PDA

View Full Version : SWAC Special thoughts

Todd4State
03-23-2016, 12:22 AM
I was at the LSU/Louisiana Lafayette game tonight so I may be way off on some things since I am basically going off of a box score.

We beat Valley the way we should and like Cohen said we did some things to help us get better going forward.

Good to see Pilkington pitch well and go five innings. I would have been OK if we had gone Johnny Wholestaff since it was Valley but I won't complain if Pilkington is the midweek guy going forward. Good to see that Zac Houston pitched well- we need to get him going. And good to see Billingsley pitch well. Paul Young- SMH. If he can get his command better he could be a weapon for us down the road. Ryan Cyr has quietly performed well every time he gets to pitch.

Stovall had a nice night- the guy is just a baseball player.

Good to see John Holland contribute. Maybe he is finally getting healthy. I feel bad for Nate Lowe. It seems like he only hits the ball right at people.

The outfielders had a great night- it's not everyday that you see an inside the park grand slam. Humphreys and Rooker had good nights as well.

Of course, grain of salt because Valley is just a tough place to have a good baseball team. Only 17 players? And only four were pitchers? That's crazy.

Looking ahead we have a pretty dangerous Georgia team. Yes, I know they have some bad losses and are going to be coming into Starkville having just lost to Mercer. That's probably what Vanderbilt was thinking right before went into Nashville and kicked their and apparently their Whistler's ass. What I think makes Georgia dangerous is they have a legit ace as JacksonDevil said this week. Which means they can match up with Dakota- and I expect that to be a low scoring game which can go either way. The other thing that makes them dangerous is should we lose the first game and Daniel Brown doesn't show up again- we could very easily lose this series. Georgia does have a history of being a pain in our ass.

But that's just life in the SEC. We have a lot of things in our favor- we're playing pretty well right now, we can also match their ace with Dakota, and we will be in Starkville. And while Kentucky lost game one to their ace, they beat up their staff and won the last two games. Also, we will be Georgia's first big road test of the year- they've only played four road games which were all midweek. It's also a deceptively big series because Georgia is a top 50 RPI opponent. Winning the series would be huge for us especially if Georgia can maintain that over the course of the year. The key of course is going to be winning game one.

msstate7
03-23-2016, 07:23 AM
I'd like to see Holland get a start or 2 this weekend

Jacksondevildog
03-23-2016, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the plug.

I was at the LSU/Louisiana Lafayette game tonight so I may be way off on some things since I am basically going off of a box score.

We beat Valley the way we should and like Cohen said we did some things to help us get better going forward.

Good to see Pilkington pitch well and go five innings. I would have been OK if we had gone Johnny Wholestaff since it was Valley but I won't complain if Pilkington is the midweek guy going forward. Good to see that Zac Houston pitched well- we need to get him going. And good to see Billingsley pitch well. Paul Young- SMH. If he can get his command better he could be a weapon for us down the road. Ryan Cyr has quietly performed well every time he gets to pitch.

Stovall had a nice night- the guy is just a baseball player.

Good to see John Holland contribute. Maybe he is finally getting healthy. I feel bad for Nate Lowe. It seems like he only hits the ball right at people.

The outfielders had a great night- it's not everyday that you see an inside the park grand slam. Humphreys and Rooker had good nights as well.

Of course, grain of salt because Valley is just a tough place to have a good baseball team. Only 17 players? And only four were pitchers? That's crazy.

Looking ahead we have a pretty dangerous Georgia team. Yes, I know they have some bad losses and are going to be coming into Starkville having just lost to Mercer. That's probably what Vanderbilt was thinking right before went into Nashville and kicked their and apparently their Whistler's ass. What I think makes Georgia dangerous is they have a legit ace as JacksonDevil said this week. Which means they can match up with Dakota- and I expect that to be a low scoring game which can go either way. The other thing that makes them dangerous is should we lose the first game and Daniel Brown doesn't show up again- we could very easily lose this series. Georgia does have a history of being a pain in our ass.

But that's just life in the SEC. We have a lot of things in our favor- we're playing pretty well right now, we can also match their ace with Dakota, and we will be in Starkville. And while Kentucky lost game one to their ace, they beat up their staff and won the last two games. Also, we will be Georgia's first big road test of the year- they've only played four road games which were all midweek. It's also a deceptively big series because Georgia is a top 50 RPI opponent. Winning the series would be huge for us especially if Georgia can maintain that over the course of the year. The key of course is going to be winning game one.

djaymsu5
03-23-2016, 07:37 AM
Yea I wouldn't put too much into last night. Like you said we did what we were supposed to do. Pretty sure Vandy was down by 3 in the 9th to MTSU last night too.

msstate7
03-23-2016, 07:48 AM
Yea I wouldn't put too much into last night. Like you said we did what we were supposed to do. Pretty sure Vandy was down by 3 in the 9th to MTSU last night too.

Miss state is the bama football of baseball. The hangover is real.

Sincerely,

Oregon and vandy**

bulldogcountry1
03-23-2016, 07:49 AM
Since Alexander is struggling has recently been only batting RH, it may be time to platoon him and Holland. Gridley 2B/Alexander SS against LHP, Holland 2B/Gridley SS against RHP. If Holland can produce at the plate, then that would be a big boost for us.

Fun fact: Mangum has a 7 game hitting streak. He's only started in 2 of those games.

msstate7
03-23-2016, 07:56 AM
Since Alexander is struggling has recently been only batting RH, it may be time to platoon him and Holland. Gridley 2B/Alexander SS against LHP, Holland 2B/Gridley SS against RHP. If Holland can produce at the plate, then that would be a big boost for us.

Fun fact: Mangum has a 7 game hitting streak. He's only started in 2 of those games.

Speaking of mangum... Did he get any opportunities in cf last night? Really hope he's solid defensively there next season. Love his bat

bulldogcountry1
03-23-2016, 08:04 AM
Speaking of Mangum... Did he get any opportunities in cf last night? Really hope he's solid defensively there next season. Love his bat

He a dove for a ball, but didn't come up with it. He did keep it in front of him, and kept it a single. It's too bad he and Cody Brown are fighting for PT because I like their energy.

State82
03-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Pretty sure Vandy was down by 3 in the 9th to MTSU last night too.

Yes, Vandy did lose to MTSU.

preachermatt83
03-23-2016, 09:11 AM
My understanding is that their ace is going in game 2 not gane 1.

bulldogcountry1
03-23-2016, 09:38 AM
My understanding is that their ace is going in game 2 not gane 1.

Either way, he's a freshman. We (the fans) need to make it hard on him.

beretta
03-23-2016, 10:13 AM
last night they said Valley's RPI is 298 out of 300......We may have gotten some valuable players some time, but I don't know how playing that game helps in any way.....maybe we should just scrimmage them mid season.

bhamdawgfan
03-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Speaking of mangum... Did he get any opportunities in cf last night? Really hope he's solid defensively there next season. Love his bat

Who says Robson doesn't stay around for one more year? Size could be a liability in MLB as an outfielder.