PDA

View Full Version : My bracket is over

shannondawg
03-16-2016, 07:44 AM
Didn't fill one out, but if I had, with Vanderbilt's loss last night , it would have been wasted effort on my part.

I watched part of the game, and the Butler game in Birmingham came to mind. Clearly Vandy should have been the better team, but WS was red hot while Vandy missed shot after shot, layup after layup,

Oh well.

mic
03-16-2016, 07:52 AM
Didn't fill one out, but if I had, with Vanderbilt's loss last night , it would have been wasted effort on my part.

I watched part of the game, and the Butler game in Birmingham came to mind. Clearly Vandy should have been the better team, but WS was red hot while Vandy missed shot after shot, layup after layup,

Oh well.

Have no idea what went wrong with this Vandy team this year.... Stallings is one of the better coaches and this team was very talented.. With a couple of NBA players...
I also thought Vandy would win this game and give Zona all they could handle..

msstate7
03-16-2016, 08:29 AM
Vandy shouldn't have been in over South Carolina anyway

fishwater99
03-16-2016, 09:22 AM
Have no idea what went wrong with this Vandy team this year.... Stallings is one of the better coaches and this team was very talented.. With a couple of NBA players...
I also thought Vandy would win this game and give Zona all they could handle..

Greg Marshall is a great coach and gets way more out of his players than he should. It takes more than NBA talent to win in CBB.

mic
03-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Greg Marshall is a great coach and gets way more out of his players than he should. It takes more than NBA talent to win in CBB.

No doubt that Marshall is top 5-10 college in hoops.
Point was with the talent Vandy had coming back and with Stallings this team should have competed with AM and UK for the SEC and should have never been in a situation to be one of the last 4 in..

Political Hack
03-16-2016, 09:49 AM
I've always like Stans but he lost that Butler game. We had a foul to give and could've made them run down the clock and then take the ball out from half court again with 3 or 4 seconds left. We didn't put our kids in position to win that game. Floor coaching mistake down the stretch...

Coach34
03-16-2016, 09:50 AM
Vandy shouldn't have been in over South Carolina anyway

Cant lose Tourney opener when you are on the bubble

Coach34
03-16-2016, 09:51 AM
I've always like Stans but he lost that Butler game. We had a foul to give and could've made them run down the clock and then take the ball out from half court again with 3 or 4 seconds left. We didn't put our kids in position to win that game. Floor coaching mistake down the stretch...

Zoning Duke with JJ Redick is a close 2nd

Dawg61
03-16-2016, 10:05 AM
I think Stallings gets credit for being a way better coach than he actually is. Dude has a losing SEC record after seventeen seasons at Vandy. He's 138-142 in the SEC.

HoopsDawg
03-16-2016, 10:11 AM
Zoning Duke with JJ Redick is a close 2nd

that was comical. I think Duke busted 3 straight 3's before we finally got out of it. I'm the Duke players were shocked/excited when they saw that.

Coach34
03-16-2016, 10:20 AM
that was comical. I think Duke busted 3 straight 3's before we finally got out of it. I'm the Duke players were shocked/excited when they saw that.

We zoned them for 4 possessions- Redick hit 2 3-balls and they got 2 easy paint shots. 10 points on 4 trips.

mic
03-16-2016, 10:22 AM
I think Stallings gets credit for being a way better coach than he actually is. Dude has a losing SEC record after seventeen seasons at Vandy. He's 138-142 in the SEC.

Only missed postseason play 4 or 5 times in 17 years...and has had at least 2 sweet 16 teams I think.. And he is at Vandy.... That's pretty strong to me...

Jack Lambert
03-16-2016, 10:35 AM
The SEC sucks in Basketball. Ky is above average at best this season. I would not be surprise if the SEC does not have anyone in the sweet Sixteen.

Dawg61
03-16-2016, 10:55 AM
Only missed postseason play 4 or 5 times in 17 years...and has had at least 2 sweet 16 teams I think.. And he is at Vandy.... That's pretty strong to me...

Vandy basketball isn't Vandy football. To have a losing record after seventeen seasons is bad. Imagine the stability and advantages a good coach should have after being at the same school for 17 seasons. For example see our football program. After only seven years Mullen has built MSU to an almost guaranteed bowl appearance every year as our floor. Vandy basketball historically is better than MSU football historically. Andy Kennedy is 88-80 in the SEC. Is AK a better coach than Stallings? He's at a worse program historically.

tcdog70
03-16-2016, 11:06 AM

Stansbury had a winning record against Stallings. 138-142 doesn't look strong to Me. What's being at Vandy got to do with it, you think he would have been better at Auburn or Georgia?

Coach34
03-16-2016, 11:18 AM
Stansbury had a winning record against Stallings. 138-142 doesn't look strong to Me. What's being at Vandy got to do with it, you think he would have been better at Auburn or Georgia?

While they do relax entrance requirements some for sports- there is a large portion of top basketball recruits Vandy simply cant sign. Thats what being at Vandy has to do with it

Dawg61
03-16-2016, 11:23 AM
The SEC sucks in Basketball. Ky is above average at best this season. I would not be surprise if the SEC does not have anyone in the sweet Sixteen.

SEC sucks in basketball? No. The SEC is average to above average but certainly not elite like it is in football and baseball. Those two sports dominance makes basketball seem worse than it is. If you include LSU (turned down their invite) the SEC has more than half the league in the NCAA/NIT this year (8). That isn't sucking.

03-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Being in ACC country I have a very hard time watching SEC basketball any longer without shouting at the television. The tables are flipped when football season comes around but they are not as skewed as basketball.

Dawg61
03-16-2016, 11:37 AM
While they do relax entrance requirements some for sports- there is a large portion of top basketball recruits Vandy simply cant sign. Thats what being at Vandy has to do with it

That hasn't limited the other twenty plus "smart" schools that have traditionally strong basketball programs. Of all the sports besides maybe golf or tennis, basketball is the easiest to have a good program and be tough academically.

Dawg61
03-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Being in ACC country I have a very hard time watching SEC basketball any longer without shouting at the television. The tables are flipped when football season comes around but they are not as skewed as basketball.

True but is it financially the best decision to stack your conference with good basketball programs or with good football programs? Keep in mind the worst football game in the SEC every year still gets watched on tv by more people than Duke vs UNC basketball.

Coach34
03-16-2016, 11:46 AM
That hasn't limited the other twenty plus "smart" schools that have traditionally strong basketball programs. Of all the sports besides maybe golf or tennis, basketball is the easiest to have a good program and be tough academically.

most schools recruit regionally- Tenn, Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia arent bastions of academic excellence.

03-16-2016, 11:49 AM
True but is it financially the best decision to stack your conference with good basketball programs or with good football programs? Keep in mind the worst football game in the SEC every year still gets watched on tv by more people than Duke vs UNC basketball.

No doubt. And the SEC network proves it.

fishwater99
03-16-2016, 12:18 PM
No doubt that Marshall is top 5-10 college in hoops.
Point was with the talent Vandy had coming back and with Stallings this team should have competed with AM and UK for the SEC and should have never been in a situation to be one of the last 4 in..

It comes back to coaching and team chemistry. I think you are give Stallings too much credit..

Dawg61
03-16-2016, 12:47 PM
most schools recruit regionally- Tenn, Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia arent bastions of academic excellence.

Yes and that could be the reason the SEC struggles in basketball. Good football programs up north recruit the south hard for football. Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame for example. Maybe it's time the SEC reverses that for basketball. Recruit the Midwest and north hard for basketball and only sign 4* and 5* players from the south. A 3* from Indiana is most likely going to have a higher basketball IQ than a 3* from Mississippi. The SEC goes after athletes from the south cause there's a plethora of them available. Once everyone starts going for the high basketball IQ guys over the raw athletes you'll start seeing a better brand of basketball played in the SEC.

mic
03-16-2016, 02:43 PM
If anyone doesn't think Stallings is a very good coach.. Then you don't know basketball very well..
I'm not saying he is top 10 in the country, but there are a lot of basketball programs that would really want what he has done at Vandy past 17 years...
Did more than what a certain coach did here...
Remember he had to play UK , Fla, 2 times every year the past 17... The east in basketball back then is like the west in football today ..
Reason being only one coach voted not to break up the divisions...

Maroonthirteen
03-16-2016, 03:03 PM
If anyone doesn't think Stallings is a very good coach.. Then you don't know basketball very well..
I'm not saying he is top 10 in the country, but there are a lot of basketball programs that would really want what he has done at Vandy past 17 years...
Did more than what a certain coach did here...
Remember he had to play UK , Fla, 2 times every year the past 17... The east in basketball back then is like the west in football today ..
Reason being only one coach voted not to break up the divisions...

You should have called into 104.5. I'm riding through Nashville today. They were brutal... Brutal! In regards to the job Stallings has done and Vandy. They were pretty hard on the players -. In so many words calling them p.........

It is just our society today. Everyone wants to fire the coach.

Coach34
03-16-2016, 03:13 PM
You should have called into 104.5. I'm riding through Nashville today. They were brutal... Brutal! In regards to the job Stallings has done and Vandy. They were pretty hard on the players -. In so many words calling them p.........

Too much money and notoriety in play now to be patient with coaches and programs

mic
03-16-2016, 04:46 PM

I agree about this year... That's why I said Something was up... Too much talent and too good of a coach for them to have the year they did...

And hey Vandy carful what you wish for.. Just ask UCLA...

shannondawg
03-16-2016, 05:15 PM
What amazes me is that you guys can remember those plays that Stans screwed up on, but can't remember any that he did good on.

Is he the only coach that called a a zone and got shot out of it? Come on!

But what do I know, I would have been kicked out of the bracket before the tourney actually started..Which was the purpose of this thread.

Dawg61
03-16-2016, 06:31 PM
What amazes me is that you guys can remember those plays that Stans screwed up on, but can't remember any that he did good on.

Is he the only coach that called a a zone and got shot out of it? Come on!

But what do I know, I would have been kicked out of the bracket before the tourney actually started..Which was the purpose of this thread.

Again, it wasn't Stansbury's lack of floor coaching that got him fired it was him missing on over THIRTY players in less than ten years. That's how many guys transferred, quit or got kicked off the team. OVER THIRTY!! Stop with the butthurt over his firing. He did it to himself and he REALLY did it to himself when he refused to fire his assistants and he himself CHOSE to resign instead.

Wish I could just auto reply this till it finally soaks in for some of y'all

shannondawg
03-16-2016, 10:16 PM
I got over the Retiring. I just like to give the man some credit where credit is due.
Nit picking is nit picking, the man was our all time winning coach, don't you think some credit is due for that?

Hate is not a good thing.

Dawg61
03-16-2016, 10:38 PM
I got over the Retiring. I just like to give the man some credit where credit is due.
Nit picking is nit picking, the man was our all time winning coach, don't you think some credit is due for that?

Hate is not a good thing.

Stansbury was excellent at getting Roberts, Power and Moultrie to transfer in. Those were three very good players he added through transfers. There's some credit.