PDA

View Full Version : WBB Bracketolgy has us going to FSU even though we are ranked higher in AP

blacklistedbully
03-09-2016, 03:44 PM
Admittedly, I haven't looked at SOS, RPI, etc, etc. But it appears Miss. State and Michigan State are the only 2 teams who are going to have to travel to a team we each finished higher than in the AP. At least according to Charlie Creme, and he is usually spot on with his predictions.

Sure would like to host.http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

engie
03-09-2016, 03:49 PM
Rpi....

Lost 2 games this year we couldn't afford to lose and host

maroonmania
03-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Yep, no matter what sport RPI always seems to kick us in the butt. Finished ahead of KY in the SEC but they will host because they have an RPI of 12 where we are sitting at 21. Of course KY wiped us out when we played head to head so can't argue too much.

blacklistedbully
03-09-2016, 03:55 PM
FSU lost 3 of their last 5, 2 losses by double-digits, including their first ACC Tourney game 18-point loss to #21 Miami. And that Miami team was one of the 2 narrow wins they got in the last 5 games, the other being a 4-point win over unranked NC State.

Doesn't seem right FSU should get the host over us, does it?

FSU's RPI is just 6 spots higher. Is that really enough to overcome the way they shit-the-bed at the end?

Conversely we won 5 straight going into the SEC final.

TheRef
03-09-2016, 04:00 PM
The Mizzou loss is the killer. That's the huge blemish on our record, and Vic will say that to your face if you get him off the record. If that loss to Mizzou had been closer, I think we would be hosting.

blacklistedbully
03-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Rpi....

Lost 2 games this year we couldn't afford to lose and host

That aTm loss was a killer.

blacklistedbully
03-09-2016, 04:10 PM
And if we manage to win the Tallahassee regional, we'd get the pleasure of taking on UConn at UConn in the next round (barring any unforseen miracle).

BurgDawg
03-09-2016, 07:34 PM
And if we manage to win the Tallahassee regional, we'd get the pleasure of taking on UConn at UConn in the next round (barring any unforseen miracle).

65% chance of hosting

djaymsu5
03-09-2016, 11:55 PM

Talk about getting the shaft.

messageboardsuperhero
03-10-2016, 12:20 AM
I'm very disappointed it has taken us this long to adjust to the importance of RPI and scheduling in basketball. Baseball seems to have FINALLY gotten it now- after the philosophy really should have changed a couple of years ago.

I think Howland is going to have us playing really good OOC schedules in the coming years, and Schaefer should be having his wake up call now... Although he really should have recognized this issue after last year.

Dawg61
03-10-2016, 12:54 AM
Good thing this is just a bracketology

dickiedawg
03-10-2016, 07:20 AM
He justified FSU over is on Twitter by saying the committee really rewards good non conference schedules and ours was hot garbage outside of one or two games.
He also talked about our losses being worse than theirs.

t45fixer
03-10-2016, 07:23 AM
No hosting for us if we were the top seed. That rag that's still flying over our state will assure that.

TheRef
03-10-2016, 09:21 AM
No hosting for us if we were the top seed. That rag that's still flying over our state will assure that.

Wrong. We don't have the flag in the Hump, therefore they can't pull that excuse. They just don't want it on TV.

t45fixer
03-10-2016, 01:53 PM
Are you stupid? We can't host because of it

DancingRabbit
03-10-2016, 02:21 PM

I don't think that's the case.

Nothing has changed with the NCAA since we hosted a baseball regional in 2013.

confucius say
03-10-2016, 02:24 PM

Wrong. That rule only applies to predetermined host sites, meaning those determined before the season.

engie
03-10-2016, 02:28 PM

Someone should tell the baseball team

Political Hack
03-10-2016, 02:47 PM
I'm just happy Coach Vic has fans talking about WBB. Pretty cool that were good enough to be relevant, and this is just the beginning. We'll be better next year.

notsofarawaydawg
03-10-2016, 04:26 PM
I think our attendance figures will maybe help us host. The average at home was 5044 for 16 games. FSU averaged 3141 at home in 16 games. The NCAA is all about butts in seats and dollars in their bank account.

Tbonewannabe
03-10-2016, 04:57 PM
Someone should tell the baseball team

We don't host in baseball any more. Less pressure to play in front of smaller crowds.

TheRef
03-10-2016, 07:01 PM
The only reason they told everyone to take down the Mississippi flag when we were hosting was because the NCAA had TV rights. They said that if we didn't take down the flags, then none of the games would be televised. Of course we want the games to be televised, so we complied. The Mississippi flag is nowhere inside the Hump. Therefore, no reason for us not to be able to host a basketball tournament in the Hump.

t45fixer
03-10-2016, 10:33 PM
Mississippi can host NCAA postseason events that are not pre-selected such as baseball or softball regionals, but sports such as basketball and golf are off limits.http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippistatesports/2015/07/09/mississippi--lone-state-under-ncaa-postseason-ban/29928683/

TheRef
03-10-2016, 10:38 PM
Mississippi can host NCAA postseason events that are not pre-selected such as baseball or softball regionals, but sports such as basketball and golf are off limits.http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippistatesports/2015/07/09/mississippi--lone-state-under-ncaa-postseason-ban/29928683/

Pre-selected as in a hosting location for a MEN'S regional location as these are set beforehand. Baseball and softball are all about seeding. Just like Women's Basketball is about seeding. Men's basketball, however, are never hosted at a home court of one of the participants.

dickiedawg
03-11-2016, 12:30 PM
It could play a small role but I doubt it's even considered.
Honestly, though, averaging 5k+ is pretty impressive. I doubt we did that during Ray's tenure (though I'm sure we reported more than that due to season ticket sales)