PDA

View Full Version : Midweek Meltdown baseball thoughts

Todd4State
03-17-2016, 04:18 PM
Everyone has the absolute right to be pissed about our performance Tuesday and Weds. I think the bottom line on it is this: Our coaches don't take the midweek games very seriously. The reason I say that is because we treat them like glorified scrimmages trying to get everyone in the game. Now we did the same thing last week and it worked out OK. Of course, usually when you play with fire you get burned. And that's what happened this week. Which is stupid on so many levels because all we've done is kill momentum for our team and our program.

The WORST thing I have consistently seen with this team this year has been the pitching staff management. About half of our losses are due to that alone- and the tie to Oklahoma as well. They are grossly overestimating what Breaux and Small can do right now- and they aren't getting them out of there quickly enough. Which is resulting in us having a bases loaded situation with no one out. Then that gets compounded when we bring in a struggling Vance Tatum who completely blows the game- again playing with fire and getting burned. So, we blow that game against EKU and what I suspect happened is the hitters decided to try to do too much the next night to "make up for the loss" and we got away from our fundamentals- which is the exact same thing that happened after we lost to FAU in game two of that series where we got shut out.

So what I want to see going forward is us decide on a consistent upper classman midweek starter- either Tatum (Yes- a change of scenery might do him some good) or Houston. ESPECIALLY against Memphis, USM, and Ole Miss. We also need to NOT USE Breaux or Small for more than one inning at a time right now. Once they consistently perform well in that one inning scenario THEN maybe we start to stretch them out. But right now by asking them to do too much we are going to run the risk of killing their confidence. If he wants to do the glorified scrimmage thing against SWAC teams- that's fine. But against anyone else it's stupid and quite frankly disrespectful to the other opponent. I'm actually kind of glad Cohen got his ass kicked doing it. Cohen is like the polar opposite of Dan- he plays EVERYONE and gives EVERYONE a chance to play no matter what. He needs to understand that freshmen aren't going to be ready to be Caleb Reed/Lindgren at this point in their career and err on the side of caution and be more conservative with them.

That said some pitchers actually did well- and that's being overlooked right now understandably so. I know Breaux and Small have higher ceilings- but Pilkington and Keegan James have been better this year. Maybe they should be given more of an opportunity. Reid Humphreys has pitched well lately- well enough that I might consider making him the closer. His only bad outing was again- when we overextended him against Oklahoma. I might be wrong on this, but I do think that Tatum will figure it out before long. He has been very good before against some good teams- and it's just a matter of him getting the ball down a little bit. It would also help if we don't put him in a bases loaded no one out situation as well.

As far as our hitting goes- again if we stay with our line drive approach we hit pretty well usually. When we don't we strike out too much. We need to stay within ourselves and have quality at bats and then the hits, doubles, and even home runs follow. There is no need for everyone to try to be a superhero and try to win the game themselves.

Now, I'll say something that I will get a lot of flak for. But I actually think that we are better as an offense when Kruger hits second. That's not saying that Cody Brown shouldn't play, start or that he can't hit second. I just think we are better with Kruger hitting second because he can't hit sliders and with Robson getting on a lot it's going to cause him to see more fastballs. When Kruger was on fire he was hitting second. And last night he went 2 for 4 hitting second. Plus, Cody Brown is still going to do Cody Brown things even if he hits lower in the order. He'll just do them with more runners on base to drive in.

On that note, I think we need to rest LA right now and then start Gridley and Stovall in the MIF when Stovall isn't catching. I love LA and he's going to be a good player- but he just needs to rest up a little bit.

I do feel bad for Humphreys having his SECOND home run stolen this season. That was a huge play last night that could have turned the game around. But it didn't happen.

The bad news is that thanks to Cohen we have killed our momentum going into Vanderbilt. I don't have to tell anyone how good they are. I'm sure they will shut our offense down with their badass pitchers and people that like to bitch will get to do all they want this weekend about that. Oh and they have a an OF that is also a probable first round pick to kick our pitchers ass in Reynolds. Jaren Kendall is really good as well and then they have a guy named Alonzo Jones that's a freshman that is tearing it up as well. They have a lot of speed and they have a ridiculous field turf that only makes them faster. I'll be honest- I'll be happy as a clam if we win one. Being swept wouldn't surprise me at all. I might even be happy if we just manage the pitching staff better.

Anyway- bitch on.

Bucky Dog
03-17-2016, 04:49 PM
Todd, I agree on our hitters and to me it seemed like in the latter three innings or so in the last two games our guys were not very selective at the plate, letting fast balls down the gut go by, then wildly overswing at pitches out of the zone. They were pressing to make too much happen as you say. I think at times we have too many guess hitters, but we surely had been good mistake hitters lately.

And you are right on with our pitcher management so far and our approach to mid week games. They all matter just as much, but even more when we lose to such bad teams!

CadaverDawg
03-17-2016, 05:59 PM
Biggest issue with what you're saying, is that it will require our coach to change his ways, thus admitting he's wrong....not gonna happen.

I agree with you though. Too bad this is just the way it will be with John.

engie
03-17-2016, 06:20 PM
He lost the team last year. That kind of cute cluster could lose it again if he doesn't address it correctly in the locker room. He loses this team -- we are coach hunting -- and no member of our fanbase will be mad about it.

That said, as I said on SPS, I expect him to take two in Nashville and continue his OM football coach-type roller coaster ride.

msstate7
03-17-2016, 06:28 PM
He lost the team last year. That kind of cute cluster could lose it again if he doesn't address it correctly in the locker room. He loses this team -- we are coach hunting -- and no member of our fanbase will be mad about it.

That said, as I said on SPS, I expect him to take two in Nashville and continue his OM football coach-type roller coaster ride.

Off topic, but let's say you're correct this weekend... Do 2 really good road wins help rpi more than the 2 really bad home losses hurt rpi? Just curious how good wins and bad losses are weighted

Political Hack
03-17-2016, 06:39 PM
Off topic, but let's say you're correct this weekend... Do 2 really good road wins help rpi more than the 2 really bad home losses hurt rpi? Just curious how good wins and bad losses are weighted

Not sure about RPI but beating great teams and losing to crap ones doesn't instill any confidence in me about this team. We could host a regional and still get put out by the 4 seed. We've got to find some consistency.

Todd, I don't have a problem with Kruger batting 2nd, but Robson and Cody in front of Kruger is about as dangerous as you can be. If Kruger can man the 3-hole, that's the best 1, 2, 3 punch we've had since Cohen arrived.

Blackout
03-17-2016, 06:50 PM
I actually think that we are better as an offense when Kruger hits second.

http://popandpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/483208412-real-estate-tycoon-donald-trump-flashes-the-thumbs-up.jpg.CROP_.promo-xlarge2-200x200.jpg

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-17-2016, 06:57 PM
That said, as I said on SPS, I expect him to take two in Nashville.

We couldn't win two there if we played them all week.

CadaverDawg
03-17-2016, 07:03 PM

I agree

maroonmania
03-17-2016, 07:34 PM

That's my thinking which made it all the more imperative to have won AT LEAST one during this midweek and really needed both. An 0-5 week would be a total killer and even a 1-4 week is pretty brutal. We do not play well in Nashville with that crap rubber field they have and I will be extremely surprised if we win more than one game there this weekend. I actually think the odds are greater we get swept than us winning 2.

Coach34
03-17-2016, 07:51 PM
rumor going around Hudson may not be able to go tomorrow

msstate7
03-17-2016, 07:53 PM
rumor going around Hudson may not be able to go tomorrow

Wow... What's the problem?

Coach34
03-17-2016, 08:00 PM
been sore all week

msstate7
03-17-2016, 08:12 PM
been sore all week

I'll be pissed if we lose Hudson for a start or starts. Hudson was on his 4th start of the year and threw 120 pitches

Coach34
03-17-2016, 08:27 PM
I'll be pissed if we lose Hudson for a start or starts. Hudson was on his 4th start of the year and threw 120 pitches

so what? 120 pitches is nothing. He's been throwing since January

Bdawg
03-17-2016, 08:35 PM
I was hoping his high pitch counts early in the year wouldn't bite us late in the year. Sounds like it's already starting to get to him. Maybe we won't lose him for the weekend

msstate7
03-17-2016, 08:43 PM
so what? 120 pitches is nothing. He's been throwing since January

Well he's obviously been throwing too much or he's hurt if he's feeling pain before his 5th start

msstate7
03-17-2016, 09:02 PM
Looking back at last year, hudson's largest pitch total in a game was 55... The vast majority were 20 or less. This year, he's thrown 94, 102, 105, and 120. I'm not sure how much he was stretched out in fall ball and preseason scrimmages, but I doubt those pitches were as strenuous as these 4 starts have been... Every game he's pitched in this year has been close (3 runs is biggest separation).

Coach34
03-17-2016, 09:10 PM
Looking back at last year, hudson's largest pitch total in a game was 55... The vast majority were 20 or less. This year, he's thrown 94, 102, 105, and 120. I'm not sure how much he was stretched out in fall ball and preseason scrimmages, but I doubt those pitches were as strenuous as these 4 starts have been... Every game he's pitched in this year has been close (3 runs is biggest separation).

You realize he was throwing 60 and 80 pitch bullpens before the season started dont you? 120 pitches is nothing for a guy throwing 2 1/2 months. My 1st thought is he has a Daddy or handler telling him to skip a start to rest and avoid Vandy to help protect his draft status

msstate7
03-17-2016, 09:19 PM
You realize he was throwing 60 and 80 pitch bullpens before the season started dont you? 120 pitches is nothing for a guy throwing 2 1/2 months. My 1st thought is he has a Daddy or handler telling him to skip a start to rest and avoid Vandy to help protect his draft status

If that's the case, we really do have serious problems. Any pitcher with a set between his legs should be begging to take the mound this weekend. There will be a ton of mlb scouts there.

Blackout
03-17-2016, 09:22 PM
Simplest explanation is probably the best one. Agree this is tied to his usage so far

I seen it dawg
03-17-2016, 09:55 PM
"Number 1 thing in sports is you have to compete." -Charkes Barkley.

No truer words spoken.

Todd4State
03-17-2016, 09:56 PM
Biggest issue with what you're saying, is that it will require our coach to change his ways, thus admitting he's wrong....not gonna happen.

I don't know about that because of Cohen's comments in the EKU postgame interview plus how we handled the pitching staff the next day against Oral Roberts. Cohen basically mentioned that he thought we were asking the freshmen to do too much. Padgett walked a guy lead off and got pulled. We lost to Oral Roberts- but I can live with any pitching staff allowing three runs in a game.

Had those two things not occurred, I would agree with you.

Todd4State
03-17-2016, 10:01 PM

Hudson started several games all summer in the Cape. But part of that is on Butch. We should have started Hudson some for this very reason.

I have another theory knowing Cohen. Especially if the rumor is "soreness". He might be trying to get a better match up on Sunday to try to increase our chances of not getting swept. Vandy's Friday night guy is the reigning pitcher of the week. He might be trying to pull a Bobby Cox on Corbin and starting a different guy than what is listed which will make scouting us and making out a line up a little more difficult.

Assuming this is true. Which we won't know until this weekend.

Todd4State
03-17-2016, 10:02 PM
"Number 1 thing in sports is you have to compete." -Charkes Barkley.

No truer words spoken.

Damn right. I don't care if it's Tougaloo.

Todd4State
03-17-2016, 10:07 PM
Not sure about RPI but beating great teams and losing to crap ones doesn't instill any confidence in me about this team. We could host a regional and still get put out by the 4 seed. We've got to find some consistency.

Todd, I don't have a problem with Kruger batting 2nd, but Robson and Cody in front of Kruger is about as dangerous as you can be. If Kruger can man the 3-hole, that's the best 1, 2, 3 punch we've had since Cohen arrived.

Cody can hit second and do a good job. I have no question about that. I just think we are better as a team with Kruger hitting second based on what I've seen so far. I'm totally fine with Rooker, Collins, Humphreys/Cody, and Lowe hitting 3-6 behind those two in whatever fashion.

I'm not worried about a regional at this point in time- especially since I have no doubt that Cohen isn't going to toss freshmen out there based on our strategy in postseasons past.

Todd4State
03-17-2016, 10:12 PM

I think this team is tougher mentally and they are definitely more talented. If we take two from Vandy on the road I'll be shocked. Especially if Hudson doesn't pitch. Unless Sexton and Brown are Dr. Jekyll as opposed to Mr. Hyde.

Coach34
03-17-2016, 10:21 PM
Cody can hit second and do a good job. I have no question about that. I just think we are better as a team with Kruger hitting second based on what I've seen so far..

Except we have been much more productive with Brown or someone else hitting 2nd than Kruger- and its not close. Runs scored with Kruger hitting 2nd is overinflated by Alcorn and SD state

Blackout
03-17-2016, 10:28 PM
Except we have been much more productive with Brown or someone else hitting 2nd than Kruger- and its not close. Runs scored with Kruger hitting 2nd is overinflated by Alcorn and SD state

What's the r-squared correlation here? Not shit.

Todd4State
03-17-2016, 10:38 PM

That may be true- but I think about it this way. Cody is going to be productive just about anywhere we hit him. I don't know that I can say the same about Kruger. I think he is way more productive as a number two hitter because based on what I've seen he can't hit sliders. I think it's just a matter of time before the other hitters get hot again- and when that happens we will be even better because Kruger will be more productive along with them.

So, my guess/hope is that we will be even better offensively in the long run with Kruger hitting second. Not to mention I don't mind Cody being up there with runners on base at all. He's a tough out- and that's not what a pitcher wants to face in a jam. Especially since he is one of our most clutch guys.

Coach34
03-17-2016, 10:39 PM
What's the r-squared correlation here? Not shit.

Your problem is that you are too stats oriented. Equating MLB bunt stats to NCAA doesnt add up.

1) MLB guys play baseball for a living- college guys arent as steady
2) the majority of SAC bunts in MLB are done by pitchers that jog to 1st base- totally different in the college game
3) Pro pitchers vs college pitchers

There are so many differences- your stats arent legit. Do we bunt too much? Yes. Is it as bad as you say? No

Our offense is much better with Kruger out of the 2-hole

Coach34
03-17-2016, 10:42 PM
That may be true- but I think about it this way. Cody is going to be productive just about anywhere we hit him. I don't know that I can say the same about Kruger. I think he is way more productive as a number two hitter because based on what I've seen he can't hit sliders. I think it's just a matter of time before the other hitters get hot again- and when that happens we will be even better because Kruger will be more productive along with them.

So, my guess/hope is that we will be even better offensively in the long run with Kruger hitting second. Not to mention I don't mind Cody being up there with runners on base at all. He's a tough out- and that's not what a pitcher wants to face in a jam. Especially since he is one of our most clutch guys.

But it doesnt matter wtf Kruger hits if our offense is much better with him hitting 3rd. What he hits is irrelevant if we are scoring 8 runs per game. Kruger hit .500 vs OR and we scored ONE RUN

Political Hack
03-17-2016, 10:42 PM
I think this team is tougher mentally and they are definitely more talented. If we take two from Vandy on the road I'll be shocked. Especially if Hudson doesn't pitch. Unless Sexton and Brown are Dr. Jekyll as opposed to Mr. Hyde.

They're tough mentally but they're all pretty pissed right now. Understandable, but this constant churn isn't going to let anyone get into a rhythm. It's every year too. We'd better lean on our studs come conference play.

Todd4State
03-17-2016, 10:56 PM
They're tough mentally but they're all pretty pissed right now. Understandable, but this constant churn isn't going to let anyone get into a rhythm. It's every year too. We'd better lean on our studs come conference play.

Well that goes back to my original point of just simply handle the pitching staff better and don't turn it into freshman night. That happens, we're not talking about any of this right now.

Political Hack
03-17-2016, 10:59 PM
Well that goes back to my original point of just simply handle the pitching staff better and don't turn it into freshman night. That happens, we're not talking about any of this right now.

Yep. The last midweek before conference too. To break down like that at that time is bad. Just not a good mojo going into conference play. I hope things don't go to hell in a hand basket this weekend, but it could. Pivotal point in the season.

IMissJack
03-18-2016, 02:46 PM

If Cohen wants to keep this up, he will be in the unemployment line. No way the stadium moves forward money wise until we are consistently better.

engie
03-21-2016, 05:54 PM

nm.

Didn't get to watch this weekend, but at least we got two. About a half game off of where we need to be right now.

Todd4State
03-21-2016, 07:13 PM
nm.

Didn't get to watch this weekend, but at least we got two. About a half game off of where we need to be right now.

I was thinking about your prediction when we won on Saturday. I wish you were wrong though- a sweep would have been sweet.