PDA

View Full Version : Former Brave Adam LaRoche retiring because ChiSox told him to quit bringing his son

starkvegasdawg
03-17-2016, 06:44 AM
into the clubhouse everyday. The Sox being colossal pricks or Adam taking bring your son to work day just a little too far? To note, the team didn't say never bring him into the clubhouse...just dial it back to under 50% of game days. I have to say I might have to side with the team on this one. I know baseball is a different type of job that everybody else has but I'm not sure a MLB clubhouse is where I would want my son hanging out everyday. I would imagine he would pick up on some inappropriate material for a 14 year old.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/03/17/mlb-player-retires-because-team-says-cant-bring-son-to-clubhouse.html

Dawg61
03-17-2016, 06:52 AM
White Sox definitely in the right here. His son had his own locker and was getting treatment like he was the 26th player. They told him to dial it back so that they won't have a double standard when they have to tell the next guy the same thing. LaRoche gave up $13 million by taking this stance. I doubt they are too pissed secretively. His production is way down. They can use his vacated DH spot for a better hitter now and have $13 mill to spend on someone else. They haven't sent in his papers yet though so he could wise up and stop being butthurt.

Political Hack
03-17-2016, 08:00 AM
Both are right.

RocketDawg
03-17-2016, 08:05 AM
Give some folks an inch and they take a mile. I remember at work (office environment) everybody used to dress decently ... tie, jacket, etc. Then they instituted Casual Friday ... meant to be "business casual" ... golf shirt maybe, slacks, etc. Then some started wearing jeans. Then an occasional tee shirt and jeans. And then a few started looking like they had just mucked out a stall before coming to work, and every day became Casual Friday. People will take advantage of a situation. The Sox are correct in this situation ... the kid would have to be distracting.

Johnson85
03-17-2016, 09:13 AM
Both are right.

Yeah, seems like both are being pretty reasonable (assuming LaRoche is financially set). Thirteen million is a lot of money to pass on, but if you're already rich enough, I can understand preferring to spend time with your son. I think I'd take the thirteen million and spend more time with my son during the off season, but kudos to him for deciding on what's important to him.

And I can understand that it would be a potential headache for the white sox to haev a 14 year old kid there everyday. I can see where they could accommodate him unlike a normal office environment, but still doesn't seem like the greatest idea, especially if you end up with four or five players doing that.

MafiaDawg
03-17-2016, 10:31 AM
What about the 20 year old not making 13 million dollars trying to do everything he can not to get sent down to AAA right now. I doubt he wants any type of distraction from a kid playing around the clubhouse EVERY day. People these days just can't seem to abide by social norms. It's incredible really.

MetEdDawg
03-17-2016, 11:29 AM
Both are right.

This and only this. White Sox are right because it's a job and it's very possible the every day presence of his son could have been a factor that led to his decline in productivity. It's a job and he does need to treat it like a job, so their request is not unreasonable.

For LaRoche, he's on the back end of his career and has most likely missed a very good portion of his son's life and activities, so him having his son around probably helps offset him missing that. At this point in his career, he's probably trying to find a balance of both. If it's not worth it at this point for him to significantly decrease the amount of time he sees his son, then why not walk away if he feels that's the right choice for him? He's made millions, so if his finances are in order, why not quit? His son is 14, so LaRoche only has a few more years before his son leaves the house. If he has the stones to walk away, spend the time with him now, and not regret it, more power to him.

We all think of these guys as baseball players first because they make so much money, but a lot of us don't get how much fathers miss what their kids do when they play or coach sports. Hell, I coach 9th grade baseball here in Alabama and other than the 30 minutes I see my kid in the morning, I don't get to see my daughter at all during the week. She's in bed by the time I get home and it sucks. And that's just coaching 9th grade for 3-4 months out of the year. These guys do it 9-10 months out of the year for a lot longer each day with a lot more energy expended.

If a dad wants to quit something because he wants to be a more visible father figure, good for him. Anyone else that says differently just doesn't understand because they've probably never coached or played a sport while having a kid at home.

Coach34
03-17-2016, 11:56 AM
What if all 25 guys brought their child in there everyday? It would be chaos. LaRoche should understand this and realize a couple of days per week is more than generous

Jack Lambert
03-17-2016, 12:01 PM
It use to bug the hell out of me seeing Stands kids sitting with the team on the bench.

Original48
03-17-2016, 12:27 PM
What if all 25 guys brought their child in there everyday? It would be chaos. LaRoche should understand this and realize a couple of days per week is more than generous
This. It's so stupid. I even think a couple of days a week is too much. Bye bye Adam. By the way I'm guessing his kid is home schooled or something? Why is he not spending time with other kids his age? I think LaRoche is doing more harm to his kid than good.

Political Hack
03-17-2016, 01:25 PM
This. It's so stupid. I even think a couple of days a week is too much. Bye bye Adam. By the way I'm guessing his kid is home schooled or something? Why is he not spending time with other kids his age? I think LaRoche is doing more harm to his kid than good.

A 14 year old kid enjoying hanging out with his dad is a good thing.

Original48
03-17-2016, 01:48 PM
No doubt. But not everyday at his workplace

MafiaDawg
03-17-2016, 02:11 PM

Well now they can hang out 24/7 while not bothering other people trying to do their jobs. The kid is apparantely homeschooled but he must not do much of that if he's at the ballpark every day. It's good for kids to get an education and socialize with other kids some too.

Johnson85
03-17-2016, 02:26 PM

Is there any indication he doesn't understand this? He's not filing a grievance with the players union, he's retiring, and foregoing his salary. Maybe the timing could be better for the White Sox? But otherwise, he's made over $70M over his career, he had a shitty year last year, and now he finds out he's not going to be able to spend as much time with his son. It seems perfectly reasonable to me for him to understand that bringing your kid to work even one day a week is a generous perk, but to still decide that in light of his recent performance and the fact that he and his kids are set for life, he'd rather retire than grind out another season.

Dawg61
03-17-2016, 02:58 PM
Was he expecting his son would be able to fly with the team for every road game too? I really don't understand LaRoche's stance here. Didn't want to hurt his son's feelings? You have your son surrounded by 25 alpha males everyday and are letting him learn everything about MLB baseball yet you choose to protect him from the business side of it? This is weak sauce. LaRoche is in the wrong here. He ditched his team two weeks before opening night.

notsofarawaydawg
03-17-2016, 03:14 PM
Was he expecting his son would be able to fly with the team for every road game too? I really don't understand LaRoche's stance here. Didn't want to hurt his son's feelings? You have your son surrounded by 25 alpha males everyday and are letting him learn everything about MLB baseball yet you choose to protect him from the business side of it? This is weak sauce. LaRoche is in the wrong here. He ditched his team two weeks before opening night.

We provided daycare for your favorite "adopted son" Renardo every day he was enrolled at Mississippi State. What's good for you is good for everyone else too. At least LaRoche's son wasn't trying to fight everyone in the dugout.

mic
03-17-2016, 03:42 PM
It use to bug the hell out of me seeing Stands kids sitting with the team on the bench.

Amen...

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-17-2016, 04:22 PM
Reports are that the team almost boycott practice today because of this. Chris Sale apparently ripped the team president a new one.

Bucky Dog
03-17-2016, 04:32 PM
Reports are that the team almost boycott practice today because of this. Chris Sale apparently ripped the team president a new one.

Well then all those that don't show up should be suspended! Get over yourselves, it's a job just like all of us have and we don't get to bring our kids with us every day, much less any day!

Todd4State
03-17-2016, 04:34 PM
I'll say this about it. Baseball has always been a family thing even at that level, which is one of the things that I like about the sport.

My uncle never had any kids, so he would let me come to spring training for a week every year I was in college and about once a year I would hang out with him when he was a minor league pitching coordinator and they would let me sit in the dugout and bullpen. I have always been thankful for that time I got to spend with HIM. And that's what it has always really been about. I would say it's not uncommon for players and coaches to do that- and I think that's why the White Sox players reacted the way that they did. Because they probably have family members that they want to share the experience with too.

Now my uncle gave me a set of rules- I couldn't say anything bad about the players performance on the field, couldn't criticize the manager, I couldn't talk about trade rumors that I had heard about, I had to not sit by the bat rack because sometimes players throw things when they are pissed, and I had to not sit where I would be in line of a foul ball. Oh- and I couldn't wear any Cardinals gear. Not that I would have.

I could maybe understand Williams stance if LaRoche's kid was breaking the "codes of conduct" as I stated above but that doesn't appear to be the issue. 14 year olds hear potty mouth language all the time. If that's an issue LaRoche would obviously know not to bring his kid into a clubhouse full of guys throwing F-bombs left and right.

If you are a fringe player and you think a 14 year old is going to distract you, you're not going to make it in MLB anyway.

To me, this sounds to me like a way for the White Sox to run off LaRoche and not have to take a huge hit in the form of his contract. And if I'm right, that stinks.

And as far as my experience with the other players on the team- it always very positive. They were very welcoming to me except for one guy who I just kept my distance from. The manager actually wanted me to come because they were winning and he thought I was good luck! So, fortunately it was always a good experience for me.

Dawg61
03-17-2016, 04:36 PM

Guess our cry baby society's mentality has creeped into MLB now. NBA players threatening to boycott till a racist old owner gets fired for a private phone conversation, LeBron and a bunch of others wearing #BlackLivesMatter tshirts, Beyonce performing a Black Panthers inspired performance at halftime of the SB and now baseball players threatening to boycott over a 14 year old son's right to complete and total access to everything the paid players get. What the **** is wrong with America right now?

Dawg61
03-17-2016, 04:44 PM
I'll say this about it. Baseball has always been a family thing even at that level, which is one of the things that I like about the sport.

My uncle never had any kids, so he would let me come to spring training for a week every year I was in college and about once a year I would hang out with him when he was a minor league pitching coordinator and they would let me sit in the dugout and bullpen. I have always been thankful for that time I got to spend with HIM. And that's what it has always really been about. I would say it's not uncommon for players and coaches to do that- and I think that's why the White Sox players reacted the way that they did. Because they probably have family members that they want to share the experience with too.

Now my uncle gave me a set of rules- I couldn't say anything bad about the players performance on the field, couldn't criticize the manager, I couldn't talk about trade rumors that I had heard about, I had to not sit by the bat rack because sometimes players throw things when they are pissed, and I had to not sit where I would be in line of a foul ball. Oh- and I couldn't wear any Cardinals gear. Not that I would have.

I could maybe understand Williams stance if LaRoche's kid was breaking the "codes of conduct" as I stated above but that doesn't appear to be the issue. 14 year olds hear potty mouth language all the time. If that's an issue LaRoche would obviously know not to bring his kid into a clubhouse full of guys throwing F-bombs left and right.

If you are a fringe player and you think a 14 year old is going to distract you, you're not going to make it in MLB anyway.

To me, this sounds to me like a way for the White Sox to run off LaRoche and not have to take a huge hit in the form of his contract. And if I'm right, that stinks.

Nope the White Sox are being proactive here. LaRoche's son isn't the problem. It's when someone like Yasiel Puig has a son and he's bat flipping and pimping batting practice homeruns and blasting Don Omar over the loudspeaker in the lockerroom everyday that you then have a giant problem. You can't tell Yasiel's son he can't be in the gang 100% if you already allowed LaRoche's son. Then you get destroyed for being racist and the owner has to sell the team or every Latin player in baseball will boycott. That's where this was headed and the White Sox saw it now instead of when it's too late.

MafiaDawg
03-17-2016, 05:30 PM
Y'all are kidding yourselves if you don't think this whole thing came to light bc PLAYERS complained. Again, they won't say it publically but it's obvious that's what happened and forced the team to step in.

BoomBoom
03-17-2016, 07:03 PM
Soundd like the players are retaliating by demanding limited access to the locker room for upper management.

Dawg61
03-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Soundd like the players are retaliating by demanding limited access to the locker room for upper management.

Lol upper managements job is to know their players and to evaluate everything about them including off the field character/chemistry in the locker room. Who are the players that are demanding this I'm curious?

Hot Rock
03-17-2016, 08:20 PM
Did not read any post so this is my meaningless take.

I think of my daughter on this one:

She has a masters in speech pathology and a job making nearly six figures, yet she opted to stay at home to home school her three almost four (bun in oven) kids.

Her husband is there, providing but not at her level. Why do some people chose this route? I have no clue, but if they are happy, more power to them.

Original48
03-17-2016, 09:35 PM
Did not read any post so this is my meaningless take.

I think of my daughter on this one:

She has a masters in speech pathology and a job making nearly six figures, yet she opted to stay at home to home school her three almost four (bun in oven) kids.

Her husband is there, providing but not at her level. Why do some people chose this route? I have no clue, but if they are happy, more power to them.
Nobody was desparaging home schooling..just the need for someone to take their kid to work with them every day.

Todd4State
03-17-2016, 10:26 PM
Nope the White Sox are being proactive here. LaRoche's son isn't the problem. It's when someone like Yasiel Puig has a son and he's bat flipping and pimping batting practice homeruns and blasting Don Omar over the loudspeaker in the lockerroom everyday that you then have a giant problem. You can't tell Yasiel's son he can't be in the gang 100% if you already allowed LaRoche's son. Then you get destroyed for being racist and the owner has to sell the team or every Latin player in baseball will boycott. That's where this was headed and the White Sox saw it now instead of when it's too late.

What? That's a LOT of assumptions there.

I can tell you the most I was ever allowed to do was play pitch and catch and dump baseballs in a bucket after one of the pitchers shagged a ball pregame and threw it to me. And I can also tell you that if I ever broke any of the rules my Uncle set forth- that was it. I was going to be coming back again. And I would imagine that's how it is for most people.

And of course I would imagine that if there actually was ever an issue that it would be handled internally. Like Dusty Baker's kid being the bat boy when he was four or whatever he was and he almost got plowed on a play at the plate. A lot was made out of that and Baker didn't allow his kid to be the bat boy from that point forward. Maybe he's back now that he is older.

And speaking of that- that happens sometimes too- a player's son or family member is made a bat boy. So, that's kind of a way "around" any issues like what LaRoche has going on. See Mark McGwire.

Todd4State
03-17-2016, 10:29 PM
Lol upper managements job is to know their players and to evaluate everything about them including off the field character/chemistry in the locker room. Who are the players that are demanding this I'm curious?

Chris Sale has been VERY vocal about it. I think he even told Ken Williams to get the f*** out during one meeting. Based on what I have heard pretty much the whole team is on LaRoche's side.

Not sure if it's because they may want to have their family do what LaRoche's kid is doing or because they feel like LaRoche was forced out and they White Sox used his kid to do that or maybe some of both.

Political Hack
03-17-2016, 10:39 PM
Chris Sale has been VERY vocal about it. I think he even told Ken Williams to get the f*** out during one meeting. Based on what I have heard pretty much the whole team is on LaRoche's side.

Not sure if it's because they may want to have their family do what LaRoche's kid is doing or because they feel like LaRoche was forced out and they White Sox used his kid to do that or maybe some of both.

That's my theory actually. May not hold water, but the kids been around for a while. Long enough to know all the players and have them take up for him. I think they may have been pretty happy that they didn't have to pay that $13 million off.

Todd4State
03-17-2016, 10:42 PM
That's my theory actually. May not hold water, but the kids been around for a while. Long enough to know all the players and have them take up for him. I think they may have been pretty happy that they didn't have to pay that $13 million off.

Total White Sox move. Low balling their players in 1919 is the main reason the Black Sox scandal occurred. They have a LONG history of doing stuff like that.

Dawg61
03-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Total White Sox move. Low balling their players in 1919 is the main reason the Black Sox scandal occurred. They have a LONG history of doing stuff like that.

LaRoche isn't worth $13 mill a year. Bringing your son to work everyday is a distraction. Till you're worth $13 mill don't bring distractions to work with you.

archdog
03-18-2016, 10:19 AM
LaRoche isn't worth $13 mill a year. Bringing your son to work everyday is a distraction. Till you're worth $13 mill don't bring distractions to work with you.
Bingo. If LaRoache was producing, then nothing would have been said. Now his kid may be a total asshole stillwell angel.