PDA

View Full Version : Calm down folks. We'll turn out fine.

Mjoelner34
03-17-2016, 09:24 AM
Somebody will make a PowerPoint about beards or a stick and that'll get this thing turned around.**

Tbonewannabe
03-17-2016, 09:43 AM
Is the stick you are referring to the one up Cohen's ass? We play so damn tight most of the time.

Coach34
03-17-2016, 09:46 AM
Old coach gave me some wise advice early in my coaching career:

"You can be 'The Asshole' as long as you are winning. But if you ever stop winning, get ready- they gonna run that Asshole out of town quick"

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2016, 10:22 AM

"You can be 'The Asshole' as long as you are winning. But if you ever stop winning, get ready- they gonna run that Asshole out of town quick"

That's a really good quote.

All you ever hear is about how smart Cohen is, but being smart has very little to do with building a championship caliber program or company. If that were the case, then Harvard & Yale grads would be the head coaches of every major sports teams.

Building a championship caliber program & company is about building a culture of excellence, teamwork, leadership. Those three things can be enhanced by smart people but it takes more than being smart to build those things.

confucius say
03-17-2016, 10:27 AM

Personally, I think he has gotten too soft

ShotgunDawg
03-17-2016, 10:28 AM
Personally, I think he has gotten too soft

I'm not sure. I think he's turned into the Charlie Wiess of college football

MSUDawg99
03-17-2016, 10:32 AM
That's a really good quote.

All you ever hear is about how smart Cohen is, but being smart has very little to do with building a championship caliber program or company. If that were the case, then Harvard & Yale grads would be the head coaches of every major sports teams.

Building a championship caliber program & company is about building a culture of excellence, teamwork, leadership. Those three things can be enhanced by smart people but it takes more than being smart to build those things.

Hell if all you had to do was be smart then Rick Ray would be a good coach. He's very smart mathematician. Lousy coach though.

MSUDawg99
03-17-2016, 10:33 AM

Saban & Bama fans agree with this

confucius say
03-17-2016, 10:34 AM
I'm not sure. I think he's turned into the Charlie Wiess of college football

Maybe. But he doesn't display the same fire he used to, nor does his team. Maybe that's part of maturing as a coach and he is keeping that stuff in more now, but it appears he has mellowed. He also seems to over analyze things.

Blackout
03-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Cohen trying to prove HIS way ain't the problem.

Bunting = Dak up the middle = sending kids home for Thanksgiving = Bend but don't break = Perkins up the middle

starkvegasdawg
03-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Cohen in the dugout:

http://www.claitors.com/cfrupload/bls/www.bls.gov/ooh/images/15612.jpg

Political Hack
03-17-2016, 10:57 AM
When every kid a coach puts on the mound gives up run after run after run, there's not a lot they can do. It's a helpless feeling and there's no answer to it. The only thing he could adjust right now is leaving our starters in longer, but you'll see their ERA drop if he starts doing that. He has a choice to make: 1) ride the starters and be a decent team or 2) push the bullpen to get better and have a shot at being an excellent team.

OdaMaeBrown
03-17-2016, 10:57 AM

nm

tcdog70
03-17-2016, 11:03 AM
When every kid a coach puts on the mound gives up run after run after run, there's not a lot they can do. It's a helpless feeling and there's no answer to it. The only thing he could adjust right now is leaving our starters in longer, but you'll see their ERA drop if he starts doing that. He has a choice to make: 1) ride the starters and be a decent team or 2) push the bullpen to get better and have a shot at being an excellent team.

if He had brought HUMP in when were still up 2--we would have beaten E. KY. And the fact that He didn't play Brown last night against right handed pitching was a very puzzling .

GTHOM
03-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Maybe. But he doesn't display the same fire he used to, nor does his team. Maybe that's part of maturing as a coach and he is keeping that stuff in more now, but it appears he has mellowed. He also seems to over analyze things.

Hmmmm what other coach does this remind you of??????

GTHOM
03-17-2016, 11:12 AM

Bunting = Dak up the middle = sending kids home for Thanksgiving = Bend but don't break = Perkins up the middle

This guy gets it

msstate7
03-17-2016, 11:13 AM
I'm certainly no Cohen apologist, but we should beat the last 2 teams with any combination of players we have imo. The fact we have to second guess coach decisions vs eastern Kentucky and oral Roberts is an indictment vs our players

Political Hack
03-17-2016, 11:16 AM
I'm certainly no Cohen apologist, but we should beat the last 2 teams with any combination of players we have imo. The fact we have to second guess coach decisions vs eastern Kentucky and oral Roberts is an indictment vs our players

That's sort of what I was going for. There's a lot that Cohen does that makes me scratch my head, but our C team should rock mid-week games. If they can't beat Oral Roberts then how the hell are they going to beat SEC teams in a year or two?

Coach34
03-17-2016, 11:29 AM
Is that from Dan Mullen?

no- Mike Moore...now Superintendent of Calhoun County Schools

BHildreth3
03-17-2016, 11:43 AM
What is still ridiculous is that we're still not the best team in this state and it's Cohen Year number what? 7, 8? Pitiful.

dawgday166
03-17-2016, 11:46 AM

Good post.

I seen it dawg
03-17-2016, 11:54 AM

Yep. The problem right now ain't whether we are bunting or not. This is it.

MSUDawg99
03-17-2016, 11:55 AM
When you have coaches so arrogant & bull headed that they care more about themselves being right than the good of the team & winning that's a problem, yes?

JoseBrown
03-17-2016, 12:04 PM
But, but, but he had a team go further than any other MState team.... No, seriously, I'm right there with you, as is a kinfolk of mine that also knows him pretty well...

And for Mr sac bunt early in games, he actually had a perfect opportunity last night to sac bunt down 2-1 in the 6th. Instead, we hit into double play, next guy up doubles...go figure.

Blackout
03-17-2016, 12:09 PM
he actually had a perfect opportunity last night to sac bunt down 2-1 in the 6th. Instead, we hit into double play, next guy up doubles...go figure.

If you think that's a good time to bunt you are no better than Cohen

JoseBrown
03-17-2016, 12:12 PM
Actually, that's baseball dumass. Low scoring, close game, runs at a premium, second half of game. Put that guy on second, next guy doubled, game tied. New game with 3 innings to go. You don't give up outs in the 2nd inning tho.

Maroonthirteen
03-17-2016, 12:16 PM
Yep. The problem right now ain't whether we are bunting or not. This is it.

Yeah, fans can analyze the team forever. But baseball is simpler than any sport....the guy on the mound vs the guy in the batters box.

We don't have enough dominant pitchers or hitters. As a whole we arent very good. I don't care what the recruiting rankings said.

Blackout
03-17-2016, 12:19 PM
Actually, that's baseball dumass. Low scoring, close game, runs at a premium, second half of game. Put that guy on second, next guy doubled, game tied. New game with 3 innings to go. You don't give up outs in the 2nd inning tho.

You can't play for 1 when losing

JoseBrown
03-17-2016, 12:29 PM
You only lose when they score one or more than you. You can't lose a tie. If you can move the tie run into scoring position late in the game with one out, you do it, especially in a low scoring game. And that gives you a chance to win. Unlike Cohen's self-fabricated percentages, that's baseball. The way the game is played by everyone not named Cohen.

If he'd have done it game would have been tied with one out, runner at second, in the bottom of 6 with good chance to knock him in if not more. Instead of 2 out, runner at 2nd, behind 2-1 in bottom 6. Then if you wanna win you pitch a weekend pitcher, not a new freshman every inning.

OSCAR
03-17-2016, 12:32 PM

Rex Ryan from year 2 in New York says hello!

JoseBrown
03-17-2016, 12:35 PM
You can't play for 1 when losing

Bottom line before I gotta go. One reason I don't like Cohen is because of his bunting. And I like bunting when done right. His way of using or not using the sac bunt goes directly against the percentages of baseball. He flat out gives up outs when he shouldn't via the sac bunt. But when it is applicable to give up an out via the sac bunt by baseball rules he doesn't do it.

That's all for now, I gotta go...