PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Wes Johnson

messageboardsuperhero
03-24-2016, 09:34 PM
I love how he handled the staff tonight. Get Hudson out of there around 90 pitches when the game has already been decided and get two critical pitchers some work to build confidence. Small and Tatum had been struggling, but I think both feel better about themselves after tonight... And we need all the left-handed relief pitching we can get.

Harrydawg
03-24-2016, 09:35 PM
Guys, we have a team and I agree.......Wes is a great hire.

Coach34
03-24-2016, 09:40 PM
Hud gets an extra day of rest before his next start too

KB21
03-25-2016, 09:17 AM
Hud was actually around 105 pitches or so. He had 92 pitches when he started the 7th inning.

messageboardsuperhero
03-25-2016, 09:51 AM
The official box score said he finished at 96 pitches.

ShotgunDawg
03-25-2016, 09:55 AM
As I said during the hiring process & will say again now, MSU hired one of if not the best pitching coach in the country.

If your impressed now, you haven't seen anything yet. Wait till he has time to recruit his type of pitchers & really develop the pitchers that we already have. And the best part is, unlike football where the opposing teams can adjust to a new coach's schemes, there's nothing any other SEC school can do about Wes. He'll have this thing rolling in 2 or 3 years with depth unlike we've seen

Taog Redloh
03-25-2016, 10:00 AM
As I said during the hiring process & will say again now, MSU hired one of if not the best pitching coach in the country.

If your impressed now, you haven't seen anything yet. Wait till he has time to recruit his type of pitchers & really develop the pitchers that we already have. And the best part is, unlike football where the opposing teams can adjust to a new coach's schemes, there's nothing any other SEC school can do about Wes. He'll have this thing rolling in 2 or 3 years with depth unlike we've seen

I don't think he'll need to recruit. He has enough talent to work with now, that he'll probably get himself a head job after the 2018 season. We could conceivably lose 3 or 4 pitchers to the MLB draft that year. I guess that could also happen this year too.

ShotgunDawg
03-25-2016, 10:20 AM
I don't think he'll need to recruit. He has enough talent to work with now, that he'll probably get himself a head job after the 2018 season. We could conceivably lose 3 or 4 pitchers to the MLB draft that year. I guess that could also happen this year too.

You could be correct, but I don't really see Wes being a head coach. IMO, if Wes ever moves on from MSU, he will be following a Derek Johnson type career path & end up being the pitching coach for an MLB team.

Taog Redloh
03-25-2016, 10:26 AM
You could be correct, but I don't really see Wes being a head coach. IMO, if Wes ever moves on from MSU, he will be following a Derek Johnson type career path & end up being the pitching coach for an MLB team.

Could be. My point was more that he's going to have ample opportunities after 2018, just with the talent we currently have on campus.

Coach34
03-25-2016, 11:15 AM
We need to really hit on 5-6 more top talents this year to bring in with what we have in this Freshman class...that's how special seasons happen

Taog Redloh
03-25-2016, 11:27 AM
We need to really hit on 5-6 more top talents this year to bring in with what we have in this Freshman class...that's how special seasons happen

At present, it appears we are: http://www.scout.com/college/mississippi-state/story/1651892-msu-baseball-class-of-2016-recruits

Pitching will be there, and if we can have 2-3 hitters emerge from the 2016 class we will be national championship caliber. Looking back to 2013, we got it done mainly on the backs of the 2010 class, a select few contributors from 2009, and star additions from 2011. 2018 sets up the same way, with Gridley/Gordon from 2014, we all know the 2015, and need a couple more from the link above. The talent is there for sure.

Difference is, this time, we are so far ahead of where we were in 2011 (ie two years before the 'special' season). Hopefully the peak is one notch higher this time around.

maroonmania
03-25-2016, 11:36 AM
At present, it appears we are: http://www.scout.com/college/mississippi-state/story/1651892-msu-baseball-class-of-2016-recruits

Pitching will be there, and if we can have 2-3 hitters emerge from the 2016 class we will be national championship caliber. Looking back to 2013, we got it done mainly on the backs of the 2010 class, a select few contributors from 2009, and star additions from 2011. 2018 sets up the same way, with Gridley/Gordon from 2014, we all know the 2015, and need a couple more from the link above. The talent is there for sure.

Difference is, this time, we are so far ahead of where we were in 2011 (ie two years before the 'special' season). Hopefully the peak is one notch higher this time around.

The current freshman class on campus now is probably the top rated pitching class MSU has ever signed. Wes has a lot to work with going forward already in uniform.