PDA

View Full Version : New freeze law to hurt col reb recruiting

Apoplectic
03-27-2016, 05:39 PM
http://http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/burner-phones-could-be-made-illegal-under-law-that-would-require-personal-details-of-anyone-buying-a-a6955396.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/burner-phones-could-be-made-illegal-under-law-that-would-require-personal-details-of-anyone-buying-a-a6955396.html)

War Machine Dawg
03-27-2016, 07:09 PM
The nanny state run amok. "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin

RocketDawg
03-27-2016, 07:13 PM
The nanny state run amok. "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin

Not only that, it won't stop or reduce terrorism. It's analogous to many gun laws ... you could totally outlaw them and criminals would still get them (and I'm not opposed to some degree of gun control).

smootness
03-27-2016, 07:23 PM
Not only that, it won't stop or reduce terrorism. It's analogous to many gun laws ... you could totally outlaw them and criminals would still get them (and I'm not opposed to some degree of gun control).

Eh, not really analogous. You can cut service to a phone. Once a gun is made, it's operational.

Bully13
03-27-2016, 07:30 PM

You need to post more on the political board

turkish
03-27-2016, 07:51 PM
Free doesn't mean without risk.

Apoplectic
03-27-2016, 08:10 PM
I think it is a wise move. Why not make it harder for terrorist, drug dealers, pedophiles, and hugh freeze to conduct illegal activities?

BayouDawg
03-27-2016, 08:21 PM
The problem is that there is a little thing called the black market where criminals will continue to get burner phones, guns, drugs, etc. Criminals/terrorists aren't going to go "wait guys these items are banned now we can't use them anymore". These people have no regard for the law.

smootness
03-27-2016, 08:38 PM
The problem is that there is a little thing called the black market where criminals will continue to get burner phones, guns, drugs, etc. Criminals/terrorists aren't going to go "wait guys these items are banned now we can't use them anymore". These people have no regard for the law.

Again, phones are different because a third party has to supply the service.

DanDority
03-27-2016, 08:40 PM
You need to post more on the political board

Please WMD come join us.

BayouDawg
03-27-2016, 08:43 PM
This is true and the burner phones don't bother me. What bothers me is the talks of our government wanting to do away with encryption. Take away encryption from innocent people knowing good and well the criminals will have their stuff encrypted the same as they always have. Not to mention make it easier for China to continue to steal our technology

Coach34
03-27-2016, 08:49 PM
I think it is a wise move. Why not make it harder for terrorist, drug dealers, pedophiles, and hugh freeze to conduct illegal activities?

good post

DancingRabbit
03-27-2016, 08:57 PM
Again, phones are different because a third party has to supply the service.

Like BayouDawg said, a black market will emerge to fill the void. People will buy phones and sell them on the black market. The carrier has no idea the phone changed hands.

Even if you totally ban prepaid phones there will be a workaround. Sux but that's the way it is.

archdog
03-27-2016, 08:59 PM

Yeah Ben Franklin didn't have to deal with 24 hour news networks and a global economy. But yeah that statement is pretty much still valid.

Truthfully though, it is a very wise statement which still rings true today. Unfortunately if everyone would be honest with themselves, they see this as a necessity in today's day and age. We are no longer dealing with people on a frontier that may attack a few settlers on the edge of civilization. These are people capable of orchestrating a mass casualty attack which seemingly is all but unstoppable. Guerrilla warfare at its best/worst. Using simple technology that has no loose ends. One ideology against another where no one can possible win.

Ben Franklin is still right today, but on this Easter Sunday, I would love to hear one iota of a solution to the present day jihadist issue.

Maybe we all should take a page out of the Pope's playbook last week and humble ourselves by washing the feet of the other ideology.

smootness
03-27-2016, 09:02 PM
Like BayouDawg said, a black market will emerge to fill the void. People will buy phones and sell them on the black market. The carrier has no idea the phone changed hands.

Even if you totally ban prepaid phones there will be a workaround. Sux but that's the way it is.

Huh? So someone buys the phone legitimately, using their own personal information, and then sells the phone? Why on earth would someone do that?

BayouDawg
03-27-2016, 09:03 PM

And I'm pretty sure that if a terrorist comes in from another country with a couple of burners already in hand form said country there's nothing the "ban" can do about it. I'm no tech expert so I could be wrong

Westdawg
03-27-2016, 09:06 PM
How about you do what was done back in the time of Tripoli/Marines - show up with no holds barred, and kick them back so hard they stop for a couple hundred years.....but that would go against our PC society today.

BayouDawg
03-27-2016, 09:10 PM
I would love to hear one iota of a solution to the present day jihadist issue.

Send them on a cleanse trip to Haiti with the reverend freezus?**

DancingRabbit
03-27-2016, 09:11 PM
Huh? So someone buys the phone legitimately, using their own personal information, and then sells the phone? Why on earth would someone do that?

People get multiple scrips and sell oxycodone, people sell their own blood. Sure, the price for a black market prepaid phone would go up but where there's a market there will be sellers.

archdog
03-27-2016, 09:12 PM

Most people are not opposed to some level of gun control. The issue is what level would the government stop controlling. No one knows, and that is the issue. Hell I am a liberal and I have an issue with anything that limits our constitutional rights. That being said, I already am not allowed to own some types of firearms. I believe people's typical reaction of zero new gun laws is ridiculous, but I do see where they are coming from. And I am cool with their point of view.

BayouDawg
03-27-2016, 09:14 PM
How about you do what was done back in the time of Tripoli/Marines - show up with no holds barred, and kick them back so hard they stop for a couple hundred years.....but that would go against our PC society today.

Agreed. We need to do what ol' Teddy said, "walk softly but carry a big stick".

BeardoMSU
03-27-2016, 09:16 PM

The only way to stop a bad guy with a burner phone, is a good guy with a burner phone!!**

smootness
03-27-2016, 09:19 PM
People get multiple scrips and sell oxycodone, people sell their own blood. Sure, the price for a black market prepaid phone would go up but where there's a market there will be sellers.

You're missing my point. Their personal information would be tied to that phone. So it would still be susceptible to surveillance by the government but whatever those people did would first be tied to the original buyer. So that original buyer would then be arrested for illegally selling his phone while also having the massive headache of a potential government investigation on his hands.

So, again...why would someone do that?

And again, those phones would still be available for surveillance. So, what's the problem here?

BayouDawg
03-27-2016, 09:22 PM
You're missing my point. Their personal information would be tied to that phone. So it would still be susceptible to surveillance by the government but whatever those people did would first be tied to the original buyer. So that original buyer would then be arrested for illegally selling his phone while also having the massive headache of a potential government investigation on his hands.

And again, those phones would still be available for surveillance. So, what's the problem here?

I agree for the most part, but what do you do about burners already purchased in another country and brought here? I guess they could be confiscated at customs

smootness
03-27-2016, 09:30 PM
I agree for the most part, but what do you do about burners already purchased in another country and brought here? I guess they could be confiscated at customs

I don't know. But that's not a great reason for refusing to help the situation at all.

I'm not even saying this is a great plan. I understand the issues of liberty vs. safety and generally side with liberty. I'm just saying that the analogy to a black market for guns/drugs is not a good one.

DancingRabbit
03-27-2016, 09:31 PM

What causes that phone to come under surveillance? People will say they lost the phone. There's always stupid people around looking to make an easy buck.

BayouDawg
03-27-2016, 09:36 PM
I don't know. But that's not a great reason for refusing to help the situation at all.

I'm not even saying this is a great plan. I understand the issues of liberty vs. safety and generally side with liberty. I'm just saying that the analogy to a black market for guns/drugs is not a good one.

Overall it's not really a big deal. It won't affect anything one way or the other. It may help a little with the war on drugs (which is probably the main reason for this ban), but it won't have any effect on terrorism. I won't get into my opinions on the way to deal with war on terror in this thread because that would probably turn this thread to shit in a hurry

Maroonthirteen
03-27-2016, 10:24 PM
Y'all realize not long ago. You could walk into any Walgreen's, etc. buy and load a prepaid debit card without any identification. However, now you must show a government ID to the clerk to load the card.

Regulation is going to happen with phones too.

BayouDawg
03-27-2016, 10:33 PM
Y'all realize not long ago. You could walk into any Walgreen's, etc. and buy a prepaid debit card without any identification. However, now you must show a government ID to the clerk to load the card.

Regulation is going to happen with phones too.

Oh no doubt. The question is how much regulation is too much/little?