PDA

View Full Version : Konnor Pilkington starting against Eastern Kentucky

Todd4State
03-14-2016, 11:15 PM
Figured it would be Breaux or Small but good to get some other guys some experience as well.

Dallas_Dawg
03-14-2016, 11:35 PM
I like it. Let's see what else we got. I'd have a quick hook though if I was Coinz

Todd4State
03-15-2016, 12:14 AM
We're going to see several guys over the next two days. This is their time to get some experience.

MetEdDawg
03-15-2016, 05:36 AM
With two mid week games and Vandy up this weekend this is not a surprise. All hands on deck for Vandy including Breaux and Small even though them pitching Tuesday means they probably could pitch Saturday or Sunday if needed.

bulldogcountry1
03-15-2016, 08:30 AM
We have a lot of young arms, and we still really haven't settled our weekend pen. I imagine Cohen wants to keep as many guys in play for the weekend and doesn't want to burn any more than he has to during the week, especially with two games. It's either pitch guys who probably aren't ready for SEC and hope they can get a quality start or go the Johnny Wholestaff route. It would be nice to get through the week with guys like Pilkington, Cyr, Padgett, and Hughes eating most of the innings. It would get them the experience and help rest everyone else.

CadaverDawg
03-15-2016, 08:37 AM
I like getting guys experience, but in terms of postseason, we'd be better off getting swept by Vandy in terms of RPI than to lose to a poor RPI team midweek due to dicking around with the pitching staff, no?

In other words, if we can get away with it, it's genius...but if we lose midweek because of playing "everybody gets an inning", that genius move turns stupid quickly, in my opinion. I hope Pilkington can stay in there if he gets rolling early. We need to get early leads in both midweek games to take some pressure off of the pitching.

maroonmania
03-15-2016, 08:44 AM
I like getting guys experience, but in terms of postseason, we'd be better off getting swept by Vandy in terms of RPI than to lose to a poor RPI team midweek due to dicking around with the pitching staff, no?

In other words, if we can get away with it, it's genius...but if we lose midweek because of playing "everybody gets an inning", that genius move turns stupid quickly, in my opinion. I hope Pilkington can stay in there if he gets rolling early. We need to get early leads in both midweek games to take some pressure off of the pitching.

I really don't understand why you would schedule TWO midweek games anyway in front of a weekend trip to Vandy. I will say though that between the two you are probably better off pitching your best midweek pitcher against Oral Roberts rather than Eastern KY if you want to win both.

CadaverDawg
03-15-2016, 09:12 AM
I really don't understand why you would schedule TWO midweek games anyway in front of a weekend trip to Vandy. I will say though that between the two you are probably better off pitching your best midweek pitcher against Oral Roberts rather than Eastern KY if you want to win both.

I agree. Really dumb scheduling this week.

State82
03-15-2016, 09:46 AM
With regard to RPI these midweek games are like playing with fire. Especially with two of them. Don't understand that either. We are positioning ourselves nicely over a quarter of the way through the schedule. We don't need to stumble today or tomorrow.

tcdog70
03-15-2016, 09:53 AM
I agree. Really dumb scheduling this week.

i don't understand what's is dumb about it. JC knows we need some more at bats and we have plenty of young pitchers that need work. They are not chopping cotton, they just playing baseball. We will have plenty of arms available for Vandy and the extra at bats will help also. plus with the weather there is always the chance of one game getting rained out.

mparkerfd20
03-15-2016, 09:54 AM
Who? Has he even pitched this year?

AusTexDawg
03-15-2016, 09:57 AM
I really don't understand why you would schedule TWO midweek games anyway in front of a weekend trip to Vandy.

While I agree that it's not ideal to have two games ahead of Vandy, Spring Break is the time to have two midweeks if you're going to do it.

maroonmania
03-15-2016, 11:50 AM
i don't understand what's is dumb about it.

Well, only the fact that if you hold back most all your better pitchers and stumble against a bad RPI team at home then its going to adversely affect your own RPI. All of these things are important if you are trying to stay in position to possibly host a regional and maybe even a super regional.

msstate7
03-15-2016, 11:53 AM
By having 2 midweek games, it does give us a chance to look at more pitchers. Maybe a guy or 2 look really good and we use them this weekend... Same thing happened last week with breaux and small

jbjones
03-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Who? Has he even pitched this year?

Pilkington. Freshman from East Central High School (Hurley, MS). I believe he pitched some in the South AL game.

Tbonewannabe
03-15-2016, 01:43 PM

I could see letting some guys get some innings today and going whole staff tomorrow or vice versa.

bulldogcountry1
03-15-2016, 03:59 PM
Hopefully, we can get some early runs so we can afford to give these young pitchers a little rope.

baseballfan
03-15-2016, 10:14 PM
We have a lot of young arms, and we still really haven't settled our weekend pen. I imagine Cohen wants to keep as many guys in play for the weekend and doesn't want to burn any more than he has to during the week, especially with two games. It's either pitch guys who probably aren't ready for SEC and hope they can get a quality start or go the Johnny Wholestaff route. It would be nice to get through the week with guys like Pilkington, Cyr, Padgett, and Hughes eating most of the innings. It would get them the experience and help rest everyone else.

IMO Breaux and Small are better as starters. I don't think they are being put in a situation to really show their stuff. I think these two should have started these two mid week games. What's going on with Marerro?