PDA

View Full Version : Explain to me the advantage Vandy has in recruiting

Alphadog
03-19-2016, 09:00 PM
I have read here that Vandy has some sort of advantage. What is it?

BulldogBear
03-19-2016, 09:01 PM
Private school can kind of get around the 11.7 Scholly BS

Alphadog
03-19-2016, 09:04 PM
Private school can kind of get around the 11.7 Scholly BS

So do they have the same advantage in football and basketball

Intramural All-American
03-19-2016, 09:05 PM
Football and basketball offer full scholarships to all of their players. Baseball is the only one different.

msstate7
03-19-2016, 09:07 PM
Football and basketball offer full scholarships to all of their players. Baseball is the only one different.
Well couldn't they offer walk on's scholarships too so they have more players?

HSVDawg
03-19-2016, 09:09 PM
Endowment scholarships + premier education if baseball doesn't work out sells a lot of kids. And with baseball typically being a more affluent sport than football and basketball as it relates to the background of the players, the "premier education" aspect goes a long way.

Intramural All-American
03-19-2016, 09:13 PM
Well couldn't they offer walk on's scholarships too so they have more players?

Explain. Not sure what you mean by that.

Nevermind, I see what you are saying. Having paid walk ons after having 85 scholarship players won't do anything. The walkons will still be the bottom of the barrel.

dawgoneyall
03-19-2016, 09:16 PM

https://giving.vanderbilt.edu/oppvu/

msstate7
03-19-2016, 09:17 PM
Explain. Not sure what you mean by that.

If they don't have to abide by normal scholarships limits, couldn't they get more players on campus by hiding behind private school whatever... Just like they do in baseball, but basketball and football. Like having 15-6 basketball players and 95 football players

Alphadog
03-19-2016, 09:19 PM
So if we gave more $ to the school we could do this?

Taog Redloh
03-19-2016, 09:30 PM
They can give need-based aid, i.e. scholarships for low income students who get good enough grades. In football/basketball, it's near useless, but in baseball, it can really help. And there are plenty of ways to create that "need". Especially on paper.

Alphadog
03-19-2016, 09:36 PM
They can give need-based aid, i.e. scholarships for low income students who get good enough grades. In football/basketball, it's near useless, but in baseball, it can really help. And there are plenty of ways to create that "need". Especially on paper.

This makes sense. I'm assuming a public school can't do this?

dawgoneyall
03-19-2016, 09:50 PM

Its helps in football also.
Stanford figured all that out before Vandy.
But then again they are smart people and the NCAA people are dumbasses.

Alphadog
03-19-2016, 09:59 PM

So does the NCAA eventually put a stop do this? Kind of like Bama giving swimming scholarships to football players back in the day

Taog Redloh
03-19-2016, 10:00 PM
Yeah, it does with QBs And a select few others I guess. But let's face it most football players aren't that sharp. And....you have plenty of scholarships to give in football. Plenty of room between 11.7 and 35 in baseball. It's like how the SECN network money helps us more than say, Alabama, bc it's a bigger piece of pie for us.

Goat from MSU
03-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Tennessee has the Hope Scholarship ,any kid who gets 21 or higher on ACT gets 4000 a year to any school in the state.

msstate7
03-19-2016, 10:03 PM
Tennessee has the Hope Scholarship ,any kid who gets 21 or higher on ACT gets 4000 a year to any school in the state.

Can they take it at Wayne county?

dawgoneyall
03-19-2016, 10:05 PM
Yeah, it does with QBs And a select few others I guess. But let's face it most football players aren't that sharp.

My nephew played (started and was All-SEC middle linebacker) at MSU and is an Orthopedic surgeon.
But he understands when i call him a dumbass.
Really, my nephew-in-laws if there is just a thing.....but he calls be uncle..the dumbass.

Alphadog
03-19-2016, 10:05 PM

But that is just for in state kids right? Sounds like Vandy could get hope for in state kids and the out of state could " qualify" for the low income scholarship

Taog Redloh
03-19-2016, 10:08 PM
This makes sense. I'm assuming a public school can't do this?

No, they can't. The advantages that Florida, Tennessee, Georgia and LSU have are the typical lottery/HOPE stuff for in state students who get like a 2.0.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-19-2016, 10:15 PM

Nobody else mentioned this, but to add that Nashville is one of the coolest towns in the country.

Goat from MSU
03-19-2016, 10:22 PM
Yes just in state .
But that is just for in state kids right? Sounds like Vandy could get hope for in state kids and the out of state could " qualify" for the low income scholarship

RocketDawg
03-19-2016, 10:25 PM
Even if the scholarship thing was equal to the other schools, Vandy would still have an advantage over other SEC schools because of their outstanding academics. If you were a good student and a baseball player, would you rather go to Vandy ... or Ole Miss? It's a no brainer. And baseball players tend to be pretty good students, at least relative to football and basketball.

I believe MSU, and other schools, can supplement the baseball scholarships with academic ones if they meet the criteria. Is this correct?

RocketDawg
03-19-2016, 10:28 PM
Probably easier to qualify for low income at Vandy than at a public school, given what it costs to go there. Very few families can afford their tuition/living expenses.

ShotgunDawg
03-19-2016, 10:40 PM
Vanderbilt Scholarship Advantages

1. Need based scholarship - If a Vanderbilt recruit's parents make less than $103,000 of household income, then the player qualifies for a need based scholarship that makes Vanderbilt free. Dansby Swanson was on this scholarship. Yes, the #1 overall pick in last year's draft, was never on baseball scholarship

2. Minority scholarships - Because Vandy is private & so heavily Caucasian, the school offers "minority scholarships" to minorities with good grades. Yes, Jeren Kendall is not on baseball scholarship at Vanderbilt

3. NAACP Scholarship - 1 Vanderbilt athlete in each sport gets this scholarship. Yes, Roe Coleman is not on baseball scholarship at Vanderbilt.

4. Bullets - Vanderbilt made a concession that each sport gets a few "bullets". This means that Vandy can pick out a few players each year that wouldn't otherwise qualify for Vanderbilt, to get in. When combined with #1 from above, Vanderbilt can get the best player in the country most years.

Where does Vanderbilt use it's baseball scholarship money? They use it on top 3 round caliber high school pitchers, usually from high educated families from around the country, that they believe will turn down 7 figure signing bonuses to come to Vanderbilt. Why? because the family values education & Vanderbilt has a history of helping prospects up their status.

Want to know how effective this scholarship model is? Remember how awesome Miami used to be in baseball? Them & Stanford were the first private schools to implement this scholarship model. Stanford still has it, but they are very poorly coached & unmotivated, but, when Donna Shalala became the president of Miami, she got rid of the program & Miami baseball hasn't been the same since.

Hope this makes sense.

Alphadog
03-19-2016, 11:00 PM

1. Need based scholarship - If a Vanderbilt recruit's parents make less than $103,000 of household income, then the player qualifies for a need based scholarship that makes Vanderbilt free. Dansby Swanson was on this scholarship. Yes, the #1 overall pick in last year's draft, was never on baseball scholarship

2. Minority scholarships - Because Vandy is private & so heavily Caucasian, the school offers "minority scholarships" to minorities with good grades. Yes, Jeren Kendall is not on baseball scholarship at Vanderbilt

3. NAACP Scholarship - 1 Vanderbilt athlete in each sport gets this scholarship. Yes, Roe Coleman is not on baseball scholarship at Vanderbilt.

4. Bullets - Vanderbilt made a concession that each sport gets a few "bullets". This means that Vandy can pick out a few players each year that wouldn't otherwise qualify for Vanderbilt, to get in. When combined with #1 from above, Vanderbilt can get the best player in the country most years.

Where does Vanderbilt use it's baseball scholarship money? They use it on top 3 round caliber high school pitchers, usually from high educated families from around the country, that they believe will turn down 7 figure signing bonuses to come to Vanderbilt. Why? because the family values education & Vanderbilt has a history of helping prospects up their status.

Want to know how effective this scholarship model is? Remember how awesome Miami used to be in baseball? Them & Stanford were the first private schools to implement this scholarship model. Stanford still has it, but they are very poorly coached & unmotivated, but, when Donna Shalala became the president of Miami, she got rid of the program & Miami baseball hasn't been the same since.

Hope this makes sense.

Sounds fair

ShotgunDawg
03-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Sounds fair

HAHA. Actually, it's absurd.

This issue is what drove Ron Polk insane. He used to argue that there would be riots if this existed in SEC football. However, Title 9 has caused this issue.

MedDawg
03-19-2016, 11:11 PM
I'm not sure if private vs public really has a lot to do with it. Seems it's simply Vandy's huge endowment that makes it easier for them to augment the 11.7. I imagine if we *really* wanted to do something (and if this was NCAA legal), we could easily get boosters to fund a scholarship endowment of which 51% goes to regular students and 49% to baseball players and ensure that all of our players were covered between the 11.7 and the endowment.

dawgoneyall
03-19-2016, 11:11 PM

Hope this makes sense.

Yes...Stanford figure this out in baseball long ago and recently in football.

HSVDawg
03-19-2016, 11:19 PM

I think that only applies to public schools though. Therefore Vandy would be excluded. That's less than 10% of the annual tuition at Vandy anyways.

JohnnyQuid
03-19-2016, 11:53 PM
they can offer more schollies some loophole with private school. + a vandy education value is pretty high - not bad for free if baseball don't work out

Homedawg
03-20-2016, 12:51 AM

No it doesn't. This is wrong. Period. Just bad Info. Stanford
Got better players but didn't beat the system. This doesn't matter in full scholarship sports. The advantage is in baseball-tennis- golf etc

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
03-20-2016, 12:53 AM
My nephew played (started and was All-SEC middle linebacker) at MSU and is an Orthopedic surgeon.
But he understands when i call him a dumbass.
Really, my nephew-in-laws if there is just a thing.....but he calls be uncle..the dumbass.

Is your nephew-in-law Daniel Boyd?

Dawg61
03-20-2016, 01:26 AM
Vandy has similar momentum from so many recent draft picks that UK has in basketball. Previous picks are recruiting future picks. It's a domino effect.

Jack Lambert
03-20-2016, 08:07 AM
If they don't have to abide by normal scholarships limits, couldn't they get more players on campus by hiding behind private school whatever... Just like they do in baseball, but basketball and football. Like having 15-6 basketball players and 95 football players

I think in football if you walk on and you are on the roster you have to pay your own way. Either by out of pocket or student loan. Any other form of assistance you will count against the total of 85 in football. Baseball is different. That's why the NCAA kept on blowing Polk off every time he whined.

Don't get me wrong I still think Polk was correct and the low limit of scholarships in baseball is bullshit.

ShotgunDawg
03-20-2016, 09:15 AM
Vandy has similar momentum from so many recent draft picks that UK has in basketball. Previous picks are recruiting future picks. It's a domino effect.

Yes & no.

Vandy's momentum is different because, for the most part, they don't have to recruit against other college baseball teams for talent. Regardless of Kentucky's basketball success, if Kentucky could only offer a 50% scholarship & MSU could offer a 100% scholarship then MSU probably gets the players that Kentucky is getting. It may not be immediate, but over the course of 5 years or so, the roles would switch & Calapari would want to be MSU's coach because it was easier & he had an advantage.

Vandy's biggest competition is against the MLB draft. What they they absolutely can't have happen on a consistent basis is to choose to sign a kid that ends up going pro instead of a player that they liked that ended up signing with LSU or MSU. Vandy over signs though, since they have no scholarship limit, so this scenario rarely happens. Vandy loses more high school players to the MLB than any other team, but their track record & success gives them ammunition to convince to kid to turn down 1 million + dollars in the draft to go school.

The entire thing is a scam. Baseball recruiting is ALL about scholarship money, & has very little to do with history & tradition.

Goat from MSU
03-20-2016, 09:54 AM
Wrong , it is all schools,I have a Senior this year who been accepted to one public and 5 private in Tennessee.She gets the money no matter where she goes.

IMissJack
03-20-2016, 10:25 AM
Wrong , it is all schools,I have a Senior this year who been accepted to one public and 5 private in Tennessee.She gets the money no matter where she goes.

This is one of the reasons it is getting where the economics to go to a private school is more advantageous than going to a public university, especially for out of state students. I have three sons, one currently a junior at a top 10 ranked public high school in TX. He wants to go to MSU. The out of state tuition at MSU is currently over $18K per year at MSU (just tuition), and I believe this is the cheapest out of state tuition in the SEC. However, at private schools the in state and out of state tuition is the same generally, and they give more financial aid, which makes the net cost for the out of state student less than at the public schools. My son is not in the top 25% of his class, and we"make too much, so MSU is not giving anything to him. Nevermind I have given MSU nearly $75K over my sons' life.

ShotgunDawg
03-20-2016, 10:36 AM
This is one of the reasons it is getting where the economics to go to a private school is more advantageous than going to a public university, especially for out of state students. I have three sons, one currently a junior at a top 10 ranked public high school in TX. He wants to go to MSU. The out of state tuition at MSU is currently over $18K per year at MSU (just tuition), and I believe this is the cheapest out of state tuition in the SEC. However, at private schools the in state and out of state tuition is the same generally, and they give more financial aid, which makes the net cost for the out of state student less than at the public schools. My son is not in the top 25% of his class, and we"make too much, so MSU is not giving anything to him. Nevermind I have given MSU nearly $75K over my sons' life.

If your son makes over a 26 on his ACT, I believe he gets in-state tuition at MSU

nsvltndog
03-20-2016, 10:49 AM

See below from the MSU Website. As an out of state alum, if your son's have at least a 3.0 and 20 on their ACT they will be eligible to receive scholarship dollars to MSU. Dollars increase based on higher grades and ACT scores. I believe these are automatic awards, but have not thoroughly researched to make sure. You referenced that your son is not in the top 25% of his class so maybe he is missing these cutoffs, but this seems like a fairly generous program for prospective students of out of state alumni.

http://www.admissions.msstate.edu/freshmen/money-matters/scholarships/academic-scholarships/

Combined Awards for Freshman Alumni Non-Resident Scholarships

Non-resident students who are children of alumni can receive a Freshman Academic Excellence Scholarship, a Non-Resident Tuition Scholarship, and an Alumni Non-Resident Tuition Scholarship. We have combined the three scholarships for the total award amounts listed below.

Annual award (over a maximum of 8 semesters)

Criteria:
One or both parents are MSU Alumni
Minimum high school GPA 3.0
Annual Scholarship Award Ranges
ACT Score Range SAT Score Range 3.00-3.49 GPA 3.5 and above GPA
20-21 940-1010 $6,150 $6,650
22-25 1020-1160 $11,650 - $12,150 $12,650 - $13,150
26-29 1170-1320 $13,650 - 15,150 $13,650 - $16,150
30-32 1330-1430 $16,150 - $16,650 $17,150 - $17,650
33-36** 1440-1600 $16,650 - $18,150 $18,650 - $20,150

Dawg61
03-20-2016, 01:59 PM
If your son makes over a 26 on his ACT, I believe he gets in-state tuition at MSU

26 and above gets your out of state tuition waved. Did for me. Entire time I was at MSU I got my oos waived. Saved a lot of money. Thanks MSU!!

Joe Schmedlap
03-20-2016, 02:26 PM
If your son isn't in the top 8-10% of his high school class in Texas, then he isn't getting into TAMU or UT as a freshman. As an alumnus, 50% of the out of state tuition at Mississippi State University will be waived for your son. To keep that waiver/scholarship, he just needs to maintain a 3.0 GPA. With an ACT of around 25, the other half of out of state tuition is waived. So by birthright alone, your son can attend State for half the amount the typical out of state student pays for tuition. Look at those numbers closely as he heads into his senior year. State is actually a more than decent bargain. Make a mediocre ACT and it will be cheaper than Texas Tech and just about every other comprehensive public 4 year university in the state of Texas to include mid tier schools such as SFA and Texas State. And if one cannot gain entrance in UT Austin or TAMU, then you can choose Baylor, TCU, SMU etc with their $55,000 per year true cost of attendance. Contact a recruiter in your area or alumni chapter officer if there is one in your area. Sorry to get off the beaten path concerning the original topic if this thread, but I'd love to help a fellow alumnus out with sending a child to State.

IMissJack
03-20-2016, 07:24 PM
If your son isn't in the top 8-10% of his high school class in Texas, then he isn't getting into TAMU or UT as a freshman. As an alumnus, 50% of the out of state tuition at Mississippi State University will be waived for your son. To keep that waiver/scholarship, he just needs to maintain a 3.0 GPA. With an ACT of around 25, the other half of out of state tuition is waived. So by birthright alone, your son can attend State for half the amount the typical out of state student pays for tuition. Look at those numbers closely as he heads into his senior year. State is actually a more than decent bargain. Make a mediocre ACT and it will be cheaper than Texas Tech and just about every other comprehensive public 4 year university in the state of Texas to include mid tier schools such as SFA and Texas State. And if one cannot gain entrance in UT Austin or TAMU, then you can choose Baylor, TCU, SMU etc with their $55,000 per year true cost of attendance. Contact a recruiter in your area or alumni chapter officer if there is one in your area. Sorry to get off the beaten path concerning the original topic if this thread, but I'd love to help a fellow alumnus out with sending a child to State.

Thanks for all the information. We will be going to one of the visiting weekends at MSU, and have contacts there.

jumbo
03-21-2016, 10:44 AM
It sure as hell isn't their stadium/fan base. I was there Saturday and I've been to little league games that were a better environment

Taog Redloh
03-21-2016, 10:49 AM
It sure as hell isn't their stadium/fan base. I was there Saturday and I've been to little league games that were a better environment

No shit. Imagine if MSU won a national championship then got to the Finals again the next year. There wouldn't be a seat in the house for the SWAC midweek games in 30 degree weather.

Out of Bounds
03-21-2016, 12:44 PM
The coolest town in the South w/an NFL team and some of the best music in the world.
World class education & alumni network
Food scene has exploded
Beautiful women everywhere

The sport is driven by travel ball & many parents either have $$ or are smart enough to know the advantages a Vandy ed has on the street.
That is the perfect recipe for college baseball recruiting. BIG adv over MSU & other schools.

ShotgunDawg
03-21-2016, 01:09 PM
The coolest town in the South w/an NFL team and some of the best music in the world.
Food scene has exploded

The sport is driven by travel ball & many parents either have $$ or are smart enough to know the advantages a Vandy ed has on the street.
That is the perfect recipe for college baseball recruiting. BIG adv over MSU & other schools.

And Vandy can offer a 100% scholarship when MSU and others can only offer 50 or 60%. That's what matters most.

Political Hack
03-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Food scene has exploded

Yep. I'd send my kid there without hesitation. Hell, I may move with him.

SouthMsDawg
03-21-2016, 01:35 PM

Why doesn't Mississippi do something like this? I know kids at Community Colleges get a little bit for 20+ ACT but 4 years public universities should as well.

SouthMsDawg
03-21-2016, 01:38 PM
Food scene has exploded

So is other words, Vandy Baseball is Y'all Lifestyle approved

jumbo
03-21-2016, 02:10 PM
Why doesn't Mississippi do something like this? I know kids at Community Colleges get a little bit for 20+ ACT but 4 years public universities should as well.

Mississippi doesn't have a lottery

Maroonandwhite
03-21-2016, 04:25 PM
Among the other added benefits listed for Vandy, how about 3 conference championships since 2004, a consistently ranked program that made the post season every year but once since 2004, 2 consecutive CWS NC series and 1 championship?

I love MSU baseball and will always. But let's face it, they have been far more successful.

jumbo
03-21-2016, 05:09 PM
Because of their scholarship advantages

blacklistedbully
03-21-2016, 05:12 PM
Among the other added benefits listed for Vandy, how about 3 conference championships since 2004, a consistently ranked program that made the post season every year but once since 2004, 2 consecutive CWS NC series and 1 championship?

I love MSU baseball and will always. But let's face it, they have been far more successful.

Total CWS appearances - MSU 9, Vandy 3
Total NC series appearances - MSU 1, Vandy 2
SEC Regular Season Titles - MSU 10, Vandy 6
SEC Tourney Titles - MSU 7, Vandy 2

Vandy has been more successful very recently, but it also corresponds with them getting the HUGE recruiting advantage they now enjoy, since baseball scholarships were reduced. We are no longer playing on anything resembling a level playing field.

Historically we are a much better program. If the rules stay the way they are, that will probably eventually change.

Taog Redloh
03-21-2016, 05:23 PM

Right now, yes. But not when Corbin took over. We are talking about HOW they built this, not the results. We can obviously see that, genius.

Taog Redloh
03-21-2016, 05:24 PM
Food scene has exploded

Then why didn't they do that before now?

The answer is the scholarships. Corbin exploited it, when nobody else there cared enough to even try. All that stuff you listed is secondary.

Maroonandwhite
03-21-2016, 05:46 PM
Right now, yes. But not when Corbin took over. We are talking about HOW they built this, not the results. We can obviously see that, genius.

Sorry, I thought the other facts had already been listed. They obviously had a great academic reputation, scholarship money, and subsequently made a great coaching hire. And for the past 11 years built a successful program on that. What did Butler or Gonzaga basketball have before hiring their coaches? Probably not the best comparison; but, the best I could do on the spot. That was my point. Didn't mean to come across the wrong way.

ShotgunDawg
03-21-2016, 05:51 PM
Sorry, I thought the other facts had already been listed. They obviously had a great academic reputation, scholarship money, and subsequently made a great coaching hire. And for the past 11 years built a successful program on that. What did Butler or Gonzaga basketball have before hiring their coaches? Probably not the best comparison; but, the best I could do on the spot. That was my point. Didn't mean to come across the wrong way.

Vandy built the program by having more scholarship money than any other SEC school.

Duke's baseball program has all the things that Vandy's does, but the scholarships. Cool area, local talent, ACC, beautiful women, and a bigger brand name than Vandy.