PDA

View Full Version : Men's bb press conf sched. today at 3:00pm

MSUDawg99
03-22-2016, 11:38 AM
No reason was given but they were "highly encouraged to be there". My guess (& others too) is that it's Malik Newman. Guess we'll see.

https://twitter.com/bcwait/status/712316347963805696

Bama_Dawg
03-22-2016, 11:48 AM
...I've got a bad feeling about this...

Okrastar1
03-22-2016, 11:49 AM
Ya gotta believe it is Malik saying he is coming back for his sophomore year, couldn't imagine having a presser to wind up in the 2nd rd/overseas?

MSUDawg99
03-22-2016, 11:50 AM
Ya gotta believe it is Malik saying he is coming back for his sophomore year, couldn't imagine having a presser to wind up in the 2nd rd/overseas?

I was assuming that it's the opposite...he's opted to head to draft. Why would they do a presser to say he's staying?

thf24
03-22-2016, 11:51 AM
I was assuming that it's the opposite...he's opted to head to draft. Why would they do a presser to say he's staying?

It's pretty common. Tebow and Dak come immediately to mind.

TheRef
03-22-2016, 11:52 AM
I said it before, I'm betting all my vCash that he is staying here at MSU. I said it immediately after the season.

Beaver
03-22-2016, 11:53 AM
Howland to Stephen F. Austin

I seen it dawg
03-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Stains made a sweet 16?

MSUDawg99
03-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Well apparently per his dad he's declaring. Not signing with an agent but will go through the process to see where he stands.

msstate7
03-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Well apparently per his dad he's declaring. Not signing with an agent but will go through the process to see where he stands.

I think that's probably the best move. If he can work himself into the 1st round, he should go. If not, come back

MSUDawg99
03-22-2016, 11:57 AM
Stains made a sweet 16?

+1

preachermatt83
03-22-2016, 12:02 PM
He is declaring.

BeardoMSU
03-22-2016, 12:03 PM
IYOK, got anything?

shannondawg
03-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Since they want everyone there, I take it as positive news.

CadaverDawg
03-22-2016, 12:05 PM
He gone. Happy for him. Thanks for coming to State and helping us turn it around by doing such great recruiting for us while you were here, Malik.

CadaverDawg
03-22-2016, 12:06 PM
Since they want everyone there, I take it as positive news.

It's not positive for us, but great for him. It's being announced on Twitter that he's declaring

ShotgunDawg
03-22-2016, 12:07 PM
‏@JonRothstein
BREAKING: Mississippi State's Malik Newman will enter the 2016 NBA Draft, source told @CBSSports. Could return to school after combine.

This is non-news.

The new rules are great. They allow prospects to make intelligent, informed decisions. Not sure why anyone would object to Newman doing that. He may be gone or he may come back, but today's declaration is nothing but a formality that means virtually nothing

CadaverDawg
03-22-2016, 12:08 PM
Jon Rothstein:

BREAKING: Mississippi State's Malik Newman will enter the 2016 NBA Draft, source told @CBSSports. Could return to school after combine.

Okrastar1
Well with the new rules it's not a bad idea, he can come back even though he is declaring. If you work out and get a 1st rd grade go! If not come back and let's make a run at the damn thing next year! I will be interested to see if cramps continue to be an issue during the pre draft workouts, struggled all season with them!

MarketingBully
As long as he doesn't sign with an agent, I am all for him testing the waters.

ShotgunDawg
03-22-2016, 12:09 PM
Jon Rothstein:

BeardoMSU
03-22-2016, 12:09 PM
‏@JonRothstein

This is non-news.

The new rules are great. They allow prospects to make intelligent, informed decisions. Not sure why anyone would object to Newman doing that. He may be gone or he may com back, but today's declaration is nothing but a formality that means virtually nothing

This. I thought most people expected him to do this?

This is really no big deal. I still bet he comes back, as long as scouts don't tell him what he wants to hear, which is not something I think scouts do to often.

preachermatt83
03-22-2016, 12:10 PM

He's not signing with an agent.

ShotgunDawg
03-22-2016, 12:10 PM
This. I thought most people expected him to do this?

This is really no big deal. I still bet he comes back, as long as scouts don't tell him what he wants to hear, which is not something I think scouts do to often.

Agree. I don't think everyone, including the media, has adjusted to the new rules yet.

Political Hack
03-22-2016, 12:13 PM
News Conference: "I'm going pro, maybe."

Thanks.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2016, 12:14 PM
Like everyone said this has been expected. I wish Q would test the waters too so he could get feedback on what he needs to work on this summer. He's not signing with an agent so he can go workout see if any team falls in love with him. If no one does or he doesn't get a guarantee he comes back for a 2nd year.

ShotgunDawg
03-22-2016, 12:15 PM
This is great news. Malik would hire an agent is he wasn't considering coming back

http://i.imgur.com/BLWTjsD.jpg

maroonmania
03-22-2016, 12:20 PM
Well I think the real shock would be if he wasn't declaring. I mean now, with the option to pull out of the draft if you don't like your evaluation, there is absolutely no down side to declaring.

msstate7
03-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Like everyone said this has been expected. I wish Q would test the waters too so he could get feedback on what he needs to work on this summer. He's not signing with an agent so he can go workout see if any team falls in love with him. If no one does or he doesn't get a guarantee he comes back for a 2nd year.
How much on the radar of the nba do you have to be to even get invited to work outs? Is Q in that area?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2016, 12:25 PM
How much on the radar of the nba do you have to be to even get invited to work outs? Is Q in that area?

Anybody can declare & with the season he had I'm sure a few teams would request to work him out. Probably not so much for this years draft but to have on their watch list for the next couple of years.

starkvegasdawg
03-22-2016, 12:30 PM

Has anyone seen him riding in a yellow corvette?

CadaverDawg
03-22-2016, 12:33 PM
He's not coming back, imo

MSUDawg99
03-22-2016, 12:39 PM
‏@JonRothstein

This is non-news.

The new rules are great. They allow prospects to make intelligent, informed decisions. Not sure why anyone would object to Newman doing that. He may be gone or he may come back, but today's declaration is nothing but a formality that means virtually nothing

Couldn't agree more. Wish it were the same in baseball. Hell I wish they'd make these kids go thru at least 2 years of college & then declare for pro sports. Straight out of HS is way too young & one year in college is still too soon imho.

Dawg61
03-22-2016, 12:45 PM
Who are we going to add to fill his spot? Don't let his decision hold us hostage. Sign a good player Howland.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Who are we going to add to fill his spot? Don't let his decision hold us hostage. Sign a good player Howland.

Howland has plans & backup plans in place. Howland won't be caught off guard by whatever decision Malik makes. We're trying to sign a grad transfer big regardless of whether Malik is back or not.

Bubb Rubb
03-22-2016, 12:50 PM
Been telling you guys all along, he's gone. He shouldn't go, but he will. I will be shocked if he comes back, regardless of feedback he gets.

Political Hack
03-22-2016, 12:56 PM

I doubt it as well. I wish him all the best thought and am thankful he donned the maroon and white before going on to what I expect to be a great NBA career.

shannondawg
03-22-2016, 12:56 PM
Have we had any scouts at our games?

In regards to Howland having a back up plan, he has been saying from day one that Malik was a one and done, so no doubt in my mind he has one. Plus IJ is coming back for point.

MSUDawg99
03-22-2016, 01:03 PM
I doubt it as well. I wish him all the best thought and am thankful he donned the maroon and white before going on to what I expect to be a great NBA career.

Agreed

MarketingBully
03-22-2016, 01:03 PM

It's not. Technically speaking, we have a guard heavy class. Howland wasn't expecting him back. We have Wright, Peters, and Carter all four stars not to mention Stapleton will play as well. If we did add anyone else it would be a grad transfer PF. We will be okay either way IMO.

MSUDawg99
03-22-2016, 01:04 PM
I said it before, I'm betting all my vCash that he is staying here at MSU. I said it immediately after the season.

Pay up on that 709 Vcash then. Ha.

MarketingBully
03-22-2016, 01:05 PM
If he gets assurances that someone will draft him in the first round, he will go. Otherwise, he will come back. It's pretty cut and dry. Otherwise, why would he not hire an agent if he is so gung ho to go. If he is a first round pick, he should go.

maroonmania
03-22-2016, 01:08 PM
If he gets assurances that someone will draft him in the first round, he will go. Otherwise, he will come back. It's pretty cut and dry. Otherwise, why would he not hire an agent if he is so gung ho to go. If he is a first round pick, he should go.

And that is the way it should be. If he can get drafted in the first round he should go. If its second round he should come back. Heck, second rounders aren't even guaranteed roster spots.

HSVDawg
03-22-2016, 01:10 PM

He would be a dumbass to not declare and at least get evaluated by the scouts. There is no downside to it.

TheRef
03-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Pay up on that 709 Vcash then. Ha.

I'm okay with that. I'll own up to it.

Coach34
03-22-2016, 01:16 PM
That would be so State to lose a player declaring for the NBA draft that couldnt even start for us at the end of the season. He's not going to be drafted in the 1st round. He is going to get an eye-opener going thru this process.

Homedawg
03-22-2016, 01:17 PM

I'll take the opposite

Bully13
03-22-2016, 01:18 PM
It's been well known for a while he was going to work out with no risk to his eligibility. Why this is worthy of shocking news or why a press conference is needed baffles me.

Dawg61
03-22-2016, 01:39 PM
That would be so State to lose a player declaring for the NBA draft that couldnt even start for us at the end of the season. He's not going to be drafted in the 1st round. He is going to get an eye-opener going thru this process.

Ha we kicked off a player who then got kicked off UAB then shot by a gun during a bad drug deal who then got drafted in the 1st round by the Pistons

jumbo
03-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Hope he comes back, but we will be just fine either way.

maroonmania
03-22-2016, 01:56 PM

Exactly, and even if he comes back we will need him to be much more consistent next year in order to make any significant difference to how good our team will be.

MSUDawg99
03-22-2016, 02:01 PM
It's been well known for a while he was going to work out with no risk to his eligibility. Why this is worthy of shocking news or why a press conference is needed baffles me.

Agreed. I don't consider it shocking news. Not sure anyone does. I just don't get the presser part.

Dawg61
03-22-2016, 02:25 PM
Time to really start watching the mock nba drafts.

mic
03-22-2016, 02:27 PM
Here is what should go down today..

We tell Bonner his media credentials aren't allowed access.. Just wait outside and we will give you cliff notes on what takes place inside.. but thanks so much for coming over to cover this..

msstate7
03-22-2016, 02:38 PM

I want him back... As a 2

KentuckyDawg13
03-22-2016, 02:53 PM
Not trying to be negative, but I was disappointed with the lack of production, toughness and energy from Malik. He is NOT NBA ready at all. He wasn't even SEC ready. Q transformed into an ALL-SEC player, as Malik pretty much stayed the same. I cannot think of one thing that he improved upon this season.

When putting together our 2016-17 roster, it is difficult trying to find a place for him. He is not a PG and is a SG. We also have Q, Tyson Carter, Eli Wright and Xavian all playing that same position. Tyson may redshirt due to his (lack of) weight, but if he can shoot as good as everyone says, I hope he does not. Eli W. is probably the most underrated player we signed, as he is very solid. Xavian is a 6'6" transfer scoring guard that will get minutes. And Q...well, no need to say anything else.
And if we did commit to using him as a PG, Lamar Peters is already ahead of him in terms of ball-handling skills in addition to next season's Senior PG Ready.

Good luck, Malik. We are pulling for you but you need some work.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2016, 02:57 PM
Stapleton is more of a 3/4 than a 2/3.

MSUDawg99
03-22-2016, 03:05 PM
Not trying to be negative, but I was disappointed with the lack of production, toughness and energy from Malik. He is NOT NBA ready at all. He wasn't even SEC ready. Q transformed into an ALL-SEC player, as Malik pretty much stayed the same. I cannot think of one thing that he improved upon this season.

When putting together our 2016-17 roster, it is difficult trying to find a place for him. He is not a PG and is a SG. We also have Q, Tyson Carter, Eli Wright and Xavian all playing that same position. Tyson may redshirt due to his (lack of) weight, but if he can shoot as good as everyone says, I hope he does not. Eli W. is probably the most underrated player we signed, as he is very solid. Xavian is a 6'6" transfer scoring guard that will get minutes. And Q...well, no need to say anything else.
And if we did commit to using him as a PG, Lamar Peters is already ahead of him in terms of ball-handling skills in addition to next season's Senior PG Ready.

Good luck, Malik. We are pulling for you but you need some work.

I understand that he did not live up to people's expectations of him and not trying to make excuses for him but he did spend a good bit of the season banged up with injuries &/or cramps. He did have about a 5 (or so) game stretch in there was he was "on" & then he got hurt again. But one average year is not going to turn scouts away from him. They saw what he could do in HS & AAU & his upside. We'll just have to see what he does at the workouts. Maybe he does better in that type of setting. Who knows. I'm sure he'll get himself ready to show out. Very curious to see how things turn out. Thankfully it's not based off what you did for one year. I'm sure there have been other players drafted in 1st round that didn't necessarily have great one & done years.

JoseBrown
03-22-2016, 03:13 PM
Jon Rothstein:

That would be the best thing for him. I look forward to having him back in the maroon and white, healed, energetic and vocal.

fishwater99
03-22-2016, 03:28 PM
I understand that he did not live up to people's expectations of him and not trying to make excuses for him but he did spend a good bit of the season banged up with injuries &/or cramps. He did have about a 5 (or so) game stretch in there was he was "on" & then he got hurt again. But one average year is not going to turn scouts away from him. They saw what he could do in HS & AAU & his upside. We'll just have to see what he does at the workouts. Maybe he does better in that type of setting. Who knows. I'm sure he'll get himself ready to show out. Very curious to see how things turn out. Thankfully it's not based off what you did for one year. I'm sure there have been other players drafted in 1st round that didn't necessarily have great one & done years.

I can't think of one right now, but I am sure there are some out there...

Jack Lambert
03-22-2016, 03:34 PM
I'm okay with that. I'll own up to it.

I'll pay it for you. Who ever has the power make it happen.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2016, 03:35 PM
I can't think of one right now, but I am sure there are some out there...

Zach Levine went lottery after avg 9ppg 2rpg & 2apg.

Big4Dawg
03-22-2016, 03:35 PM
He just said he is probably coming back if projected second round.

Big4Dawg
03-22-2016, 03:37 PM
Westbrook only averaged 13 points and 4 assit his 2nd year at UCLA and was drafted 4th overall.

Big4Dawg
03-22-2016, 03:40 PM
Here are 4 players from 2014:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/aaron-gordon-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/noah-vonleh-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/james-young-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tyler-ennis-1.html

Big4Dawg
03-22-2016, 03:43 PM
All drafted in first round in 2015:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kelly-oubre-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/devin-booker-2.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/justise-winslow-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/myles-turner-1.html

Newman averages more, if not close, to the same number of points.

djaymsu5
03-22-2016, 04:47 PM

Yea I don't see him coming back either. Even after the year he had I see him going as a lottery pick just because of his potential.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Yea I don't see him coming back either. Even after the year he had I see him going as a lottery pick just because of his potential.

He won't be a lottery pick but he has the opportunity to slide in the back end of the 1st rd.

smootness
03-22-2016, 04:51 PM
All drafted in first round in 2015:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kelly-oubre-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/devin-booker-2.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/justise-winslow-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/myles-turner-1.html

Newman averages more, if not close, to the same number of points.

Well, those situations were also totally different. Putting up 9-10 ppg for loaded Kansas, loaded Kentucky, or loaded Duke is completely different than doing it for Mississippi State.

shannondawg
03-22-2016, 05:23 PM
I been on Finebaum off and on and there is no mention of his decision. I guess its just not that big of a deal with his performance this year.

Bully13
03-22-2016, 05:41 PM
I been on Finebaum off and on and there is no mention of his decision. I guess its just not that big of a deal with his performance this year.

Because it's NOT a big deal.

MarketingBully
03-22-2016, 05:53 PM
It's pretty obvious one of two things will happen with Malik, 1) he gets a first round grade and is gone, or 2) he doesn't and he comes back. It's not rocket science here. It's his dream but he isn't going to go just to go. If that were the case, he would have hired an agent. Horatio and Malik aren't stupid. He is now fully healthy and will be determined to make a first round grade. If he does, I wish him well and will root for whichever NBA team drafts him. If he doesn't, he will know what he needs to work on to make the first round. I will say this. If he does come back, this team will make a run at the NCAA tournament and contend for the SEC next year. If he comes back, Malik will be determined and will be one of our leaders and take a bit of the pressure off our young guys. Either way, we will be okay IMO.

Dawg61
03-22-2016, 09:01 PM

ESPN just listed all the notable early draft entrees this year and zero mention of Newman. He needs to come back. He isn't ready and he'll regret his decision 3 hours after the draft starts for the rest of his life.

BeardoMSU
03-22-2016, 09:02 PM
ESPN just listed all the notable early draft entrees this year and zero mention of Newman. He needs to come back. He isn't ready and he'll regret his decision 3 hours after the draft starts.

I'm for giving the kid a little credit. Maybe its a bit naive, but I really think he'll make the right decision based on the info given to him at the combine.

Dawg61
03-22-2016, 09:18 PM
I'm for giving the kid a little credit. Maybe its a bit naive, but I really think he'll make the right decision based on the info given to him at the combine.

Idk I've got a bad feeling about it. All signs are pointing to him getting 17ed on draft night. Jamont Gordon went totally undrafted after three straight years of All-SEC play. I feel much worse about Newman's chances than I did about Gordon's. Let me be perfectly clear here too. I'm not saying this to be selfish so he'll play for MSU next year because I think we'll be just fine without him and maybe even better after seeing who gets his scholarship. A grad transfer PF for example would really help this team. Losing a quality guard doesn't hurt as much as gaining a quality grad transfer PF helps. Newman has a LOT he needs to work on. He might need two more years not just one. I just would feel really shitty about all of this if we can't prevent a disaster from happening. Newman not going in the 1st round is a disaster. That disaster is very real and very possible.

BeardoMSU
03-22-2016, 09:33 PM
Idk I've got a bad feeling about it. All signs are pointing to him getting 17ed on draft night. Jamont Gordon went totally undrafted after three straight years of All-SEC play. I feel much worse about Newman's chances than I did about Gordon's. Let me be perfectly clear here too. I'm not saying this to be selfish so he'll play for MSU next year because I think we'll be just fine without him and maybe even better after seeing who gets his scholarship. A grad transfer PF for example would really help this team. Losing a quality guard doesn't hurt as much as gaining a quality grad transfer PF helps. Newman has a LOT he needs to work on. He might need two more years not just one. I just would feel really shitty about all of this if we can't prevent a disaster from happening. Newman not going in the 1st round is a disaster. That disaster is very real and very possible.

Totally get your concerns, and I certainly have similar ones in the back of my mind. I think the main thing that's different here, though, is the new rule about declaring and getting input, but still being able to return to college. The fact that this took so long to happen is mind boggling. It just makes sense. Also, as much as I loved Gordon, with all his potential, he never struck me as one with a good head on his shoulders. He was a turnover machine, and often played extremely selfish. I'd be willing to bet had Jamont played for a coach like Howland, he'd have been a lottery pick.

I'd like to hope that most of Newman's woes this year had to do with his lack of consistency due to the nagging injuries. Also, I think Malik has better people around him, and something that really can't be understated, is that he is playing for a coach who he trusts and who's opinion he values (definitely wasn't the case for Gordon).

maroonmania
03-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Totally get your concerns, and I certainly have similar ones in the back of my mind. I think the main thing that's different here, though, is the new rule about declaring and getting input, but still being able to return to college. The fact that this took so long to happen is mind boggling. It just makes sense. Also, as much as I loved Gordon, with all his potential, he never struck me as one with a good head on his shoulders. He was a turnover machine, and often played extremely selfish. I'd be willing to bet had Jamont played for a coach like Howland, he'd have been a lottery pick.

I'd like to hope that most of Newman's woes this year had to do with his lack of consistency due to the nagging injuries. Also, I think Malik has better people around him, and something that really can't be understated, is that he is playing for a coach who he trusts and who's opinion he values (definitely wasn't the case for Gordon).

I guess its the NFL and NBA that won't allow it because they don't want their teams left empty handed somehow but I guess I've never understood why, like MLB, you don't just let the pro league draft who they want when they want and then either the player signs and goes pro or doesn't like his position and either goes to college or returns to college. Even with this scouting combine you are only going to get a range of where you will be drafted. If they tell Malik he is likely the very end of the 1st round to the middle of the second round what is he suppose to do with that? I mean you won't know your exact draft spot until the draft happens. If baseball can give kids the choice after the fact then why can't other leagues as long as an agent isn't hired?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2016, 10:43 AM
I guess its the NFL and NBA that won't allow it because they don't want their teams left empty handed somehow but I guess I've never understood why, like MLB, you don't just let the pro league draft who they want when they want and then either the player signs and goes pro or doesn't like his position and either goes to college or returns to college. Even with this scouting combine you are only going to get a range of where you will be drafted. If they tell Malik he is likely the very end of the 1st round to the middle of the second round what is he suppose to do with that? I mean you won't know your exact draft spot until the draft happens. If baseball can give kids the choice after the fact then why can't other leagues as long as an agent isn't hired?

I think the biggest reason is that in the NBA & NFL you're going to be depending on these draft picks to play & contribute to your team the upcoming season. In baseball more times than not you know drafting this kid he's 2,3, & sometimes 4 years away from contributing to the team.

maroonmania
03-23-2016, 11:32 AM
I think the biggest reason is that in the NBA & NFL you're going to be depending on these draft picks to play & contribute to your team the upcoming season. In baseball more times than not you know drafting this kid he's 2,3, & sometimes 4 years away from contributing to the team.

Yes, but for example, a second round draft pick in the NBA is not even guaranteed a roster spot but has no choice in returning to school. That fact alone tells you that NBA teams are not "depending" on guys not drafted in the first round. So, in that example, even if they gave a kid the option to come back if he was not a first rounder that would be a better. A similar cutoff in rounds could be done in the NFL.

And, as far as Malik goes, IMO he is probably going to stay in the draft if there is even a sliver of hope that he is going first round even though in reality he may be well into the second before getting selected on draft day.