PDA

View Full Version : 1996 men's sweet 16 game against UConn

starkvegasdawg
03-25-2016, 09:04 AM
Man they were fun to watch.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2016/03/22/the-last-time-mississippi-state-played-uconn-in-the-sweet-16/

TXDawg
03-25-2016, 09:39 AM
I loved watching Darryl Wilson play ball. By far my favorite player on that team. SO clutch.

maroonmania
03-25-2016, 09:41 AM
I loved watching Darryl Wilson play ball. By far my favorite player on that team. SO clutch.

Daryl Wilson is probably still my all-time favorite MSU athlete. Dude always played his best in the clutch and he was the heart and soul of that Final Four team. He also kept Bullard in check who totally went off the rails after Wilson graduated.

Taog Redloh
03-25-2016, 09:54 AM
At what point was that Jones dunk over Allen?

confucius say
03-25-2016, 09:58 AM
Early. First ten minutes I know. Prob first 5 minutes.

confucius say
03-25-2016, 09:59 AM
That team should have won it all. Damn you John Wallace.

CadaverDawg
03-25-2016, 10:30 AM
That team should have won it all. Damn you Marcus Bullard.

Fixed it for you.*

MSUDawg99
03-25-2016, 10:38 AM
At what point was that Jones dunk over Allen?

Yeah it was right before the 5 min. mark

Maroonthirteen
03-25-2016, 02:08 PM

You are exactly right. I know it isn't fun as a conspiracy but.. Wallace slowed down Dontae considerably and played well offensively. He was the reason we lost

Dawg61
03-25-2016, 02:22 PM

I managed to be picked in a 5v5 Sanderson center pickup game with Darryl, Travis Outlaw and Jr. Outlaw all playing in it. I had no business being on the court with those dudes and just sat in the corner the entire game trying not to **** up. It was hilarious! Darryl drained about eight 3's during it. Idk if it still does but during the summer when Starkville is dead there used to be some really good players that would roam those courts.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2016, 02:32 PM

Kentucky was ready & hoping we advanced. I'm not sure we could've beat that Kentucky team twice in a few week span.

confucius say
03-25-2016, 03:40 PM
Kentucky was ready & hoping we advanced. I'm not sure we could've beat that Kentucky team twice in a few week span.

Would have been tough for sure. Would have loved to see that rematch. Most hard nosed team I've seen us have in my 32 years.

shannondawg
03-25-2016, 04:01 PM
My favorite game was when Florida came to town, we were down by about 15, Daryl got hot and we won by about 15.

Coach34
03-25-2016, 04:22 PM
Loved 00. Losing to Syracuse was very disappointing- State vs Kentucky for the title would have been a memory for the ages

Liverpooldawg
03-25-2016, 06:39 PM
I watched that game in a sports bar in Atlanta with about 30 State fans and one loud obnoxious UConn fan. I was over there for a convention and was the only season ticket holder in the house. Fun times.

KB21
03-25-2016, 11:07 PM
I was late to pick up my date for the prom because of this game.

Mumbles
03-26-2016, 06:13 AM
Fixed it for you.*

almost convinced Bullard was shaving points - never seen someone just straight dribble the ball outta bounds or off his foot so much.

iirc we started out pretty good against Syracuse then started settling for ton of jump shots vs that zone. my father went to the final four that year and still bemoans Williams game plan vs that zone lol

Dawg61
03-26-2016, 08:49 AM
almost convinced Bullard was shaving points - never seen someone just straight dribble the ball outta bounds or off his foot so much.

iirc we started out pretty good against Syracuse then started settling for ton of jump shots vs that zone. my father went to the final four that year and still bemoans Williams game plan vs that zone lol

Hell yea he threw the game. He had 9 turnovers! Syracuse, NY is known for having ties to the mafia too. No doubt in my mind Bullard got paid to throw that game. You'll never convince me differently.

msbulldog
03-26-2016, 09:02 AM
I enjoyed watching that so much, 10 ft. tall and bullet-proof those days! D. Wilson had the sweetest shooting form ever! Hope we get back there again in my lifetime.

Mumbles
03-26-2016, 09:21 AM
I enjoyed watching that so much, 10 ft. tall and bullet-proof those days! D. Wilson had the sweetest shooting form ever! Hope we get back there again in my lifetime.

that was a "lightning in a bottle" year - dominant big man with 2 physical guards and dontae seeing dollar signs in the post season. that guy was hitting 15 ft fade aways in sec tourny without blinking an eye. definately would love another run similar.

1bigdawg
03-26-2016, 10:37 AM

It all depended on Marcus Bullard. He could be a shut down defender, efficient point (low a/t ratio) and our best 3 point shooter (had the best ave). He could also be terrible, like he was in the Syracuse game. The other guys, including Dontae, were much more consistent and played off of him. When he was playing well, we were unstoppable.

1bigdawg
03-26-2016, 10:42 AM
Hell yea he threw the game. He had 9 turnovers! Syracuse, NY is known for having ties to the mafia too. No doubt in my mind Bullard got paid to throw that game. You'll never convince me differently.

Bullard was inconsistent all season. He was a great, NBA caliber point guard one week. The next he was average or worse. He played great in the SEC tourney, pretty bad the first week of the NCAAs against Eastern (?) Michigan and Princeton, all world against Connecticut and Cincy and then horrible against 'Cuse. That is just how he was. The coaches worried about it before every game.