PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of what's going on non-weekend games.

Indndawg
03-21-2016, 10:30 AM
1) Not taking as serious?

2) Cohen is the mad-scientist baseball coach, tinkering w/lineups and personnel?

3) Not wanting the weekend team to see what he's doing (this would be laughable)?

4) Your theory................

Taog Redloh
03-21-2016, 10:33 AM
None of that stupidity is going on.

Against EKU, we made a few inconsistent pitching decisions, and gave up a big lead. Against Oral Roberts, I mean damn, we played 8 games in 10 days. Not unthinkable to play a bad one on a Wednesday.

It's nothing more than that.

ETA: We've also got a beatdown of Alcorn and a big RPI W over South Alabama midweek too. Was something sadistic going on in those games too?

smootness
03-21-2016, 10:36 AM

Against EKU, we made a few inconsistent pitching decisions, and gave up a big lead. Against Oral Roberts, I mean damn, we played 8 games in 10 days. Not unthinkable to play a bad one on a Wednesday.

Pretty much this. Our weekend pitching looks good right now (though Sunday is even a little shaky), but our depth is still developing. We threw some young guys against EKU, and it hurt us. Pretty much as simple as that.

Taog Redloh
03-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Pretty much this. Our weekend pitching looks good right now (though Sunday is even a little shaky), but our depth is still developing. We threw some young guys against EKU, and it hurt us. Pretty much as simple as that.
If we don't make that huge error, no telling what happens Sunday. And Zac Houston needs to man up and start throwing strikes, we really need him right now. Would be nice to have him as a counter on Sundays. I guess we'll probably let him go against Valley to see if he can somewhat pound the zone against weaker hitters.

missouridawg
03-21-2016, 10:49 AM
If we don't make that huge error, no telling what happens Sunday. And Zac Houston needs to man up and start throwing strikes, we really need him right now. Would be nice to have him as a counter on Sundays. I guess we'll probably let him go against Valley to see if he can somewhat pound the zone against weaker hitters.

After watching Houston out in LA, he needs a mechanics makeover if he wants to be a consistent strike thrower. He has way too much torque going through his delivery and it's causing him to be erratic. He needs to simplify the delivery, sacrifice a few MPH initially, and then gradually bring it back up.

A ball is a ball no matter if it's 96 MPH or 91 MPH.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-21-2016, 11:35 AM
We had a 12-6 lead in the 8th inning against EKU. At some point it's on the players to get the job done & close it out.

msstate7
03-21-2016, 11:39 AM
We had a 12-6 lead in the 8th inning against EKU. At some point it's on the players to get the job done & close it out.

Both midweek games last week were on the players imo. We should be able to use any combination of players we have and beat them.

Homedawg
03-21-2016, 12:23 PM

ETA: We've also got a beatdown of Alcorn and a big RPI W over South Alabama midweek too. Was something sadistic going on in those games too?
Pretty much agree. To add, some of our best teams ever had terrible losses- 84 lost to Livingston, st Francis and William Carey. 85 lost to Mississippi college, 88 lost to delta st and miss college. Stuff happens. We need to avoid making it a trend but this isn't football losing to Maine.

Jack Lambert
03-21-2016, 12:43 PM

To his defense he was throwing against one of the best offenses in the country.

State82
03-21-2016, 12:44 PM

Exactly. I mean, come on, you could run a couple shmucks from this board out there and close that game out.

Political Hack
03-21-2016, 12:45 PM
He's using them as opportunities to develop depth and find who he can count on in the post season. I don't blame him for that, but when the games are close you send in your studs to close it out. The way he's rotated guys leaves the cupboard bare by the end of the game if we do need to call guys in to shut down a rally. He's just got to be smarter when experimenting, but I don't blame him for experimenting. It'll make us a better team come regionals.

Homedawg
03-21-2016, 12:54 PM
He's using them as opportunities to develop depth and find who he can count on in the post season. I don't blame him for that, but when the games are close you send in your studs to close it out. The way he's rotated guys leaves the cupboard bare by the end of the game if we do need to call guys in to shut down a rally. He's just got to be smarter when experimenting, but I don't blame him for experimenting. It'll make us a better team come regionals.

Agree. However, we did send Tatum out to close out eastern Kentucky and he laid an egg. So it was a guy that we were counting on, in this case he failed too!

msstate7
03-21-2016, 12:59 PM
Agree. However, we did send Tatum out to close out eastern Kentucky and he laid an egg. So it was a guy that we were counting on, in this case he failed too!

Breaux, Tatum, and smith pitched vs eku... That's a large part of our weekend bullpen. They blew it, not Cohen

Homedawg
03-21-2016, 01:18 PM
Breaux, Tatum, and smith pitched vs eku... That's a large part of our weekend bullpen. They blew it, not Cohen

I'm agreeing that's the case-....we were up 5 when Tatum toed the rubber.

sleepy dawg
03-21-2016, 02:27 PM
We have 2 midweek loses on the season. Both happened in the same week sandwiched between Oregon and Vandy. I'd hardly call this a non-weekend game problem.

Political Hack
03-21-2016, 03:02 PM

That exact thought crossed my mind as I was typing that earlier. I'm sure Cohen thought we'd be fine in that game. It just really stings to lose two in a row to EKU and OR.

CadaverDawg
03-21-2016, 04:05 PM

I totally agree. Experimenting is fine, but you never blow all of your subs in the 7th inning of a game by taking out your best bats....it doesn't matter how big the lead is. Always save a few substitutions in case things get dicey. That is one of my biggest issues.

After all, he knows most of our midweek pitchers are young....so you never know what's going to happen. We learned the hard way against EKU, even with a vet like Tatum in the game. Baseball's a funny game, never ever leave yourself no options because you think you have a game wrapped up. Ever.

Todd4State
03-21-2016, 07:32 PM
The players do have to perform but Cohen also has to help put them in a position to succeed and not let the pitchers go so long. I thought he did a much better job of that in the games we have played since then. Cohen said as much in the postgame interview.

So they are both at fault.