PDA

View Full Version : Vanderbilt thoughts plus Cohen's biggest mistake

Todd4State
03-21-2016, 12:18 AM
To put our series win in perspective this weekend we are only the second team the past 2-3 years to win a series against Vandy on the road.

Now I have seen some anger towards Cohen over his decision to show bunt early. Personally I think we were trying to simply draw the infield in to open up the left side and were trying to distract the pitcher like we did against Beede a couple of years ago when we scored a ton off of him with that strategy. I won't pretend to know the sign or whatever but that is my opinion and I'll agree to disagree rather than turn this into another four page thread. At any rate wanting Cohen fired over that is a little over the top.

But I think some of our fans who feel that way feel that way in large part because of last season. We have to put that behind us and move forward and let this season play out. Pissed about midweek? Totally reasonable. But as long as we take care of business it won't kill us. That was more about mismanaging the pitching staff which I think Cohen FINALLY learned his lesson on. Plus we only have one midweek game for all but one week going forward making it even easier to manage.

I think Cohen's biggest mistake which lead to last season was letting up and trying to be more laid back after the CWS run. Then the players let up some and I think some of them lost focus and rested on their laurels until we lost to Arkansas Pine Bluff. Then Cohen went back to his personality which rubbed the players wrong and he ended up losing the team. I think our staff also misjudged some of our old recruits personality traits, add in the NCAA changing baseballs, shitty Adidas bats, and issues with Butch wanting to trot struggling pitchers out there and last season was the perfect shit storm.

That season is over. Many of those players are gone. We need to move forward. Our baseball program has.

Great to see our players come out after two disappointing losses and with one of our top relief guys struggling and still finding ways to win.

Great job by Blake Smith, Noah Hughes may have turned the corner, and good to see Tatum pitch well today. We need him. Humphreys continues to develop as a pitcher and is coming along. We need to get Houston and Paul Young going. Rigby is pitching well also. Keegan James is doing well also and did a good job of holding them in check today.

Dakota Hudson is becoming a legit ace. Awesome on Friday. Sexton is solid. We left him in too long but I can understand with our bullpen situation at the time. Brown has to do better- and yes the defense let him down but he needs to be more consistent.

Greet to see Kruger catch- especially based on what I heard last week. That just opens up our lineup and makes us better defensively. Plus we won't have to rely on freshmen catchers even though Marrero and Stovall have done a heck of a job.

Collins is getting better and better defensively at third. And that was a team that likes to bunt a lot on a fast surface. He had no errors that I recall. Maybe Friday? Lowe is adjusting and he is going to only get better. Gridley and LA had errors today- but LA made some huge defensive plays during the series. Once his bat comes around he is going to be really good. Gridley is so much better than he was last year.

Magnum and Cole Gordon stole the show this weekend. Gutsy performances to win the games for us. We could have caved after Robert's home run. Magnum came up and looked like a junior. Cody Brown and Mangum had huge assists for us in the outfield that would have been the difference in the game as well. Loved seeing Reid pimp his home run especially since has had two stolen this year. We need to get Rooker back on track but props to him for his game saving catch. Robson did what he does and was solid in general.

Looking ahead I can't believe I am going to say this but Valley is a big game for us IMO. We need to find a solid consistent midweek guy rather than pitch every freshman on the roster. We need to use that game to get some people right again- like Small. We need to win first and foremost. I hope we get Houston and Young in and I actually think Pilkington might help us some as the season goes along. We also may need to find a consistent Sunday guy. My head tells me give Brown another start because our defense let him down, he had one walk, and it was on the road. My heart says he can't get it done and go with one of the freshmen.

Hail State and go to hell Vanderbilt.

Commercecomet24
03-21-2016, 12:56 AM
Good analysis all the way around.

bulldogcountry1
03-21-2016, 07:51 AM
Good stuff. I am curious to see how we play an SEC series at home. We really need to make the most of our home field advantage. It's something that really been lacking for a long time. When we have the big crowds, it seems we lose more than we win, which blows my mind. It's exciting seeing the energy these young guys have, and I hope they take some ownership in DNF and take pride in refusing to lose in front of the home crowd.

basedog
03-21-2016, 08:06 AM
Good post Todd.

Mjoelner34
03-21-2016, 08:24 AM
Good post Todd.

+1

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2016, 09:14 AM
Good stuff. I am curious to see how we play an SEC series at home. We really need to make the most of our home field advantage. It's something that really been lacking for a long time. When we have the big crowds, it seems we lose more than we win, which blows my mind. It's exciting seeing the energy these young guys have, and I hope they take some ownership in DNF and take pride in refusing to lose in front of the home crowd.

It happens with some teams in many sports. The big home crowds with enormous expectations heap a lot of pressure to win on teams. Some thrive on it, some don't.

AlSwearengen
03-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Good post. Something that worries me a little, after we won the second game, there was probably too much celebrating. Huge series win, but it is a long season and the celebrating and singing on the bus shows our mindset.

Maybe I am longing for the days when we weren't surprised to win a series, no matter who we were playing.

Ralph
03-21-2016, 10:38 AM
T
Greet to see Kruger catch- especially based on what I heard last week.

Todd, What'd you hear or am I making more of this than I should?

HoopsCoach21
03-21-2016, 11:08 AM
Good post. Something that worries me a little, after we won the second game, there was probably too much celebrating. Huge series win, but it is a long season and the celebrating and singing on the bus shows our mindset.

Maybe I am longing for the days when we weren't surprised to win a series, no matter who we were playing.

I agree with you that winning should be the expectation, but Vandy doesn't lose many series at home. Todd even states in the OP this is only their second series loss at home in 2-3 years. That's a pretty bid deal. They're kids, let them have a little fun that night on the bus. It's not like they can stay out all night partying. I'm sure they have a strict curfew. I know we have a pretty good history in baseball but I don't think anyone in the country goes in and EXPECTS to win the series at #2 Vandy.

bulldogcountry1
03-21-2016, 11:13 AM

I thought someone said last week that he probably wouldn't be catching at all this season due to his arm.

maroonmania
03-21-2016, 12:27 PM
I agree with you that winning should be the expectation, but Vandy doesn't lose many series at home. Todd even states in the OP this is only their second series loss at home in 2-3 years. That's a pretty bid deal. They're kids, let them have a little fun that night on the bus. It's not like they can stay out all night partying. I'm sure they have a strict curfew. I know we have a pretty good history in baseball but I don't think anyone in the country goes in and EXPECTS to win the series at #2 Vandy.

Well, looks like maybe we did lose some focus in game 3 with the errors but who is to say the celebrating was the specific reason? Ideally you would have preferred them wait until after game 3 to do any celebrating by hey, it is what it is.

Ralph
03-21-2016, 03:13 PM
I thought someone said last week that he probably wouldn't be catching at all this season due to his arm.

That's right. Thx

ZedFedder
03-21-2016, 03:21 PM
Some of these freshman have become really solid players already and will only get better. Mangum has forced his into a talented lineup. Noah Hughes looked phenomenal with that change up. It honestly is one of the best circle changes I have seen in the college game in a few years. Keegan James is solid. Breaux is too. I also think it's just a matter of time before Marrero becomes a really strong hitter. Lowe is right on the cusp too.

HoopsCoach21
03-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Well, looks like maybe we did lose some focus in game 3 with the errors but who is to say the celebrating was the specific reason? Ideally you would have preferred them wait until after game 3 to do any celebrating by hey, it is what it is.

That's true and maybe they should've waited till after game 3, I totally get it. I just feel like fans sometimes go to far with things like that. If they can't celebrate some of the big wins because they came too early or we haven't accomplished anything yet then where does it end? Do we have to win the conference, or the national title before we can celebrate? Not much fun to be had most years then.

I know that's not what he was saying and I don't mean to make a huge deal about it. I just think that these guys work really hard and haven't had much to celebrate in a while so let them have a little fun. Hopefully they'll remember what winning feels like and work hard to make sure it continues.

99jc
03-21-2016, 03:38 PM
That's true and maybe they should've waited till after game 3, I totally get it. I just feel like fans sometimes go to far with things like that. If they can't celebrate some of the big wins because they came too early or we haven't accomplished anything yet then where does it end? Do we have to win the conference, or the national title before we can celebrate? Not much fun to be had most years then.

I know that's not what he was saying and I don't mean to make a huge deal about it. I just think that these guys work really hard and haven't had much to celebrate in a while so let them have a little fun. Hopefully they'll remember what winning feels like and work hard to make sure it continues.

Team is catcher I am not impressed with our Johnny bench nominee, yes I know he is a freshman but he makes way too many errors and pass bass that's my only bitch for this series. Hail state

dawggone
03-21-2016, 04:16 PM
To put our series win in perspective this weekend we are only the second team the past 2-3 years to win a series against Vandy on the road.

Now I have seen some anger towards Cohen over his decision to show bunt early. Personally I think we were trying to simply draw the infield in to open up the left side and were trying to distract the pitcher like we did against Beede a couple of years ago when we scored a ton off of him with that strategy. I won't pretend to know the sign or whatever but that is my opinion and I'll agree to disagree rather than turn this into another four page thread. At any rate wanting Cohen fired over that is a little over the top.

But I think some of our fans who feel that way feel that way in large part because of last season. We have to put that behind us and move forward and let this season play out. Pissed about midweek? Totally reasonable. But as long as we take care of business it won't kill us. That was more about mismanaging the pitching staff which I think Cohen FINALLY learned his lesson on. Plus we only have one midweek game for all but one week going forward making it even easier to manage.

I think Cohen's biggest mistake which lead to last season was letting up and trying to be more laid back after the CWS run. Then the players let up some and I think some of them lost focus and rested on their laurels until we lost to Arkansas Pine Bluff. Then Cohen went back to his personality which rubbed the players wrong and he ended up losing the team. I think our staff also misjudged some of our old recruits personality traits, add in the NCAA changing baseballs, shitty Adidas bats, and issues with Butch wanting to trot struggling pitchers out there and last season was the perfect shit storm.

That season is over. Many of those players are gone. We need to move forward. Our baseball program has.

Great to see our players come out after two disappointing losses and with one of our top relief guys struggling and still finding ways to win.

Great job by Blake Smith, Noah Hughes may have turned the corner, and good to see Tatum pitch well today. We need him. Humphreys continues to develop as a pitcher and is coming along. We need to get Houston and Paul Young going. Rigby is pitching well also. Keegan James is doing well also and did a good job of holding them in check today.

Dakota Hudson is becoming a legit ace. Awesome on Friday. Sexton is solid. We left him in too long but I can understand with our bullpen situation at the time. Brown has to do better- and yes the defense let him down but he needs to be more consistent.

Greet to see Kruger catch- especially based on what I heard last week. That just opens up our lineup and makes us better defensively. Plus we won't have to rely on freshmen catchers even though Marrero and Stovall have done a heck of a job.

Collins is getting better and better defensively at third. And that was a team that likes to bunt a lot on a fast surface. He had no errors that I recall. Maybe Friday? Lowe is adjusting and he is going to only get better. Gridley and LA had errors today- but LA made some huge defensive plays during the series. Once his bat comes around he is going to be really good. Gridley is so much better than he was last year.

Magnum and Cole Gordon stole the show this weekend. Gutsy performances to win the games for us. We could have caved after Robert's home run. Magnum came up and looked like a junior. Cody Brown and Mangum had huge assists for us in the outfield that would have been the difference in the game as well. Loved seeing Reid pimp his home run especially since has had two stolen this year. We need to get Rooker back on track but props to him for his game saving catch. Robson did what he does and was solid in general.

Looking ahead I can't believe I am going to say this but Valley is a big game for us IMO. We need to find a solid consistent midweek guy rather than pitch every freshman on the roster. We need to use that game to get some people right again- like Small. We need to win first and foremost. I hope we get Houston and Young in and I actually think Pilkington might help us some as the season goes along. We also may need to find a consistent Sunday guy. My head tells me give Brown another start because our defense let him down, he had one walk, and it was on the road. My heart says he can't get it done and go with one of the freshmen.

Hail State and go to hell Vanderbilt.

Overall good observation Todd. I slightly disagree on Robson though. He was 2-15 this weekend, I know his numbers are good for the year but we can't withstand to many 2-15 weekends in the leadoff spot. I know all players will hit there slumps etc.... so hopefully he will get it back together this week. Hudson wow, kid put the team on his shoulders Friday and got us a great start in SEC play.

maroonmania
03-21-2016, 04:28 PM
Overall good observation Todd. I slightly disagree on Robson though. He was 2-15 this weekend, I know his numbers are good for the year but we can't withstand to many 2-15 weekends in the leadoff spot. I know all players will hit there slumps etc.... so hopefully he will get it back together this week. Hudson wow, kid put the team on his shoulders Friday and got us a great start in SEC play.

The biggest key for Robson is going to be his OBP at the leadoff spot. Of course I assume that wasn't very good this past weekend either.

smootness
03-21-2016, 04:40 PM

This all day. It was important to get the team feeling good again after the midweek losses. In baseball, it's far better to be loose and feeling good than tight and grinding over the long haul. In college, there's a bit more of a mix of that required as opposed to pro ball, but it's still the case.

This is probably a week that's going to really help us as we go forward. We got the confidence that comes from winning a road series over Vandy while also getting the reality check that comes from losing 2 straight to EKU and Oral Roberts. We should be focused enough on every game going forward while also possessing the confidence to know we can beat anybody.

CadaverDawg
03-21-2016, 05:28 PM
I was glad to see our guys celebrating a big win. I feel like we play too tight at times. I want these guys to taste that success and then thirst for it every time they play.

As for Robson, I'm not overly impressed so far. Many of his hits have been infield hits, and he has made multiple base running errors. We have tons of options in the outfield if he throws up too many 2-15 weekends in the lead off spot. I like him a lot, but Mangum, Rooker, Brown, and Hump are very capable of playing OF and swinging the sticks. Not saying we should bench Robson, but we definitely have options where we can play the hot bat.

Todd4State
03-21-2016, 07:15 PM

I heard that it was doubtful that Kruger would catch this year. Obviously they were wrong.

Todd4State
03-21-2016, 07:19 PM

Maybe I am longing for the days when we weren't surprised to win a series, no matter who we were playing. I'm in the I want our guys having fun crowd as long as it's appropriate. They actually put some gifs on Twitter on the bus ride up before the series started which I thought was a good sign.

It seems to me that teams that have fun with each other tend to do well. And as for lack of focus on game three we made a respectable come back and got it down to 8-6.

Pollodawg
03-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Hudson is quickly becoming an ace.
Sexton would have been fine, but we let him go a little too long.
And Hughes really impressed me late Saturday night.

This team reminds me a lot of '13 actually. Pitching that could become outstanding and timely hitting when we need it. Battling back Friday in the 11th--I think--when Vandy had two guys on and one out and it looked like they were about to get it done and we got out of a jam was awesome to watch. At no point did this team quit any this weekend.

Todd4State
03-21-2016, 07:22 PM

I can agree to disagree on that but I will say of Robson's two hits- one was a double which Robson eventually scored on plus he also had two walks. Not all world but respectable.

Pollodawg
03-21-2016, 07:25 PM
And as far as Cohen goes, baseball isn't like football. At some point, you just have to let the guys play. Don't try and force a kid to do something if he doesn't feel right with it. Like the early bunts. I get what the numbers say and whatnot, but if the guy thinks he can make some solid contact and advance some folks, let him swing. Have some baseball with.....ya know......balls.

Todd4State
03-21-2016, 07:26 PM
Hudson is quickly becoming an ace.
Sexton would have been fine, but we let him go a little too long.
And Hughes really impressed me late Saturday night.

This team reminds me a lot of '13 actually. Pitching that could become outstanding and timely hitting when we need it. Battling back Friday in the 11th--I think--when Vandy had two guys on and one out and it looked like they were about to get it done and we got out of a jam was awesome to watch. At no point did this team quit any this weekend.

I'll give him a pass on Sexton because it was too risky to put Tatum in.

But yes I like what I see out of this team. Also- Vandy's offense was scoring about 8 runs a game this year and we held them to way under their average.

dawggone
03-21-2016, 07:40 PM
Team is catcher I am not impressed with our Johnny bench nominee, yes I know he is a freshman but he makes way too many errors and pass bass that's my only bitch for this series. Hail state

+1, way to many passed balls at this stage, plus kinda weak with the bat right now. He will be good in the future but right now Kruger needs to be the guy. Got to see him a lot in the fall, very good defensively, high baseball IQ and we already know he can hit. Bonus that opens up DH spot for Rooker, humphries, Collins whoever and put a better defender in outfield Brown/Mangum.

dawggone
03-21-2016, 07:51 PM
Todd your correct, robson did score one of our 2 runs Friday night after his double which turned out to be huge. Not saying bench him but agree with cadaverdog, a lot of his hits are infield singles, nothing wrong with those but if those don't continue and turn in to ground outs we have some really good options to go to. Hopefully this will be a moot point and he gets back on track this weekend. Every player will go thru these stretches at some point in the year.

HoopsDawg
03-21-2016, 09:01 PM
+1, way to many passed balls at this stage, plus kinda weak with the bat right now. He will be good in the future but right now Kruger needs to be the guy. Got to see him a lot in the fall, very good defensively, high baseball IQ and we already know he can hit. Bonus that opens up DH spot for Rooker, humphries, Collins whoever and put a better defender in outfield Brown/Mangum.

Agree, at this point I would like to see Kruger as our primary catcher with Stovall getting some reps. I hope Pilkington has another good outing tomorrow night and displays a little better control. He has great stuff and could find himself as the Sunday starter if he can cut down the walks. Not ready to write off Houston for that role yet either as he has SEC weekend stuff.

I don't think Robson should be untouchable as a starter. It's ok to start Hump, Mangum, and Brown in the outfield with Rooker at DH when Kruger is catching.

I would also consider Stovall some at 2B with Gridley at SS just to get Stovall more AB's.

HoopsDawg
03-21-2016, 09:08 PM
All of Cohen's lineups and we haven't seen this one yet:

1. Robson, CF
2. Rooker, DH
3. Kruger, C
4. Lowe, 1B
5. Hump, LF
6. Mangum, RF
7. Collins, 3B
8. Stovall, 2B
9. Gridley, SS

Nice mix of lefties and righties. Good defense. And all of best hitters except for Cody Brown. And like I said above, you could insert him for Robson every now and then.

tcdog70
03-21-2016, 09:28 PM
Robson should have a bunt single every game. He takes too many fastballs. Plus he hits too many "cans of corn". He needs to hit ground balls to the left side. His speed is under utilized. He needs to steal more. I wonder how many called third strikes he has?

Todd4State
03-21-2016, 11:32 PM

Agree about Kruger needing to start. Hopefully he starts two this weekend. Marrero is going to be good he just has to learn and grow like all freshmen.

Todd4State
03-21-2016, 11:35 PM
All of Cohen's lineups and we haven't seen this one yet:

1. Robson, CF
2. Rooker, DH
3. Kruger, C
4. Lowe, 1B
5. Hump, LF
6. Mangum, RF
7. Collins, 3B
8. Stovall, 2B
9. Gridley, SS

Nice mix of lefties and righties. Good defense. And all of best hitters except for Cody Brown. And like I said above, you could insert him for Robson every now and then.

I am a little surprised that LA hasn't had a day off to rest lately.