PDA

View Full Version : Since 1999 when the regional process changed....

Coach34
03-10-2016, 12:06 AM
and attendance was no longer factored into hosting a regional- we have hosted 3 Regionals in 16 seasons.

Cohen is the only Coach to finish higher than 4th in the SEC- 3rd in 2014.

The 1900's ending has taken its toll on State baseball

BeardoMSU
03-10-2016, 12:31 AM
Yup, pretty humbling. And we're supposedly a "baseball school", lol.

Bothrops
03-10-2016, 01:26 AM
We haven't really been a baseball school since those days, honestly. I hope the efforts we're making will inspire students and younger fans to develop a passion for the program going forward.

Mjoelner34
03-10-2016, 08:35 AM
We haven't really been a baseball school since those days, honestly. I hope the efforts we're making will inspire students and younger fans to develop a passion for the program going forward.

Actually we haven't been a baseball school since Polk helped kill the Saturday double headers.

1bigdawg
03-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Actually we haven't been a baseball school since Polk helped kill the Saturday double headers.

A tragedy.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-10-2016, 09:14 AM
Very low ROI for MSU baseball. MSU should have an elite program with the amount of money / fan support for a relatively minor college sport.

32 Dive
03-10-2016, 09:40 AM
#TitleIX #11.7 #HopeScholarships #StackedDeck <<< Soon to be applied hashtags

Liverpooldawg
03-10-2016, 09:41 AM
Our baseball program has a mythical status among our fans. The reality is we have never really been a top tier program. We have had a few moments but we have been for the most part a solid second tier program with amazing fan support.

HSVDawg
03-10-2016, 09:56 AM
and attendance was no longer factored into hosting a regional- we have hosted 3 Regionals in 16 seasons.

Cohen is the only Coach to finish higher than 4th in the SEC- 3rd in 2014.

The 1900's ending has taken its toll on State baseball

I'll see you that and raise you the fact that we haven't won an SEC title or even a Western division title in baseball since 1991. We have actually come closer to winning the SEC title in football on three different occasions than we ever have in baseball (while winning one division title in the process) over that same time period. Given our football history, that ought to speak volumes. The previous great run we had from the late 80's to early 90's was very much spurred on by building the current DNF and selling that to guys throughout the region, even though we had some great teams before that. We really need to get the new stadium going ASAP.

Mjoelner34
03-10-2016, 10:08 AM
We really need to get the new stadium going ASAP.

^^^THIS^^^

To me, the worst thing that could happen to us would be to tank this year and postpone the stadium while others are making improvements and getting that much further ahead. Meanwhile, we're stuck with a losing program in a stadium that was state of the art a decade before the people playing there were even born. Whether they like Cohen or not, I just hope the baseball cigar boys feel that way. Cohen can still be given the ultimatum get good or get gone without affecting stadium construction.

Taog Redloh
03-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Our baseball program has a mythical status among our fans. The reality is we have never really been a top tier program. We have had a few moments but we have been for the most part a solid second tier program with amazing fan support.
This is true. I did a little meaningless analysis a year or so ago, based on CWS appearances and titles won. Essentially we are a top 20 program historically, but nowhere near one of the elites.

We have simply GOT to get that national title.

Taog Redloh
03-10-2016, 12:14 PM
3 things killed us:

1) Failing to bring home hardware in 1984 or 1985, and the following uptick (1988-1990) that resulted
2) Killing the Saturday double-headers
3) Polk's chase of the NCAA coupled with Templeton's enabling of that

1 failed to cement us as an elite program. 2 hurt our attendance/spectacle and 3 finished us off and also allowed Ole Miss to recruit their way to high-level status around 2003.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
03-10-2016, 07:23 PM
3 things killed us:

1) Failing to bring home hardware in 1984 or 1985, and the following uptick (1988-1990) that resulted
2) Killing the Saturday double-headers
3) Polk's chase of the NCAA coupled with Templeton's enabling of that

1 failed to cement us as an elite program. 2 hurt our attendance/spectacle and 3 finished us off and also allowed Ole Miss to recruit their way to high-level status around 2003.

No mention of Polk only recruiting guys that attended his camps?

Coach34
03-10-2016, 07:49 PM

Dont get me started. I'm still pissed off about him and Raffo on that

Taog Redloh
03-10-2016, 07:53 PM

That's part of #3. Ask all those boys from Hillcrest

State82
03-10-2016, 08:54 PM
A
Essentially we are a top 20 program historically, but nowhere near one of the elites.

This pretty much sums it up. A succinct description of MSU baseball.