PDA

View Full Version : Something happened.....

MadDawg
03-17-2016, 08:52 AM
over the last two games.

We had just come off a 3-game sweep of #10 Oregon and were pretty full of ourselves.

We go into the game Tuesday night and are absolutely stroking the ball. I mean it seems like if we don't constrain ourselves, we might score 20 and totally embarrass our hapless opponent - directional Kentucky.

So both the players and the coaches took our collective foot off the gas. And even that's not descriptive enough. We took our foot off the gas, bumped the gear shifter into neutral, took hold of the wheel with our knee, lit up a no-filter camel with our left hand and got a tall boy in the right.

We went from an aggressive, hungry team to a passive, scared shitless team.

Can we get the other team back?

MSUDawg99
03-17-2016, 08:53 AM
over the last two games.

We had just come off a 3-game sweep of #10 Oregon and were pretty full of ourselves.

We go into the game Tuesday night and are absolutely stroking the ball. I mean it seems like if we don't constrain ourselves, we might score 20 and totally embarrass our hapless opponent - directional Kentucky.

So both the players and the coaches took our collective foot off the gas. And even that's not descriptive enough. We took our foot off the gas, bumped the gear shifter into neutral, took hold of the wheel with our knee, lit up a no-filter camel with our left hand and got a tall boy in the right.

No

Indndawg
03-17-2016, 08:53 AM
UAPB and SD

Cohen's teams are friggin head cases.

MSUDawg99
03-17-2016, 08:57 AM
UAPB and SD

Cohen's teams are friggin head cases.

Cohen's the ****ing headcase. He has them scared shitless. He's not a players coach. Never any encouraging going on when job well done. Just nose in the paper studying stats & figuring out how he can tamper with a good thing. I hate him. He pisses me off so bad. I'm done with Cohen's baseball.

Blackout
03-17-2016, 09:15 AM
Just nose in the paper studying stats .

And not even knowing how to apply them.

dawggone
03-17-2016, 10:32 AM
Cohen's the ****ing headcase. He has them scared shitless. He's not a players coach. Never any encouraging going on when job well done. Just nose in the paper studying stats & figuring out how he can tamper with a good thing. I hate him. He pisses me off so bad. I'm done with Cohen's baseball.

This is spot on, Cohen has players going to the plate white knuckled thinking if they don't get a hit every time then their out of the lineup. No hitter can do that, step out of the way coach and let the players play.

War Machine Dawg
03-17-2016, 11:19 AM
Yeah, it's called #Cohening. Our #Meddler can't get out of his own way. Same shit, different year.

MSUDawg99
03-17-2016, 11:44 AM
And another stark/telling sign is when your players excel in summer league ball only to start to fall to shit again when season starts. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the problem! Damn! The only common denominator in all of it is JOHN FREAKING COHEN!!!!

OSCAR
03-17-2016, 12:20 PM
I do not know a lot about baseball nationwide but isn't Oregon bad at baseball? Seems I heard on a radio or podcast before we played them that the weren't very good. Maybe I dreamed it.

OSCAR
03-17-2016, 12:28 PM
Ok, did some research. Last year they were worse than .500 against quality opponents and great against weak non conference foes. So, maybe looking at their total body of work from last year and the wins over weak nonconference opponents last and this year gave us an inflated sense of worth after beating Oregon.

All that being said. I expect us to improve all year so I am going to wait to panic until nearer to the mid point of conference play.

HancockCountyDog
03-17-2016, 01:16 PM
over the last two games.

Take a deep breath. Lets take 2 of 3 this weekend and go from there.

Dawgface
03-17-2016, 01:22 PM

This pretty much sums it up for me.

MSUDawg99
03-17-2016, 01:41 PM
Ok, did some research. Last year they were worse than .500 against quality opponents and great against weak non conference foes. So, maybe looking at their total body of work from last year and the wins over weak nonconference opponents last and this year gave us an inflated sense of worth after beating Oregon.

All that being said. I expect us to improve all year so I am going to wait to panic until nearer to the mid point of conference play.

They were ranked #10 coming into our series. I'd agree that's overrated but their pitching was supposed to be stellar. They're hitting, not so much. From listening to Joel Coleman's podcast with an interview from someone from the Oregonian he said they've never been able to croot many big hitters but did agree that they're pitching was really good. So who knows.

bulldogcountry1
03-17-2016, 01:59 PM
This is spot on, Cohen has players going to the plate white knuckled thinking if they don't get a hit every time then their out of the lineup. No hitter can do that, step out of the way coach and let the players play.

That's the thing. A player could go 5 for 5 against a RHP. What are the chances that they will be in the same spot the next day against a LHP? There's maybe 3 guys on the whole roster who wouldn't get moved down or benched the next game.

BossDawg
03-17-2016, 02:33 PM

Not to mention as much as Cohen tinkers with the lineup they don't know what the hell to expect from game to game.

maroonmania
03-17-2016, 02:55 PM
All I know is that I don't ever remember my perspective on a baseball season changing so dramatically over an 12 inning period. That is from the 8th inning of the EKU game (where we had a 6 run lead) to the end of the game last night. I was really getting pumped about this team and this season and now I totally dread this weekend's series even happening. I'm starting to agree that even though Cohen and staff recruit their tails off and we have much more talent than we ever had under Polk 2, just not sure that he will ever be able to put a consistent winner on the field under him.

Brando
03-17-2016, 07:00 PM
The first time Cohen removed the whole damn roster, I said to my wife as we were streaming them game that he will do that one game and it will come back to bit us in the ass. Well guess what, IT DID!!! He needs to get his head out of his ass and play damn baseball. Leave the kids alone! Let them play. If we score 20 damn runs with a certain line up, WHY CHANGE IT ALL AROUND?? I mean damn dude!! Our bullpen will be fine, our starting pitchers are already doing well. We WERE tearing the baseball up.. If we could get everyone comfortable, and get Cohen to leave them alone and let them relax, we will be fine. Everyone looses a game or 2 they shouldn't. Hell, LSU lost to Ball State the other night.

CadaverDawg
03-17-2016, 07:14 PM
All I know is that I don't ever remember my perspective on a baseball season changing so dramatically over an 12 inning period. That is from the 8th inning of the EKU game (where we had a 6 run lead) to the end of the game last night. I was really getting pumped about this team and this season and now I totally dread this weekend's series even happening. I'm starting to agree that even though Cohen and staff recruit their tails off and we have much more talent than we ever had under Polk 2, just not sure that he will ever be able to put a consistent winner on the field under him.

I'm right there with you. Went from fired up and not wanting to miss a pitch, to wanting the coaching search to begin. I can accept a loss, but I can't stand watching a team continuously play below their potential bc the coach won't quit ****ing with everything & let them play.