PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Starkville have UBER?

SouthMsDawg
03-24-2016, 01:56 PM
I was talking with a friend of mine who lives and works outside of Atlanta and we were talking about going out (we are both in our 30's now) he said when he and his wife go out to have drinks catch a show he always uses UBER. He hadn't been in Mississippi in a while and assumed UBER would be in Mississippi and asked if it was in Starkville, Oxford, Hattiesburg, Gulf Coast. I told him nope, and to my knowledge Jackson is the only place in Mississippi that its available (not counting Memphis suburbs)

My question I ask my fellow ELITEDAWGS is why isnt UBER available in Starkville? People could make bank only if they operated on football weekends and select weekends during the year. Plus it will save people the hassle of trying to chance things and also help out a lot of college kids who shouldn't be behind the wheel after a night of partying.

TheRef
03-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Local governments are balking on it due to the tax revenue going away. But they'll tell you they don't want it because they can't guarantee the safety of everyone going with "non-licensed drivers" with Uber.

Steakonastick
03-24-2016, 02:03 PM
It's only in large towns right now. If I had to guess the Starkville City Council will never let anything as progressive as it come.

Perkins' "these unlicensed taxi cabs will lead to more gang led rapes."

SouthMsDawg
03-24-2016, 02:15 PM
It's only in large towns right now. If I had to guess the Starkville City Council will never let anything as progressive as it come.

Not true at all. It is in EVERY SEC city except Starkville and Oxford.

SouthMsDawg
03-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Local governments are balking on it due to the tax revenue going away. But they'll tell you they don't want it because they can't guarantee the safety of everyone going with "non-licensed drivers" with Uber.

You've got to be kidding me. Have local government officials ever taken a cab in a big city to or from the airport? The people who drive there aren't always the safest looking people but they get the job done. Also UBER has a way to rate drivers and review them similar to YELP that lets you see whos available and who has good reviews.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-24-2016, 02:17 PM
I don't think Tuscaloosa has them either.

SouthMsDawg
03-24-2016, 02:19 PM
I don't think Tuscaloosa has them either.

Just asked a friend of mine who lives there and she said they did have it they took it away and now they are starting it back. Crazy I know . They referring to the city of Tuscaloosa.

DawgNamedScuba
03-24-2016, 02:19 PM
Moving out of Mississippi to Denver, I used Uber alot now so easy to use when your drunk.

nsvltndog
03-24-2016, 02:20 PM
It would cut down on DUI's and the risks that come with having intoxicated drivers on city streets as Uber is "on demand". You get a very good approximation of their arrival time the second you request a car via Uber and the rides are reasonably priced. I would think most would consider this a very good thing, but if the city is making a mint on the DUI penalty fees it could be perceived as eating into their budget.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Auburn doesn't have Uber either.

JDog13
03-24-2016, 02:28 PM
Prolly this https://twitter.com/ANU_NIKE91/status/713079098411581440

Dallas_Dawg
03-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Somebody needs to start it up. You know it would be a money maker and keep the duis down.
Makes sense to me...

notsofarawaydawg
03-24-2016, 02:48 PM

Perkins is an idiot. Was when we went to school together at MSU and has gotten 10 times worse since he graduated. A licensed taxi driver in Columbus raped a woman so that throws out that reason for not having it. Houston, TX taxi driver lobbyist are trying to get legislation passed to cut out UBER in their city right now. I used them when I was there on a trip recently and met some of the nicest Texans I met on that trip who were driving for UBER.

Bothrops
03-24-2016, 02:54 PM
It makes too much sense and would cut down on the number of DUI's issued, which would be a loss of tax revenue for the city.

And speaking of Starkville City Council..I don't think anybody on there has ever ridden in a taxi cab, or been to a big city.

Johnson85
03-24-2016, 03:23 PM
Does starkville even have a taxi commission?

That's usually who kills uber, because taxi's don't want te competition and they usually have captured the taxi commission or whatever body regulates taxi's.

Even though it would be a good market, Starkville is still small enough that Uber probably isn't going to come unless the city council is welcoming. Uber came to the MS Gulf Coast and the taxi commission chased them off. For a good market, they'll stay and fight. For mediocre markets, they move on to their next priority.

BeardoMSU
03-24-2016, 03:26 PM
It makes too much sense and would cut down on the number of DUI's issued

That's a bingo...

Dawg61
03-24-2016, 03:35 PM
Can't anyone be an Uber driver as long as they pass all the screening process? Couldn't you for example just start Uber tomorrow in Starkville? There's no "home base". You use your car and pay for the gas. Uber just pays you immediately when the customer's CC gets charged as soon as they make it to the requested destination.

ILOATHEBears
03-24-2016, 03:47 PM

I would say Starkville mayor and city council are pretty progressive since they did make Starkville a LGBT community. No clue as to why no uber however in Starkville.

HSVDawg
03-24-2016, 04:07 PM
Not true at all. It is in EVERY SEC city except Starkville and Oxford.

You mean its in every SEC city except for those with less than 100k people in the metro area (including Tuscaloosa)? I think that is what the original poster was saying. Oxford and Starkville are the only SEC cities that would be considered small by any stretch. You pretty much have to have at least a 6 figure population to support the infrastructure of a crowd sourcing business platform like Uber.

starkvegasdawg
03-24-2016, 04:13 PM
This may be a dumb question, but what would keep me from letting it be known I'm available to give people rides anywhere in town for $5 or $10? Just friend me on FB and all I'm doing is helping a friend out.

MSUDawg99
03-24-2016, 04:20 PM
This may be a dumb question, but what would keep me from letting it be known I'm available to give people rides anywhere in town for $5 or $10? Just friend me on FB and all I'm doing is helping a friend out.

Okay so you're saying there's a chance I could get a ride Fri &/or Sat. night back to my hotel? Thanks!

HSVDawg
03-24-2016, 04:41 PM

Uh, nothing could stop you. But if you're the only one giving rides and 100 of your "friends" leaving the Cotton District at 1AM want you to pick them up at the same time, a lot of folks are gonna get tired of waiting. That's why you have to have dozens of drivers always available at peak hours. And it can't just be any guy with a hoopty and and several unpaid traffic tickets either. There is a screening process for all the drivers of Uber, Lyft, etc. for both the driver and the vehicle.

starkvegasdawg
03-24-2016, 04:47 PM
I realize it couldn't just be one person, but I would think the local govt would have a hard time shutting 10-15 people down under this premise. Just get Acey Roberts to make a fake FB profile and the that's the account to message telling your "friend" you need a ride.

Dawg61
03-24-2016, 05:02 PM
I realize it couldn't just be one person, but I would think the local govt would have a hard time shutting 10-15 people down under this premise. Just get Acey Roberts to make a fake FB profile and the that's the account to message telling your "friend" you need a ride.

Is it really worth breaking state, federal and tax laws just for a few extra bucks?

LanceHarbor
03-24-2016, 05:24 PM
Is it really worth breaking state, federal and tax laws just for a few extra bucks?

And Clemson, SC has UBER and it's half the size of Starkville.

ckDOG
03-24-2016, 05:25 PM
Damn I assumed they had it already. Great way for college kids with decent rides to make some walkin around money and great way for folks to get rides around town. I never once considered a cab in Starkville, but I'd sure as hell fork over 5 bucks for a ride home from the bar.

As far as background checks and such, I'm generally more comfortable with the uber stranger than the taxi stranger. I don't necessarily feel like I would be more safe with one or the other based on my past experiences with both. There are weirdos everywhere.

starkvegasdawg
03-24-2016, 06:04 PM

I never advocated breaking tax laws.

Snowman79
03-24-2016, 06:26 PM
I know there are exceptions, but I drive for Uber every so often and they do some extensive background checking on drivers. Compared to taxi drivers I would say it's safer.

RocketDawg
03-24-2016, 06:42 PM
I know there are exceptions, but I drive for Uber every so often and they do some extensive background checking on drivers. Compared to taxi drivers I would say it's safer.

Like the guy in Michigan? ** I know ... one in thousands. I'd guess the driver would be in more danger than the passengers ... he never knows who he's going to pick up.

RocketDawg
03-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Taxis cabs have to pay a business license fee to the city in which they operate. And the taxi lobby is probably opposed to Uber coming in to any town. And there is a taxi lobby and apparently they have some degree of influence ... e.g., here in Huntsville only certain taxi companies can service the airport.

Uber just got approved here a couple weeks ago but I have no idea how it's doing.

HSVDawg
03-24-2016, 11:04 PM
And Clemson, SC has UBER and it's half the size of Starkville.

That actually blows my mind. I spent a couple of nights for work in Clemson and you can literally walk everywhere. I stayed in a Hampton on the outskirts of town and could get to the strip on foot in 10 minutes by foot.