PDA

View Full Version : Dak Prescott

CadaverDawg
08-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Here's an interview with Dak. Something about his demeanor and the way he seems to be such a team first guy, really has me anxious for him to start getting some playing time. I like that he and Russell have a good relationship too.

I think the next few years are going to be fun to watch.

http://youtu.be/_MwmcgdBPc4

Goat Holder
08-14-2013, 03:12 PM
He'll probably get 25% of the snaps this year. All you Dak-lovers will get your wish. And yes he's a good guy.

RougeDawg
08-14-2013, 03:43 PM
He'll probably get 25% of the snaps this year. All you Dak-lovers will get your wish. And yes he's a good guy.

Around him? A QB we've all been waiting for, for a long time. A player that other schools went after too late, including LSU?

Goat Holder
08-14-2013, 03:54 PM
All of them, until he doesn't throw for 3,000 yards and run for 2,000. Then everybody will start calling for Williams or Staley.

Rinse, repeat. This is the MSU QB curse.

CadaverDawg
08-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Around him? A QB we've all been waiting for, for a long time. A player that other schools went after too late, including LSU?

Yep.

But Goat tries to make it a Dak vs Russell thing, and it's not. It's just that we are ready to see our offense get back to a system that has shown success, and a QB that fits said system. Tyler is a great pro style QB, and I really hope we go to a lot of pro style sets this year so that he can prove just how bad ass he is.

If Mullen goes pro style, Russell will make him look like a genius because Russell would be great in a pro style. If Mullen goes half assed spread option like last year, then we might as well have Dak in there. Same goes for Dak in the opposite ways.

CadaverDawg
08-14-2013, 04:05 PM
All of them, until he doesn't throw for 3,000 yards and run for 2,000. Then everybody will start calling for Williams or Staley.

Rinse, repeat. This is the MSU QB curse.

Like I said. The ONLY argument against what I believe about the QB vs the system is to try and turn it into a "every fan loves the backup" bullshit argument, when you know that's not what I'm saying.

My complaint is more about the scheme than the QB. I agree that Russell should be our QB bc he is REAL good and could help us with future QB recruiting. My thing is, if Mullen isn't going to FULLY commit the offense to suit Tyler, then we may as well go full steam ahead with Dak. Because a Relf style O with a young Prescott can be more effective than a half assed spread option with a passing QB at the helms.

Either go all in with Russell and go pro style, or quit being cute, put Dak in, go Relf Coast style, and win some f'n big games. That's all i'm saying. It ain't about Tyler or Dak...it ain't about starter vs backup....it's about putting in the best QB for success. And unless we are running a pro style offense (which hopefully we are running a version of this year), our best option is to go with what has worked and what our team is built around, which is a dual threat QB. I like Tyler and want to see him go pro, so hopefully Mullen goes with a pro style look a majority of the time this year. (But I have my doubts)

Dawg61
08-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Tim Tebow freshman stats: http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/183484/tim-tebow

Alex Smith freshman stats: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/alex-smith-3.html

Dak Prescott freshman stats: http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/512030/dak-prescott

Now here's to hoping Dak follows the same progression these other 2 Mullen QB's did.

Dawg61
08-14-2013, 04:12 PM
I think Tyler put it best when he said Dak isn't the backup QB he's the "other QB". Meaning Mullen plans to use both a lot. Both players are weapons and both are two of our best offensive weapons so they both will play. I like that. It gives Dak great experience without throwing him into a full workload job. Next year the QB snaps will be 100% his. With his physical style of play you have to consider he might not be healthy long enough to complete more than two seasons at 100% snaps. Hopefully he will and Mullen will maximize his potential for 2 seasons.

Goat Holder
08-14-2013, 05:10 PM
What exactly was wrong with our offense in 2009 again? Run by a pro-style QB, with a run-first dual-threat coming in every now and again. Why is this such a bad thing?

The key isn't to run pro-style stuff. It's to mold MULLEN'S offense to Tyler's strengths. And they are doing that, and they did that last year. It worked against the teams where we had comparable talent. It didn't work vs. the ones where it didn't (Don't give me the NW and Egg Bowl crap, I know they played bad in those games). Russell's going to have to run the ball every now and then, similar to Tyson Lee. And a RB is going to have to step up and carry the load.

Goat Holder
08-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Either go all in with Russell and go pro style, or quit being cute, put Dak in, go Relf Coast style, and win some f'n big games. That's all i'm saying.

I hope you don't really think it's this simple.

CadaverDawg
08-14-2013, 05:26 PM
What exactly was wrong with our offense in 2009 again? Run by a pro-style QB, with a run-first dual-threat coming in every now and again. Why is this such a bad thing?

The key isn't to run pro-style stuff. It's to mold MULLEN'S offense to Tyler's strengths. And they are doing that, and they did that last year. It worked against the teams where we had comparable talent. It didn't work vs. the ones where it didn't (Don't give me the NW and Egg Bowl crap, I know they played bad in those games). Russell's going to have to run the ball every now and then, similar to Tyson Lee. And a RB is going to have to step up and carry the load.

Haha, are you kidding me?

Comparing Tyson Lee to Russell is wrong on so many levels. Russell way better arm, Lee way better legs.

Why is it a bad thing? It's not IF...IF goat...IF we are truly fitting the offense to Tyler. But last year we didn't do that. And to say that it was effective against teams with comparable talent?? What the hell are you talking about? Are you saying that Troy had comparable talent to us? In other words, you are saying our offense was good enough to beat the shit teams but not nearly good enough to beat anyone worth a shit. We had comparable talent to Ole Miss and NW....better talent actually....but we sucked offensively against them. Why? Because we couldn't run the damn football.

So this year, we're going to lack experience at WR, yet you feel like last year's offense would be "ok" for this season? We will get blasted by any defense with a pulse this year if we run the exact same offense as last year. Because Bumphis, Smith, and Clark won't be there. We have GOT to run the ball. And if Tyler is not a threat to run, then we are ruining our chances of a good running game by having him in shotgun. Because not only does it take away any semblance of a play action, but it makes Perk a sitting duck in the back field on running plays.

So the reason I don't like the Tyler 75%, Dak 25%, is because so far we have not run an offense that truly suits Russell. You can be fooled by Russell's passing record all you want to, but until we can run the football we aren't beating the SEC West teams that aren't having down years.....and all but 2-3 of those teams are "comparable" to us talent wise right now.

So again, IF Mullen changes things to truly fit Russell, we should be fine and improved from last year. But if we do most of our running from a shotgun formation with Russell at QB.....we will not succeed this year because our schedule is too tough to not be able to run the football in big games. Period. I don't care what the stats look like at the end of the season, if we can't run the ball we won't beat OSU, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and maybe even Bowling Green. Damn sure aint beating Bama, A&M, or USC with no running game either. And it's too easy to defend our running game when Tyler is running a spread run out of shotgun.

Luckily, things have supposedly changed with our offense. But until I see major change, I do not feel we can win more than 6 games against this schedule with Russell at QB in a shotgun formation greater than 50% of the time. I hope like hell I'm wrong though.

CadaverDawg
08-14-2013, 05:33 PM
I hope you don't really think it's this simple.

Actually it can be. And if Dak had not been injured, it really could be that simple.

Think about it....

We have no experience at WR.
We have huge OLine experience.
We have huge RB experience.
We have a big physical dual threat that can run and play action.
We have a defense that should be much improved and should keep us in many games this year.

We are built for a running attack this year just like we were in 2010.

Now, think about this.....

IF we put Tyler in a more play action friendly offense. Put Holmes/Johnson in an H back role to make defenses respect run and/or pass each play, plus give our tiny RB a lead blocker. And allow Russell to not be a sitting duck in the pocket whether he is running or passing like we do in the spread run we ran last year. We can be super effective by having a power running game AND a legit passing attack with tons of targets and a lot of confusion for defenses.

Goat, when you are running a dual threat offense with a single threat QB, it is not going to work by "tweaking" it. Last year proved that. You have to make major changes, or else get a dual threat in there. And again, I am hopeful that those major changes were finally made like they should have been for Russell last year.

Goat Holder
08-14-2013, 05:41 PM
And to say that it was effective against teams with comparable talent?? What the hell are you talking about? Are you saying that Troy had comparable talent to us? In other words, you are saying our offense was good enough to beat the shit teams but not nearly good enough to beat anyone worth a shit. We had comparable talent to Ole Miss and NW....better talent actually....but we sucked offensively against them. Why? Because we couldn't run the damn football.

Auburn, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas and the rest that we out-talented. We obviously couldn't go toe to toe with Alabama, Texas A&M and LSU (although we played well there). Ole Miss and Northwestern simply came into those game ready to play. They wanted it more than we did. Period.

So this year, we're going to lack experience at WR, yet you feel like last year's offense would be "ok" for this season? We will get blasted by any defense with a pulse this year if we run the exact same offense as last year. Because Bumphis, Smith, and Clark won't be there. We have GOT to run the ball. And if Tyler is not a threat to run, then we are ruining our chances of a good running game by having him in shotgun. Because not only does it take away any semblance of a play action, but it makes Perk a sitting duck in the back field on running plays.

The running game will get better because we've got a year older OL and HOPEFULLY a true bruising RB or two that's ready to break out (Griffin, Shumpert).

I just disagree with you on all this scheme stuff. It's not as important as you all make it out to be. And yes, I think Russell's mobility is VERY comparable to Lee's. I can't believe you all are wanting to change up the offense when it's literally the best it's ever been at MSU.

CadaverDawg
08-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Auburn, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas and the rest that we out-talented. We obviously couldn't go toe to toe with Alabama, Texas A&M and LSU (although we played well there). Ole Miss and Northwestern simply came into those game ready to play. They wanted it more than we did. Period.

The running game will get better because we've got a year older OL and HOPEFULLY a true bruising RB or two that's ready to break out (Griffin, Shumpert).

I just disagree with you on all this scheme stuff. It's not as important as you all make it out to be. And yes, I think Russell's mobility is VERY comparable to Lee's. I can't believe you all are wanting to change up the offense when it's literally the best it's ever been at MSU.

So this offense is better than 2010? Come on, man.

And speaking of "not that simple"....a better running game is not as simple as just having a great back and another year on the OLine. We can't just line up and run it down people's throats because we have Seniors instead of Juniors. You still have to call plays and have a strategy goat. We didn't run the ball at all against any decent team last year. What makes you think we could take the same offensive scheme out there this year and suddenly run the ball on Ole Miss? Because our line,an and RB are a year older? Gonna take more than that I'm afraid. Our play calling has been bad, and the reason why is because we are/were limited on what we could do because the system didn't fit Russell last year. That's why we abandoned our running game in most games.....because we had no way to run the ball effectively from shotgun with a concrete statue and a 190 LB back that most SEC teams can arm tackle.

We have zero physicality on offense with Russell in the game in a shotgun formation.

DoggyStyle
08-14-2013, 05:52 PM
I feel like we could win 10 games this year if Dak was given full control. I know that we need to be loyal to Tyler, but I would honestly rather win games. Maybe let Tyler play a few series a game until we get up big. JMO

CadaverDawg
08-14-2013, 05:53 PM
I feel like we could win 10 games this year if Dak was given full control. I know that we need to be loyal to Tyler, but I would honestly rather win games. Maybe let Tyler play a few series a game until we get up big. JMO

You're not even a fun troll. Why has this douche not been banned yet?

Goat Holder
08-14-2013, 06:05 PM

Maybe, maybe not. That offense also had Derek Sherrod and Vick Ballard. And what was really so much better back then? We didn't really whip anybody on offense except Michigan, who was starting like 10 freshmen.

And speaking of "not that simple"....a better running game is not as simple as just having a great back and another year on the OLine. We can't just line up and run it down people's throats because we have Seniors instead of Juniors. You still have to call plays and have a strategy goat. We didn't run the ball at all against any decent team last year. What makes you think we could take the same offensive scheme out there this year and suddenly run the ball on Ole Miss? Because our line,an and RB are a year older? Gonna take more than that I'm afraid. Our play calling has been bad, and the reason why is because we are/were limited on what we could do because the system didn't fit Russell last year. That's why we abandoned our running game in most games.....because we had no way to run the ball effectively from shotgun with a concrete statue and a 190 LB back that most SEC teams can arm tackle.

Now you're starting to speak my language. I agree with the physical part too. Prescott can probably help with that. Truth is likely in the middle.

I mean, I understand your frustration with the offense. I guess I just realized a few years ago that at some point, the other teams are just better than you. Can we improve? Sure. I guess I'm just not 'as' down on the offense as some are.

DoggyStyle
08-14-2013, 07:34 PM
You're not even a fun troll. Why has this douche not been banned yet?

What the hell are you talking about? Dak gives us our best chance to win in my opinion. Tyler is a damn good quarterback and I love the kid, but I want wins, I want what is best for our program not what is in the best interest of one player.

If you are talking about my topic that was locked, I was passing on info that I was emailed. It does sound a little out there but it's not crazy to believe that it's true.

If you've still got a stick up your ass then go screw yourself. I have been a lifelong bulldog fan. Graduated in 2001 with civil engineering degree and donate a shit load of money to MY school. I live in Madison, ms and drive to EVERY game home or away. So take that troll bs somewhere else. Are you the guy that called one of our own players a troll last night??

FlabLoser
08-14-2013, 07:43 PM
No pissing contests allowed. Strike two.

CadaverDawg
08-14-2013, 08:05 PM
What the hell are you talking about? Dak gives us our best chance to win in my opinion. Tyler is a damn good quarterback and I love the kid, but I want wins, I want what is best for our program not what is in the best interest of one player.

If you are talking about my topic that was locked, I was passing on info that I was emailed. It does sound a little out there but it's not crazy to believe that it's true.

If you've still got a stick up your ass then go screw yourself. I have been a lifelong bulldog fan. Graduated in 2001 with civil engineering degree and donate a shit load of money to MY school. I live in Madison, ms and drive to EVERY game home or away. So take that troll bs somewhere else. Are you the guy that called one of our own players a troll last night??

Nope, wasn't me buddy.

And as for you not being a troll, the jury is still out on that. But if you aren't a troll, you definitely make some very outlandish posts starting out your time over here, so I'm sure I'm not the only one who has their doubts.

If you are just true Bulldog and I labeled you wrong, my apologies. I was just basing it off of some very odd and over the top first posts.

SallyStansbury
08-14-2013, 09:16 PM

We have zero physicality on offense with Russell in the game in a shotgun formation.

Agree very much with this post and feel that it is well written. Of course it will be Koenig's fault. Much screaming on headphone by Dan. No use of tight ends, very predictable play calling, that is what I fear the most .....Dan loves to chest bump Hevesy about tough guy, establish the run, etc but when it is the same ole shit every time we are easy to stop. Dan is stubborn to a fault and with no changes on O side I have little reason to expect much different play calling.

I watched Dan's lecture to the stats class or whatever class that was and he was pretty determined that his perk up the gut was good for 3-4 yards and it was a good set up play for other stuff. However teams could count on the predictability of when that was coming and tee off on his 185 lb ass. Then what, second and nine, jam the receivers, plow our shitty/injured tackles and kill TR. he took some really tough hits. We didn't adjust, didn't counter. Just pouting. Gotta have better this year. Must be relentless.

I have seen arguments that we won't get a qb to come here if we bench TR. don't judge Dan this year, that is stupid. If we have a better chance to win with Dak or Dan is too stubborn or incappable to make it work(adjust) withTR then he is damn well responsible if he doesn't play Dak. AU and OSU are two of those toss ups that come early.......really looking for more out of the O scheme.

Dawg61
08-14-2013, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE.......really looking for more out of the O scheme.[/QUOTE]

Ha I guess so

FISHDAWG
08-15-2013, 08:53 AM
I think Tyler put it best when he said Dak isn't the backup QB he's the "other QB". Meaning Mullen plans to use both a lot. Both players are weapons and both are two of our best offensive weapons so they both will play. I like that. It gives Dak great experience without throwing him into a full workload job. Next year the QB snaps will be 100% his. With his physical style of play you have to consider he might not be healthy long enough to complete more than two seasons at 100% snaps. Hopefully he will and Mullen will maximize his potential for 2 seasons.

I would have loved to see this against aTm, Bama, & Northwestern last year when our basic offensive game plan just wasn't working