PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Season

GTHOM
03-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Its finally that time any of ya'll going to knock down an old thunderchicken in the morning??

Treemydawg
03-14-2016, 06:34 PM
I'll be going but getting a bird is not very likely. I haven't even heard on gobble this year.

GTHOM
03-14-2016, 07:15 PM
Tree the last 2 years have been the roughest turkey hunting I've ever had. But I've been taking my little brother since youth season started last tuesday and I've heard 3 or 4 already. Hopefully they decide to hang around. I hope you get one man good luck

Barking 13
03-14-2016, 08:33 PM
The other day I heard one gobble about 30 yards behind my back porch. Yesterday, I head a hen clucking out behind my shop... I'll probably never see 'em..

Uncivilengineer
03-15-2016, 07:23 AM
I will be going Saturday and Sunday in my new club NE of Vicksburg.

GTHOM
03-15-2016, 10:08 AM
The other day I heard one gobble about 30 yards behind my back porch. Yesterday, I head a hen clucking out behind my shop... I'll probably never see 'em..

Shoot at 30 yards you shouldve busted em

trob115
03-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Anyone have any luck this morning? Me and my buddy ended up getting a double this morning on a crazy hunt.

starkvegasdawg
03-15-2016, 02:30 PM
Saw a video Stingray posted on FB of two fighting in his backyard. Looks like they may be in midseason form already. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to hit the woods Saturday or not.

Barking 13
03-15-2016, 03:16 PM
Shoot at 30 yards you shouldve busted em

The gobbler was down the hill in the bottom, and I couldn't see, and I just heard the hen about dark while I was in the shop... I may have exaggerated a little, but it was less than a hundred yards. My back yard goes for about 100 feet and then drops off a pretty good drop to the bottom...

GTHOM
03-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Anyone have any luck this morning? Me and my buddy ended up getting a double this morning on a crazy hunt.

I've been hunting the same bird for 4 days now tried to call him in for my little brother during youth season and went after him myself the last 2 days, he's a good one. He's gotten to about 50 yards and stopped everytime waiting for that hen to come to him, you can tell he's done this before. Congrats on the double man

WeWillScrewItUp
03-17-2016, 03:35 PM
Had to go back to work today. Was after them hard the last 2 days. Just couldn't seal the deal. Seasons just beginning so I'm pumped still. Come on Saturday.

Treemydawg
03-17-2016, 07:48 PM
I finally found some birds gobbling this morning. Got set up on them and started a soft yelp and they cut me off gobbling. I said to my self this is going to be too easy, but they gave me the slip. Had them close enough to hear them drumming but I never saw them. Maybe tomorrow.

Treemydawg
03-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Got one this morning. 9 1/4" beard 1" spurs.

trob115
03-18-2016, 11:25 AM
I've been hunting the same bird for 4 days now tried to call him in for my little brother during youth season and went after him myself the last 2 days, he's a good one. He's gotten to about 50 yards and stopped everytime waiting for that hen to come to him, you can tell he's done this before. Congrats on the double man

Thanks !

Are you not comfortable shooting at 50? I generally like them to be a lot closer, but with my Indian creek choke tube and hevi shot 7's I have killed 2 turkeys at 60 yards.

SapperDawg
03-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Thanks !

Are you not comfortable shooting at 50? I generally like them to be a lot closer, but with my Indian creek choke tube and hevi shot 7's I have killed 2 turkeys at 60 yards.

You guys are killing me with these stories, being stuck out of town during turkey season sucks! Trob, I still have not tried the heavi 7's yet, I need to do that.

If you have a full or super full choke and a 3.5" shell capability, a Winchester Longbeard XR #5 will get out to 50....see here: http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?28779-Turkey-Load-Testing-FEB-2015&highlight=turkey+load+testing

GTHOM
03-18-2016, 04:48 PM
Thanks !

Ive gotten them at 45 to maybe 50 but Im not gonna try it unless I absolutely have to. My dad has always let me use his 12 ga. Remington 1100 since I was a little kid and I've just never wanted a new gun. Tradition i guess. I've never bought or added anything to it

LockeDawg
03-22-2016, 03:06 PM
I've been out of town on business for 2 dang weeks - can't wait to get back South so I can get in the woods. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend.

LandDawg
03-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Have heard good gobbling all 3 hunts this year. Called 1 off the roost this morning into a food plot. He was about 70 yards away but just wouldn't commit. Its a big plot and after 3-4 minutes, he went back into woods because he couldn't find a hen. Circled the plot and came in behind me but I couldn't see him in the thickness.

Headed out now to see if I can call him in this afternoon or roost him for the morning.

Treemydawg
03-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Got a trespasser . Silver extended cad f-150, Madison county tag, state student sticker in the back glass. If he is parked on me in the morning I will be placing a call to the GW.

BB30
03-23-2016, 12:00 PM
Haven't been able to hunt as much as I would like due to work but have some birds around its killing me having these perfect mornings this week and being stuck in an office. Hopefully will get to get after them hard this weekend.

chainedup_Dawg
03-24-2016, 09:38 AM

Sounds like the perfect call through situation.

I've been twice, once i took my 10 year old son. We had 2 jakes, one gobbler and about 20 hens all about 70 yards from us the last friday of youth season. The jakes and gobbler never paid us any mind. Last weekend i went to an area that i know i left 2 birds in there the last day of the season last year but i didn't even see sign that turkeys ever existed on that place! Haven't heard a gobble yet. So far it's been pretty disappointing.