PDA

View Full Version : Billy Kennedy agrees to 5 year contract extension

Coach34
03-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Stands gonna be the Coach in Waiting for awhile

I guarantee Stands has everybody he knows trying to help him get the LSU job right now- which is def smart

missouridawg
03-12-2016, 05:24 PM
aTm is gonna regret that contract when Stansbury leaves.... Stansbury is the one getting that talent there

MarketingBully
03-12-2016, 05:56 PM
Yep, Kennedy is a terrible washed up coach and had he not hired Stansbury would have been fired already.

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Somebody mentioned Stans and Memphis. Passing this along as an "I heard" only and not any type confirmation. I don't even know if Memphis' coach is on hotseat or not. Would seem to be a decent fit if so I suppose. Memphis loves them some basketball.

turkish
03-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Stans:C34::C34:UNM

JohnnyQuid
03-12-2016, 07:55 PM
aTm is gonna regret that contract when Stansbury leaves.... Stansbury is the one getting that talent there

agree.
is it just me or stans living rent free in c34s head?

Coach34
03-12-2016, 08:05 PM
agree.
is it just me or stans living rent free in c34s head?

Well, it seems that the people closest to the situation and in charge of paying someone millions think that Kennedy is the most important cog in the machine.

Leave it to State fans to keep perpetuating the Legend of Stands- the guy nobody wants for a HC for 4 years now since leaving State

turkish
03-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Did "State fans" start this thread?

JohnnyQuid
03-12-2016, 08:13 PM
Well, it seems that the people closest to the situation and in charge of paying someone millions think that Kennedy is the most important cog in the machine.

Leave it to State fans to keep perpetuating the Legend of Stands- the guy nobody wants for a HC for 4 years now since leaving State

who's a better assistant in CBB right now? not to mention the talent he has helped bring in - sure he had nothing to do with that.

I'm happy with where our bball program is with howland - things have come around. but I'll be damned I'd skip the rick ray era if I could. "gotta get to the next level!"

the person posting most about stans is you - but stans is doing just fine for himself I'd say. will he ever get a HC gig again? idk. he could do a better job than half the guys in the sec at this point tho

DancingRabbit
03-12-2016, 08:22 PM
Somebody mentioned Stans and Memphis. Passing this along as an "I heard" only and not any type confirmation. I don't even know if Memphis' coach is on hotseat or not. Would seem to be a decent fit if so I suppose. Memphis loves them some basketball.

Pastner is on the hot seat, but UMemphis can't really afford to fire him and pay off his $10 million contract, and then pay big bucks for a coach that would get the fans excited. Lately the buzz is that he wouldn't be fired. I don't think Stans was ever high on the list of coaches fans would want.

Memphis has won their last 3 games by 20+ points and faces UConn tomorrow in the AAC championship, so they might still make the tourney and muffle the negative chatter.

Coach34
03-12-2016, 08:24 PM
Did "State fans" start this thread?

We have threads on Jackie, Crooms, and Polk too...its ok to talk about former coaches

Dawg61
03-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Stands gonna be the Coach in Waiting for awhile

I guarantee Stands has everybody he knows trying to help him get the LSU job right now- which is def smart

Stansbury at LSU would boil our rivalry over the top. LSU is the last place I want to see Stansbury at. He would be a pain in our ass down there in the swamp.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-12-2016, 08:43 PM
Stansbury at LSU would boil our rivalry over the top. LSU is the last place I want to see Stansbury at. He would be a pain in our ass down there in the swamp.

He would be fired there in three years and Howland would win 75% of those games between the two.

Please, Corndog U. Please hire Felkerbury. Please.

turkish
03-12-2016, 08:49 PM
We have threads on Jackie, Crooms, and Polk too...its ok to talk about former coaches
When was the last thread you started about any of those?

I'm not a stans guy, but don't say his legend, good, bad, or indifferent, is perpetuated more by anyone more than yourself.

Dawg61
03-12-2016, 09:08 PM
He would be fired there in three years and Howland would win 75% of those games between the two.

Careful what you ask for. John Brady took LSU to a final four. John Brady.

Coach34
03-12-2016, 09:11 PM
When was the last thread you started about any of those?

I'm not a stans guy, but don't say his legend, good, bad, or indifferent, is perpetuated more by anyone more than yourself.

I started a thread about Bruce Pearl just a couple of days ago. I start all kinds of thread- its a message board. Stands becomes a big deal because so mazny of our fans try to make him into a bigger deal than he really is. Just like I was told how quickly he would be a HC again after State fired him. 4 years later- still nuttin.

Coach34
03-12-2016, 09:12 PM

Brady was twice the floor coach Stands was. Brady was Richard Williams Part Deaux- good coach, hates recruiting. Hell, Brady help win us our SEC title under Williams. He helped recruit that bunch of guys that won it.

Coach34
03-12-2016, 09:13 PM

Exactly. He would recruit well and then have them just miss the NCAA's every season at best. You think his guys got in trouble in Sville? Baton Rouge would never allow him to keep them under control

CadaverDawg
03-12-2016, 09:24 PM
I doubt LSU would hire Stans. Stans is nothing more than Johnny Jones with a little better floor coaching. They won't go the recruiter only route again after this year's embarrassment

Dawg61
03-12-2016, 09:40 PM
Brady was twice the floor coach Stands was. Brady was Richard Williams Part Deaux- good coach, hates recruiting. Hell, Brady help win us our SEC title under Williams. He helped recruit that bunch of guys that won it.

What a joke. You say he hates recruiting and then the next sentence give him credit for recruiting our final four team. Do you always talk outta both sides or just when you're trying to shit on Stansbury? Twice the floor coach? Hahaha wtf. Brady's final 4 roster had Big Baby Davis, Darnell Lazare, Darrel Mitchell, Tasmin Mitchell, Magnum Rolle, Garret Temple and Tyrus Thomas on it. That team was loaded with talent! Wasn't no floor coaching that got them there.

Coach34
03-12-2016, 10:03 PM
What a joke. You say he hates recruiting and then the next sentence give him credit for recruiting our final four team. Do you always talk outta both sides or just when you're trying to shit on Stansbury? Twice the floor coach? Hahaha wtf. Brady's final 4 roster had Big Baby Davis, Darnell Lazare, Darrel Mitchell, Tasmin Mitchell, Magnum Rolle, Garret Temple and Tyrus Thomas on it. That team was loaded with talent! Wasn't no floor coaching that got them there.

Brady helped recruit the guys that got our SEC title in 1991- not the FF team. Kirby and Stands helps recruit that group. Brady hated recruiting- he was Richard Williams. Anybody that knows anything knows this about Brady and Williams

The guys that hate recruiting always keep an Asst with them for a long time. Once Williams was HC- he wanted his assts to do the brunt of the recruiting like Brady, Reboul, Stands, etc. Brady did the same thing to Pierre. Its how they operate

Dawg61
03-12-2016, 10:15 PM
Ok. Brady's FF team was nasssty with talent. Somebody was recruiting it not floor coaching it.

Coach34
03-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Ok. Brady's FF team was nasssty with talent. Somebody was recruiting it not floor coaching it.

He coached them very well too. You dont make the FF without good coaching- Look at Johnny Jones

Dawg61
03-12-2016, 10:57 PM
He coached them very well too. You dont make the FF without good coaching- Look at Johnny Jones

Alright. The point is that it takes less at LSU from a coaching standpoint to be very good than it does at twelve other SEC schools. Thus why I prefer Stansbury doesn't land there. He would have a tremendous chip on his shoulder at a school a trash can could recruit at. Stansbury would make recruiting our own state more difficult than it is today. Don't act like in twenty years of coaching here he didn't make a connection or two at the high school and aau level within this state. Hell he's got MSU boosters that are his buddies that'd help funnel players to him just to stay buddies with him. You know it's true.

missouridawg
03-12-2016, 11:20 PM
Since this has turned into a pissing match, I just want to clarify my stance....

First, I was really happy to see Stansbury go. He had some obvious flaws that weren't being addressed. He wa a great recruiter, an average floor coach, and a terrible CEO.

Now, I would absolutely hate to see him as a head coach in this area. He is a dynamic recruiter and that wouldn't be fun going against. He also has likely learned a few new tricks from a coaching and program management perspective, so he should be better than he was when he was when he was with us.

Carry on.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-12-2016, 11:24 PM
Alright. The point is that it takes less at LSU from a coaching standpoint to be very good than it does at twelve other SEC schools. Thus why I prefer Stansbury doesn't land there. He would have a tremendous chip on his shoulder at a school a trash can could recruit at. Stansbury would make recruiting our own state more difficult than it is today. Don't act like in twenty years of coaching here he didn't make a connection or two at the high school and aau level within this state. Hell he's got MSU boosters that are his buddies that'd help funnel players to him just to stay buddies with him. You know it's true.

Don't care. He can recruit and use all the connections he has at his disposal all he wants. Remember, this is the guy that had Lrob, Z, Bowers, Power, Winsome, and Vincent and still couldn't make it past weekend one two years straight. Same guy who also had four NBA level talents his last year here and was a one-and-done in the NIT.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-12-2016, 11:28 PM
He also has likely learned a few new tricks from a coaching and program management perspective, so he should be better than he was when he was when he was with us

Considering his penultimate MSU team was filmed on national TV fighting over nachos, he had nowhere else to go but up.

Dawg61
03-12-2016, 11:56 PM
Don't care. He can recruit and use all the connections he has at his disposal all he wants. Remember, this is the guy that had Lrob, Z, Bowers, Power, Winsome, and Vincent and still couldn't make it past weekend one two years straight. Same guy who also had four NBA level talents his last year here and was a one-and-done in the NIT.

Ok but even if he Stansbury's it up he will still pull some players from this state that we would get if he wasn't there. That weakens us no matter how bad he chokes. LSU already has a strong influence in southern Mississippi. Put a coach there that has tons of Mississippi connections and it'll only amplify LSU's weight in this state which means it hurts MSU.

dawgday166
03-13-2016, 03:44 AM

And Stans couldn't get us past 1st weekend ever ... even when he had better talent, or at least as good, as Brady had on that team.

But I will say .. everyone can learn from their mistakes and maybe Stans knows what to do different now. Maybe he's learning that from Kennedy.

Dawg61
03-13-2016, 08:27 AM
And Stans couldn't get us past 1st weekend ever ... even when he had better talent, or at least as good, as Brady had on that team.

But I will say .. everyone can learn from their mistakes and maybe Stans knows what to do different now. Maybe he's learning that from Kennedy.

Stansbury wasn't very lucky in his pairings though and that should get some consideration. He lost to Butler, an unbeatable Xavier, Duke, NC runner up Memphis, Washington and Texas. He wasn't getting put out by Valpo and Central Michigan.

JohnnyQuid
03-13-2016, 08:52 AM
And Stans couldn't get us past 1st weekend ever ...

says a bunch of good coaches ever

JohnnyQuid
03-13-2016, 09:01 AM
Stansbury wasn't very lucky in his pairings though and that should get some consideration. He lost to Butler, an unbeatable Xavier, Duke, NC runner up Memphis, Washington and Texas. He wasn't getting put out by Valpo and Central Michigan.

and that Xavier team was hot as a 2$ pistol

Dawg61
03-13-2016, 09:30 AM

Yup they were unbeatable for about a three week stretch that year. They were just coming off winning the A10 tournament by destroying the undefeated and #1 team in the country St. Joe's by 35 points. St. Joe's had Jameer Nelson and Delonte West that year and was the only undefeated team left in the country. Xavier embarrassed them. I think Nelson had just gotten injured though but still there wasn't a hotter team in the country than Xavier. Just our luck.

dawgday166
03-13-2016, 12:46 PM

Doesn't help that those MSU teams showed up shooting some of the most awful bricks ... I mean guys like Bowers, Z, Power, etc. ... guys that could shoot. Clank, clank, ... sometimes barely drawing iron.

Also lost 1st game of SEC tourney to Vandy the year we lost to Xavier. After winning the whole SEC. Stans' teams didn't perform well as the favorite. Much better as the underdog. Didn't ever shoot FTs well either.

A lot of sports whether it's basketball, baseball, football is psychological. Stans' teams always played too uptight as favorites. Plus, he wasn't a great half-court offense coach either.

That's not why I wanted him to go tho. It started when the Delks & Hansbrough transferred and Jamont Gordon emerged as the dribble around the last 3 mins of a game and take every shot in close games, never making a game winner in 3 years (except for KY once in SEC tourney). Before that it had been the Walter Sharpe saga. After that the Sidney/Bailey fight, the Sidney roller-coaster, etc. Stans became too enamored with his elite talent like Gordon & Sidney, at the expense of the rest of the team.

Honestly tho ... if given another shot I think Stans might do pretty well. Probably has learned from his mistakes. I think Howland will be very good tho, no matter who he's competing against, if he keeps getting the talent he is getting..

Johnson85
03-13-2016, 12:59 PM

Stansbury at LSU would probably replicate the career he had at state. Stansbury wasn't a good X's and O's coach, but he was good enough. The only reason he had to go was that it would have been impossible for the same person that brought the cancers into thevlockerroom to clean house. If there had been a way to turn over the complete team in one off season, he probably could have turned it around.

Dawg61
03-13-2016, 01:24 PM
Stansbury isn't here anymore because he missed on over THIRTY players after losing to Xavier. You can't miss on that many signees and survive. It's really that simple.