PDA

View Full Version : Malik Newman reminds me of Josh Selby

YoungB
03-22-2016, 03:53 PM
Selby was the top HS player in 2010, "big time" score first PG. Didn't have great stats his first year at Kansas. Went pro anyway. Now trying not to wash out of the Turkish league. No shot at an NBA comeback.
Career Path
2011?2013 Memphis Grizzlies
2012 Reno Bighorns
2013 Canton Charge
2013 Maine Red Claws
2013 Qingdao Eagles
2014 Cedevita Zagreb
2014?2015 Bnei Herzliya
2015?present Socar Petkim

Howland and Newman are saying the right things, but the guy wasn't even the best Freshman on his SEC team. Great that he is not hiring an Agent, but if he gets a second round grade and still goes, he is a fool.

YoungB

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2016, 03:56 PM
They're really not similar at all personality wise. Selby has been a head case from a youngster in AAU ball up until now. That's the biggest difference. He knew he was a pro in his mind & no amount of info was going to change that. Malik has smart people around him & not dead set on being in the NBA this year. If he doesn't get the info he's looking for he'll be back.

vv83
03-22-2016, 03:57 PM
During the season I would agree but it seems Malik is starting to see the writing on the wall now. I just don't see anyway he gets a 1st round grade

MSUDawg99
03-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Selby was the top HS player in 2010, "big time" score first PG. Didn't have great stats his first year at Kansas. Went pro anyway. Now trying not to wash out of the Turkish league. No shot at an NBA comeback.
Career Path
2011?2013 Memphis Grizzlies
2012 Reno Bighorns
2013 Canton Charge
2013 Maine Red Claws
2013 Qingdao Eagles
2014 Cedevita Zagreb
2014?2015 Bnei Herzliya
2015?present Socar Petkim

Howland and Newman are saying the right things, but the guy wasn't even the best Freshman on his SEC team. Great that he is not hiring an Agent, but if he gets a second round grade and still goes, he is a fool.

YoungB

Well then it's a good thing he said if he gets a second round grade then he's coming back.

YoungB
03-22-2016, 04:18 PM
They're really not similar at all personality wise. Selby has been a head case from a youngster in AAU ball up until now. That's the biggest difference. He knew he was a pro in his mind & no amount of info was going to change that. Malik has smart people around him & not dead set on being in the NBA this year. If he doesn't get the info he's looking for he'll be back.

thats fair. personality wise I agree, Selby was more of a headcase.

Quotes from todays Press Conference

--Denial about this year
Newman "The injuries were a setback throughout the season. With my body healthy I think I'll be a totally different player."

--Denial about what every scouting service currently thinks
Newman said he's "hoping we can get something good in the first round."

--Hedging
Newman "If it's a second round grade I will probably be back"

I still think he and his advisers believe this year was a fluke and that he is ready.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2016, 04:27 PM

--Denial about this year
Newman "The injuries were a setback throughout the season. With my body healthy I think I'll be a totally different player."

--Hedging

I still think he and his advisers believe this year was a fluke and that he is ready.

Is that really denial? If you're not 100% then your game won't be the same. He said he's looking to get in the 1st rd. Is that denial or is he telling people what he's shooting for & what it will take for him to stay in the draft. I guess it's all depend on what side of the fence you're looking from.

smootness
03-22-2016, 04:45 PM

--Denial about this year

--Hedging

You could also argue that those quotes prove he's being logical about the process and will come back if things don't look good for him. If he thinks he'll be a totally different player when healthy, but scouts are judging him on this year and the results aren't looking good, then it would make sense for him to come back and show them just how good he can be.