PDA

View Full Version : Any kayak guys on here?

BeastMan
03-29-2016, 12:14 PM
I love fishing from the bay boat but kayak fishing is such a different experience it's fulfilling in a different way. I've found that one stud fish will make a kayak trip while 1 stud fish is a disappointment on the bay boat. Every time I go out I find something I want to tinker with. Latest project is a 4 ft pvc shallow water anchor. I want something I can stab real quick. Have all the materials just waiting on the weekend to knock it out.

SpeckleDawg
03-29-2016, 01:21 PM
I fish out of my kayak about 75% of the time now and have been doing so for years. I absolutely love it. It's just so much easier to load/unload, clean up, transport & no motor/gas/oil to worry about. A sub-par trip in the boat really can feel like a stellar day in the kayak. All that said, it's frustrating as hell when you pick a bad spot and can't find any fish. It's much harder to pick up and move than it is to just make a run to a new spot in the boat. FYI, if you haven't already done it, you really should haul the kayak to Cat Island in the bay boat and fish the bayous. It's a blast.

. Latest project is a 4 ft pvc shallow water anchor. I want something I can stab real quick. Have all the materials just waiting on the weekend to knock it out.

I made one out of an 8ft fiberglass pole that was ordered online in a group buy. I just epoxied a T handle on top and it works great. At 8ft, it's a bit cumbersome in the kayak, but it's perfect for my little jon boat that I fish lights with at night a lot.

A few pics from the last few years in the yak:

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t668/kbs68/734790_4351698832497_1549071918_n_zps16a87453.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/kbs68/media/734790_4351698832497_1549071918_n_zps16a87453.jpg. html)

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t668/kbs68/d6db212f-afcd-4afb-bb9c-e6a12be66cd6_zps6ohvgdct.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/kbs68/media/d6db212f-afcd-4afb-bb9c-e6a12be66cd6_zps6ohvgdct.jpg.html)

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t668/kbs68/054B05F7-E1B7-43C2-9443-297BB66ABC3C_zpsufenuctm.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/kbs68/media/054B05F7-E1B7-43C2-9443-297BB66ABC3C_zpsufenuctm.jpg.html)

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t668/kbs68/A3B92516-9169-4956-8814-956E1DC24840-10151-000009EC16D038F1_zpsb0433c25.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/kbs68/media/A3B92516-9169-4956-8814-956E1DC24840-10151-000009EC16D038F1_zpsb0433c25.jpg.html)

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t668/kbs68/1B506A8B-12D6-4542-AEED-3CFC2EE1ADAF_zpshn9jzleo.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/kbs68/media/1B506A8B-12D6-4542-AEED-3CFC2EE1ADAF_zpshn9jzleo.jpg.html)

sleepy dawg
03-29-2016, 01:26 PM
I love fishing from the bay boat but kayak fishing is such a different experience it's fulfilling in a different way. I've found that one stud fish will make a kayak trip while 1 stud fish is a disappointment on the bay boat. Every time I go out I find something I want to tinker with. Latest project is a 4 ft pvc shallow water anchor. I want something I can stab real quick. Have all the materials just waiting on the weekend to knock it out.

I'm a kayaker, and a fisherman, but have yet to put the 2 together. I do have a "fishing" kayak, just in case I want to start fishing from it. Most of my kayaking has been around exploring and being in nature. We dropped the other day where the Pearl river crosses Highway 25 and kayaked down the camp site before low head dam.... of course stopping every so often to make sure folks are caught up on their beer drinking.

BeastMan
03-29-2016, 03:01 PM
Great pics spec. This summer I'm definitely taking the yak to Cat. 2 spots I like that I would never try to get the boat is the small pond at smugglers point and that marsh on the north side.

Sleepy, I've just gotten in the the kayak fishing really. This is my 3rd summer with a yak, 2nd since I upgraded. I'm just now getting g comfortable with my setup and what my capabilities are. Me and 2 buddies are taking the yaks to GI in June. I'm slowly falling in love with the yak for a lot of the same reasons Speck said. It's a simplistic way to fish.

SapperDawg
03-29-2016, 08:11 PM
Got a Native Ultimate 12. I hunt out of it, and mainly fish Guntersville and and Flint River out of it. Extremely versatile, and I likely use it way more than I would a boat for a fraction of the price.

SpeckleDawg
03-30-2016, 08:27 AM
Got a Native Ultimate 12. I hunt out of it, and mainly fish Guntersville and and Flint River out of it. Extremely versatile, and I likely use it way more than I would a boat for a fraction of the price.

I have always really liked the Ultimates, but never tried one. It seems like it would be great for my marsh fishing, but not so much in open water. The storage space makes me think it would be great for paddle in camping.

SapperDawg
03-30-2016, 11:13 AM
I have always really liked the Ultimates, but never tried one. It seems like it would be great for my marsh fishing, but not so much in open water. The storage space makes me think it would be great for paddle in camping.

I have been planning a float-in camping trip down the Chickasawhay River for a while, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. You are right, though, lots of space for your gear. I regularly haul a rifle or shotgun, loaded backpack, chair and other gear for my hunting trips with no problem....and save the room in front for a boned out deer/turkey.

Works great in shallow water, but I have had no problems on the G'ville open water either. With all the $50K bass boats running around there kicking wakes like barges, I don't have to worry about any lapping and have never been wet.

I like the newer models they have out now for the functionality of the new seat design (sits higher) and ease of adding accessories with the rail system.

Uncle Ruckus
03-30-2016, 11:44 AM
I'm probably buying one when I get home from work in May. Friend of mine is a big time tournament fisher who placed 2nd in the world tournament two years ago. He's going to use his connections and get me a good deal on one, I just don't have any idea what I'm going to get

BeastMan
03-30-2016, 12:44 PM
I'm probably buying one when I get home from work in May. Friend of mine is a big time tournament fisher who placed 2nd in the world tournament two years ago. He's going to use his connections and get me a good deal on one, I just don't have any idea what I'm going to get

That's awesome. The next kayak I get (and I'm not looking) will be a peddle drive like the native propel or hobie pa.

SpeckleDawg
03-30-2016, 12:58 PM
That's awesome. The next kayak I get (and I'm not looking) will be a peddle drive like the native propel or hobie pa.

Those PA's are fine, but heavy and $$. Don't you have an Ascend? How do you like it? I have been contemplating pulling the trigger on one for a while. They appear to be a great deal for what you get. My old 14' Heritage is getting a little rough and I would like a 12' to avoid using the bed extender in the future. I really like the raised seats that most have now.

Maroonthirteen
03-30-2016, 01:45 PM
I kayak up here in North MS. One thing I would like to do, is kayak from the coast out to the barrier islands, camp a night and obviously back the next day. I am going to do it soon. I'd appreciate what you guys thought would be the best island? Month? I am trying to figure out when the bugs are not to bad and the fish are biting. I guess I should have tried it in February or this month......but life gets in the way. Fall...football and hurricanes.....

SpeckleDawg
03-30-2016, 02:13 PM
I kayak up here in North MS. One thing I would like to do, is kayak from the coast out to the barrier islands, camp a night and obviously back the next day. I am going to do it soon. I'd appreciate what you guys thought would be the best island? Month? I am trying to figure out when the bugs are not to bad and the fish are biting. I guess I should have tried it in February or this month......but life gets in the way. Fall...football and hurricanes.....

I have only done Deer Island. Yeah, it's close to shore, but still nice at night on the south side. The other islands are just so far across open water...but some people do it. If there's no wind, there's pretty much always gnats/mosquitoes. Thermacells and a fire are the only thing that helped us. Last time I went was early March, a few years ago.

Johnson85
03-30-2016, 02:17 PM

You could easily do Deer. Guessing that's probably not what you had in mind. I'd probably do Cat. A kayak will give you the most options there. And there are also people out there pretty much all the time to my knowledge, so if you ran into trouble, you'd have somebody that could help. It's probably the closest island too other than Deer. Maybe a mile closer than ship and probably a few closer than Horn.

BeastMan
03-30-2016, 03:08 PM
Those PA's are fine, but heavy and $$. Don't you have an Ascend? How do you like it? I have been contemplating pulling the trigger on one for a while. They appear to be a great deal for what you get. My old 14' Heritage is getting a little rough and I would like a 12' to avoid using the bed extender in the future. I really like the raised seats that most have now.

Love the ascend and its layout. I'm starting to get real comfortable in my capabilities in it. Very flushable platform. It's not as sturdy as some of the high end yaks. For me it's fine because I don't use it a ton. It's more an extra/supplemental tool for me. Great for the price point but there is a reason that layout if only $700. I'm happy and will have it for years but the next yak I get will be the native or hobie.

As far as kayaking to barrier islands, I'd never do that although some do. I've been caught in nasty blow ups where I was uncomfortable in a 22 ft bay boat. Deer island would be ideal for kayaks. If you're dead set on kayaking tye barrier islands, take a mother ship. There are plenty of charters that offer "island tours" so I'm sure they'd brag kayaks out there for you.

SpeckleDawg
03-30-2016, 03:48 PM
8 miles to Cat Island, 12 miles to Ship...That's a loooong way across open water in a kayak. There's a group that does the Cat Island paddle, but they have kayaks made for it, plenty of gear and several people. I know some do Horn Island, but it's still a serious trip. I can't recall the shortest distance to Horn, as I don't get over that way very often.

BeastMan
03-30-2016, 04:13 PM
8 miles to Cat Island, 12 miles to Ship...That's a loooong way across open water in a kayak. There's a group that does the Cat Island paddle, but they have kayaks made for it, plenty of gear and several people. I know some do Horn Island, but it's still a serious trip. I can't recall the shortest distance to Horn, as I don't get over that way very often.

I remember one time I fished that reef that's visible east of the pass harbor. Went from flat to choppy quickly. Then the current pulled me so hard west I ended up a quarter mile from my truck when I paddled in. That's when I decided it was marsh fishing for me.

BrunswickDawg
03-30-2016, 08:13 PM
Sapper - how is the fishing on Guntersville? I always wanted to fish there. Beautiful area.

Got to hit the water for about 90 minutes today with Dad. Caught the whiting running

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo8/BrunswickDawg/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpstaite1nn.jpeg (http://s356.photobucket.com/user/BrunswickDawg/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpstaite1nn.jpeg.html)

SapperDawg
03-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Sapper - how is the fishing on Guntersville? I always wanted to fish there. Beautiful area.

It is every bit as good as you have heard. First full moon in May I have a spot where the shellcrackers bed, and can catch a limit at any point. In the yak, a 2-wt fly rod and small popping bug in June and July is the ticket for some big bluegill and good times. Great crappie fishing in the spring and fall, and of course it is the only lake a 4 lb bass is considered average.

I could do without all the millfoil at times, but it is the reason the lake is so good.

BeastMan
03-30-2016, 09:14 PM

Got to hit the water for about 90 minutes today with Dad. Caught the whiting running

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo8/BrunswickDawg/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpstaite1nn.jpeg (http://s356.photobucket.com/user/BrunswickDawg/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpstaite1nn.jpeg.html)

Very nice catch. Delicious fish fry. We call those ground mullet but if I catch them that big in ms ill start calling it whiting in your honor lol

SpeckleDawg
03-30-2016, 09:46 PM

Very nice. I always keep any nice sized ground mullet we catch. Great eating.

greenbean
03-30-2016, 09:49 PM
We dropped the other day where the Pearl river crosses Highway 25 and kayaked down the camp site before low head dam.... of course stopping every so often to make sure folks are caught up on their beer drinking.

Two years ago I paddled the spillway to Mayes Lake on a day when the discharge was low (very little current) and the wind was blowing south to north, the canoe would almost remain stationery in the water. That was some hard paddling, oh yeah had an 8 year old too, that trip turned from fun to work quickly. The Normally 3-4 hour trip took over 6.

Can't wait to do it again!

Uncle Ruckus
03-31-2016, 12:48 PM

I'm not sure what he has now but one of my friends sponsors was Native and he had a peddle one, not sure if he's still affiliated with them or what he has. He picked them up after he got 2nd place at the Advebture Fishing World Chamionships in he Everglades. He's always winning tournaments and getting new kayaks. He wants to make the paddle to some of the barrier islands, which he probably could, but I'd end up in Cuba. My wife and I are fairly active and both love fishing so she's actually fine with me getting one....as long as she gets ones too

greenbean
03-31-2016, 07:28 PM
My wife and I are fairly active and both love fishing so she's actually fine with me getting one....as long as she gets ones too

Isn't the kitchen crowded with her kayak in there?

hailmari
04-08-2016, 12:01 PM
I'm glad to come across this thread, I've been really interested in getting a kayak for a while now. I live in north MS and I'd like to use one for fishing and general outdooring.. I sold my jon boat back in college and now I'm regretting it. What type of kayak and accessories would y'all recommend for a beginner?

I also drive an explorer, so I'm not sure how strenuous loading and unloading would be.

SpeckleDawg
04-08-2016, 12:47 PM
I'm glad to come across this thread, I've been really interested in getting a kayak for a while now. I live in north MS and I'd like to use one for fishing and general outdooring.. I sold my jon boat back in college and now I'm regretting it. What type of kayak and accessories would y'all recommend for a beginner?

I also drive an explorer, so I'm not sure how strenuous loading and unloading would be.

I would absolutely get a Sit On Top kayak. You will not want a Sit In for fishing and general outdoor use. I would say a 12' is the best all around length for most people. It tracks better than a 10', but isn't as heavy and tough to load/unload as a larger kayak. Depending on your budget, there are tons of options. I think the Ascend 12' SOT from BassPro is the best bang for you buck out there. It has a nice raised seat, rod holders and storage and some cool accessories. Accessory wise, a life jacket, paddle leash, some type of milk crate (to put tackle/gear in, behind the seat) and anchor are what I would start with. You will quickly learn what you do and don't need after a few trips. The good thing about fishing lakes and calm bodies of water is that you can use just about anything for an anchor.

ETA: If you feel that kayak might be too heavy to load/unload from the top of an SUV, Academy has some very affordable/decent quality 12' kayaks in the Perception line. They will not be quite as stable, but that just means you probably won't be able to stand up while fishing.

BeastMan
04-08-2016, 02:20 PM
The loading/unloading is easy if you have some wheels to go with it. I have the Acsend 128t and the ascend wheels that are sold separately and fit in the scupper holes. I bought a truck bed extender as well. With the wheels and extended bed it's a piece of cake to unload solo.

SapperDawg
04-08-2016, 02:52 PM
You will not want a Sit In for fishing and general outdoor use.

As the owner of a sit-inside (Native Ultimate 12), why do you think they are not for fishing or general outdoor use? I fish out of mine exclusively, and hunt deer, turkey and ducks out of it. Plenty of room to haul gear, and a slight seat riser mod makes paddling much easier.

I will agree that some of the SI's may not be that great for those uses due to the cock-pit nature, but I have a hard time labeling the Native as not for the indented uses hailmari mentioned.

HM - I have a topper on my truck and use the Yakima Hully rollers and Maiko saddle. Works fine getting it on an off the top of the truck.

SpeckleDawg
04-08-2016, 03:08 PM
As the owner of a sit-inside (Native Ultimate 12), why do you think they are not for fishing or general outdoor use? I fish out of mine exclusively, and hunt deer, turkey and ducks out of it. Plenty of room to haul gear, and a slight seat riser mod makes paddling much easier.

I will agree that some of the SI's may not be that great for those uses due to the cock-pit nature, but I have a hard time labeling the Native as not for the indented uses hailmari mentioned.

HM - I have a topper on my truck and use the Yakima Hully rollers and Maiko saddle. Works fine getting it on an off the top of the truck.

I don't consider the Native Ultimate to be a Sit In at all...I would consider that a hybrid, I guess. It's got tons of storage and I actually really like those. My problem with the standard sit in's for fishing is the, as you stated, closed in cockpit style. They don't have the same storage abilities, with easy access. They are also hot as hell just sitting in the sun fishing.

eta: just noticed that Native actually calls them a hybrid.

SapperDawg
04-08-2016, 03:17 PM
I don't consider the Native Ultimate to be a Sit In at all...I would consider that a hybrid, I guess. It's got tons of storage and I actually really like those. My problem with the standard sit in's for fishing is the, as you stated, closed in cockpit style. They don't have the same storage abilities, with easy access. They are also hot as hell just sitting in the sun fishing.

eta: just noticed that Native actually calls them a hybrid.

Gotcha. I fished a cockpit sytle sit-inside in VA and it is truly a sweat-box.

Uncle Ruckus
04-09-2016, 09:25 AM

I would think a sit in would not be good in the gulf if you were to take on a swell