PDA

View Full Version : Where are the fire Cohen people?

Jacksondevildog
03-13-2016, 01:46 PM
I guess they'll be back if get down 1-0 in the first inning on Tuesday.

pilldawg
03-13-2016, 02:20 PM
We should fire Cohen if we don't host this year. One host in 8 years is not acceptable for MSU baseball. We are better this year, but it is host or pack your bags to me.

War Machine Dawg
03-13-2016, 03:06 PM
We should fire Cohen if we don't host this year. One host in 8 years is not acceptable for MSU baseball. We are better this year, but it is host or pack your bags to me.

I wouldn't say host should be the criteria, because there are a ton of factors that effect hosting now, but he certainly should have to do more than back into the Tourney as 3 or 4 seed. To me, he should be a minimum of a 2 seed. That shows me positive progress. But this weekend was definitely encouraging, especially after winning 2 last weekend at the Dodger classic. Oregon is a good team and we kicked their ass all over DNF.

99jc
03-13-2016, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't say host should be the criteria, because there are a ton of factors that effect hosting now, but he certainly should have to do more than back into the Tourney as 3 or 4 seed. To me, he should be a minimum of a 2 seed. That shows me positive progress. But this weekend was definitely encouraging, especially after winning 2 last weekend at the Dodger classic. Oregon is a good team and we kicked their ass all over DNF.

and if he goes back to losing and coaching like a dumbass we will all be back.

War Machine Dawg
03-13-2016, 03:14 PM
and if he goes back to losing and coaching like a dumbass we will all be back.

Uhhh....did you mean to quote me? Pretty sure I wasn't the one calling anyone out in this thread. Just trying to lay out some realistic criteria for judging the success of this season.

Coach34
03-13-2016, 03:37 PM
No Mora Excuses

HoopsDawg
03-13-2016, 03:51 PM
we had this thread yesterday. Look down 4 threads. Good job by Cohen and the Dawgs. He corrected some of hte mistakes he made early in the season. There are still a couple of things that worry me, but hopefully they will get worked out.

Commercecomet24
03-13-2016, 04:04 PM

This is reasonable.

99jc
03-13-2016, 04:24 PM
Uhhh....did you mean to quote me? Pretty sure I wasn't the one calling anyone out in this thread. Just trying to lay out some realistic criteria for judging the success of this season.

dumb 17er who asked where all fire Cohen people are.

Jacksondevildog
03-13-2016, 04:28 PM
Yeah I asked the question. I obviously touched a nerve.

shannondawg
03-13-2016, 05:25 PM
I don't know much about baseball, but aren't the early season games time to fine tune the team?

Commercecomet24
03-13-2016, 05:38 PM
I don't know much about baseball, but aren't the early season games time to fine tune the team?

You are correct, sir.

State82
03-13-2016, 05:46 PM

If you want to host regionals you better win them also.

engie
03-13-2016, 05:57 PM
If you want to host regionals you better win them also.

So, what unreasonable or bad loss did he have?

HoopsDawg
03-13-2016, 06:36 PM

As I've said all season, Cohen has been fine this year. He hasn't meddled as much. Only thing I had a problem with was Game 1 of the season bringing in the freshman pitchers instead of the veterans. Bring in Tatum against FL Atlantic and we have 1 more win.

Going forward, we have to be smarter on the basepaths. Giving away too many outs. And I'm still nervous about D at 3B. Also hope Luke and Marrerro can get some balls to drop. Otherwise, need to look at other options.

Coach34
03-13-2016, 07:16 PM
To quote a former player today- "If John would just sit there and watch the game we'll be pretty damn good this year"

I like what Cohen is doing with the OF platoons.
We can live with Collins at 3B as long as he is hitting. Probably need to put Hump there 1 out of every 5 or 6 to get him or Cody an extra start
Belmont is going to have to start hitting or we gonna have to do something

I really like where we are for the most part on our position players

We got to figure out who we can rely on with the game on the line in the 7th, 8th, and 9th. We dont have that yet. Thats not good heading into SEC play

No Mora Excuses

War Machine Dawg
03-13-2016, 07:26 PM
To quote a former player today- "If John would just sit there and watch the game we'll be pretty damn good this year"

We can live with Collins at 3B as long as he is hitting. Probably need to put Hump there 1 out of every 5 or 6 to get him or Cody an extra start

We got to figure out who we can rely on with the game on the line in the 7th, 8th, and 9th. We dont have that yet. Thats not good heading into SEC play

No Mora Excuses

I really like what I've seen from Blake Smith, Rigby, and Paul Young. If it were me, those are my late inning guys. They can fight amongst themselves to close. And Zac Houston needs to pull his head out of his ass about being a starter, because he could help us out there, too. I'd prefer Breaux, Small, or Padgett be our Sunday starter, but they're solid for middle relief.

We definitely have upgraded the talent. Now it's just up to #TheMeddler to get the hell out of the way and let these guys play. As for Alexander, his D is so good I don't care if he hits much. He's Andrelton Simmons for this team. Hopefully once Kruger can throw we'll DH Collins more, because he's a complete liability in the field.

Political Hack
03-13-2016, 07:34 PM
I think Ethan Small could become an elite set up guy down the stretch.

State82
03-13-2016, 07:35 PM

Not a one this year. We're in good shape so far. But a lot of people think these non-conference games are meaningless and SEC games are the only really important ones. I've seen a number of posters here over the years say they don't pay much attention until SEC play starts. My contention is games like this weekend are just as important, in the big picture, as any other. So my point is, this weekend was huge.

Dawg61
03-13-2016, 08:49 PM
I wanted to fire Cohen in the 2nd inning today when he bunted with 0 outs and already ahead 1-0. Seriously. Who the **** in all of baseball besides Cohen bunts in the 2nd inning after scoring 10 runs and 9 runs the previous two games? I am at my absolute limit with this shit. Someone please get in his ear and tell him to stay the **** outta the players way. I would prefer he leaves the dugout when we are hitting and goes into LFL to grill some brats and drink a beer while we are at the plate.

confucius say
03-13-2016, 08:58 PM

In a meeting with the "we'd prefer dan leave" people.

War Machine Dawg
03-13-2016, 09:00 PM
I wanted to fire Cohen in the 2nd inning today when he bunted with 0 outs and already ahead 1-0. Seriously. Who the **** in all of baseball besides Cohen bunts in the 2nd inning after scoring 10 runs and 9 runs the previous two games? I am at my absolute limit with this shit. Someone please get in his ear and tell him to stay the **** outta the players way. I would prefer he leaves the dugout when we are hitting and goes into LFL to grill some brats and drink a beer while we are at the plate.

Can we bring back Polk's empty chair for when we're on offense? It would be an improvement.*****......sorta......

I seen it dawg
03-13-2016, 09:12 PM
12-3-1

baseballfan
03-13-2016, 09:38 PM
I think Small needs to start either Tuesday or Wednesday's game. I think he can be really good. Just needs some innings. I like Houston as a setup closer or late relief. He will get more command too. Tatum is good in relief also. Great job by the offense. Need to clean up some base running mistakes. Overall it's looking good.

engie
03-13-2016, 09:58 PM
I think Small needs to start either Tuesday or Wednesday's game. I think he can be really good. Just needs some innings. I like Houston as a setup closer or late relief. He will get more command too. Tatum is good in relief also. Great job by the offense. Need to clean up some base running mistakes. Overall it's looking good.

Agreed. I think you give one to Breaux and one to Small. Need both of those -- and Oral Roberts is not going to be a pushover.

Jack Lambert
03-14-2016, 12:29 AM

I suspect UCLA's coach would. I don't have a problem with it as long as you got good pitching to keep the other guys from blowing you out.

Todd4State
03-14-2016, 12:50 AM

I think Houston has gotten better and I think he is coming to grips with the relief pitching thing. With Small and Breaux they are both just learning and adjusting right now- but totally agree that we need to try to stretch them out if we can.

Todd4State
03-14-2016, 12:53 AM

No Mora Excuses

Like I said, we need to rep the hell out of Collins every day for the rest of the season. He missed the summer and most of the fall because of his hand injury. That's hurting him and us right now because he is way behind.

Leroy Jenkins
03-15-2016, 10:42 PM
The fire coinz crowd must have gone to the place the coinz defenders are about to go.

Coach34
03-15-2016, 10:45 PM
Tonight is why you don't post threads like this- always comes back to kick you in the ballbag

maroonmania
03-15-2016, 10:46 PM
Tonight is why you don't post threads like this- always comes back to kick you in the ballbag

And games like tonight is why we will have a hard time ever hosting regionals any more.

Coach34
03-15-2016, 10:53 PM
Yep

CadaverDawg
03-15-2016, 11:40 PM
I'm sick of this embarrassing shit. It's an unnecessary roller coaster that never reaches it's ceiling potential.

Shame on ME this time, for yet again allowing myself to be fooled by a Cohen club. Same shit with his meddling, over managing ass. I'm not falling for this shit again. And I may bump this very damn thread every time someone tries to say "why so negative?" about baseball going forward. THIS is "why so negative?".

Dawg61
03-16-2016, 12:24 AM
Eastern Kentucky is to Cohen as Maine is to Croom

I seen it dawg
03-16-2016, 05:52 AM

Hahahahahahahahaha

whosyourdawgy
03-16-2016, 06:34 AM
How many think we still win this game even with the shitastic bullpen effort if Cohen leaves the lineup alone and let's them swing away? He coached us right in to that loss in my opinion.

Coach34
03-16-2016, 06:37 AM
Loss was dead on the pitching. Johnson and crew have to be better. You can't lose games when you score 12 runs. Can't blame the offense- we scored 12

whosyourdawgy
03-16-2016, 06:46 AM
Oh I agree 100 percent. But if Cohen leaves the lineup alone and doesn't start his bunting, hitting and running shit I think we score more runs from the 7th thru 9th innings. Instead he screws with the lineup and reverts to "coaching" too much and we don't. What the Hell is up with Tatum?

BB30
03-16-2016, 09:54 AM
12 runs and you are talking about offensive issues**

Coach34
03-16-2016, 10:02 AM
12 runs and you are talking about offensive issues**

12 runs in baseball is like scoring 48 in football and losing.

mparkerfd20
03-16-2016, 12:31 PM
I'm probably alone in this, but I have yet to be impressed with Wes Johnson. I'm gonna try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but damn.

PMDawg
03-16-2016, 12:39 PM
Cohensbury

CadaverDawg
03-16-2016, 12:41 PM
I'm probably alone in this, but I have yet to be impressed with Wes Johnson. I'm gonna try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but damn.

I think he'll be fine, but it's time to focus a bit less on velocity and see if we can find someone that doesn't walk 2 batters per inning. If our walks were cut in half this year, we'd have one loss and be Top 5, and actually deserve it.

In close games we are in a tough spot, because not only do we gift dozens of base runners with walks, we also have to deal with Cohen trying to take back over the game with small ball every time it's a tight game. Those two don't mix, bc we play for 1 run in late innings while having a bullpen that gives up a bunch of runs. Gotta get better control on the mound, AND gotta have Cohen stop taking the reigns in a close game late. We scored 12 runs bc our guys can hit....so don't take the bat out of their hands when the game is close.

Dawg61
03-16-2016, 12:52 PM

Shit it hasn't even been half a season with an entire staff of guys he didn't recruit. Is he supposed to build Rome in a day too?

Blackout
03-16-2016, 01:49 PM
Shit it hasn't even been half a season with an entire staff of guys he didn't recruit. Is he supposed to build Rome in a day too?

Exactly

maroonmania
03-16-2016, 01:51 PM

Also, last night was the first game since the opener that pitching just absolutely went to hell in a handbasket even with the young guys. Anything can happen in one game but if this starts happening more frequently then yes, I will start being more concerned about Johnson. For now, for the most part, the pitching has been adequate to good.

HoopsDawg
03-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Also, last night was the first game since the opener that pitching just absolutely went to hell in a handbasket even with the young guys. Anything can happen in one game but if this starts happening more frequently then yes, I will start being more concerned about Johnson. For now, for the most part, the pitching has been adequate to good.

Interesting stat from David Murray: Last 4 games starters ERA 1.19, Bullpen 12.56. Small sample size but dayum.

maroonmania
03-16-2016, 02:40 PM
Interesting stat from David Murray: Last 4 games starters ERA 1.19, Bullpen 12.56. Small sample size but dayum.

Well just last night alone the bullpen probably had an ERA of over 30 because we gave up 10 runs in the last 3 innings. I could easily see it averaging to over 12.

Dawg61
03-16-2016, 06:33 PM

Easy fix. Never take out the starters!!**

RocketDawg
03-16-2016, 06:40 PM

What was the bullpen stat before last night? Hopefully last night was an outlier.

baseballfan
03-16-2016, 09:18 PM
The only pitchers doing good are the starters because they are getting innings to develop. The rest of the pitchers are not throwing enough.

Coach34
03-16-2016, 09:29 PM
tough week so far for JacksonDevildawg

Jacksondevildog
03-16-2016, 09:49 PM
That's fine. Maybe you can get him fired.

Blackout
03-16-2016, 09:53 PM

I don't think Cohen needs any help the way things are going

Coach34
03-16-2016, 09:54 PM

A) thanks for showing back up. Got to own it when you get kicked in the ballbag

B) I dont want him fired yet. He gets until the final out to make his case. A 2 seed somewhere is fine- I can deal with that- for now after last year. A low 3-seed with an 8th in the SEC finish? I want him gone. But more importantly- the guys with alot of money are going to want him gone- and it wont take much at this point.

Jacksondevildog
03-16-2016, 10:02 PM
My balls are just fine and if we luck up and win two in Nashville, people on this board will be lining up to lick Johns balls. Only to bite them off when we lose to directional Louisiana. Par for the course. If he finishes like you say, you fire him.

Coach34
03-16-2016, 10:06 PM
My balls are just fine and if we luck up and win two in Nashville, people on this board will be lining up to lick Johns balls. Only to bite them off when we lose to directional Louisiana. Par for the course. If he finishes like you say, you fire him.

Meh- not so much. He has 25% of the fanbase that would be fine if we fired him tomorrow. And that number may be higher. I know a few former players that hate his ass. We have a donor that is withholding a $5MM donation for the new stadium because he hates Cohen. Its going to take a helluvalot more than winning 2 games at Vandy. Big money State guys want to host regularly- and they know with Cohen that isnt happening.

the59dawg
03-16-2016, 10:07 PM
This season is over for all practical purposes. No leadership. Piss poor coaching effort. A team that gets itself up for couple days, then lays down for a couple. Who can get excited about them? Who can trust them? Who would want to go watch this jekyl and hyde crap? MSU sports are really going downhill. Time for some hard questions being asked by those who are accountable!

Jacksondevildog
03-16-2016, 10:09 PM
Well, hopefully Scott doesn't ask Rick Ray if he would like to coach baseball at MSU. I'm scared about him making the hire. Howland fell in our lap. You would have to hope the same thing happens for baseball.

Meh- not so much. He has 25% of the fanbase that would be fine if we fired him tomorrow. And that number may be higher. I know a few former players that hate his ass. We have a donor that is withholding a $5MM donation for the new stadium because he hates Cohen. Its going to take a helluvalot more than winning 2 games at Vandy. Big money State guys want to host regularly- and they know with Cohen that isnt happening.

dawgday166
03-16-2016, 10:09 PM
This is a guess ... AND this is only a guess but ... "Theeey're Baaack".

War Machine Dawg
03-17-2016, 12:16 AM
A) thanks for showing back up. Got to own it when you get kicked in the ballbag

B) I dont want him fired yet. He gets until the final out to make his case. A 2 seed somewhere is fine- I can deal with that- for now after last year. A low 3-seed with an 8th in the SEC finish? I want him gone. But more importantly- the guys with alot of money are going to want him gone- and it wont take much at this point.

This is where I've been for a year. Looks like we're in for a firing if he doesn't right the ship quickly. No Mora Excuses.