PDA

View Full Version : No chance of CBI or Vegas 16?

Quaoarsking
03-12-2016, 06:01 PM
I haven't heard anyone mentioning these tournaments as a possibility, but it seems like we should be on their radars.

The Vegas 16 is focusing on major conference teams with winning records. Not sure if they'll be able to fill out their field with just that, since major conference teams often decline sub-NIT bids. But it could clear up some spots in the CBI.

The CBI wants as many major conference teams as possible and has taken teams with losing records before. With the new Vegas 16 taking some major conference teams, they might give us a look.

The CIT is for mid-majors only, but they'll divert 32 bids away from the CBI.

Overall, 164 teams will play in a postseason tournament. Our RPI is 151 and our kenpom.com (more accurate) rating is 83. We deserve to be in that 164. Our seniors deserve one last chance to play.

Jack Lambert
03-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Do you really want tot go to the CBI?

mparkerfd20
03-12-2016, 06:09 PM
Nope none.

gravedigger
03-12-2016, 06:09 PM

What advantage is there to turning down post season play?

Quaoarsking
03-12-2016, 06:12 PM

Why not? Lots of major conference schools, including powers, have played in the CBI:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBI_bids_by_school

We weren't good enough for the CBI during the Rick Ray years. This year, we are, so we should go play in it.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-12-2016, 06:30 PM

YES!

More Practice time. More Playing time. Yes.

I seen it dawg
03-12-2016, 06:33 PM
If we are offered a post season game you absolutely take it. Stupid not to.

Tbonewannabe
03-12-2016, 08:12 PM
I would love to give these seniors a chance at some type of tournament.

Dawg61
03-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Hell yes we take any tournament possible. Stapelton, Strugg, Holman and especially Newman need the practice. Would Newman go though?

CadaverDawg
03-12-2016, 09:28 PM
Name one good reason why it wouldn't be beneficial to play in any post season tourney. I'd love it for our Seniors, but also as more floor time for the guys returning.

That being said, I have no clue if it's even possible for us to go to a tourney with a sub .500 record.

msstate7
03-12-2016, 09:33 PM
Name one good reason why it wouldn't be beneficial to play in any post season tourney. I'd love it for our Seniors, but also as more floor time for the guys returning.

That being said, I have no clue if it's even possible for us to go to a tourney with a sub .500 record.

Well you have to pay to play, so I guess that's a knock.

CadaverDawg
03-12-2016, 09:37 PM

Use the money we are saving by using unfinished plywood on the walls of our multi million dollar IPF.*

Quaoarsking
03-12-2016, 10:03 PM

Colorado played in the CBI last year with a losing record, and they've taken others in previous years. The CBI is pretty desperate for majors that they'd almost certainly take us if we pursue it. Our RPI is in the lower end, but last year they took several teams in the 150s.

If we aren't in, it means Stricklin/Howland intentionally chose not to.

Quaoarsking
03-13-2016, 03:15 PM
Some Twitters saying Ole Miss to Vegas 16. Hope that tournament clears up space in the CBI for us

Quaoarsking
03-13-2016, 10:18 PM
We didn't get picked. Not sure if we declined or weren't asked, but looking at this list, I feel pretty confident they would've taken us if we'd pursued it. For reference, our RPI is 152 and record is 14-17.

81 Ohio (20-11)
99 Siena (21-12)
107 Albany (22-8)
118 Nevada (17-13)
126 Vermont (20-13)
127 Morehead State (20-13)
129 Pepperdine (17-13)
144 Nebraska-Omaha (16-13)
145 Montana (18-11)
162 Duquesne (15-16)
166 Western Carolina (13-17)
190 Idaho (19-12)
225 Houston Baptist (13-16)
233 Eastern Washington (15-15)
245 UNC-Greensboro (11-18)
287 Seattle (12-16)

Those last 4 are major WTFs. This is the first year they haven't had any P5 teams. My guess is that all the P5s declined because all the others did, but if LSU, Northwestern, Penn State, etc., had all been willing to play with Montana and the teams with better RPIs than Montana, this could've been a decent tournament.

Johnson85
03-14-2016, 09:31 AM

How much do you have to pay?

The only reason I would say it might not be worth it is that the reason to play is to get younger guys more experience and practice time. It seems likely that the only players coming back next year will be Weatherspoon, Holman, Strugg, and one of Ready or Malik will be back next year. Not sure how beneficial that would be.

fishwater99
03-14-2016, 09:48 AM

The only reason I would say it might not be worth it is that the reason to play is to get younger guys more experience and practice time. It seems likely that the only players coming back next year will be Weatherspoon, Holman, Strugg, and one of Ready or Malik will be back next year. Not sure how beneficial that would be.

$50K, but I think that includes meals and lodging.

Quaoarsking
03-14-2016, 10:25 AM

Why do people always say this? Why wouldn't Ready return, and how would Newman's decision affect him anyway? We have enough scholarships for everyone on the roster.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Looking at that field I totally understand why we would decline an invitation.

Johnson85
03-14-2016, 12:11 PM
Why do people always say this? Why wouldn't Ready return, and how would Newman's decision affect him anyway? We have enough scholarships for everyone on the roster.

I am just repeating what I've heard, but we will potentially have:

1: Lamar Peters, Ready, and Malik
2: Weatherspoon, Eli Wright and Tyson Carter
3: Stapleton and Kegler
4. Holman and Strugg(?)
5. Herard, Ado

Even recognizing that we will probably use Kegler and maybe even occasionally Stapleton as a stretch 4, and play three guards, that's still a crowded backcourt. And I could see Malik coming back based on needing to learn the one, so I could see that, along with a pretty good recruit in Peters, causing Ready to think his minutes will be too limited.