PDA

View Full Version : Dud we upgrade at Pitching Coach?

AlmostPositive
03-20-2016, 12:02 AM
Or do we just have better arms this year?

Something tells me the new guy is doing something special, at least against ranked teams. I am far from an expert though, to say the least, so I could be way off base....

bobcat91
03-20-2016, 12:05 AM
We got a better coach and it remains to be seen how he recruits, because Butch was good at recruiting.

I seen it dawg
03-20-2016, 08:59 AM
We dramatically improved our coach. Totally different mindset.

mparkerfd20
03-20-2016, 09:06 AM
We have better arms. Still TBD on coaching upgrade.

Harrydawg
03-20-2016, 09:08 AM
I have noticed our pitchers staring down the other teams batters at the end of innings. Especially when our pitchers K's there batter, our pitcher stares them down all the way to the dugout.

This is no accident and how our new pitching coach wants them to approach.........

mic
03-20-2016, 09:09 AM
We have better arms. Still TBD on coaching upgrade.

It's and upgrade... Wit or without better arms..

shoeless joe
03-20-2016, 09:14 AM
I like what I've seen so far...but it'll take him bein here an entire offseason to really see what he brings.

I seen it dawg
03-20-2016, 09:27 AM
But we always recruited good arms before did we not? And none of them were ready to be valuable until their junior years if then. We have 6-7 newcomers that are major contributors right now. That never happened before and it's not all bc they are just better out of high school. It's a whole different attitude with our staff this year. Ballsack is now a major focus.

AlSwearengen
03-20-2016, 09:33 AM
Butch seemed to be good at getting the most out of less talented players, but struggled with getting highly talented guys to pitch up to their abilities consistently. Frustrating as hell.

The new guy, from all indications is a more progressive and modern approach. He doesn't suffer a ***** attitude either.

ShotgunDawg
03-20-2016, 09:51 AM
I've had this discussion with people for a while now and the problem is that most feel like they have to speak poorly about Butch in order to speak well about Wes, and I don't see it that way.

1. Butch Thompson is awesome. Butch is great. Butch can recruit, has outstanding judgement, and can recruit. Butch has a better chance of being a head coach than Wes. His skill set is more well rounded.

2. Wes Johnson is a better pitching coach than Butch Thompson. He is. However, this is in the same way that Norv Turner is a better offensive coordinator than Bill Belichick. Does that mean Belichik isn't good and isn't better at everything else than Turner? No, it just means that Turner is better in a more specialized field.

3. As for recruiting, Wes will be good. He'll get the guys that do what he's looking for and we'll have the best pitching staff MSU has had in years within 3 years.

Saltydog
03-20-2016, 11:34 AM
year but those of you that think Butch wasn't a good coach are way off base.......He was a heck'uva pitching coach.....Yes, the staff sucked last year but we sucked in several areas last year.......Go back and look at the three or four years prior to that.....We had some of the better staffs in the league.......Problem was, we couldn't hit shit, sans 2013......

BiscuitEater
03-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Or do we just have better arms this year?

Something tells me the new guy is doing something special, at least against ranked teams. I am far from an expert though, to say the least, so I could be way off base....

Had a bunch of questions after the Tue game vs Eastern KY on Tue. Seemed like every reliever was up in the zone. Breaux, Small, Tatum and Smith all got hit pretty good. BUT at least I understand that the goal for last weeks weekday games was to get the BP ready for Vandy. 13 of the 17 pitchers on the staff got in those two games. So far .. It seems to have done EXACTLY what the coaching staff wanted and the relievers have looked exceptional.