PDA

View Full Version : Cohen

bulldogcountry1
03-10-2016, 10:49 PM
After last season, I was really hoping that Cohen would do some soul searching and come into this season as a different guy. A guy that had enough confidence in his preparation that he could step back when the game started and let the game play out until it required some intervention. He just hasn't done that, and I worry that he isn't capable. It's going to cost us wins every season. The staff has obviously done a great job of getting talent in, but we can't get the most out of anyone with an insecure dictator treating everyone like machines.

We have some good baseball minds on the board, and I don't think anyone can go a full game without seeing Cohen doing something that completely surprises us. I could make a list, but it isn't necessary. Hell, we have a better chance at picking the power ball than the starting lineup. It's crazy, and that's before the first pitch. There's no rational explanation for most of what he does, even if he has some metric that tells him a cold player off the bench has a better shot than the guy he put in the cleanup spot two hours earlier, or a guy who doesn't get to play in half the games then suddenly appears in the two hole.

This weekend is huge for us. Either we keep dropping winnable games, thanks to dumb coaching decisions, or Cohen starts giving us consistency and restraint.

Coach34
03-10-2016, 11:04 PM
We aren't playing until at least Sunday

Coach34
03-10-2016, 11:05 PM
And yeah- Cohen is Micromanager personified

No Mora Excuses

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-10-2016, 11:06 PM
After last season, I was really hoping that Cohen would do some soul searching and come into this season as a different guy. A guy that had enough confidence in his preparation that he could step back when the game started and let the game play out until it required some intervention. He just hasn't done that, and I worry that he isn't capable. It's going to cost us wins every season. The staff has obviously done a great job of getting talent in, but we can't get the most out of anyone with an insecure dictator treating everyone like machines.

We have some good baseball minds on the board, and I don't think anyone can go a full game without seeing Cohen doing something that completely surprises us. I could make a list, but it isn't necessary. Hell, we have a better chance at picking the power ball than the starting lineup. It's crazy, and that's before the first pitch. There's no rational explanation for most of what he does, even if he has some metric that tells him a cold player off the bench has a better shot than the guy he put in the cleanup spot two hours earlier, or a guy who doesn't get to play in half the games then suddenly appears in the two hole.

This weekend is huge for us. Either we keep dropping winnable games, thanks to dumb coaching decisions, or Cohen starts giving us consistency and restraint.

Hush. We are all melting down from our BBall SEC Tourney no-show.

Goldendawg
03-10-2016, 11:07 PM
I never understood the pre-season ranking for our team. Hope we have a good season, but it is somewhat like our basketball hopes. Young talent coming in to join veterans who really lost last year.

Taog Redloh
03-10-2016, 11:14 PM
I hate to let you in on this little nugget of truth, but if Cohen can't win at MSU, there ain't many others that are going to able to either.

engie
03-10-2016, 11:36 PM
bc1 pls

War Machine Dawg
03-10-2016, 11:37 PM
I hate to let you in on this little nugget of truth, but if Cohen can't win at MSU, there ain't many others that are going to able to either.

http://i.imgur.com/yZFbSy5.gif

Todd4State
03-11-2016, 12:41 AM

The other nugget of truth is whomever our baseball coach is will also have lineups that change, probably bunt more than some would like, and is also going to do things that some of our fans don't like.

Todd4State
03-11-2016, 12:46 AM
I never understood the pre-season ranking for our team. Hope we have a good season, but it is somewhat like our basketball hopes. Young talent coming in to join veterans who really lost last year.

We had a lot of players returning from the Cape Cod League and everyone sees how good the freshmen are now. Also, we're 9-3-1 with some nice wins already over USC on the road and South Alabama. So it's not like we've lost to a SWAC team like the basketball team did this year.

We will likely also have a better season than the basketball team relatively speaking.

Coach34
03-11-2016, 01:15 AM
The other nugget of truth is whomever our baseball coach is will also have lineups that change, probably bunt more than some would like, and is also going to do things that some of our fans don't like.

I disagree on one point. I doubt any other coach has ever gone 50+ games without playing the same line up in baseball- maybe in the history of the game

K9 Avenger
03-11-2016, 07:46 AM

Wash, rinse, repeat.....here's a new one: you're an idiot if you bunt....oh wait.....

dawgday166
03-11-2016, 08:05 AM
We had a lot of players returning from the Cape Cod League and everyone sees how good the freshmen are now. Also, we're 9-3-1 with some nice wins already over USC on the road and South Alabama. So it's not like we've lost to a SWAC team like the basketball team did this year.

We will likely also have a better season than the basketball team relatively speaking.

Not sure if we know yet if USC is a nice win or not. What they've done over the course of college baseball history doesn't matter. This time last year we thought Zona was a good win. Also, beating us would've been a good win for someone ... at the time.

engie
03-11-2016, 08:07 AM
Not sure if we know yet if USC is a nice win or not. What they've done over the course of college baseball history doesn't matter. This time last year we thought Zona was a good win. Also, beating us would've been a good win for someone ... at the time.

If this is true then South Alabama is an elite win.

tcdog70
03-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Damn, JC isn't Rick Ray. if he is so inept how the **** did He win the SEC at Kentucky? he has won everywhere He has been. Last year was was a bummer but $hit didn't we play for a National Championship before that? I believe we will be a really good team this year. JC does some things that I don't like but what Coach does everyone agree with? The bottom Line is win.

ShotgunDawg
03-11-2016, 10:25 AM
I think it's difficult to criticize particular lineups, in-game calls, etc because, as fans, we simply don't know all the factors involved. However, I would say that there are few things that are concerning.

1. Most of our players seem to have great summers, but stink in season. Renfroe & Hudson both found themselves in the Summer before coming back to have good JR years. That & other instances lead me to believe the culture around the program is uptight, & not conducive for kids playing relaxed and too their potential.

2. Other than a month stretch two years ago, Cohen's teams seem to rarely play well. It doesn't mean they are bad, but they are a little like LSU in football or Muschamp's Florida teams. They just rarely play to their potential. Conversely, when you look a lesser talented team like Ole miss, they seem to always play well, & when you look at similarly talented teams like Louisville & LSU, they also seem to usually play well.

I say all this to say that teams can win because they despise their head coach & come together for a common goal, due to that, or because they love their head coach & play fast & relaxed. However, I believe Cohen is caught in between & his players play like they are caught in-between. Hesitant

Bully13
03-11-2016, 11:00 AM

Better than basketball? Do you find that acceptable all things considered?

War Machine Dawg
03-11-2016, 11:08 AM
I disagree on one point. I doubt any other coach has ever gone 50+ games without playing the same line up in baseball- maybe in the history of the game

This is what Todd and his crew refuse to acknowledge. It's not about the occasional lineup change. It's about doing it all the damn time. And let's put it out there: It wasn't 50+ games, it was 82 games. But let's keep acting like those who complain about Cohen changing the lineup are bitching about nothing. I'm sure Cohen is smarter than every ****ing manager in the history of baseball when it comes to having a set lineup.

Taog Redloh
03-11-2016, 11:16 AM
This is what Todd and his crew refuse to acknowledge. It's not about the occasional lineup change. It's about doing it all the damn time. And let's put it out there: It wasn't 50+ games, it was 82 games. But let's keep acting like those who complain about Cohen changing the lineup are bitching about nothing. I'm sure Cohen is smarter than every ****ing manager in the history of baseball when it comes to having a set lineup.
Lineup changes haven't costed us wins. In 2014 it was the lack of slugging, mainly from guys who were SUPPOSED to step into veteran leadership roles but didn't, specifically Rea and Detz. In 2015 it was the lack of a quality reliever.

Bitch about something else. The lineup crap is dumb. Not to mention that Cohen has been very consistent this season.

Coach34
03-11-2016, 11:16 AM

Last season was just ****ing ridiculous. I like what he is doing this season in getting younger guys AB's and playing time- there needed to different line ups early this year because of the number of guys needing AB's. And to his credit, it only took him 10 games to move Kruger where he needed to be. But last season was next level ridiculous.

War Machine Dawg
03-11-2016, 11:19 AM
Last season was just ****ing ridiculous. I like what he is doing this season in getting younger guys AB's and playing time- there needed to different line ups early this year because of the number of guys needing AB's. And to his credit, it only took him 10 games to move Kruger where he needed to be. But last season was next level ridiculous.

82 games in a row spanned two seasons, considering there are only about 60 games in a college season.

Agree about this season. The younger guys definitely need the PT.

Coach34
03-11-2016, 11:20 AM
Lineup changes haven't costed us wins.

Bitch about something else. The lineup crap is dumb. Not to mention that Cohen has been very consistent this season.

There's no way you played baseball if you believe that. Batting in the position you are comfortable hitting in, behind the guy you are comfortable hitting behind- is a huge part of baseball. Baseball is such a mental game and repetition. Its just a different feel batting 2nd, or 4th, or 6th, or 8th....

Taog Redloh
03-11-2016, 11:23 AM
I think it's difficult to criticize particular lineups, in-game calls, etc because, as fans, we simply don't know all the factors involved. However, I would say that there are few things that are concerning.
This is about the only true thing in this post.

1. Most of our players seem to have great summers, but stink in season. Renfroe & Hudson both found themselves in the Summer before coming back to have good JR years. That & other instances lead me to believe the culture around the program is uptight, & not conducive for kids playing relaxed and too their potential.
Or, it could be that those players finally matured. This is not due to Cohen or any other coach. It is widely accepted that players get their reps in summer ball and 'break out'. It's not specific to MSU. This is an instance of where some of you guys simply do not know what you're talking about. Do you think that no other team in America sees this pattern? Tweet Kendall Rogers or Aaron Fitt and see what they say.

2. Other than a month stretch two years ago, Cohen's teams seem to rarely play well. It doesn't mean they are bad, but they are a little like LSU in football or Muschamp's Florida teams. They just rarely play to their potential. Conversely, when you look a lesser talented team like Ole miss, they seem to always play well, & when you look at similarly talented teams like Louisville & LSU, they also seem to usually play well.
For most of Cohen's tenure, his teams have OVER achieved considering their talent, not the other way around. And considering how hard it is to recruit and retain talent with the scholarship limitations in a state with no free schollies to give, we have not been as talented as you say, until this year. And this year isn't over.

Seriously, how do you form your opinions? Show me all of this 'super talent' we have had? 2015 sucked, yes. It was an anomaly but many of you throw out his entire tenure based on one season.

I say all this to say that teams can win because they despise their head coach & come together for a common goal, due to that, or because they love their head coach & play fast & relaxed. However, I believe Cohen is caught in between & his players play like they are caught in-between. Hesitant
You are over-thinking.

CarolinaDawgs
03-11-2016, 12:10 PM

Joe Maddon took a team to the world series with 142 different lineups.

Bully13
03-11-2016, 12:27 PM
There's no way you played baseball if you believe that. Batting in the position you are comfortable hitting in, behind the guy you are comfortable hitting behind- is a huge part of baseball. Baseball is such a mental game and repetition. Its just a different feel batting 2nd, or 4th, or 6th, or 8th....

This

Homedawg
03-11-2016, 12:46 PM

That's sort of true. We did play the same 9 guys. We just didn't play the same 9 in the same batting order. The whole batting order thing is bs. Guy has to be in the same spot everyday is hogwash. That's a ***** looking for an excuse for failing.
Eta, yes there is a difference between the 2 hole and 8 spot how you get pitched. But going from 8-9 or 6-7 etc makes no difference.

Tbonewannabe
03-11-2016, 01:06 PM

I went from batting 7th to batting 4th in high school because the coach moved the guy from 6th to 4th and he shit the bed. The guy was a good hitter but when he started hitting 4th his swing went to shit. Coach finally figured out halfway through the year that I did well hitting 4th and I stayed the rest of the year. I didn't care where I was hitting but obviously it affected the other guy.

Coach34
03-11-2016, 01:16 PM
Robson batted in every spot of the batting order last year. That's beyond ridiculous

maroonmania
03-11-2016, 01:26 PM
I think its just the overall burning desire by Cohen to overmanage and meddle with everything that is concerning in a sport where players need to be in a rhythm and routine to feel comfortable and confident in their responsibilities. I mean the lineup thing is bad enough but what bothers me even more is the musical chairs in the infield. Choose a freakin' 2b, SS and 3b and let them play and play in those select positions about 90% of the time unless someone is just playing lousy making errors or needs a break. I think moving people around willy nilly from one position on the infield to the other, or from the outfield to the infield or whatever just causes too many fielders to be thinking about what to do in their "position of the day" rather than just innately KNOWING what to do out of routine and repetition. Also, the chemistry between infielders on double plays and positioning gets a little lost. I don't know that I've ever seen a coach juggle positions in the field like Cohen does EVER.

dawgday166
03-11-2016, 02:15 PM

I tend to agree with all of this. Day-to-day lineups should be fairly stable IMO (especially as to fielding positions) but in-game stuff it's hard to say sometimes.

If you start 13 - 0 then lose 18 of last 21 games, which is probably in the bottom 10 of all time collapses in baseball, then it probably ain't the players. Or ... it is, but the players have quit for some reason, it ain't the talent. That's when I tend to think it's the coaching staff.

It ain't always the "sorry ass" players fault like some always assume it is.

dawgday166
03-11-2016, 02:21 PM

Yes ^^^ this.

This applies even more so to fielding positions. Anyone who says players should "nut up" and take over a position ... the wording of that implies a football mentality more than a baseball mentality. The predominant (normal) mindset for baseball isn't this. There may be an exception here or there, but it's not the norm.

I played both and my mindset was completely different for each.

PMDawg
03-11-2016, 04:40 PM
This is about the only true thing in this post.

Or, it could be that those players finally matured. This is not due to Cohen or any other coach. It is widely accepted that players get their reps in summer ball and 'break out'. It's not specific to MSU. This is an instance of where some of you guys simply do not know what you're talking about. Do you think that no other team in America sees this pattern? Tweet Kendall Rogers or Aaron Fitt and see what they say.

For most of Cohen's tenure, his teams have OVER achieved considering their talent, not the other way around. And considering how hard it is to recruit and retain talent with the scholarship limitations in a state with no free schollies to give, we have not been as talented as you say, until this year. And this year isn't over.

Seriously, how do you form your opinions? Show me all of this 'super talent' we have had? 2015 sucked, yes. It was an anomaly but many of you throw out his entire tenure based on one season.

You are over-thinking.

Our players consistently do well in summer leagues only to come back and play worse for MSU. It's a common theme every year. there's definitely something to that.

Taog Redloh
03-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Our players consistently do well in summer leagues only to come back and play worse for MSU. It's a common theme every year. there's definitely something to that.
Name those guys, over the past couple of years. Since you say they consistently do it, I assume you can find some from each of 2012-2015.

BB30
03-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Would like to point out from playing in summer leagues, the mindset is completely different. Everything is laid back and wins while important aren't necessarily a must. Kids go to summer leagues as stated earlier to get a bunch of innings or reps. Same thing with fall ball it is all a kid's mindset and if he can handle the pressure when it truly matters. A lot of it is maturity but some kids who have unbelievable raw talent just can't for whatever reason put it together on the field. This team is already showing a little more fight than last years. It is very tough when everything starts hitting the fan in baseball to turn it around and I believe that is what happened last year, I don't think we will see that this year. Cohen over manages to an extent but not nearly to the extent some people think. I think last year he was looking for someone to step up and nobody did.