PDA

View Full Version : Basketball strength of schedule

Dawg61
03-13-2016, 08:25 PM
The committee made it very clear that they reward SOS when deciding bubble teams. It is a must for us to have a top 30 SOS every year. How many games do we have left next year that we need to schedule? I'd like to see Howland schedule half our OOC games vs current teams in this tournament. Who are some teams you'd like to see MSU schedule? Here's some I'd like to see.

VCU
Stephen F. Austin
Butler
Tulsa
Providence
Colorado
Iowa
Purdue
Michigan
Pittsburgh
Dayton
Memphis
Wichita State

mic
03-13-2016, 10:05 PM
The committee is all over the place just like Cal said.
They have no criteria that they stick too..
SOS on year
Road wins one year
Wins against top 50 on year
RIP one year.

the59dawg
03-13-2016, 10:08 PM
SOS on year
Road wins one year
RIP one year.

This. They left S. Carolina out for example although they had 4 top 50 wins.

Dawg61
03-13-2016, 10:36 PM
This. They left S. Carolina out for example although they had 4 top 50 wins.

They left out USCe cause their OOC strength of schedule is 271 best in the country.

TheBagman
03-13-2016, 10:37 PM
I'm just hoping we get to the point we have to worry about SOS

mic
03-13-2016, 10:45 PM
They left out USCe cause their OOC strength of schedule is 271 best in the country.

More wins than Tulsa. And beat them head up at N site..
If 2 teams are both on the bubble and have similar criteria head to head win should be the deciding factor..

Dawg61
03-13-2016, 11:00 PM
More wins than Tulsa. And beat them head up at N site..
If 2 teams are both on the bubble and have similar criteria head to head win should be the deciding factor..

They punished USCe for their non conference schedule. The committee guy on CBS said SOS was the determining factor multiple times. They were horribly inconsistent this year though because Monmouth should have gotten in. They played almost every OOC game on the road and beat some very big names including @UCLA, Notre Dame in Orlando, USC in Orlando, @Georgetown by 15, lost to Dayton by 3 and went 17-3 in their conference and 27-7 overall. The tournament needs to expand to 96 teams. Give 32 of them a first round bye.

mic
03-14-2016, 09:24 AM
They punished USCe for their non conference schedule. The committee guy on CBS said SOS was the determining factor multiple times. They were horribly inconsistent this year though because Monmouth should have gotten in. They played almost every OOC game on the road and beat some very big names including @UCLA, Notre Dame in Orlando, USC in Orlando, @Georgetown by 15, lost to Dayton by 3 and went 17-3 in their conference and 27-7 overall. The tournament needs to expand to 96 teams. Give 32 of them a first round bye.

That's my point.. If SOS out of conference is the main factor then keep that every year..
Obviously it wasn't or Monmouth would have gotten in.. I'm not saying USCe deserved to be in..
It's big enough now.. If it expands more then it becomes really watered down.

Dawg61
03-14-2016, 10:59 AM
That's my point.. If SOS out of conference is the main factor then keep that every year..
Obviously it wasn't or Monmouth would have gotten in.. I'm not saying USCe deserved to be in..
It's big enough now.. If it expands more then it becomes really watered down.

Look at the NIT bracket. There's a lot of good teams in it. The field could easily absorb those 32 becoming a 96 team tournament and it'd be better off for it. Replace the first four games with the "first 64" games. One game for 64 teams played on Tuesday. Winners play the top 32 teams making it the same 64 total teams. Playing 32 games in one day would be unbelievably awesome! The most we see right now are 16 games on the opening days. Florida, Bama, USCe, Georgia and LSU would make my 96 team tourney along with aTm, UK and Vandy.

HoopsDawg
03-14-2016, 11:08 AM
Look at the NIT bracket. There's a lot of good teams in it. The field could easily absorb those 32 becoming a 96 team tournament and it'd be better off for it. Replace the first four games with the "first 64" games. One game for 64 teams played on Tuesday. Winners play the top 32 teams making it the same 64 total teams. Playing 32 games in one day would be unbelievably awesome! The most we see right now are 16 games on the opening days. Florida, Bama, USCe, Georgia and LSU would make my 96 team tourney along with aTm, UK and Vandy.

If LSU is in your tournament then you have too many teams.

We had a pretty good SOS this year considering we are in the SEC but we need to avoid the Southern's and the Alabama A&M's at all costs. You would be better off not even playing a game.

Dawg61
03-14-2016, 01:19 PM
If LSU is in your tournament then you have too many teams.

We had a pretty good SOS this year considering we are in the SEC but we need to avoid the Southern's and the Alabama A&M's at all costs. You would be better off not even playing a game.

LSU is in my tournament because of Ben Simmons. He is the best looking talent to enter the draft since LeBron. A talent that good can do magical things in a do or die tournament.

I can not agree more about dropping Southern and Alabama A&M. Replace those games with top 40 RPI teams.

Johnson85
03-14-2016, 01:56 PM
Look at the NIT bracket. There's a lot of ok teams in it. The field could easily absorb those 32 becoming a 96 team tournament and it'd be better off for it. Replace the first four games with the "first 64" games. One game for 64 teams played on Tuesday. Winners play the top 32 teams making it the same 64 total teams. Playing 32 games in one day would be unbelievably awesome! The most we see right now are 16 games on the opening days. Florida, Bama, USCe, Georgia and LSU would make my 96 team tourney along with aTm, UK and Vandy.

FTFY. The tournament would be ok as a 96 team tournament, but it doesn't need another 30 teams and that would make the regular season pretty much completely pointless. Right now it still means something to make it to the dance and everybody that could realistically win the tournament gets in. It's a good balance right now.

Johnson85
03-14-2016, 02:00 PM
SOS on year
Road wins one year
RIP one year.

I want a tough SOS even if the committee doesn't emphasize it as much in the future, just because I think it would be more fun to watch and would result in teams that are better prepared come tournament time (at least, I want this to start in two years, when I hope our program is in a position that we can be competitive in all our games). I know you need tune-up games in basketball too, but the reality is we're never going to be able to fill out our schedule without some games that non-state fans would want to watch, so we should always have some tune-up games. I'd just like to get as many good games in as possible, especially against Power 5 teams.

sleepy dawg
03-14-2016, 07:42 PM
Just like others have said, it's different criteria every year from these guys on the committee. When you compare Vandy to SC, it's pretty hard to justify Vandy getting in over SC. They had the same conference record and SC won head to head. SC played a weak OOC schedule, but didn't lose a game. Vandy played a tough OOC schedule, but lost all the hard games. SC had 4 more OOC wins than Vandy. Playing a hard team in and of itself should not be a reward, and most years it isn't given as much regard as it was this year.

Next years secret criteria will probably be whoever has the biggest dick.