PDA

View Full Version : Rick Stansbury

Ifyouonlyknew
03-24-2016, 08:52 PM
Stans expected to become new head coach at Western Kentucky. Congrats & good luck to Stans.

HailState39110
03-24-2016, 08:53 PM
I think it's a good fit and a program that has had success . Congrats to Rick

http://www.wbko.com/content/sports/Rick-Stansbury-expected-to-be-the-next-coach-at-WKU-373455541.html

msstate7
03-24-2016, 08:53 PM
No doubt. Hope he does well

RocketDawg
03-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Very good. A&M just got eliminated from the NCAA tournament so I suppose he's free to go anytime.

Liverpooldawg
03-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Stans expected to become new head coach at Western Kentucky. Congrats & good luck to Stans.

Good for him! That's close to home for him too if I'm not mistaken.

Coach34
03-24-2016, 08:55 PM
I knew he would have to go to a lower level job to get one

Political Hack
03-24-2016, 08:58 PM
Great job. School comes from a basketball rich state and region. Also has a little tradition. Hope he kills it.

YazooDawg23
03-24-2016, 09:02 PM
Great news. Congrats Rick. The criticism he has gotten has been played out and trashy as hell. I'll always appreciate him single handedly building our basketball expectations.

War Machine Dawg
03-24-2016, 09:30 PM
Great news. Congrats Rick. The criticism he has gotten has been played out and trashy as hell. I'll always appreciate him single handedly building our basketball expectations.

Dick Williams say:
http://i.imgur.com/YQpBzdv.gif

Considering Yer Boy never made it out of the first weekend in nearly 20 years.

Coach34
03-24-2016, 09:34 PM
Williams started building the program and expectations- Stands brought consistency.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-24-2016, 09:35 PM
A sincere congratulations and good luck, Rick. Hope we don't have to play you unless it is in the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament, of course.

tcdog70
03-24-2016, 09:40 PM
Williams started building the program and expectations- Stands brought consistency.

John Brady, Duane Reboul and Stans were the main reasons Williams won.

Coach34
03-24-2016, 09:42 PM

because they recruited- which Williams hated

mic
03-24-2016, 09:44 PM

If Stands would have surrounded himself with really good X and O coaches and if he had actually sought the advice of the ones he did have on staff his success would have been much greater at MSU...

Congrats to him...

Dawg61
03-24-2016, 10:07 PM
Stansbury lasted 14 years and is 9th all-time in wins in the SEC. He had a good career at MSU. Congrats to him being a HC again. I wish him luck!

BeardoMSU
03-24-2016, 10:14 PM
Stansbury lasted 14 years and is 9th all-time in wins in the SEC. He had a good career at MSU. Congrats to him being a HC again. I wish him luck!

This. Thank you.

TheRef
03-24-2016, 10:19 PM
Congrats, Coach. Good luck at Western Kentucky. Just keep this guy away from your kids.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d4/b8/8e/d4b88e1f652c7443451ecaf745943b01.jpg

JohnnyQuid
03-24-2016, 10:20 PM

yes sir

Coach34
03-24-2016, 10:21 PM

If Kennedy makes it 4 more years he will likely pass Stands

klong-dog
03-24-2016, 10:22 PM
A sincere congratulations and good luck, Rick. Hope we don't have to play you unless it is in the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament, of course.
Nice and I agree.

YazooDawg23
03-24-2016, 10:24 PM

Were you about to make a point?

smootness
03-24-2016, 10:26 PM

And?

Bucky Dog
03-24-2016, 10:30 PM

You just don't really want him to do well, do you?

Coach34
03-24-2016, 10:35 PM
You just don't really want him to do well, do you?

Why would you say that? W.Kentucky is a really good smaller school job

YazooDawg23
03-24-2016, 10:36 PM

Rick could write a check for what you're worth and not even realize its missing.

Coach34
03-24-2016, 10:38 PM
Rick could write a check for what you're worth and not even realize its missing.

So could every P5 coach in the country? So what?

I seen it dawg
03-24-2016, 10:45 PM

This made me laugh. That you Meo?

Coach34
03-24-2016, 10:48 PM

Sylvester Crooms could too...guess he is like Stands

Dawg61
03-24-2016, 10:49 PM

Bullshit. My posts are worth gold making this site Fort Knox!!

Bucky Dog
03-24-2016, 11:11 PM

You want to be right. Stans cannot win at a "major" schools em though WKU is pretty good. You know you do not want him to ever make the NCAA there. Admit it.

Coach34
03-24-2016, 11:17 PM
You want to be right. Stans cannot win at a "major" schools em though WKU is pretty good. You know you do not want him to ever make the NCAA there. Admit it.

I'm already right about Stands- his tenure fell apart at State just as I said it would due to lack of discipline.
Then I said he wasnt getting another major school coaching job- he's not

He will do pretty well at WKU most likely and make an NCAA Tourney or two. Wouldnt surprise me at all

MarketingBully
03-24-2016, 11:26 PM

Howland will have Kennedy fired before then.

Dawg61
03-24-2016, 11:28 PM
I'm already right about Stands- his tenure fell apart at State just as I said it would due to lack of discipline.
Then I said he wasnt getting another major school coaching job- he's not

He will do pretty well at WKU most likely and make an NCAA Tourney or two. Wouldnt surprise me at all

WKU certainly isn't a shitty program. They have one good player it looks like in Justin Johnson (so. 14 ppg 7 rpg) and they've been to the tournament twice in the last five years. They are in CUSA. Ray Harper their last coach is good. Must of been some hush hush drama that recently occurred as three players just got suspended for something.

Coach34
03-24-2016, 11:28 PM
Howland will have Kennedy fired before then.

very likely to happen- I agree

blacklistedbully
03-25-2016, 12:47 AM
I agree, Hearty congrats and well-wishes to Coach Stans. He did a whole lotta good for MSU before it came crashing down. Thanks to him & his staff, we had an extended amount of good to crash down from.

msbulldog
03-25-2016, 06:03 AM
I agree, Hearty congrats and well-wishes to Coach Stans. He did a whole lotta good for MSU before it came crashing down. Thanks to him & his staff, we had an extended amount of good to crash down from.

Congrats Coach, wish you lots of luck!

confucius say
03-25-2016, 06:07 AM
That's a good job and he will win there. Best of luck

Tbonewannabe
03-25-2016, 06:31 AM
Stans and Mullen are similar in what they have done for MSU. Both have won consistently but Stans never got over the hump of winning when it really mattered in the tourney. I don't see Mullen having the discipline problems Stans had but I can see us looking for someone else if Mullen can't beat Bama in the next 5 years. Unless he gets into the playoff or SEC championship game.

AROB44
03-25-2016, 06:44 AM
Really happy for Stans. Never cease to be amazed at C34's hatred for him. Just want to add.....Kyle Willingham will never be the football coach at MSU. The agenda continues......

Coach34
03-25-2016, 07:39 AM
Just want to add.....Kyle Willingham will never be the football coach at MSU. The agenda continues......

Wonder what Keenum and Strick's agenda is for not extending Mullen's contract after winning nine games?

smootness
03-25-2016, 08:02 AM
Must of been some hush hush drama that recently occurred as three players just got suspended for something.

Well that sounds like a situation Stans will quickly solve**

Only kidding. I really like Stans and hope he has tons of success there.

shannondawg
03-25-2016, 08:04 AM
You younger guys just don't understand what us older folk have gone thru pulling for state. Thats the main reason we are so happy to have had coaches like Jackie, Richard, Mullen and Stansbury, and why we were a baseball school before any other SEC school, Polk made us proud and something we could hang our hat before the above mentioned coaches brought winning to us. Bob Tyler was a brief bright spot before these others came on the scene.

Dawg61
03-25-2016, 08:17 AM
You younger guys just don't understand what us older folk have gone thru pulling for state. Thats the main reason we are so happy to have had coaches like Jackie, Richard, Mullen and Stansbury, and why we were a baseball school before any other SEC school, Polk made us proud and something we could hang our hat before the above mentioned coaches brought winning to us. Bob Tyler was a brief bright spot before these others came on the scene.

Umm y'all lost a bunch but you also didn't have to endure some of the negative things an instant news world brings like yesterday for example. Some douchebag in Indiana takes a pot shot at Howland so we have to throw jabs back at him or some douche in Orlando writes a column saying MSU needs to be replaced by UCF in the SEC and on and on. It never ends now. Y'all could just go home and never read the Clarion Liar and you'd be done with it. We literally never stop standing up for our University nowadays.

AROB44
03-25-2016, 08:27 AM
Wonder what Keenum and Strick's agenda is for not extending Mullen's contract after winning nine games?

I am sure it wasn't to hire Kyle Willingham....

MadDawg
03-25-2016, 08:32 AM

Hahahahaha

Coach34
03-25-2016, 08:40 AM

As someone thats in between the Diaper Daddy's and the Young Punks- I do have to say some of the losing and problems we had in the 50's thru the 80's had alot to do with State and it's propensity to keep the "good ol boy network" going. Until the 2000's- we were about as progressive in sports as an Homish community. Lots of self-inflicted wounds with dumb decisions coupled with a fanbase that cant get united. Looking back at some of our athletic hires and admin choices is astonishing.

drunkernhelldawg
03-25-2016, 08:42 AM
Dick Williams say:
http://i.imgur.com/YQpBzdv.gif

Considering Yer Boy never made it out of the first weekend in nearly 20 years.

What the hell's wrong with you? Back to incomprehensible grunting please.

AROB44
03-25-2016, 08:43 AM
As someone thats in between the Diaper Daddy's and the Young Punks- I do have to say some of the losing and problems we had in the 50's thru the 80's had alot to do with State and it's propensity to keep the "good ol boy network" going. Until the 2000's- we were about as progressive in sports as an Homish community. Lots of self-inflicted wounds with dumb decisions coupled with a fanbase that cant get united. Looking back at some of our athletic hires and admin choices is astonishing.

I agree.....biggest dumb decision was making LT the AD. Kept us in the dark ages.

BiscuitEater
03-25-2016, 08:51 AM

Yes, AK may pass Stans in number of wins .. BUT few Coaches at modern MSU sports history have been as successful as Rick in beating OM on a consistent basis .. period.

In his 14 years at MSU, Stans had a 21-8 record (72%) and ONLY lost ONE game to OM at the Hump. He beat OM EVERY year and won both meetings 6 times ('00, '03, '04, '05, '10, & '11). He also had two stretches .. one of 7 in a row and one with 6 in a row and won the only game we played OM in the SECT.

maroonmania
03-25-2016, 08:57 AM
Stans and Mullen are similar in what they have done for MSU. Both have won consistently but Stans never got over the hump of winning when it really mattered in the tourney. I don't see Mullen having the discipline problems Stans had but I can see us looking for someone else if Mullen can't beat Bama in the next 5 years. Unless he gets into the playoff or SEC championship game.

Stans and Mullen are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as coaches. You have Stans that LOVES to recruit but has trouble running a disciplined program that develops players to their potential whereas Mullen really doesn't care for recruiting that much at all and usually doesn't want to even get into the fray for top prospects (especially out of state) but does have a well run program that usually gets the best out of players that have a good work ethic and want to be developed.

Coach34
03-25-2016, 09:04 AM
Stans and Mullen are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as coaches. You have Stans that LOVES to recruit but has trouble running a disciplined program that develops players to their potential whereas Mullen really doesn't care for recruiting that much at all and usually doesn't want to even get into the fray for top prospects (especially out of state) but does have a well run program that usually gets the best out of players that have a good work ethic and want to be developed.

Whats also very interesting to me is that the two coaches we've had that hate recruiting- Mullen and Williams- are also the two that have taken us to best seasons our school has ever had in those sports.

AFDawg
03-25-2016, 09:08 AM
Homish

Missed it by that much.

DanDority
03-25-2016, 09:21 AM
Someone please fill me in on why this is such a hot button issue on a STATE message board? Why does anyone here care if a coach from a team other than STATE becomes a Head coach on another team Not even in the SEC, I mean damn please someone please explain it to me.

DanDority
03-25-2016, 09:23 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Coach34 again.

Jack Lambert
03-25-2016, 09:55 AM

A&M will stop getting good players.

Dawg61
03-25-2016, 10:08 AM
A&M will stop getting good players.

Yup and they started four seniors last night so they are going to suck next year.

MSUDawg99
03-25-2016, 10:15 AM
Yup and they started four seniors last night so they are going to suck next year.

Will Alex Mustache Caruso be back next year? Not sure what year he is, but that stache tho....

shannondawg
03-25-2016, 10:20 AM

You are 100% correct. We had one coach that couldn't coach,helluva golfer , so made him ad, the committee that hired Felker were doctors, cpa's ect. One member told me that they had as much business in hiring coaches as doodle squat. Just some of the examples.

I will take up for LT, he did manage our money very well, when we had none. He did things that we didn't agree with just to keep us afloat. Later years he held us back and should have been let go long before he was. He surrounded himself with people that pretty much had their self interest in mind, and hired people he knew wouldn't be a threat to him, if one actually did, he fired him or ran him off.

PS: I like olderthandirt, geezer or whatever, better than Diaper Daddy. Cause the day I need them , it won't be so funny.

Dawgbite
03-25-2016, 10:37 AM
Someone please fill me in on why this is such a hot button issue on a STATE message board? Why does anyone here care if a coach from a team other than STATE becomes a Head coach on another team Not even in the SEC, I mean damn please someone please explain it to me.

We, The Message Board Mafia, are directly responsible for his unemployment. We are responsible for his kids having to walk 10 miles to school everyday, in the snow, up hill, both ways. Since he now has gainful employment , the pangs of guilt we feel can be soothed and we can turn our attention to the next coach who needs our undivided council and scrutiny. ****

Coach34
03-25-2016, 11:01 AM

They had a top 10 recruiting class- does that mean we are going to suck next year?

Bully13
03-25-2016, 11:17 AM

Why did I just laugh?

coastdoglover
03-25-2016, 11:31 AM
You are 100% correct. We had one coach that couldn't coach,helluva golfer , so made him ad, the committee that hired Felker were doctors, cpa's ect. One member told me that they had as much business in hiring coaches as doodle squat. Just some of the examples.

I will take up for LT, he did manage our money very well, when we had none. He did things that we didn't agree with just to keep us afloat. Later years he held us back and should have been let go long before he was. He surrounded himself with people that pretty much had their self interest in mind, and hired people he knew wouldn't be a threat to him, if one actually did, he fired him or ran him off.

PS: I like olderthandirt, geezer or whatever, better than Diaper Daddy. Cause the day I need them , it won't be so funny.

We were our own worst enemies for decades. Shannondawg is correct. Most of you are too young to remember how bad Charlie Shira was and yet, Dr. Giles and some of the cigar boys tried to get his contract renewed before we hired Tyler. They never bought into Tyler because they couldn't control him. Ultimately the folks up North made sure he was not a threat anymore. I simply can't understand the hatred for Stansbury. Was he perfect, no, but we haven't been close since. Hopefully Howland and Schaeffer get us there and being realistic, Schaeffer already has. A&M has a lot of young talent that will be good in the future and I think Howland is bringing in young talent as well. We have to remember, the SEC is not real good in basketball at this time. In the past, Florida and Kentucky were very good but not much else. This has nothing to do with Rick Stansbury getting a very good opportunity to be a head coach again right near his farm he owns in Bowling Green . He will do well I am sure and I am also sure the haters will never quit hating. Sad indeed.

MadDawg
03-25-2016, 12:04 PM
Did anyone think Stans would be a head coach again before our program got back to the "unacceptable" level that got him fired?

Dawg61
03-25-2016, 12:28 PM
They had a top 10 recruiting class- does that mean we are going to suck next year?

Nope we have a legit coach not a feel good story

MarketingBully
03-25-2016, 12:47 PM
We were our own worst enemies for decades. Shannondawg is correct. Most of you are too young to remember how bad Charlie Shira was and yet, Dr. Giles and some of the cigar boys tried to get his contract renewed before we hired Tyler. They never bought into Tyler because they couldn't control him. Ultimately the folks up North made sure he was not a threat anymore. I simply can't understand the hatred for Stansbury. Was he perfect, no, but we haven't been close since. Hopefully Howland and Schaeffer get us there and being realistic, Schaeffer already has. A&M has a lot of young talent that will be good in the future and I think Howland is bringing in young talent as well. We have to remember, the SEC is not real good in basketball at this time. In the past, Florida and Kentucky were very good but not much else. This has nothing to do with Rick Stansbury getting a very good opportunity to be a head coach again right near his farm he owns in Bowling Green . He will do well I am sure and I am also sure the haters will never quit hating. Sad indeed.

I agree and actually like Coach Stansbury. Really personable guy and a true player's coach. His biggest issue was when Coach Kirby left and he didn't have a guy on his staff that was the disciplinarian type coach which eventually led to his demise regarding our team getting out of control. You have to have a solid mix of disciplinarian type coaches and player coaches on your staff to maintain a good chemistry on the team. When Coach Kirby left, he didn't hire that tough disciplinarian type of guy to maintain the balance on the staff. Things probably turn out differently for Sidney if Kirby is there to develop him like he told Sidney's dad he would be.

Coach34
03-25-2016, 12:56 PM
Nope we have a legit coach not a feel good story

A&M will be every bit as good as we are next year

smootness
03-25-2016, 01:08 PM

Whoops

confucius say
03-25-2016, 01:13 PM

I agree.

Of course they will have had two top ten classes in a row

Coach34
03-25-2016, 01:15 PM
I agree.

Of course they will have had two top ten classes in a row

Funniest part of all it is that since they started 4 Sr's- the core of their Sweet 16 team was recruited by Kennedy before Stands got there

shannondawg
03-25-2016, 01:18 PM
No , but we had four as well, but only a year of coaching. Our new ones will have Ben's coaching , A&M will not have Stans guiding hand to help them along.

Bully13
03-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Funniest part of all it is that since they started 4 Sr's- the core of their Sweet 16 team was recruited by Kennedy before Stands got there

I remember stands recruited dampier. I remember dampier crediting stans relentless effort that swayed him to state. Which means he also recruited Jones. Dampier left for the NBA that year as a junior. Was the year he recruited dampier his 1st at State? Without Jones and dampier we don't sniff the sweet 16.

maroonmania
03-25-2016, 01:30 PM

Yes, we had plenty of incompetence to go around but it was just a totally different world back then. We had little tradition, a very small budget, below average facilities, very small fanbase and virtually no TV exposure. ALL of that has changed with the rise of the SEC and with Jackie giving us a little bit of winning to hang our hat on. Plus we get just as much TV exposure today regionally as anyone. Parity is the norm today whereas back then there were really only about 20-25 football programs that were relevant. Making our programs nationally competitive back in those days was climbing a mountain where as today its just climbing a small hill. Guess my post is more focused on football but most everything I've listed pre-Williams is true of basketball as well except that our history in basketball was certainly better than football.

Dawg61
03-25-2016, 01:39 PM

Guess you and I got us a little bet going

Coach34
03-25-2016, 01:50 PM
I remember stands recruited dampier. I remember dampier crediting stans relentless effort that swayed him to state. Which means he also recruited Jones. Dampier left for the NBA that year as a junior. Was the year he recruited dampier his 1st at State? Without Jones and dampier we don't sniff the sweet 16.

Brady and Reboul were the lead recruiters that put together our SEC title and 1st NCAA bid under Williams to begin the Nineties
Then Kirby and Stands pulled in the crew that got us to the Sweet 16 and then the FF the next year in the mid-nineties

Coach34
03-25-2016, 01:52 PM
No , but we had four as well, but only a year of coaching. Our new ones will have Ben's coaching , A&M will not have Stans guiding hand to help them along.

It's funny how someone gets so much credit for advancing in the NCAA Tourney as an Asst coach but could never do it himself as a HC in 14 tries

drunkernhelldawg
03-25-2016, 01:53 PM
Yes, we had plenty of incompetence to go around but it was just a totally different world back then. We had little tradition, a very small budget, below average facilities, very small fanbase and virtually no TV exposure. ALL of that has changed with the rise of the SEC and with Jackie giving us a little bit of winning to hang our hat on. Plus we get just as much TV exposure today regionally as anyone. Parity is the norm today whereas back then there were really only about 20-25 football programs that were relevant. Making our programs nationally competitive back in those days was climbing a mountain where as today its just climbing a small hill. Guess my post is more focused on football but most everything I've listed pre-Williams is true of basketball as well except that our history in basketball was certainly better than football.

We were on our way in the mid 1970's but the probation put us "back in our place". The early 1980's were awesome as well, with Cooks, Hull, Bond, McDoyle and others. I think in 81 or 82 we could have won the SEC with a win over Bama, a game we had a chance to win late.

MarketingBully
03-25-2016, 01:54 PM

Nope, incorrect. Danuel House and Anthony Collins are both transfers into the program recruited by none other then Stansbury. Also, although their recruiting class in 2015 was ranked 4th (they brought in 5 4 star guys compared to our 6 4 star guys this class), they haven't had a recruiting class in the top 20 since then (2014 were ranked 50th, 2016 ranked 33rd). I would not call those classes elite that are sandwiched between that 4th rated class. Not sure where everyone was getting this they have strung together quite a few elite classes. More like they had one elite class and had transfers fill the other rolls which Stansbury also recruited. I don't think Billy Kennedy is a good coach. I think we will see that Stansbury had a big impact on his success.

I seen it dawg
03-25-2016, 02:05 PM
Lets not forget in all of this somewhat lovefest for this guy that
1. He ain't Bill Self.
And
B. he did orchestrate the dumpster fire that begot the Woodenesque Rick Ray. (Which begot Howland so I guess there is credit there)

Once again super nice guy, good recruiter, and by all accounts loved State. Terrible disciplinarian and even worse floor coach. Recruited well enough to get wins but not well enough to get to the 2nd weekend of the tournament that really matters. Lets not build a statue for the guy.

shannondawg
03-25-2016, 02:10 PM
Well Coach one thing for sure, Stans deserves some credit for the success of this board, without your constant bashing,it wouldn't have gotten the notoriety and success it has. Most of us know you do it tongue in cheek just for the hits and fun of it.

And all of this thread may be in vain, everything I read is that he is the front runner and is going to interview for the job. Nothing set in stone as far as I can see.

Be curious what the salary will be if he either gets or takes the job , he is reported to make 1mil as an asst head coach.

Coach34
03-25-2016, 02:13 PM
Nope, incorrect. Danuel House and Anthony Collins are both transfers into the program recruited by none other then Stansbury. Also, although their recruiting class in 2015 was ranked 4th (they brought in 5 4 star guys compared to our 6 4 star guys this class), they haven't had a recruiting class in the top 20 since then (2014 were ranked 50th, 2016 ranked 33rd). I would not call those classes elite that are sandwiched between that 4th rated class. Not sure where everyone was getting this they have strung together quite a few elite classes. More like they had one elite class and had transfers fill the other rolls which Stansbury also recruited. I don't think Billy Kennedy is a good coach. I think we will see that Stansbury had a big impact on his success.

Jones and Caruso were 3 year starters under Kennedy
House transferred 3 weeks after Stands was hired- I'm pretty sure that A&M had contacted him before Stands came aboard

A&M has gotten consistently better since Kennedy took over. Stands gave them a recruiting boost- no doubt. But they were already on the upswing

Coach34
03-25-2016, 02:15 PM
Be curious what the salary will be if he either gets or takes the job , he is reported to make 1mil as an asst head coach.

Im curious too- WK's former coach was making about 400K

Dawg61
03-25-2016, 02:17 PM
Lets not forget in all of this somewhat lovefest for this guy that
1. He ain't Bill Self.
And
B. he did orchestrate the dumpster fire that begot the Woodenesque Rick Ray. (Which begot Howland so I guess there is credit there)

Once again super nice guy, good recruiter, and by all accounts loved State. Terrible disciplinarian and even worse floor coach. Recruited well enough to get wins but not well enough to get to the 2nd weekend of the tournament that really matters. Lets not build a statue for the guy.

Ha just like ex-girlfriends the longer they are away the more you remember the good times and the bad times start fading. It's human nature.

shannondawg
03-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Im curious too- WK's former coach was making about 400K

Well that makes two of us, anybody else?

Coach34
03-25-2016, 02:25 PM
It's interesting:

Stands as an Asst coach- 4 NCAA Tourneys- 3 trips to the Sweet 16 with one of those ending in the FF

Stands as a HC- 0-6 on Sweet 16's

Dawgcentral
03-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Always liked Stans. He was great in Mama's living room from what I hear. Always sent an assistant out for fried chicken if there was nothing to eat.

I'm glad he's gone. Couldn't stand the sight of another fat guy walking up and down the floor, yet still getting playing time. Stans recruited another big guy from out of the country,.. can't recall his name. But that big dude had knees so bad he had trouble walking, much less a hurried trot.

Looking forward to what Howland is bringing to the program. Good luck to Stans. Don't let the players tell you what to do.

MarketingBully
03-25-2016, 05:19 PM
Jones and Caruso were 3 year starters under Kennedy
House transferred 3 weeks after Stands was hired- I'm pretty sure that A&M had contacted him before Stands came aboard

A&M has gotten consistently better since Kennedy took over. Stands gave them a recruiting boost- no doubt. But they were already on the upswing

You are just wrong here. Stansbury was the main recruiter on House and the reason he chose A&M. Link below.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/danuel-house-is-a-much-needed-addition-for-struggling-texas-a-m-134423611.html

Coach34
03-25-2016, 05:30 PM
You are just wrong here. Stansbury was the main recruiter on House and the reason he chose A&M. Link below.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/danuel-house-is-a-much-needed-addition-for-struggling-texas-a-m-134423611.html

Stands was hired on May 10th- House chose A&M on June 1st- 3 weeks later. So no- I most certainly was not wrong. aGAIN- I'm willing to bet House had been contacted by Kennedy and his staff before they hired Stands. Did they make him lead recruiter after they hired him? Sure- because that is why you hire Stands. You damn sure dont do it for X's and O's

Kennedy- "Stands- we are on this kid from Houston named House. We have a real shot here- close the deal"

Stands- "yes Sir"

Dawg61
03-25-2016, 05:38 PM
Always liked Stans. He was great in Mama's living room from what I hear. Always sent an assistant out for fried chicken if there was nothing to eat.

I'm glad he's gone. Couldn't stand the sight of another fat guy walking up and down the floor, yet still getting playing time. Stans recruited another big guy from out of the country,.. can't recall his name. But that big dude had knees so bad he had trouble walking, much less a hurried trot.

Looking forward to what Howland is bringing to the program. Good luck to Stans. Don't let the players tell you what to do.

John Riek? And reek he certainly did

shannondawg
03-25-2016, 06:13 PM
Stands was hired on May 10th- House chose A&M on June 1st- 3 weeks later. So no- I most certainly was not wrong. aGAIN- I'm willing to bet House had been contacted by Kennedy and his staff before they hired Stands. Did they make him lead recruiter after they hired him? Sure- because that is why you hire Stands. You damn sure dont do it for X's and O's

Kennedy- "Stands- we are on this kid from Houston named House. We have a real shot here- close the deal"

Stands- "yes Sir"
I forgot the name of the player that Stans recruited that later went to Alabama, his mama kidnapped a kid and he dropped out. Stans arranged for him to go to Houston, They were not going to let House transfer to a Texas school, until Stans told them he could arrange for this kid to transfer there if they would release House to A&M. And thats the true story. Whether Kennedy told him or not , I have no idea. Bet he was damm glad he did if he did in fact.

shannondawg
03-25-2016, 06:21 PM
About Sidney, Stans was just determined that Sidney would turn the corner and be the player everyone thought he would be, until it was just too damm late and the damage was done. Under the circumstances I think everyone on this board would have taken a chance on him, Stans problem was he just didn't run his fat ass off. Whether he should have done it after the fight, but the other guy was really getting belligerent with other players as well as Sidney because of his jealously of Sidney. He had to be gone as well, and was. It was plain as day, he was the one that started the fight. Sidney certainly ended it from what I saw.

Dawg61
03-25-2016, 06:34 PM
About Sidney, Stans was just determined that Sidney would turn the corner and be the player everyone thought he would be, until it was just too damm late and the damage was done. Under the circumstances I think everyone on this board would have taken a chance on him, Stans problem was he just didn't run his fat ass off. Whether he should have done it after the fight, but the other guy was really getting belligerent with other players as well as Sidney because of his jealously of Sidney. He had to be gone as well, and was. It was plain as day, he was the one that started the fight. Sidney certainly ended it from what I saw.

I knew Stansbury was done within the first two minutes of meeting Winsome Frazier for the first time ever. He openly offered his opinion of how clueless he thought Stansbury was/is to me. A random person he had just met and he was joking to me that Stans was clueless. I was shocked he was so casual about it like it was just something everyone knew and made fun of Bury like it was just a part of everyday speech. This culture of ripping on the head coach and nobody respecting him went on for years. For atleast eight years Stansbury's lockerroom that he built himself had zero respect for him. That's why you saw fights, drugs, no weightlifting, no giving a **** and over thirty players leaving the program. Stansbury has no backbone. Grown men don't respect that especially coming from their own head coach. I hope Bury has figured that out by now but I seriously doubt it. Best thing he can do is hire an assistant that will be the hard ass disciplinarian because Bury certainly won't be. People will walk all over you if you let them. Bury let them.

Coach34
03-25-2016, 06:47 PM
You should hear Bullard and a couple others talk about him. But they do give him credit as a tireless Crooter

shannondawg
03-25-2016, 07:02 PM
Well Winsome did cut his hair.

Dawg61
03-25-2016, 07:10 PM
You should hear Bullard and a couple others talk about him. But they do give him credit as a tireless Crooter

Bullard be telling stories in jail? Guy got busted for felony drive by shooting. Doubt he talks well about any affluent white guys but I hear ya.

Coach34
03-25-2016, 07:15 PM
Bullard be telling stories in jail? Guy got busted for felony drive by shooting. Doubt he talks well about any affluent white guys but I hear ya.

No- he was telling stories from the Scoreboard Club with 2 other former players. And they all had the same opinion on Stands- helluva recruiter but not much else

Dawg61
03-25-2016, 07:19 PM
No- he was telling stories from the Scoreboard Club with 2 other former players. And they all had the same opinion on Stands- helluva recruiter but not much else

Did he get those charges dropped? Serious question I've been genuinely concerned about Bullard for awhile now.

Coach34
03-25-2016, 07:24 PM
Bullard did a little time and has been out awhile now- trying to get things on track. Hopefully he will. He spoke to the basketball team that weekend. He also said Rick Ray needed to go

Dawg61
03-25-2016, 07:29 PM
Bullard did a little time and has been out awhile now- trying to get things on track. Hopefully he will. He spoke to the basketball team that weekend. He also said Rick Ray needed to go

Ha glad to hear he's out and moving forward in life

TopDog58
03-25-2016, 07:30 PM
Congrats to shit Stains!

mic
03-25-2016, 08:05 PM

He is back in... Unfortunately ... Not too serious I think it was something with his parole

tcdog70
03-26-2016, 09:41 AM
We were on our way in the mid 1970's but the probation put us "back in our place". The early 1980's were awesome as well, with Cooks, Hull, Bond, McDoyle and others. I think in 81 or 82 we could have won the SEC with a win over Bama, a game we had a chance to win late.

Lindsey Scott's run kept us out of the Sugar Bowl. And a share of the Title

tcdog70
03-26-2016, 09:50 AM

Lindsey Scott's run kept us out of the Sugar Bowl. And a share of the Title

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-28-2016, 04:03 PM

What kind of relationship did Stans and Brooks have? Would he try to add him to his staff?

was21
03-28-2016, 04:35 PM
http://www.wkusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/103009aaa.html

Pretty good basketball tradition. Can we match it? Haven't checked where we are history wise

shannondawg
03-28-2016, 04:42 PM
Not that I'm nosy, but I wonder what his contract will be? He was making a mil at A&M. Coach34 said last coach there was $400,00, but I don't see anything to back that up. Not that I doubt him, but it is Stansbury we are talking about.

(and thats how the fight started)

DancingRabbit
03-28-2016, 06:25 PM
Heard Gary Parrish today saying Robert Kirby was leaving Memphis to join Stans.

Dawg61
03-28-2016, 06:36 PM
Anyone else hear the rumblings that the three players suspended at WKU were involved in a "train" caught on video? Could be why the coach quit outta nowhere. Also I think WKU has two transfers from Tennessee on their squad.

Dallas_Dawg
03-28-2016, 06:57 PM
I was in school in the early 2000's and heard the same thing from players on the team. They said that no one respected him and he didn't have a clue what the hell was going on.
That comes with job security and getting stale. Hopefully he is rejuvenated and does well for himself. Just not at our expense...

MadDawg
03-28-2016, 07:41 PM
I sure am glad we hired Howland when we did. Whew.

Dawg61
03-28-2016, 08:43 PM
Stansbury is walking into an interesting situation the more I'm looking at it imo. First of all. Ben Hansborough is currently part of the WKU staff. Doubt that lasts long. Secondly WKU has two transfers from Tennessee that are quality players in Jabari McGhee and Willie Carmichael. Both drew starts as freshman for the Vols under Tyndall and both transferred and sat out this year. Stansbury is also getting a good player in Justin Johnson (15 ppg 7 rbg) as a sophomore. I haven't looked at the signing class yet but Bury has 3 good players atleast.

Coach34
03-28-2016, 10:07 PM
Not that I'm nosy, but I wonder what his contract will be? He was making a mil at A&M. Coach34 said last coach there was $400,00, but I don't see anything to back that up. Not that I doubt him, but it is Stansbury we are talking about.

(and thats how the fight started)

I googled the last coach's salary- it wasn't some elaborate slam Stands scheme

shannondawg
03-29-2016, 08:01 AM
Just testing Coach!

I googled and found that his reported salary is $500k, but it also said his A&M salary was @200K. I had seen his assoc Coach salary was 1Mil sometime back, when it was announced he was promoted to Assoc Head Coach.

Its just amazing to me that he won so many games for a coach that didn't have a clue. I also notice that players will tell you what you want to hear.

Anyway, I'm done. Anybody want to buy some A&M gear, I need to buy some Kentucky stuff now. (kidding)

Coach34
03-29-2016, 08:21 AM
Les Miles wins games too

BiscuitEater
03-29-2016, 09:15 AM

Wrong Again. You are TOTALLY blinded by intense Stans hate. Look it up .. Stansbury actually recruited 3 graduating seniors at Texas A&M .. including the 2 leading scorers .. Jalen Jones was a transfer from SMU, played two years there .. Danuel House played two years at Houston before transferring. Plus, add in SR Anthony Collins, who actually played 4 years at USF.

shannondawg
03-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Wrong Again. You are TOTALLY blinded by intense Stans hate. Look it up .. Stansbury actually recruited 3 graduating seniors at Texas A&M .. including the 2 leading scorers .. Jalen Jones was a transfer from SMU, played two years there .. Danuel House played two years at Houston before transferring. Plus, add in SR Anthony Collins, who actually played 4 years at USF.
+!
Please don't confuse this storyline with actual facts. +1

shannondawg
03-29-2016, 10:14 AM
Les Miles wins games too

He does that in fact, he owns our ass.

BiscuitEater
03-29-2016, 10:16 AM
Brady and Reboul were the lead recruiters that put together our SEC title and 1st NCAA bid under Williams to begin the Nineties
Then Kirby and Stands pulled in the crew that got us to the Sweet 16 and then the FF the next year in the mid-nineties

Brady was there for 8 years, 4 under Bob Boyd and 4 under Williams (1982-1990). During his 8 years at State .. we didn't have a single winning SEC record .. not one. Our SEC record was 48-96 (33%). Williams didn't have a winning SEC record until Stans came on board.

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2016, 10:36 AM
Anyone else hear the rumblings that the three players suspended at WKU were involved in a "train" caught on video? Could be why the coach quit outta nowhere. Also I think WKU has two transfers from Tennessee on their squad.

Unless it was Tennessee's version where not all participants are willing, I don't see a problem. A lot of professional athletes video those interactions so girls can't come back and say they weren't willing just looking for a paycheck.

MarketingBully
03-29-2016, 10:45 AM

I stated this two pages back. Kennedy is not a good coach. All he did when he hired Stans was delayed his firing by about five years. Smart on Kennedy's part but my guess is Kennedy will be fired in the next three years. He is lucky he has good talent for next couple of years that Stans secured.

MarketingBully
03-29-2016, 10:46 AM
Les Miles wins games too

Les Miles also has won SEC championships, won a national championship, and played for another.

Coach34
03-29-2016, 11:05 AM
Brady was there for 8 years, 4 under Bob Boyd and 4 under Williams (1982-1990). During his 8 years at State .. we didn't have a single winning SEC record .. not one. Our SEC record was 48-96 (33%). Williams didn't have a winning SEC record until Stans came on board.

The team that won the SEC title as Sr's had been starting since their Freshman season. Hartsfield, Smoke, Carter, and Todd Merritt all started as Sr's and led that team to the SEC title. All recruited by Brady. That team had just made the NIT as Jr's and everybody knew with most of the team returning that they were going to be very good.

Coach34
03-29-2016, 11:07 AM

Williams also took over a program that lost to Delta State. Bob Boyd recruited over the phone for goodness sake. Williams and Brady did a helluva job landing that Freshman class that won our 1st SEC title in 30 years

Coach34
03-29-2016, 11:11 AM

We already covered this later on in the thread

It's amazing to me how Stands gets credit for recruiting all William's and Kennedy's players as an Asst- yet still manages to get all the credit for recruiting his own as a HC. It's like nobody else on any staff he is on recruits except him

shannondawg
03-29-2016, 01:10 PM
Well you do call him the "Recruiter".

Coach34
03-29-2016, 01:18 PM

and it's far and away his strength- It's just weird that every team he is associated with he is the only one that recruits

Dawg61
03-29-2016, 01:19 PM

He better start. WKU has one player signed and he's unrated.

smootness
03-29-2016, 01:50 PM
and it's far and away his strength- It's just weird that every team he is associated with he is the only one that recruits

He was obviously the lead recruiter for all of his teams, whether as AC or HC. That's what he does.