PDA

View Full Version : OL

GTHOM
03-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Steve Robertson just tweeted that in spring practice Justin Senior was starting at LT and Martinas Rankin was at RT. First day of spring practice I know but wondering what yalls thoughts were. And what yall think the starting 5 should be come September

Johnson85
03-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Steve Robertson just tweeted that in spring practice Justin Senior was starting at LT and Martinas Rankin was at RT. First day of spring practice I know but wondering what yalls thoughts were. And what yall think the starting 5 should be come September

Depends on whether it means Senior is going to be a swing tackle or whether they are thinking he is the answer at LT. We only have three potential answers for OT next year, so somebody has to be prepared to play either tackle position. I normally think of the backup as the one that has to be ready to play either position and I don't think there's any chance Senior is going to be a backup, but it would make sense that Senior, with the most years in the program, would be the best prepared to handle switching from one side of the line to the other. And if Rankin not being able to grasp the playbook last year was a factor in him not playing, it would make sense that they would try to simplify things for him by only asking him to learn one position.

That said, while it's dumb to get worked up over where people are the first day of spring practice, I can't help but thinking that Justin Senior's performance this year did not make me say, "there's the answer for LT next year."

AFDawg
03-21-2016, 05:30 PM
[Conspiracy theory hat on]Or Mullen has already decided on Staley as QB1 and right is now left.[/Conspiracy theory hat off]

DawgNamedScuba
03-21-2016, 05:34 PM
[Conspiracy theory hat on]Or Mullen has already decided on Staley as QB1 and right is now left.[/Conspiracy theory hat off]

I was kinda thinking the same thing.

Coach34
03-21-2016, 05:45 PM
Senior is going to start- so all thats left to decide is who starts between Rankin and Jenkins. My guess is that Hev wants an experienced player at LT- and Senior is our most experienced.

I would almost bet that Fitz ends up the starter- but Lefty gets 1st half snaps in the first few games at the very least

Ifyouonlyknew
03-21-2016, 06:18 PM
All 3 of the OT took reps at both LT & RT.

GTHOM
03-21-2016, 11:01 PM
I personally think Elgton Jenkins is the best of the 3

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
03-22-2016, 12:40 AM
All 3 of the OT took reps at both LT & RT.

i like it. Senior & Jenkins seem pretty different. Senior top-heavy & fitness; Jenkins strong-based & drive. If Rankin can be both of those things, & lock down one side, we can play matchups & situations w/ the other two. I'd prefer to find 2 & ride them but I think we'll see all 3 in a lot of games.

Would Joq Johnson be 4th OT or would that go to a young guy like Story 1st?

Also, where do we see Stewart Reese lining up? I thought G coming in but thinking maybe w/ the late OT miss we'll try to force him outside. I have Parker pegged @ G & Eiland pegged @ RT.

Coach34
03-22-2016, 06:02 AM
Johnson has been the back-up Center

somebodyshotmypaw
03-22-2016, 06:32 AM
Johnson has been the back-up Center

Correct. But they are trying Johnson some at tackle with Moon as the backup center. Either way, I'm not expecting Johnson to be a factor in playing time.

Coach34
03-22-2016, 07:28 AM
Somebody else certainly has to work at Center- our top 2 are both Sr's again

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2016, 08:50 AM
Somebody else certainly has to work at Center- our top 2 are both Sr's again

Harrison Moon is that guy. They like the way he's controlled & made the calls on the scout team.

HancockCountyDog
03-22-2016, 09:40 AM
Correct. But they are trying Johnson some at tackle with Moon as the backup center. Either way, I'm not expecting Johnson to be a factor in playing time.

I'll be surprised if Johnson plays anything other than special teams