PDA

View Full Version : Georgia series thoughts- and Perception Week

Todd4State
03-26-2016, 11:27 PM
I think I can Cliff4State it by saying I think I am like most people that I am happy we won the series, but not happy that we didn't get the sweep.

Hudson was awesome again and I hope he keeps up this roll that he is on. Ethan Small has so much potential- he's going have a chance to be a first round pick in two years as long as he stays healthy. Very impressive Friday night.

Sexton is getting better and better too- he's really tough at home. And he went up against Georgia's ace and pitched almost as well. Rigby is becoming a reliable option in our bullpen which is much needed.

Now obviously Sunday we have an issue and we can't expect to JohnnyWholestaff it in the SEC. It just won't happen. I don't know that there is a great solution at this point, but what I would do if it were me next week is I would start Zac Houston and then bring in Daniel Brown. And quite frankly, I thought that is what Cohen and Wes would do today. I can understand their thinking by starting Keegan and I'm not criticizing that- but I think with all of our freshmen pitchers at this point really none of them are quite ready yet. At the same time, I think everyone sees how high their ceilings are as players. It's kind of like your favorite MLB team having a really good pitching prospect that is going to be really good and may have better stuff than the guys that are in MLB- but they would get shelled in MLB simply because they just aren't ready yet from a mental/physical/baseball standpoint. Like Keegan James- a big game for him at this time last year would have been against Oak Grove, Madison Central, or Tupelo. Now it's Vanderbilt, Florida, or LSU. HUGE difference.

But back to Houston- my thinking is per rumor he WANTS to start. And I think letting him do that he might perform better than out of the bullpen in a jam. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten a chance to start again to be honest with you- his last start he struck out 10 and walked 1 and didn't allow any runs, yes against Nicholls but still. But from a pitching technical standpoint, I think Houston would also do better where he has a set routine and doesn't have to warm up quickly.

And when I say "Houston starts"- I'm not thinking of him going 6 IP. I'm thinking more like 3 here. And then follow him up with Daniel Brown. I was looking at the games that Brown has pitched in this year. The first time through the order he is VERY good. The exception being Vanderbilt where we made 2-3 errors behind him and even there most of those runs were unearned. And you look at today- really the same pattern occurred again for the most part. Also, I did watch Brown's bullpen session before Oregon this year and one thing that stood out to me was how quickly he got ready. He's not going to be Lindgren or Girodo- but I think he could give us 2-3 on most Sunday's. I would take him out as soon as he gets through the order though.

Another thing that I think would help the bullpen would be to start using Rigby more- as in Friday and Sunday. His ERA is like 0.87 which speaks for itself. And now, this may be God getting me back for being critical of Ross last year, but I think Tatum is slowly getting better- but he's certainly not where he was either. I do think he will get back to where he has been before and he didn't give up any home runs this weekend which is progress although he was still certainly hit hard at times. Blake Smith has to get a little better too. Kale Breaux has been reliable for one inning at a time and we didn't even use Humphreys on the mound this weekend. Hopefully Ethan Small turned a corner this weekend as well. Pilkington might figure in at some point as well if he keeps pitching well.

Elih Marrero is our most improved freshman from game one to this point. Ed Easley was the best catcher I have ever seen at MSU- and Elih might pass him at some point. He's all the way up to .277. I guess Gavin will be Sexton's personal catcher for the rest of this year.

GREAT to see Lowe come through after all the hard luck he has had this year at the plate. And against his home state team. I bet he keeps it up too. Gavin keeps improving every week at third base. Kudos to him. He's struggling at the plate some- maybe because he is focusing on his defense so much. But he's still taking some good at bats.

Also good to see John Holland coming back from the dead. Just in time for Easter- Lazarus would approve. He looks SO much better defensively than he was last year and he's hitting the ball better too. I have to think that Holland and Gridley are our best MIF right now. LA is still a good option as a late inning defender.

We have five good outfielders right now- but Rooker needs to get it going again. Robson had a good weekend- I thought Georgia did a good job of controlling our running game though and that limited what we could do on offense somewhat. The Reid Humphreys comparisons to Hunter Renfroe offensively are interesting. Not sure why they started- but he is hitting a LOT better. He had a nice oppo home run in game one and that really impressed me. Cody Brown is still solid but Jake Mangum is winning me over. He just keeps coming up with big hits over and over.

Jack Kruger is struggling some right now- and no I don't understand why we have been asking him to bunt so much lately.

Now- this week is perception week. In other words we play USM and of course Ole Miss this weekend. If we do well this week it's going to go a LONG way as far as how our fans see our program (right or wrong) and also if we do well we could potentially make a HUGE jump in RPI. USM is always going to be tough because we are one of their World Series games. USM is having a good year this year- they just swept Texas San Antonio and they do have a midweek win over Alabama who has not been very good midweek lately. I do think that USM will likely end up in a regional this year, so it's a big game and we need to show up and hopefully Cohen won't pull an Eastern Kentucky on us in Jackson. I'm expecting Pilkington to start and I'll be interested to see how he does against a really strong team.

We're still developing as a team- but we seem to be getting better and better. I loved the fire that Robson showed today sticking up for Kruger even though it nearly started a fight. That's usually a good sign. We just have to find a Sunday starter and maybe tweak how we use the bullpen a little bit- but overall we're in a good spot right now.

Commercecomet24
03-26-2016, 11:58 PM
Another good assessment, Todd. I really hope Zac gets a chance to start again. Known him and his dad awhile and he's a good kid and tough competitior. Needs better secondary pitches though
to be really successful as a starter. I think the team starting to gel and the future looks great. Good info once again.

Intramural All-American
03-27-2016, 12:09 AM
I thought it was very poor usage of Blake smith today. We burned him early and didn't get much out of him. He would have been very helpful later today, and I didn't think James had done poorly enough to warrant getting the tank mid batter when he was up 1-2.

CadaverDawg
03-27-2016, 12:43 AM
Good stuff.

Tatum is killing us. Needed him to be either that 3rd starter or a hoss out of the pen this year...he's been neither. Hurts.

Houston just seems to get shelled. He & Tatum almost seem like their fastballs have flattened out due to throwing harder or something. Less movement or something. He's killing us too.

Blake Smith is ok, but I just don't know if he has the stuff necessary to give us key SEC innings.

Daniel Brown doesn't seem to have the mental makeup. I have no confidence in him.

We have a major situation on Sundays. It looks like one of the following is going to have to step up and be the guy, and the others will have to get us midweek W's & relief....

Breaux
Small
Pilkington
Rigby
Hughes
James

We'll see if these can help....
Smith
Tatum
Houston

Just my opinion.

I seen it dawg
03-27-2016, 09:18 AM
Offense isn't the issue. Cohen will always do stupid shit but we are talented enough to where we are gonna score runs. Friday and Saturday pitching isn't the problem.

Somebody out of that new group of pitchers is going to have to step up because Brown, Houston, Tatum group just stinks. We have to have someone that can give us 5+ quality innings. They don't have to be great but they have to be enough to not tax our pen and to keep us in games.

We did a disservice to Hughes and Brown and our team yesterday by not pulling them quick enough. Both situations warranted it and we waited 1-2 hitters too long and the game changing damage was done. Our pen was fresh so there was no excuse for waiting as we did. Terrible coaching decisions there and I believe it cost us the game.

CadaverDawg
03-27-2016, 09:58 AM
Offense isn't the issue. Cohen will always do stupid shit but we are talented enough to where we are gonna score runs. Friday and Saturday pitching isn't the problem.

Somebody out of that new group of pitchers is going to have to step up because Brown, Houston, Tatum group just stinks. We have to have someone that can give us 5+ quality innings. They don't have to be great but they have to be enough to not tax our pen and to keep us in games.

We did a disservice to Hughes and Brown and our team yesterday by not pulling them quick enough. Both situations warranted it and we waited 1-2 hitters too long and the game changing damage was done. Our pen was fresh so there was no excuse for waiting as we did. Terrible coaching decisions there and I believe it cost us the game.

I agree.

mic
03-27-2016, 10:03 AM
Out of the 14 SEC schools there might be 2 or 3 Ligit Sunday guys.. Everyone will be trying to piece together wins in the finale. Shit UMiss brought in closer Short in the 4th yesterday... And yes we will win a few of these 8 games we have left...

Houston out of the pen isn't working.. Im not saying start him on Sunday by any means, but please don't run him out there in relief.. He doesn't have the mind set for that..
And Tatum isn't working period..

And I agree with the Brown / Hugehs decisions .. We had quick hooks on the others should have done the same here..
All we need is a couple of guys to give us 2-3innings each on Sunday.. They don't even have to be lights out innings. Just throw up a few zeros..
Shit will all the arms we have outside of Hud and Sex, one or two guys freshman or not can step up and give us some quality innings.. Odds are we will score 5+ on Sunday...

maroonmania
03-27-2016, 01:03 PM
Out of the 14 SEC schools there might be 2 or 3 Ligit Sunday guys.. Everyone will be trying to piece together wins in the finale. Shit UMiss brought in closer Short in the 4th yesterday... And yes we will win a few of these 8 games we have left...

Houston out of the pen isn't working.. Im not saying start him on Sunday by any means, but please don't run him out there in relief.. He doesn't have the mind set for that..
And Tatum isn't working period..

And I agree with the Brown / Hugehs decisions .. We had quick hooks on the others should have done the same here..
All we need is a couple of guys to give us 2-3innings each on Sunday.. They don't even have to be lights out innings. Just throw up a few zeros..
Shit will all the arms we have outside of Hud and Sex, one or two guys freshman or not can step up and give us some quality innings.. Odds are we will score 5+ on Sunday...

Yes, but not a whole lot SEC teams giving up double digit runs every Sunday I bet. We don't need an ace on Sunday but we shouldn't go from giving up 3 runs or less in the first 2 games of the series to 10+ on Sundays. Yesterday we basically pulled another EKU giving up 6 runs in the last 2 innings. That just can't happen.

Irondawg
03-27-2016, 03:48 PM
Why didn't we use humphries on the mound Sat?

Todd4State
03-27-2016, 04:15 PM
I thought it was very poor usage of Blake smith today. We burned him early and didn't get much out of him. He would have been very helpful later today, and I didn't think James had done poorly enough to warrant getting the tank mid batter when he was up 1-2.

I agree and the pitching staff usage is my biggest complaint with our coaching staff.

Todd4State
03-27-2016, 04:19 PM
Good stuff.

Tatum is killing us. Needed him to be either that 3rd starter or a hoss out of the pen this year...he's been neither. Hurts.

Houston just seems to get shelled. He & Tatum almost seem like their fastballs have flattened out due to throwing harder or something. Less movement or something. He's killing us too.

Blake Smith is ok, but I just don't know if he has the stuff necessary to give us key SEC innings.

Daniel Brown doesn't seem to have the mental makeup. I have no confidence in him.

We have a major situation on Sundays. It looks like one of the following is going to have to step up and be the guy, and the others will have to get us midweek W's & relief....

Breaux
Small
Pilkington
Rigby
Hughes
James

We'll see if these can help....
Smith
Tatum
Houston

Just my opinion.

That's the trade off with velocity sometimes- less movement.

Brown is actually really good one time through the order based on my research. It's just a matter of using him PROPERLY and not asking him to do too much or something he isn't suited to do. Wes needs to pull a Butch and do a piggy back thing on Sunday.

Todd4State
03-27-2016, 04:23 PM

I agree. We basically treated the Sunday game of a SEC series like it was midweek vs. Valley. That's unacceptable. I have a feeling that Pilkington is going to get the next Sunday audition assuming he pitches well Tuesday.

The vast majority of our losses and our tie are all due to leaving pitchers in too long.

Todd4State
03-27-2016, 04:23 PM
Yes, but not a whole lot SEC teams giving up double digit runs every Sunday I bet. We don't need an ace on Sunday but we shouldn't go from giving up 3 runs or less in the first 2 games of the series to 10+ on Sundays. Yesterday we basically pulled another EKU giving up 6 runs in the last 2 innings. That just can't happen.

You are right about us pulling an EKU. It's just that this time we didn't blow a huge lead.

Brando
03-27-2016, 06:04 PM
That's the trade off with velocity sometimes- less movement.

Brown is actually really good one time through the order based on my research. It's just a matter of using him PROPERLY and not asking him to do too much or something he isn't suited to do. Wes needs to pull a Butch and do a piggy back thing on Sunday.
That" why I would like to see him in the closer role for good! With Dakota and Sexton, I feel alot of games are going to be closeish toward the end and it would benefit us to have a shutdown closer to use in the 9th and maybe the 8th if needed. If we need him to come in and get some work every once in awhile, so be it, but if I was Wes, he would be our closer...

Todd4State
03-27-2016, 09:45 PM
That" why I would like to see him in the closer role for good! With Dakota and Sexton, I feel alot of games are going to be closeish toward the end and it would benefit us to have a shutdown closer to use in the 9th and maybe the 8th if needed. If we need him to come in and get some work every once in awhile, so be it, but if I was Wes, he would be our closer...

I think those are some good points, but I don't think Brown has it upstairs to be the closer either.