PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who thinks the Hump can't be .............

Liverpooldawg
03-20-2016, 05:33 PM
a snake pit again wasn't there today. It was about 2/3 full with almost no students and it was deafening down the stretch. The ghosts of '91, '96, and a couple of other years woke up for a while this afternoon. It was FUN!

BulldogDX55
03-20-2016, 06:07 PM
a snake pit again wasn't there today. It was about 2/3 full with almost no students and it was deafening down the stretch. The ghosts of '91, '96, and a couple of other years woke up for a while this afternoon. It was FUN!

Agreed. The energy in that building was INTENSE this afternoon.

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-20-2016, 06:27 PM
Great job guys! I watched on tv and crowd sound was muted somewhat, but you could tell it was rocking. I"m wondering if the announcers on tv were there or voiced in as was said on Friday. I don't think they ever showed them, at least I didn't see them as being there.

Can't wait for the men to have this type atmosphere.

RocketDawg
03-20-2016, 06:36 PM
Great job guys! I watched on tv and crowd sound was muted somewhat, but you could tell it was rocking. I"m wondering if the announcers on tv were there or voiced in as was said on Friday. I don't think they ever showed them, at least I didn't see them as being there.

Can't wait for the men to have this type atmosphere.

Pretty sure they were not there. Can't see them coming in for just one day, especially after they'd not been there two days before.

mic
03-20-2016, 06:57 PM
Im willing to bet that 50% or more of the fans in attendance today are not men's season ticket holders...
Our men's crowd could learn from this....

Liverpooldawg
03-20-2016, 06:58 PM
They weren't there.

Schultzy
03-20-2016, 07:01 PM
Michigan State's coach said in 20 years of coaching it's the loudest she has ever heard.

Liverpooldawg
03-20-2016, 07:06 PM
https://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2016/03/20/impactful-crowd-at-the-hump-propels-bulldogs-to-victory-and-sweet-sixteen/

I've been in three crowds like that for games I've been to at MSU: todays game, 1991 LSU men's basketball, and the Auburn football game in 2014. It was awesome.

msstate7
03-20-2016, 07:06 PM
Michigan State's coach said in 20 years of coaching it's the loudest she has ever heard.

Awesome... Great job guys

RocketDawg
03-20-2016, 07:56 PM
https://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2016/03/20/impactful-crowd-at-the-hump-propels-bulldogs-to-victory-and-sweet-sixteen/

I've been in three crowds like that for games I've been to at MSU: todays game, 1991 LSU men's basketball, and the Auburn football game in 2014. It was awesome.

There were some pretty loud ones during the '90s too in the Hump.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
03-20-2016, 08:12 PM
Idk how many students were there but the student tickets that they sold were spread throughout the crowd. So no way to look behind the goal & estimate student attendance.

I feel like we affected the game today & that's all I want as a crowd member. Girl missing 2/3 fts late was huge. Also, I think Candyman may have been responsible for that phantom TO call near our bench.

BossDawg
03-20-2016, 08:18 PM

Her actual quote about the game: "I've been a head coach for 21 years. I've played in front of some big crowds, probably a few bigger than that one. But I've never, ever played in front of a crowd that loud. Ever. That was the loudest crowd I've ever played in front of. What was the attendance? 7000? It sounded like there were 70,000 in here."*

starkvegasdawg
03-20-2016, 08:29 PM
There were some pretty loud ones during the '90s too in the Hump.

96 against AR was one of the loudest I've attended.

CadaverDawg
03-20-2016, 08:38 PM
Her actual quote about the game: "I've been a head coach for 21 years. I've played in front of some big crowds, probably a few bigger than that one. But I've never, ever played in front of a crowd that loud. Ever. That was the loudest crowd I've ever played in front of. What was the attendance? 7000? It sounded like there were 70,000 in here."*

That is Awesome! Nice work guys and gals. Proud

Mutt the Hoople
03-20-2016, 08:39 PM
The Girl's Basketball crowd is different from the Men's crowd. Men's basketball gave all the front row seats to the old-fart season-ticket holders who never come to games. In the meantime, the students were forced to sit in the upper deck (and you wonder why students don't go to games anymore).

Meanwhile, the Girls team has new, excited vocal fans coming out to see this new product. That's why the crowd sounded like MSU circa 1990's and early 2000's.

You put the Students down on the bottom, either at Center Court (like we were in the 1980's), or let them ring the first five rows of the court, and the electricity will come back to the Hump again.

Steakonastick
03-20-2016, 08:59 PM
Students did not even fill their lower level tickets this year.

Dawg61
03-20-2016, 08:59 PM
Hump was loud vs Florida when they had Noah and Horford. Also when Kentucky had Cousins and someone threw a water bottle onto the court giving us a technical foul.

Liverpooldawg
03-20-2016, 09:11 PM
Idk how many students were there but the student tickets that they sold were spread throughout the crowd. So no way to look behind the goal & estimate student attendance.

I feel like we affected the game today & that's all I want as a crowd member. Girl missing 2/3 fts late was huge. Also, I think Candyman may have been responsible for that phantom TO call near our bench.

Well, if they look to be over 25 or so it's a safe bet they aren't students. That was an older crowd. That's no knock on the students, they were just beginning to trickle back in after spring break.

Liverpooldawg
03-20-2016, 09:12 PM
Hump was loud vs Florida when they had Noah and Horford. Also when Kentucky had Cousins and someone threw a water bottle onto the court giving us a technical foul.

It was, but we lost those. I was there for both.

Liverpooldawg
03-20-2016, 09:14 PM
The Girl's Basketball crowd is different from the Men's crowd. Men's basketball gave all the front row seats to the old-fart season-ticket holders who never come to games. In the meantime, the students were forced to sit in the upper deck (and you wonder why students don't go to games anymore).

Meanwhile, the Girls team has new, excited vocal fans coming out to see this new product. That's why the crowd sounded like MSU circa 1990's and early 2000's.

You put the Students down on the bottom, either at Center Court (like we were in the 1980's), or let them ring the first five rows of the court, and the electricity will come back to the Hump again.

The students have about 5 sections behind the north goal in the lower deck.

RocketDawg
03-20-2016, 09:15 PM
I seem to remember a game vs Kentucky in the mid-late '90s when we were down something like 20-0 to start the game, then came back and won in overtime. I think that was the game where Mario Austin made his first, and possibly only, 3-pointer. The place was wild that day. Probably was 97 or so.

Liverpooldawg
03-20-2016, 09:15 PM

Yeah, that one was pretty loud. The LSU game in 91 was at another level though. If you weren't around then you have NO idea how starved we were for an SEC title that didn't involve baseball. It had been since the early 60s. The Hump was the loudest and wildest I have ever seen any crowd at MSU except possibly that 2014 Auburn football game. When some students came parading an inflatable gorilla wearing Shaq jersey in about 5 minutes prior to tip off you knew it was going to be something insane. The athletic department seized and removed the gorilla in about 30 seconds but the place went bonkers and stayed that way the entire game. If you were there today, it was like the last 4 minutes of today's game starting about an hour prior to tipoff, and it STAYED that way till about 30 minutes after the game was over.

Schultzy
03-20-2016, 10:29 PM
I seem to remember a game vs Kentucky in the mid-late '90s when we were down something like 20-0 to start the game, then came back and won in overtime. I think that was the game where Mario Austin made his first, and possibly only, 3-pointer. The place was wild that day. Probably was 97 or so.

We were down 21-2 and I'd forgotten about that three Mario hit. Loved walking out of the Hump listening to Kentucky fans bitching at each other.

TXDawg
03-20-2016, 10:53 PM

This was the loudest game I've ever attended at The Hump. I as a student and camped out the night before.

Remember watching the girls play Tenn before the guys played Arky. Two things still stand out to me from that game day experience:

1) Student section chanting at Pat Summit "You're a lesbo" clap-clap...clap-clap-clap. It was the '90's so it was funny.

2) When Arky guys came out for warm-ups, the student section started the "Wooooo....Pig Sooey" chant. Corliss Williams heard it and apparently thought we were Arky fans because he jogged over to us and raised his hands in encouragement. When we got to the last verse, we finished with "Wooooo....Pig Sooey....SUCKS!!!!" He promptly slumped his shoulders and sulked back to the rest of his teammates. It was AWESOME.

I attended a handful of games between 2004-2007, but none of them came close to the atmosphere that day.

starkvegasdawg
03-20-2016, 11:05 PM
This was the loudest game I've ever attended at The Hump. I as a student and camped out the night before.

Remember watching the girls play Tenn before the guys played Arky. Two things still stand out to me from that game day experience:

1) Student section chanting at Pat Summit "You're a lesbo" clap-clap...clap-clap-clap. It was the '90's so it was funny.

2) When Arky guys came out for warm-ups, the student section started the "Wooooo....Pig Sooey" chant. Corliss Williams heard it and apparently thought we were Arky fans because he jogged over to us and raised his hands in encouragement. When we got to the last verse, we finished with "Wooooo....Pig Sooey....SUCKS!!!!" He promptly slumped his shoulders and sulked back to the rest of his teammates. It was AWESOME.

I attended a handful of games between 2004-2007, but none of them came close to the atmosphere that day.

I camped out for that one, too. Still remember being in the back of done guy's suv with a beer turned up when campus police tapped on the window. Fortunately, they were cool with it and just made us put the cooler in the trunk of another car. We could still drink but had to walk for them the rest of the night. The AD delivering pizza at 1:00am was pretty sweet.

MarketingBully
03-20-2016, 11:10 PM

That game was in 2002. Great game! I attended as well.

Intramural All-American
03-20-2016, 11:19 PM

The reason students haven't been going is we have had losing records the past 4 years. My last year as a student was 2011, and the student section was generally packed.

TheRef
03-21-2016, 07:58 AM
The reason students haven't been going is we have had losing records the past 4 years. My last year as a student was 2011, and the student section was generally packed.

Yeah I remember camping out for the 2012 Kentucky game. The awesome part of that was when someone went to class that was camping out, we made sure they got their spot back. There was an unspoken agreement that those who camped out got first access to the Hump that day. It was 17'n cold that game, but if you get enough people in a tent you can get enough heat.

starkvegasdawg
03-21-2016, 08:03 AM
but if you get enough people in a tent you can get enough heat.

Body heat and pitching a tent...

TheRef
03-21-2016, 08:08 AM
Body heat and pitching a tent...

https://alextheshadowgirl.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/unnamed-11.gif

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-21-2016, 08:19 AM
a snake pit again wasn't there today. It was about 2/3 full with almost no students and it was deafening down the stretch. The ghosts of '91, '96, and a couple of other years woke up for a while this afternoon. It was FUN!.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-21-2016, 08:22 AM

This Florida game was the loudest I have ever heard. No seats available. Me and my buddy had to stand against wall behind student section. It was crazy!

GTHOM
03-21-2016, 09:04 AM
When we color coded and packed the Hump vs Kentucky when they had John Wall and Demarcus Cousins was badass. We shouldve won that game, we got screwed over and lost to KY twice that year

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2016, 09:10 AM

Jeeze dude it was a figure of speech. This board takes the cake sometimes.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-21-2016, 09:19 AM
Jeeze dude it was a figure of speech. This board takes the cake sometimes.

Why would you say it unless a good amount of people were saying that it would never be tough again in the Hump? I actually thought that people were saying this. No big deal. The fact that you took the time to respond to me that way takes the damn cake. Nobody can even ask a damn question on here without someone thinking there being a smart ass.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Why would you say it unless a good amount of people were saying that it would never be tough again in the Hump? I actually thought that people were saying this. No big deal. The fact that you took the time to respond to me that way takes the damn cake. Nobody can even ask a damn question on here without someone thinking there being a smart ass.

Unreal

shannondawg
03-21-2016, 09:51 AM

At Ky, the student section is behind the goal, and they are required to stand up as there aren't seats, just the steps. I noticed that unm has done the same thing at their new facility.

Just start winning and they don't give a shit where they sit.

I agree that the girls fans are a lot different and much more vocal. Just not the same crowd. For most of the games, the reserved section has a lot more vacancies during regular season games than general admission.

But many people just buy tickets to support the program, both men and women, which was a blessing during the Rick Ray years, but if a system was invented so it was easy to share the tickets if you were not planning on going and would gladly donate them to someone willing to fill the seat it would be great, especially during ooc games. If they could be downloaded and printed out. I know that there would be scalpers trying to take advantage of this system, but if someone smart enough to invent the system maybe they could put a safeguard on that as well..Maybe requiring registration, or something.

But the simplest thing is just start winning and there won't be a problem..

trob115
03-21-2016, 10:02 AM
At Ky, the student section is behind the goal, and they are required to stand up as there aren't seats, just the steps. I noticed that unm has done the same thing at their new facility.

I agree that the girls fans are a lot different and much more vocal. Just not the same crowd. For most of the games, the reserved section has a lot more vacancies during regular season games than general admission.

But many people just buy tickets to support the program, both men and women, which was a blessing during the Rick Ray years, but if a system was invented so it was easy to share the tickets if you were not planning on going and would gladly donate them to someone willing to fill the seat it would be great, especially during ooc games. If they could be downloaded and printed out. I know that there would be scalpers trying to take advantage of this system, but if someone smart enough to invent the system maybe they could put a safeguard on that as well..Maybe requiring registration, or something.

Texas A&M has a system like this. I wish we would implement this for baseball and basketball. I think it would greatly increase attendance.

Dawg61
03-21-2016, 10:05 AM

I really hope Stricklin reads this thread. Before the seats were sold to people that don't go to the games the Hump was an intimidating place to play at. Joakim Noah is quoted as saying the Hump was the toughest place to play at. Then we changed the seating and it totally destroyed the atmosphere. It has to go back to the way it was. Not even an option.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2016, 10:13 AM

Yes to ALL of this. We agitated for a ticket donation scheme during Stans regime but the only thing that they ever did was the hard to use thing with the Dawg tag stuff.

shannondawg
03-21-2016, 10:18 AM
I really hope Stricklin reads this thread. Before the seats were sold to people that don't go to the games the Hump was an intimidating place to play at. Joakim Noah is quoted as saying the Hump was the toughest place to play at. Then we changed the seating and it totally destroyed the atmosphere. It has to go back to the way it was. Not even an option.

There was a priority system in place then , It was just seats held by people not donating money because of the legacy of when the Hump was built. They did the same thing at Davis Wade and didn't seem to hurt attendance much. Maybe its just the product on the floor causing this. Its just like i said in a previous post, just start winning and there won't be a problem.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2016, 10:20 AM
What we need is an easy way to donate and print tickets at home. Then set a limit on how many times a season you can have your tickets not used or donated back 48 hours prior to the game. If you exceed the limit, your season ticket privileges are suspended for a season. Attendance is a problem even when we are winning, esp for non-conference games and mid-week games. Allowing local folks who will go to those less desirable games to buy unused tickets will help attendance and it will also generate more demand for season tickets in the long run.

Dawg61
03-21-2016, 10:23 AM
I say make the Hump first come first seat. Do away with reserved seating completely except the student section.

shannondawg
03-21-2016, 10:33 AM
You have any idea what that would do to donations?

Did you by any chance lose your seats when they reassigned seating ?

Dawg61
03-21-2016, 10:38 AM

It shouldn't do a damn thing. Donations should be about helping the university not locking in a seat you plan on only sitting in twice a year. You can still donate the same amount. Why would you pull your donation because MSU improved their basketball atmosphere?

shannondawg
03-21-2016, 10:40 AM
No disrespect , but you must live in a dream world.

And you didn't answer my question.

Dawg61
03-21-2016, 10:52 AM

I did answer it. Not one dime should be lost is my answer.

Liverpooldawg
03-21-2016, 11:30 AM

Make it basketball specific donations for the Hump.

BulldogDX55
03-21-2016, 12:03 PM
I did answer it. Not one dime should be lost is my answer.

Most people aren't as gallant as you. People want something for their money. The clear answer is a ticket donation plan, which would allow the school to make even more money because they're technically selling tickets twice, and restructuring the student section. It really should be the first few rows in every section to both create an unending ring of sound as well as force the old farts to stand if they want to see the game.

TXDawg
03-21-2016, 12:53 PM
I camped out for that one, too. Still remember being in the back of done guy's suv with a beer turned up when campus police tapped on the window. Fortunately, they were cool with it and just made us put the cooler in the trunk of another car. We could still drink but had to walk for them the rest of the night. The AD delivering pizza at 1:00am was pretty sweet.

That was Stansbury with the pizza, not the AD. He came out from the coaching offices around 12:15 and was shocked by the crowd that was there. He talked to a few of us for a while and asked if we needed anything. One guy jokingly said we could use some pizza. We all laughed it off and Stans walked away. Next thing we know, he's back about 30 minutes later with several boxes. I'll never forget that.

Dawg61
03-21-2016, 01:09 PM
Most people aren't as gallant as you. People want something for their money. The clear answer is a ticket donation plan, which would allow the school to make even more money because they're technically selling tickets twice, and restructuring the student section. It really should be the first few rows in every section to both create an unending ring of sound as well as force the old farts to stand if they want to see the game.

Once everyone sees the results of having a packed Hump for every game with everyone given the same opportunity to sit anywhere they want you'll start seeing donations rising not falling.

starkvegasdawg
03-21-2016, 01:19 PM
That was Stansbury with the pizza, not the AD. He came out from the coaching offices around 12:15 and was shocked by the crowd that was there. He talked to a few of us for a while and asked if we needed anything. One guy jokingly said we could use some pizza. We all laughed it off and Stans walked away. Next thing we know, he's back about 30 minutes later with several boxes. I'll never forget that.

You're right. That was Rick. Having to walk to get s beer was not much of a deterrence that night. I just remember pizza showing up and being hungry.

Steakonastick
03-21-2016, 01:48 PM
Sorry Mr. Adkerson you and your millions can sit up in the rafters since you arrived at tip off.

Great Plan

Dawg61
03-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Sorry Mr. Adkerson you and your millions can sit up in the rafters since you arrived at tip off.

Great Plan

Don't be a moron. Obviously someone like that will always get special treatment.

Steakonastick
03-21-2016, 02:02 PM
if the students packed the hump they could force stricklin's hand. But no way are they going to piss off boosters to hope that students show up.

The bottom line is if we win the hump will be packed and loud. Ours fans are loud when motivated see Auburn in 2014.

Dawg61
03-21-2016, 02:07 PM
if the students packed the hump they could force stricklin's hand. But no way are they going to piss off boosters to hope that students show up.

The bottom line is if we win the hump will be packed and loud. Ours fans are loud when motivated see Auburn in 2014.

Any booster getting upset cause they have to follow the same guidelines as everyone else is being selfish and childish if they threaten to pull their donation over it. Show up like everyone else and you'll have a good seat. It's really that simple.

Steakonastick
03-21-2016, 02:16 PM
or just donate if you want a good seat

shannondawg
03-21-2016, 02:23 PM
Any booster getting upset cause they have to follow the same guidelines as everyone else is being selfish and childish if they threaten to pull their donation over it. Show up like everyone else and you'll have a good seat. It's really that simple.

Why not do it for football and baseball as well?

Why don't you run it by Scott Stricklin and let us know.

By the way, you didn't answer my question : Did you lose your Hump seats on the reassignment ?

PS: I got a lot of folks that would just be tickled to death to see Mr Ackerson in a special seat while they sit up in the rafters. The would be so tickled they would probably double their scholarship or higher donations. Not me, I am not in that special group of people that would do that.

And a reply to let the students ring the court and make the old farts stand. The only problem I have with that is I am a old fart.

Dawg61
03-21-2016, 03:10 PM
You didn't ask me that question after you edited it out. Remember? No I didn't lose my seats.

shannondawg
03-21-2016, 03:16 PM

Doesn't look like it.

Dawg61
03-21-2016, 06:52 PM

Does on my screen but it doesn't matter cause the answer is no I didn't lose my seats.