PDA

View Full Version : College / Pro

mic
03-16-2016, 09:20 AM
Listening to Dan Patrick .. And he is all for what I said last week .. 2 years college or you can go pro out of high school

Holy shit this solution is too easy...
Helps college basketball , helps pro basketball...

jumbo
03-16-2016, 09:32 AM
this has been my thought for a while too

HoopsDawg
03-16-2016, 09:35 AM
Listening to Dan Patrick .. And he is all for what I said last week .. 2 years college or you can go pro out of high school

This is what the commissioner, Adam Silver, wants except he does not want the out of high school option.

confucius say
03-16-2016, 09:35 AM
It is the obvious solution. Thus it will never come to be.

DownwardDawg
03-16-2016, 09:39 AM

Just so I understand, you're saying you are in favor of letting the player decide if he wants to play college ball for two years OR go straight to the NBA when he graduates high school?

Johnson85
03-16-2016, 09:39 AM

This doesn't help pro basketball, or at least not the owners and GMs. The whole point of the one and done rule is to make it easier for them to avoid busts.

What's weird is that the NBA just hasn't gone the NFL route, which would be even better for them. They lose out on a couple of years of marketability for some of the best players, but in return, get incoming rookies that have been in college long enough to bring some college fans with them.

And it's better for the players already in the player's union, as it would lessen their competition for a couple of years. But I believe the players union has actually pushed against age limits in the past, which is admirable on their part since their self interest would point in the opposite direction.

Coach34
03-16-2016, 09:45 AM
should be the same across the board for the Big 3- 3 years of college once enrolled. These guys need to mature and grow as people. You will get a much better product all the way around for everyone.

maroonmania
03-16-2016, 09:50 AM
I personally would like to see the NBA make it a 2 year rule period like the NFL makes it a 3 year rule. One year is not hardly worth the trouble but if you go to the rule like you are talking about then we are essentially back to what we had before the one year rule. 95% of these guys are going to go out of HS if they think they have any chance to get drafted and nothing else will really matter. Its different than baseball going out of HS because even when baseball players sign out of HS they know they probably have at least 2 to 3 years minimum working their way up the minors. No such worry for basketball players as they can jump right onto an NBA roster. Yes, there have been some success stories like Lebron and Kobe going straight out of HS but I think allowing 18 year old kids to jump into that environment overall is not good for anyone and doesn't let someone go through the natural stages of life maturity and development that have nothing to do with sports. I DO like the new rule where prospects can go to the NBA scouting combine now and get much more information on their draft status and are allowed to pull out of the draft late if things don't look good. That change was long overdue. If they had that back in the day that would have prevented Dee Bost from getting into trouble.

BrunswickDawg
03-16-2016, 10:12 AM
The only way they need to allow kids right out of HS is to utilize the D League or the ABA as a minor league system - or use the Euro teams like soccer does and "loan" players out to develop them. For every Kobe who makes it out of HS, there was a Kwame Brown. NBA just needs to buck up and make it like baseball.

Jack Lambert
03-16-2016, 10:42 AM
Just so I understand, you're saying you are in favor of letting the player decide if he wants to play college ball for two years OR go straight to the NBA when he graduates high school?

Doesn't college baseball work this way?

Irondawg
03-16-2016, 10:42 AM
Heck just put a age limit of 21 on the sports and be done with it. Players can chose college, overseason, developmental leagues or whatever else in the meantime.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-16-2016, 10:44 AM
The only way they need to allow kids right out of HS is to utilize the D League or the ABA as a minor league system - or use the Euro teams like soccer does and "loan" players out to develop them. For every Kobe who makes it out of HS, there was a Kwame Brown. NBA just needs to buck up and make it like baseball.

Yea but Kwame played for 13yrs & made over $60million dollars in his career. I would say he made the right decision. Guys like Lenny Cooke, Korleone Young, & Leon Smith are who made terrible decisions.

BrunswickDawg
03-16-2016, 11:01 AM
Yea but Kwame played for 13yrs & made over $60million dollars in his career. I would say he made the right decision. Guys like Lenny Cooke, Korleone Young, & Leon Smith are who made terrible decisions.

True - he probably wasn't the perfect example of a true bust. But, he is a great example of a guy who if he had been given developmental time of 3-4 years he could have become a perennial all-star. Like a lot of guys (like our own Malik Newman), Kwame was the entire offense in HS, playing in a man-against-boys setting. I watched him utterly destroy some good players in HS, but at his size who wouldn't. The only offense he had played was "lob it down low to Kwame and watch him dunk". There was no way he could post up on guys like Shaq as an 18 year old kid - simple because he did not know enough. Imagine him on those 2000s Billy Donovan teams at UF. He might have become Shaq, or Reynardo Sydney.

Johnson85
03-16-2016, 11:05 AM

Someone ran the numbers, and idea that a bunch of high school players that went straight to the draft were flaming out was over blown. In fact, I think they found that players that went straight to the pros were more likely to stick than players that left college early, which makes sense as the type of player with the athleticism or size to draw attention out of high school would usually be the more naturally gifted players.

The real reason it was shut down was not that some small percentage of high schoolers were making bad decisions, but that lots of GMs were making bad decisions.

Dawg61
03-16-2016, 11:55 AM
Imagine the lawsuits coming if you force players to go to college for 3 years in basketball. Football is different because most players not named Fournette are not physically mature enough for pro football. That's how football gets away with it. That argument doesn't fly for basketball.

sleepy dawg
03-16-2016, 12:53 PM
If college wasn't supposed to be about academics, I would be for this. As it stands, I think it's messed up to require this when athletics has very little to do with academics directly.

Taog Redloh
03-16-2016, 01:12 PM
should be the same across the board for the Big 3- 3 years of college once enrolled. These guys need to mature and grow as people. You will get a much better product all the way around for everyone.

Agree completely

Johnson85
03-16-2016, 01:27 PM
Imagine the lawsuits coming if you force players to go to college for 3 years in basketball. Football is different because most players not named Fournette are not physically mature enough for pro football. That's how football gets away with it. That argument doesn't fly for basketball.

Pretty sure that's not how the NFL gets away with it. They get away with it because collectively bargaining gives them some exemptions from anti-trust law that prevents a challenger from successfully suing for antitrust.

It may matter if there is some other theory, but the NBA could easily put the same rule in effect that the NBA has and get the same deference from the court, at least with respect to anti-trust claims.

maroonmania
03-16-2016, 03:01 PM

I agree with the maturity part once enrolled but I still say if you give a HS senior the option to go in the draft then about 95% of them are going to do it if they think they have any chance of being drafted. Its only going to be more if they know they are stuck in college for 3 years minimum if they don't go. I like the 2 year minimum rule out of HS but even without that, if you are going to allow a HS and/or 1 year in college player to be drafted then they SHOULD have the option to come to back to school if they don't sign with an agent and do not like what they are being offered. Now THAT would be more equitable to what goes on in baseball. In baseball getting drafted doesn't negate your amateur status where in basketball and football it does via the fact you have to "declare" for the draft.

mic
03-16-2016, 04:52 PM
It should be 2 years college or right out of high school. Period.. Best and easiest solution.
Making them go 2 at least makes them be student athletes for 18 months ..

If they won't to go out of high school then let them go.. No reason they should be MADE to go to school one year over getting paid..

with all the scouts, feed back, camps, Ect Ect .. there is no reason why a kid shouldn't have a good idea where he would fall if he declared early... If he and his advisors aren't smart enough to get that info and use it to make the right decision for him then so be it..