PDA

View Full Version : Would MSU fans not be able to recognize a former CWS winning pitcher...

RougeDawg
08-14-2013, 11:34 AM
If he walked in a room with them?

I work in multiple refineries around New Orleans and bumped in to Doug Thompson yesterday at lunch. I've known him for over 20 years because we're from same town and had a 1st cousin who played on same HS baseball team.

Not one of these LSU fans recognize him or even know who he is when he introduces himself. He's now working for an IT company and they are currently upgrading all of the computer systems in this refinery.

I know that every MSU fan may not know what players from the past would look like today, but you'd at least hope that a name would never be forgotten, especially one attached to a national championship. Just find it hilarious that the largest fan bases, really only have a small percentage (probably same total amount as MSU and the smaller fan bases) of real true fans. The core amount of "True" fans is probably very similar for most of the SEC schools. We just haven't had the on field success of the Bama's and LSU's to drum up the amount of fringe and sidewalk fans.

MemphisDawg
08-14-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't know man.

It's hard to say. I wouldn't say that if you don't know the name of a pitcher then you're not a true fan.

For all that decides is is if you stick to your team through the good and the bad times. As long as you are always dedicated to your team and don't sway because of a few bad years them to me you are a true fan.

It's not based on if you know all the players or not. IMO.

RougeDawg
08-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Do you think any "True" State fans would ever forget his name? True fans would have been watching. I would have been there in attendance and never would have forgotten the name, even if I wasn't able to recognize the face later on.

EnterpriseDawg
08-14-2013, 04:03 PM
I went to school with Doug. He graduated a year ahead of me. A pivital player that help Biloxi win 3 state titles. Not sure if I would recognize him since I haven't seen him since he graduated years ago.

Schultzy
08-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Would you recognize Kenny Kurtz who beat Cal State Fullerton in the opening game of the 1979 CWS? Complete game as well I think. Pretty obscure but Fullerton went on to win that eight team double elimination tournament for the National Championship from the losers bracket. That was an amazing feat by that team.

Saltydog
08-14-2013, 08:34 PM
one of the best pitchers that most MSU fans never heard of.......Ken was a damn good pitcher in the late 70's and was a local boy as well.......

RC3
08-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Tracy Echols once introduced himself to me and I was completely star struck. Ha

RougeDawg
08-14-2013, 09:15 PM
I went to school with Doug. He graduated a year ahead of me. A pivital player that help Biloxi win 3 state titles. Not sure if I would recognize him since I haven't seen him since he graduated years ago.

When he was there.

ckDOG
08-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Hell I wouldn't recognize Will Clark if I bumped into him before catching his name.