PDA

View Full Version : TK Kieras - Holy $&@!

BrunswickDawg
03-18-2016, 11:31 AM
TK signs with the Chiefs

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2016/03/18/chiefs-sign-msu-discuss-thrower-play-linebacker/81966544/

PassInterference
03-18-2016, 11:34 AM
MSU putting a non-football athlete in the NFL is the most Mississippi State thing ever.

BrunswickDawg
03-18-2016, 11:42 AM
MSU putting a non-football athlete in the NFL is the most Mississippi State thing ever.
Yup

Dawg61
03-18-2016, 11:46 AM
Damn he just got paid it sounds like. How much the contract for? Watch this guy be a freak pass rusher.

Coach34
03-18-2016, 11:48 AM
He's got a lot to learn- probably ends up on the practice squad. But at least he has a shot now

msstate7
03-18-2016, 11:56 AM
He didn't have to go thru the draft first? Guess not

DancingRabbit
03-18-2016, 12:00 PM
TK discussing his training sessions (I'm imagining in an Ivan Drago voice):

"It was just a couple practices, but I felt comfortable with it. Tell me to run, I run. Tell me to knock the guy out, I knock the guy out."

confucius say
03-18-2016, 12:03 PM

"It was just a couple practices, but I felt comfortable with it. Tell me to run, I run. Tell me to knock the guy out, I knock the guy out."

That is Fantastic.

Dawg61
03-18-2016, 12:07 PM
He's got a lot to learn- probably ends up on the practice squad. But at least he has a shot now

The contract details he just signed should give us some insight on what the Chiefs have planned for him

Ifyouonlyknew
03-18-2016, 12:28 PM
The contract details he just signed should give us some insight on what the Chiefs have planned for him

How much guaranteed money is he getting because that's the real indication of how much they like him. I'll say it I don't think the guy ever plays a regular season game in the NFL.

Political Hack
03-18-2016, 12:34 PM
How much guaranteed money is he getting because that's the real indication of how much they like him. I'll say it I don't think the guy ever plays a regular season game in the NFL.

If he does it'll be a hell of an accomplishment.

BrunswickDawg
03-18-2016, 12:40 PM
He didn't have to go thru the draft first? Guess not

Since he did not play college ball, he was essentially a free agent.

jumbo
03-18-2016, 12:56 PM
Good for him, but I'll be surprised if he actually makes the team

starkvegasdawg
03-18-2016, 01:05 PM

I must break you.

Bully13
03-18-2016, 01:09 PM

Little butt ache for not discovering him yourself?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-18-2016, 01:11 PM
Little butt ache for not discovering him yourself?

Not at all just a little realism for not expecting a guy who's never played a down of football in his life to pick it up & become a professional. It's a nice story though.

Ralph
03-18-2016, 01:17 PM
They must believe something's there otherwise they would just pay a former college DE that needs less coaching.

Dawg61
03-18-2016, 01:17 PM
Good for him, but I'll be surprised if he actually makes the team

Are NFL teams in the habit of offering contracts to players they don't expect will make the team?

Bully13
03-18-2016, 01:18 PM
Not at all just a little realism for not expecting a guy who's never played a down of football in his life to pick it up & become a professional. It's a nice story though.

Professional evaluators wouldn't waste resources if they didn't expect him to have a shot. Admit it coach, you blew it on this one. LOL

Ifyouonlyknew
03-18-2016, 01:19 PM
It's a low risk high reward situation. Pay him a minimum contract with a minimum signing bonus. Get him in camp to see what he can actually do as a football player & not a combine guy. If it works out you've got a player for cheap & if it doesn't you've spent virtually nothing on the guy.

smootness
03-18-2016, 01:19 PM
They must believe something's there otherwise they would just pay a former college DE that needs less coaching.

Definitely. The guy's measurables are enough reason to take a chance on him.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-18-2016, 01:22 PM
Also just for the record they signed a DE from Nigeria last week who didn't play college football. So they look to be in the business of taking low risk out the box chances hoping something breaks through. Again not much risk so why not.

Dawg61
03-18-2016, 01:33 PM
Also just for the record they signed a DE from Nigeria last week who didn't play college football. So they look to be in the business of taking low risk out the box chances hoping something breaks through. Again not much risk so why not.

The NBA has 10 day contracts does the NFL have something similar? I am under the assumption the smallest or shortest contract an NFL team can offer is for one year which at league minimum is hardly pennies. Does every player that gets a camp invite also sign a contract? What's the league minimum a practice squad player makes?

PassInterference
03-18-2016, 01:36 PM
It's a low risk high reward situation. Pay him a minimum contract with a minimum signing bonus. Get him in camp to see what he can actually do as a football player & not a combine guy. If it works out you've got a player for cheap & if it doesn't you've spent virtually nothing on the guy.

Let the record show Tony Romo was a practice squad project. Think what you want of Romo, but he ended up a hell of a lot better than a practice squad dummy.

Coach34
03-18-2016, 01:39 PM
Are NFL teams in the habit of offering contracts to players they don't expect will make the team?

Yes. NFL teams start camp with around 80 players or so to get to a 53 man roster. Sometimes guys surprise them and get lucky. This guy has so much to learn- and if he does really well- he might make the practice squad to continue his development.

FA's get a basic amount for each day they remain in camp. He may not have even gotten any type of bonus money to sign. Just a contract to get to work.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-18-2016, 01:40 PM
The NBA has 10 day contracts does the NFL have something similar? I am under the assumption the smallest or shortest contract an NFL team can offer is for one year which at league minimum is hardly pennies. Does every player that gets a camp invite also sign a contract? What's the league minimum a practice squad player makes?

NFL contracts aren't guaranteed so just because you sign for a certain amount doesn't mean you will get that amount. That's why signing bonuses are so important with NFL contracts because that's almost the only guaranteed money you see. For example Fletcher Cox will probably sign a deal soon for $100 million dollars or more but the key # to watch for is how much guaranteed money he'll get. If he can get $50-60millon guaranteed he's done great.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Let the record show Tony Romo was a practice squad project. Think what you want of Romo, but he ended up a hell of a lot better than a practice squad dummy.

There are always practice squad success stories every year but Tony Romo wasn't a college tennis player who just decided hey let me see if I can be a NFL QB. He's played the position his entire life.

Dawg61
03-18-2016, 01:47 PM
There are always practice squad success stories every year but Tony Romo wasn't a college tennis player who just decided hey let me see if I can be a NFL QB. He's played the position his entire life.

TK isn't built like any tennis player I've ever seen

Dawg61
03-18-2016, 01:49 PM

Kurt Warner was stocking shelves at a grocery store two years before he won MVP too

Ifyouonlyknew
03-18-2016, 01:50 PM
TK isn't built like any tennis player I've ever seen

Neither is Tony Romo which wasn't my point. Romo wasn't just playing another sport & decided to try to be a NFL QB. Hey I'm pulling for the guy it's a great story I just think the odds are extremely long. Again being a freak athlete in shorts & t shirt is 1 thing, translating that against going up against some of the best most physical athletes in the world is another.

Dawg61
03-18-2016, 02:07 PM
Neither is Tony Romo which wasn't my point. Romo wasn't just playing another sport & decided to try to be a NFL QB. Hey I'm pulling for the guy it's a great story I just think the odds are extremely long. Again being a freak athlete in shorts & t shirt is 1 thing, translating that against going up against some of the best most physical athletes in the world is another.

I was making a joke. Defensive end/pass rushing LB is hardly equivalent to quarterback.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-18-2016, 02:20 PM
I was making a joke. Defensive end/pass rushing LB is hardly equivalent to quarterback.

Gotcha

IMissJack
03-18-2016, 02:40 PM
Please let the Chiefs be on " Hard Knocks".

Dawg61
03-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Please let the Chiefs be on " Hard Knocks".

Haha YES!!