PDA

View Full Version : South Alabama baseball thoughts

Todd4State
03-09-2016, 01:07 AM
First of all, this was a potentially nice win. It's the kind that might make a difference in seeding later on down the road possibly- USA has a legit ace that I think is going to win them a lot of games in the Sun Belt. They also completely kicked 11-2 USM's ass last week during the midweek.

Which is why- even though it worked- I disagree with throwing our freshmen pitchers out there like it was Alcorn. It was just really risky IMO. If he wants to do that against Alcorn, or any of the other OOC opponents other than Memphis, USM, or Ole Miss that's fine. And on that point, I would have liked to have seen Breaux go a little deeper only like an inning or two more and then bring in Small, and then finish the game up.

And to be fair, there were some good things that did indeed come out of pitching like we did- Beaux at least looks to be about where Daniel Brown is at worst and Ethan Small stole the show. Noah Hughes got hit a little bit- but that was after Collins misplayed a ball again which extended the inning. Cyr looked OK. But the other thing that really excited me was seeing Zac Houston mow their guys down in the 8th. He's building up as a relief guy now- he got out of a big jam against USC and then he did start off with two walks but I think a lot of that was losing his concentration because he didn't get a call. If Zac steps up and becomes another force out of the bullpen for us, we are going to be really, really deep. Blake Smith looked dominant. We need to try to continue to build up and extend Breaux and Small- unless Sexton and Brown straighten up. Rigby pitched better too- other than the balk. Pilkington is looking better as well.

I thought we hit the ball pretty well after looking like kaka in the first few innings. Gavin's first home run really got us jump started, and then it was great to see Rooker come off the bench after he has been struggling come up with a huge double that put us ahead for good. We did a good job manufacturing a run with small ball and then Gavin knocked them out for good. Hopefully he keeps it up. I feel bad for Reid getting a home run stolen from him. Last year, we hit 22 home runs on the entire season. Right now we are at 8.

Marrero made a heck of a play throwing one of their baserunners out. He's going to be legit.

Collins made his typical misplay which again cost us runs- and we need Kruger to move back behind the plate ASAP so that we can put either Humphreys or Alexander there. We probably shut them out had it not been for that play.

Cody Brown did Cody Brown things even though he didn't get a hit- he had three walks, a stolen base and scored a run.

We have our most difficult pre SEC test next up in Oregon- weather permitting. It's a good chance to make some noise and it should get us ready for SEC play if nothing else. We need Sexton and Brown to really step it up. I'm guessing we'll see Breaux and Small start the midweek games next week and then SEC play starts.

dawgday166
03-09-2016, 06:03 AM
It was a good win. Having said that, it's painful for me to watch a game that Cohen is managing. Different lineup everyday with players in different positions. Every play in the field or at bat is an adventure. Routine plays don't seem to be very routine. The only thing we consistently do really well for most part is bunt. I'm not very optimistic right now ... we'll see. It is obvious to me there is talent on this team tho. Maybe they'll overcome Cohen trying to manage every baseball game like he's trying to cure cancer using nuclear physics.

msstate7
03-09-2016, 07:33 AM
Breaux getting pulled after 2 ip could've been to use him this weekend at some point.

beretta
03-09-2016, 07:57 AM
i like how he used a lot of Fr pitchers to get experience, but if you have a Fr pitcher who is finding his groove, let him feed on that groove....im referencing Ethan Small.....he will be a future weekend starter imo.....guy just shows so much confidence and poise on the mound....he should have been left in the game to feed on the momentum and get even better.....

this team is going to lose some games.....bc of cohen, bc of youth.....i think that they will peak for a late season run and get stronger as the season goes on....post season should be fun....I really love our lineup (even with the changes)....i expect Marrero to get better at the plate as the season goes on.....im not as big of a fan of Cody Brown as some of you....i cringe and pray every time he is at the plate....

CarolinaDawgs
03-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Big W. This team has some fight that last years didn't. Makes a world of difference.

K9 Avenger
03-09-2016, 10:07 AM
It was a good win. Having said that, it's painful for me to watch a game that Cohen is managing. Different lineup everyday with players in different positions. Every play in the field or at bat is an adventure. Routine plays don't seem to be very routine. The only thing we consistently do really well for most part is bunt. I'm not very optimistic right now ... we'll see. It is obvious to me there is talent on this team tho. Maybe they'll overcome Cohen trying to manage every baseball game like he's trying to cure cancer using nuclear physics.

Broken record....wash, rinse, repeat....beat the dead horse....this board is almost unreadable during baseball season.....too many agenda driven posters

Jack Lambert
03-09-2016, 10:12 AM

I don't have a problem moving folks around to find the right mix going into the SEC season but it was either last year or the year before Cohen said in an interview that if they were not doing it that year they would have won a few more games. You don't lose games that way. You play the best guys you have and win at all cost.

engie
03-09-2016, 10:15 AM

Let me guess -- you also want Lowe to move down the lineup and Collins on the bench.

engie
03-09-2016, 10:17 AM
I don't have a problem moving folks around to find the right mix going into the SEC season but it was either last year or the year before Cohen said in an interview that if they were not doing it that year they would have won a few more games. You don't lose games that way. You play the best guys you have and win at all cost.

Cool. Who are the best guys we have? Not quite as easy as you imply is it?

You've got to figure that out -- with clear separation beyond a shadow of a doubt -- before you can play them every day. Before you even talk about who is the best situationally.

Political Hack
03-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Was good to see them come back after a poor start, take control, and win the game comfortably. I liked the line up and if Collins is going to give us 3+ RBI a game you have to take the risk of having him at 3rd. What you can't do is allow errors at other spots when you have him in. A 2-base throwing error from SS can't happen in close games, especially when you have a defensive liability at 3rd.

I like using a lot of arms mid-week so almost everyone could go this weekend if needed, but you could tell Hughes was struggling a little early and they got him out fast. Getting a runner on and then giving up a bomb with 2-outs is rough, but it happens. He was throwing good enough up until that point. Just unraveled fast.

engie
03-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Broken record....wash, rinse, repeat....beat the dead horse....this board is almost unreadable during baseball season.....too many agenda driven posters

Yep. It went from a great baseball discussion board to a total crap shoot sometime in the past two years. To be fair, it's Cohen's fault for not keeping his foot firmly on the neck of the faction of the fanbase that is now so vocal again(I'd bet it's largely the same vocal dissenters from the first couple of seasons to a very large extent -- aka "Polk" guys with new usernames). He had them beaten into submission -- he just didn't keep them there.

That said, there are a dozen or so truly excellent baseball posters here. That's what keeps me coming back and reading.

msstate7
03-09-2016, 10:23 AM
My lineup vs Oregon (all lh starters, I believe)...

Robson cf
Gridley 2b
Kruger dh
Collins 3b
Rooker rf
Hump LF
Lowe 1b
Marrero c
Alexander SS

engie
03-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Was good to see them come back after a poor start, take control, and win the game comfortably. I liked the line up and if Collins is going to give us 3+ RBI a game you have to take the risk of having him at 3rd. What you can't do is allow errors at other spots when you have him in. A 2-base throwing error from SS can't happen in close games, especially when you have a defensive liability at 3rd.

I like using a lot of arms mid-week so almost everyone could go this weekend if needed, but you could tell Hughes was struggling a little early and they got him out fast. Getting a runner on and then giving up a bomb with 2-outs is rough, but it happens. He was throwing good enough up until that point. Just unraveled fast.

IMO, Hughes has really good stuff. His off-speed pitches are electric. He's just not there mentally yet.

Blake Smith has the mentality on the back end that we have sorely missed ever since Holder. I love his approach. Did we give up a single hit after Hughes left the game?

msstate7
03-09-2016, 10:27 AM
IMO, Hughes has really good stuff. His off-speed pitches are electric. He's just not there mentally yet.

Blake Smith has the mentality on the back end that we have sorely missed ever since Holder. I love his approach. Did we give up a single hit after Hughes left the game?

Smith...

1 ip 3 batters faced 3 k

BB30
03-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Baseball is such a different sport. Everything has to come together to really have a strong season. You can't just out athlete people like you can in football and basketball. You have to find the guys early in the year that you can count on at the end. I don't see a problem with moving people around and seeing some young arms during a midweek game. Just because a kid can run a 6.6 60 or hit 96 on a gun does in no way shape or form mean he will be an asset to the team. Cohen has his faults but this team has a chance to be very good.

dawgday166
03-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Let me guess -- you also want Lowe to move down the lineup and Collins on the bench.

No ... I don't. I want to stick with them, stay with a consistent lineup and see how it works over a decent amount of time. My main thing is I don't want to give up runs due to errors and mental mistakes. I like rock solid D and will trade some to get a really good bat in the lineup maybe. I don't think Collins should be moved all over the place .. play him at 3rd everyday and leave him there.

Like I've said previously, I cannot think of a really good team that has moved people at random all over the infield all the time. I'd also stick with a pretty consistent batting order for a period of time too.

Homedawg
03-09-2016, 10:34 AM
Yep. It went from a great baseball discussion board to a total crap shoot sometime in the past two years. To be fair, it's Cohen's fault for not keeping his foot firmly on the neck of the faction of the fanbase that is now so vocal again(I'd bet it's largely the same vocal dissenters from the first couple of seasons to a very large extent -- aka "Polk" guys with new usernames). He had them beaten into submission -- he just didn't keep them there.

That said, there are a dozen or so truly excellent baseball posters here. That's what keeps me coming back and reading.

Good post.

dawgday166
03-09-2016, 10:35 AM
Look at Cohen's lineup during 2013 Tournament run. Same every day 1-6 or 7 or so. Same infield. Look at Vandy & Florida and their lineups this year.

Tbonewannabe
03-09-2016, 10:38 AM

Does him along with everyone else moving all over the infield increase errors? Every position is different so Cohen constantly moving someone around can only hurt us defensively. I understand if he is still trying to figure out where Alexander, Gridley, and Stovall should play but Collins should be either at 3rd or in the outfield unless he has to catch. He should take most of his reps at 3rd to get comfortable.

Dallas_Dawg
03-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Most folks on here say they want Kruger behind the plate. Has anyone seen him catch? Is he a legit catcher?
And if he isn't healthy enough now to be back there, I don't see him being back there at all this year. He would have to knock the rust off in SEC play and I don't see Cohen doing that.

EAVdog
03-09-2016, 10:44 AM
It is a good win, they have a good team this year.

But I was sweating it expecting us to screw it up.

HoopsDawg
03-09-2016, 10:47 AM
Does him along with everyone else moving all over the infield increase errors? Every position is different so Cohen constantly moving someone around can only hurt us defensively. I understand if he is still trying to figure out where Alexander, Gridley, and Stovall should play but Collins should be either at 3rd or in the outfield unless he has to catch. He should take most of his reps at 3rd to get comfortable.

Didn't Collins work some at 1B last year?

I would look at:

Robson, CF
Brown, LF
Kruger, DH
Rooker, RF
Collins, 1B
Humphreys, 3B
Stovall, 2B
Marrero, C
Alexander, SS

Thick
03-09-2016, 10:56 AM
I won't lie to any of you. I can't keep up with who plays where on the infield, but I do like our pitching staff, old and especially young (great talent). I do like our offensive potential. This team seems to have the most upside potential 1-9 then any team that Cohen has fielded since arriving to Vegas. Am I wrong in my assessment? I do agree that JC does micro manage too much, but that's just my opinion.

I love to read this board during baseball season, because we do have several good baseball minds on this board.

TimberBeast
03-09-2016, 10:59 AM

This is exactly how I feel watching Mullen coach our football team. A clusterf*** that doesn't have to be that way.

Jacksondevildog
03-09-2016, 11:01 AM
I hate to break it to you all, but Kruger is probably not going to catch a lot this year. Marrero will be your catcher. Cohen would rather take defense behind the plate than offense. That may mean that we have a hole at third-base defensively. Third base has been a lost position for Mississippi State baseball since he has been our coach.

HSVDawg
03-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Good thoughts as usual Todd. Overall, I'm OK with where we are 3 weeks in. Taking 2 of 3 this weekend (or maybe even just 1 of 2 if weather is an issue) would be monumental for this team's confidence heading into SEC play. My initial eye test tells me that this team is going to be fine. Maybe not "CWS" fine or "hosting a regional" fine, but at worst a solid 2-seed and a team that should be dangerous at year's end, which will obviously be a big upgrade from last year.

The thing I really hate as far as our schedule is concerned is that we had a really impressive nonconference slate, but we are starting to lose some of those games off the schedule. The tie against OU hurts us because in terms of the RPI calculation, it will be like that game was never even played. Then we have the possible weather issues this weekend which could hurt us even more in terms of getting resume-building games in prior to conference play. Obviously all the weather stuff is beyond our control, but it still sucks.

engie
03-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Look at Cohen's lineup during 2013 Tournament run. Same every day 1-6 or 7 or so. Same infield. Look at Vandy & Florida and their lineups this year.

So, the "consistent" lineup is what it was that made us good in 2013?

This is the dumbest thing ever. The lineup was consistent in 2013 -- because guys did their jobs, earned their roles, put on their big-boy pants in big-boy games, and were the clear-cut best option for their spot. And make no mistake -- there was INCESSANT lineup and position bitching in 2013 as well. Sit Pirtle!11!1 Where is Porter?1?11 Detz to 2B!!!1! Norris to 3B!1! FLAIR to 3B or Dh!11! Pirtle in the 4-hole can't protect Renfroe!11!1 Get CT out of there!11!1 Just among the offensive/defensive stuff that I remember.

engie
03-09-2016, 11:17 AM
This team seems to have the most upside potential 1-9 then any team that Cohen has fielded since arriving to Vegas. Am I wrong in my assessment?

Arguably, you are correct. The best of the post-BBCOR era for sure.

The first couple Cohen teams absolutely mashed -- but no one was there to see it because the pitching staff was left in such disaster. That was a different era of college baseball though.

This is what people didn't realize when they freaked out the first couple of times we struggled against elite pitching -- there is a lot of inexperience among these guys. They think just because Kruger acclimated immediately that everyone should -- when it just doesn't work that way.

engie
03-09-2016, 11:19 AM
I hate to break it to you all, but Kruger is probably not going to catch a lot this year. Marrero will be your catcher. Cohen would rather take defense behind the plate than offense. That may mean that we have a hole at third-base defensively. Third base has been a lost position for Mississippi State baseball since he has been our coach.

Pretty sure Kruger is an elite defender behind the dish as well -- but that is strictly second-hand info.

I'm fine with Marrero back there. What's the problem? All this hand wringing -- to get another bat into a lineup -- that I'm not at all sure will end up being superior to Marrero by the time the season is over.

dawgday166
03-09-2016, 11:33 AM

This is the dumbest thing ever. The lineup was consistent in 2013 -- because guys did their jobs, earned their roles, put on their big-boy pants in big-boy games, and were the clear-cut best option for their spot. And make no mistake -- there was INCESSANT lineup and position bitching in 2013 as well. Sit Pirtle!11!1 Where is Porter?1?11 Detz to 2B!!!1! Norris to 3B!1! FLAIR to 3B or Dh!11! Pirtle in the 4-hole can't protect Renfroe!11!1 Get CT out of there!11!1 Just among the offensive/defensive stuff that I remember.

I wasn't one of those bitching. I'm new to the board. I'm just saying that I personally cannot think of a really good team that kept the same folks in the lineup and moved their positions all over the place. Alexander, Gridley, Stovall, & Collins have all played multiple infield positions. I think that hurts your defense. I believe ball players like to "own" a position for the most part. I don't know why you'd play Alexander at SS, Gridley at 2nd one day, then Alexander at 3rd, Gridley at SS the next. Hard to develop consistency this way. JMO.

I don't get in the batting order discussions cause there could be many ways to tackle that problem. Some of that depends on a given philosophy too, although dependent on the available personnel. I do think that 1-7 should be fairly consistent tho. I also think that something should be stuck with for a period of time to see how it works. Saying someone is batting .250 now isn't necessarily indicative of how they will bat over the whole season. I'm sorta assuming Cohen has a feel for how each player handle the bat, the type of hitter they are, how much power they have, etc.

Jacksondevildog
03-09-2016, 11:35 AM
I think you are right about Kruger being good behind the plate, but two weeks ago, Cohen said that he could not toss the ball to a teammate. I doubt he will be a 1.85 guy anytime this year. I could be wrong. I think Marrero behind the dish and Kruger as DH is fine with me. If Collins keeps hitting, he can field at third with Kroger bag and I'll be fine. We are solid everywhere else on the diamond.

dawgday166
03-09-2016, 11:35 AM
This is exactly how I feel watching Mullen coach our football team. A clusterf*** that doesn't have to be that way.

Sometimes I'm with you on that one too LOL.

BrunswickDawg
03-09-2016, 11:46 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that. Cohen has never settled a lineup until SEC play, and even then he is willing to go with a hot hand or a hunch. The issue with 2014 & 2015 was that because no one would step up and win roles, Cohen had to keep juggling to try and spark something. It worked more in 2014 enough to get us in a regional, but blew up in 2015.

Backwoodsdawg
03-09-2016, 11:52 AM
I think you are right about Kruger being good behind the plate, but two weeks ago, Cohen said that he could not toss the ball to a teammate. I doubt he will be a 1.85 guy anytime this year. I could be wrong. I think Marrero behind the dish and Kruger as DH is fine with me. If Collins keeps hitting, he can field at third with Kroger bag and I'll be fine. We are solid everywhere else on the diamond.

Kruger is very good behind the plate. His arm has been getting worked every single day and he is throwing hard again. Cohen actually said last week he could be ready by last night or by the Oregon series, and if Collins keeps making an error every game like he HAS, although we don't score it that way, and it cost us several series in the SEC where runs will be a rarity then you will be ready to trade that Kroger bag with a whole in it in!

engie
03-09-2016, 11:55 AM
I wasn't one of those bitching. I'm new to the board. I'm just saying that I personally cannot think of a really good team that kept the same folks in the lineup and moved their positions all over the place.
Yeah -- they are REALLY GOOD teams for a reason. They have really good players. When you have really good players, you let them do their thing and don't mess with them. What guy has quantified himself for absolute certain as a really good player on this team has been mishandled in your opinion? The top of the lineup has been far more consistent at this point than it was at the same point in 2013. But guys do NOT become really good players BECAUSE you didn't mess with them. Your whole argument on this is cart before the horse on this IMO.

Alexander, Gridley, Stovall, & Collins have all played multiple infield positions. I think that hurts your defense. I believe ball players like to "own" a position for the most part. I don't know why you'd play Alexander at SS, Gridley at 2nd one day, then Alexander at 3rd, Gridley at SS the next. Hard to develop consistency this way. JMO.
How would you go about handing over "ownership" of these positions to these players -- without giving them all a shot first allowing the cream to rise? Just take the Polk approach -- and whoever you recruited hardest in high school basically gets that spot for 4 years? We are trying to find the best player for each individual spot and your best mix. Different teams require different approaches. You want Alexander at 3rd if you are playing a small-ball team because he's quicker, has better instincts, and has the makings of an elite utility defender. It improves your infield defense but weakens your offense. You want Collins at 3rd for his bat as long as he isn't a total liability over there. Which, in the end, he is going to be OK there. He's going to end up better over there than Frost, Detz, Norris, and Reynolds. Yes, there have been growing pains. It's all situational. While I don't agree with the extent that Cohen takes it some times -- it is certainly not nearly as simple as the faction of our fanbase doing the most complaining tries to present it.

I don't get in the batting order discussions cause there could be many ways to tackle that problem. Some of that depends on a given philosophy too, although dependent on the available personnel. I do think that 1-7 should be fairly consistent tho. I also think that something should be stuck with for a period of time to see how it works. Saying someone is batting .250 now isn't necessarily indicative of how they will bat over the whole season. I'm sorta assuming Cohen has a feel for how each player handle the bat, the type of hitter they are, how much power they have, etc.
So, if you are basically saying that you are going to trust him in the aspect of the game we've been mostly sub-par in his tenure -- why not also trust him in the aspect that has been far above average(overall team defense)?

I think a lot of MSU fans get caught up looking at this stuff in a vacuum. They lose perspective on stuff. Again -- Cohen does stuff that is annoying, sure. We haven't had a true 3B since Parks left. They have all been half-rights(could hit or defend but not do both). We've been bad at catcher the past few years. Also annoying. Our baserunning has never been good. Our outfield footwork is terrible. I could go on -- but it's pointless. All little stuff that almost always adds up to zero in the scheme of things.

tcdog70
03-09-2016, 11:56 AM
i think JC needs a big thumbs up for Signing Ethan Small who was once a Vandy Commit. Small played on an elite Memphis travel team. He has a BIG arm and He pitches with an attitude. He is the real deal. I am impressed with the win considering our best Hitter had a bad night. If Kruger had been hitting we would have had an early lead. Thanks Collins for stepping up, please keep it up. Collins, Rooker and Kruger playing up to their potential and Our Pitching staff dealing will make for a fun year. Just everyone get off Cohen's ass and let the season play out.

engie
03-09-2016, 12:01 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that. Cohen has never settled a lineup until SEC play, and even then he is willing to go with a hot hand or a hunch. The issue with 2014 & 2015 was that because no one would step up and win roles, Cohen had to keep juggling to try and spark something. It worked more in 2014 enough to get us in a regional, but blew up in 2015.

Exactly. The problem with the 2014 team was a lack of nuts. Could be seen very early on.

The problem with the 2015 was in-fighting and a lack of nuts plus the ball change. It didn't really manifest itself until the first adversity hit.

We'll see on 2016 -- but I love the apparent mental makeup of the vast majority of our freshmen both on the hill and at the plate. It's the juniors that are going to make/break us -- and for the most part I still can't bring myself to fully trust those guys yet. But a lot of guys do flip the switch in their 3rd year for us. Hope that happens -- and if it does -- it could turn into a truly special season.

Political Hack
03-09-2016, 12:04 PM

I'm a reps and rhythm guy. I think guys play better when they get into a groove, so if like to see it more stabilized. That said, he's developing a lot of guys right now and that could be huge come tournament time. His system and subs are built towards winning in the post-season. Last year it may have cost us a birth, but if we get in with a decent seed we're going to be a very difficult out.

Coach34
03-09-2016, 12:05 PM

Marrero is a future All-SEC catcher. Best I've seen as a Fr in awhile- and yeah, don't look for Kruger to catch much

msstate7
03-09-2016, 12:05 PM
Exactly. The problem with the 2014 team was a lack of nuts. Could be seen very early on.

The problem with the 2015 was in-fighting and a lack of nuts plus the ball change. It didn't really manifest itself until the first adversity hit.

We'll see on 2016 -- but I love the apparent mental makeup of the vast majority of our freshmen both on the hill and at the plate. It's the juniors that are going to make/break us -- and for the most part I still can't bring myself to fully trust those guys yet. But a lot of guys do flip the switch in their 3rd year for us. Hope that happens -- and if it does -- it could turn into a truly special season.

Yep. I think we'll go as far as Hudson and sexton can take us... They have to be good, not decent

Political Hack
03-09-2016, 12:10 PM
i think JC needs a big thumbs up for Signing Ethan Small who was once a Vandy Commit. Small played on an elite Memphis travel team. He has a BIG arm and He pitches with an attitude. He is the real deal. I am impressed with the win considering our best Hitter had a bad night. If Kruger had been hitting we would have had an early lead. Thanks Collins for stepping up, please keep it up. Collins, Rooker and Kruger playing up to their potential and Our Pitching staff dealing will make for a fun year. Just everyone get off Cohen's ass and let the season play out.

I think Small is the Friday night guy at some point in his future. I would love to see him get more and more reps this year as middle relief, mid-week starter or even closing some. Just get him innings.

Coach34
03-09-2016, 12:11 PM
I'm a reps and rhythm guy. I think guys play better when they get into a groove, so if like to see it more stabilized. That said, he's developing a lot of guys right now and that could be huge come tournament time. His system and subs are built towards winning in the post-season. Last year it may have cost us a birth, but if we get in with a decent seed we're going to be a very difficult out.

Subbing right now is fine because we don't have 8 clear cut position players. We have some young talent that needs developing. As I posted a few days ago- Cohen was killing us with the way he had the batting order. He finally put Kruger in the 3-hole, moved Lowe down, and things look a lot better. Shouldn't have taken 10 games to figure that out. I mentioned putting Cody in the 2-hole- Cohen finally does it and he responds just as I thought he would. It just really bothers me that things that are blatantly obvious to me and others Cohen doesn't see

dawggone
03-09-2016, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=beretta;516863]i like how he used a lot of Fr pitchers to get experience, but if you have a Fr pitcher who is finding his groove, let him feed on that groove....im referencing Ethan Small.....he will be a future weekend starter imo.....guy just shows so much confidence and poise on the mound....he should have been left in the game to feed on the momentum and get even better.....

this team is going to lose some games.....bc of cohen, bc of youth.....i think that they will peak for a late season run and get stronger as the season goes on....post season should be fun....I really love our lineup (even with the changes)....i expect Marrero to get better at the plate as the season goes on.....im not as big of a fan of Cody Brown as some of you....i cringe and pray every time he is at the plate...

I agree with you on letting a guy who is dominating hitters stay in the game, we need to win those games because wins in the SEC are gonna be tough. I like Marrero as well but Kruger is very very good behind the plate, saw him play a lot in the fall and he is as good as they come, very high baseball IQ and blocks balls extremely well, don't know about his arm, coaches doctors would know more than anybody on that. Why do you cringe when a .300 hitter with extra base hit power comes to the plate?

dawgday166
03-09-2016, 12:57 PM

You may be right ... we'll see. I said as of now I'm not that optimistic. I didn't follow that closely during the season in 2013 and just looked at the lineups in the post season last night. We also got a good draw in the tournament too.

I think this team is talented but the crispness isn't there yet that you normally see from a good team in the field. I think before too much longer that needs to show up or, with the schedule that I'm reading, postseason will be an optimist's illusion.

Political Hack
03-09-2016, 01:03 PM
You may be right ... we'll see. I said as of now I'm not that optimistic. I didn't follow that closely during the season in 2013 and just looked at the lineups in the post season last night. We also got a good draw in the tournament too.

I think this team is talented but the crispness isn't there yet that you normally see from a good team in the field. I think before too much longer that needs to show up or, with the schedule that I'm reading, postseason will be an optimist's illusion.

Yeah. Already in double digit errors this season, which isn't ideal but if the bats stay live and the arms develop it'll help mitigate those. My only concern is the left side of the infield with Collins at 3rd. If that's the case youve got be rock solid at SS. Also, small ball could hurt us but that's something they'll get better with as the season progresses. With so many freshmen P and Collins at 3rd, bunts could give us problems at times.

Percho
03-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Cohen is what he is. In recruiting if he tells a kid you will play early, he will, because that is the way he coaches and learns & teaches his players. Might as well accept that and move on.

Percho
03-09-2016, 01:15 PM

Plus, I believe the amount of overall talent today is much better than in 2013. We have a lot more players who can play today than then.

Percho
03-09-2016, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=beretta;516863]i like how he used a lot of Fr pitchers to get experience, but if you have a Fr pitcher who is finding his groove, let him feed on that groove....im referencing Ethan Small.....he will be a future weekend starter imo.....guy just shows so much confidence and poise on the mound....he should have been left in the game to feed on the momentum and get even better.....

this team is going to lose some games.....bc of cohen, bc of youth.....i think that they will peak for a late season run and get stronger as the season goes on....post season should be fun....I really love our lineup (even with the changes)....i expect Marrero to get better at the plate as the season goes on.....im not as big of a fan of Cody Brown as some of you....i cringe and pray every time he is at the plate...

I agree with you on letting a guy who is dominating hitters stay in the game, we need to win those games because wins in the SEC are gonna be tough. I like Marrero as well but Kruger is very very good behind the plate, saw him play a lot in the fall and he is as good as they come, very high baseball IQ and blocks balls extremely well, don't know about his arm, coaches doctors would know more than anybody on that. Why do you cringe when a .300 hitter with extra base hit power comes to the plate?

Just watch Cody. He does so many more winning things than losing things. He known how to win, Taking away the hand last night was big. He'll take an extra base. He is a winner. If i didn't know better I would think I was his dad.

dawggone
03-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Overall pretty good assessment Todd. While I would love to see as many pitchers as possible, 1st priority is to win games, this is not fall ball anymore these count and we will need as many as possible come tournament selection time. My lineup going forward, tell me your thoughts

CF Robson .300 avg and .400 on base guy
LF Brown .300 avg and another .400 on base guy
C Kruger to early to tell, may hit .400 avg on year and very good pwr
3B Collins power and will get Kruger pitches to hit
1B Lowe some power, inserted here to break all right handers
RF Rooker good pwr hope avg will follow
DH Humphries more power again hope avg will follow
2B Stoval/Gridley whichever is hitting
SS Alexander just feel comfortable with him defensively very smooth

It's good to have a strong bench and I believe we do this year, but this lineup gives us speed, power, gap power, and good hit for avg guys.
Really strong defensively with 3B exception. 2 guys at top who hit for avg and just get on base, 5 power hitters in a row with a lefty in the middle breaking up the righties. Let this lineup play for 3 or 4 series then reevaluate. At some point some or all will have a slump, it happens to ALL hitters even the good ones. My 2 cents worth for whats that worth,Go Dawgs.

engie
03-09-2016, 01:42 PM
I didn't follow that closely during the season in 2013 and just looked at the lineups in the post season last night. We also got a good draw in the tournament too.
If by "good draw in the tournament", you mean the single toughest regional that season by far which can be quoted several places online -- and being sent on the road to the #6 national seed -- then having to go through the #3 national seed twice -- qualifies as easy to you -- then yeah.

Please just stop. The veil on your posts are getting really thin.

dawggone
03-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Overall pretty good assessment Todd. While I would love to see as many pitchers as possible, 1st priority is to win games, this is not fall ball anymore these count and we will need as many as possible come tournament selection time. My lineup going forward, tell me your thoughts

It's good to have a strong bench and I believe we do this year, but this lineup gives us speed, power, gap power, and good hit for avg guys.
Really strong defensively with 3B exception. 2 guys at top who hit for avg and just get on base, 5 power hitters in a row with a lefty in the middle breaking up the righties. Let this lineup play for 3 or 4 series then reevaluate. At some point some or all will have a slump, it happens to ALL hitters even the good ones. My 2 cents worth for whats that worth,Go Dawgs.

dawggone
03-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Sorry for the double post, I'm a rookie in training posting. Me an cell phones are like oil and water. My apologies.

Political Hack
03-09-2016, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=dawggone;516954]

Just watch Cody. He does so many more winning things than losing things. He known how to win, Taking away the hand last night was big. He'll take an extra base. He is a winner. If i didn't know better I would think I was his dad.

I'm with you. We're just a better team when he's on the field. There's only a few guys that are must plays to me. Robson, Cody, and Kruger betting right now are no brainers. Those 3 are every day guys no matter what. There are others that probably belong in that group, but those 3 stand out to me the most because they produce.

I seen it dawg
03-09-2016, 02:24 PM
No ... I don't. I want to stick with them, stay with a consistent lineup and see how it works over a decent amount of time. My main thing is I don't want to give up runs due to errors and mental mistakes. I like rock solid D and will trade some to get a really good bat in the lineup maybe. I don't think Collins should be moved all over the place .. play him at 3rd everyday and leave him there.

Like I've said previously, I cannot think of a really good team that has moved people at random all over the infield all the time. I'd also stick with a pretty consistent batting order for a period of time too.

You only have so much "decent time" this isn't a 162 game schedule. Tough shit but you got to produce when given your chance.

GTHOM
03-09-2016, 02:26 PM
Best win of the year so far if you ask me.

I seen it dawg
03-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Pretty sure Kruger is an elite defender behind the dish as well -- but that is strictly second-hand info.

I'm fine with Marrero back there. What's the problem? All this hand wringing -- to get another bat into a lineup -- that I'm not at all sure will end up being superior to Marrero by the time the season is over.

Marrero is gonna be huge the rest of this year. I could see him and Kruger splitting DH some down the road if Kruger is indeed gonna catch. Leaves Stovall as the backup which is ok. I don't usually like using a catcher as a DH but with Stovall available we are ok.

I seen it dawg
03-09-2016, 02:33 PM
I wasn't one of those bitching. I'm new to the board. I'm just saying that I personally cannot think of a really good team that kept the same folks in the lineup and moved their positions all over the place. Alexander, Gridley, Stovall, & Collins have all played multiple infield positions. I think that hurts your defense. I believe ball players like to "own" a position for the most part. I don't know why you'd play Alexander at SS, Gridley at 2nd one day, then Alexander at 3rd, Gridley at SS the next. Hard to develop consistency this way. JMO.

Keep observing and learning.

dawgday166
03-09-2016, 03:31 PM
If by "good draw in the tournament", you mean the single toughest regional that season by far which can be quoted several places online -- and being sent on the road to the #6 national seed -- then having to go through the #3 national seed twice -- qualifies as easy to you -- then yeah.

Whatever dude. I meant that at no time in the tournament did we have to play LSU or Vandy.

DistrictDawg92
03-09-2016, 03:49 PM
Breaux getting pulled after 2 ip could've been to use him this weekend at some point.

Agreed. I think Cohen realized with Oregon's starting arms we are going to have to win this weekend with our arms and not our bats. Fortunately everyone that pitched last night should be good to go at some point this weekend. Also we need as many arms available as possible due to the possibility of in-game rain delays pulling our starters prematurely.

DistrictDawg92
03-09-2016, 03:55 PM
Marrero is gonna be huge the rest of this year. I could see him and Kruger splitting DH some down the road if Kruger is indeed gonna catch. Leaves Stovall as the backup which is ok. I don't usually like using a catcher as a DH but with Stovall available we are ok.

I think Marrero has won the starting catcher spot. Leave Kruger at DH where he can continue to focus solely on hitting, also he doesn't ever have to sit games to rest when he is exclusively a DH. No reason to take Krugers bat out of the lineup to rest when we have 3 or 4 other capable catchers on the roster.

engie
03-09-2016, 04:11 PM
Whatever dude. I meant that at no time in the tournament did we have to play LSU or Vandy.

Which makes both of them the lucky ones lest we had been the ones to send them packing. Lsu went 2 and q in Omaha and Vandy got beat in the Supers by the team that went 2 and q in our side of the bracket.

In reality -- you didn't have a point. You just wanted to demean our actual accomplishments as much as you could -- and got called on it.

dawgday166
03-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Which makes both of them the lucky ones lest we had been the ones to send them packing. Lsu went 2 and q in Omaha and Vandy got beat in the Supers by the team that went 2 and q in our side of the bracket.

In reality -- you didn't have a point. You just wanted to demean our actual accomplishments as much as you could -- and got called on it.

Not trying to demean accomplishments ... but I am willing to make a small wager that you think Stans should get majority of credit for TAMs basketball banner this year.

I seen it dawg
03-09-2016, 07:31 PM
I think Marrero has won the starting catcher spot. Leave Kruger at DH where he can continue to focus solely on hitting, also he doesn't ever have to sit games to rest when he is exclusively a DH. No reason to take Krugers bat out of the lineup to rest when we have 3 or 4 other capable catchers on the roster.

Which was my point with splitting DH up. Kruger catch midweek and maybe one game on the weekend. DH the rest of the time. I'm fine with him DHing all year and spelling marrero with Stovall though. I think though by mid April we won't want Marreros bat out of the lineup either.

K9 Avenger
03-09-2016, 08:47 PM

Amen...this guy has got to be a Polkie...

Political Hack
03-09-2016, 08:58 PM
Sorry for the double post, I'm a rookie in training posting. Me an cell phones are like oil and water. My apologies.

Not only did you double post, but then you apologized twice for it in the same post. If our baseball team finishes with as many doubles as you we'll be ok. Lol

dawgday166
03-09-2016, 09:22 PM
Amen...this guy has got to be a Polkie...

No ... I'm not. I thought Cohen did a good job guiding team through NCAA tourney that year. But we were 1-2 agains LSU and 0-4 against Vandy that year. Might could've beaten them next time around ... but was glad to see them drop out.

Todd4State
03-09-2016, 11:18 PM

I like your lineup given how they are playing right now. Personally I'd like to keep Alexander at SS if at all possible because he is so good there. I just hope it's possible.

Todd4State
03-09-2016, 11:20 PM
Cohen is what he is. In recruiting if he tells a kid you will play early, he will, because that is the way he coaches and learns & teaches his players. Might as well accept that and move on.

Which I think helps us in recruiting. Especially since we have a track record of doing so.

And now we are recruiting better than we have in baseball in awhile and I don't foresee it letting up.

Todd4State
03-09-2016, 11:29 PM

We've been pretty consistent with where people have been playing position wise.

Yeah, Collins played second base for a few innings against a small mid major which is most likely a one time deal. Stovall has moved around some, but he is a utility guy at this time and he has looked good wherever he has played. Alexander has only played third when Collins has been suspended or as a late inning defensive replacement and the same with Reid Humphreys starting when Collins was suspended and obviously we had to have someone there. Gridley has moved some between SS and second but he has been doing that his whole life before he even got to MSU.

So, I don't understand all of this complaining about guys moving around. Its been pretty minimal this year and 4-5 innings of Collins playing second against a team we were going to blow out anyway is hardly reason to complain about it on a weekly basis.

Todd4State
03-09-2016, 11:38 PM
No ... I'm not. I thought Cohen did a good job guiding team through NCAA tourney that year. But we were 1-2 agains LSU and 0-4 against Vandy that year. Might could've beaten them next time around ... but was glad to see them drop out.

We also lost that series to LSU because Preston Brown went against the coaches and threw a curveball to Mason Katz which he hit for a home run. If you notice Brown sat the rest of the year. Vandy swept us in Nashville and that was the series where Lindgren completely fell apart and was reduced to a role on the Bench Mobb. Vandy won game two with a bunch of weak infield hits on a wet field.

That was also before Girodo emerged as a huge weapon for us.

And I guarantee you that if we pitched Graveman against LSU, we were winning.

Anyway, what you are saying would be like me saying that our 1985 team was lucky they didn't have to play Mississippi College in the postseason. Things change over the course of the year. For example, Central Arkansas won their series with us- and then we beat them in the regional two out of three.

dawgday166
03-10-2016, 03:22 AM
We've been pretty consistent with where people have been playing position wise.

Yeah, Collins played second base for a few innings against a small mid major which is most likely a one time deal. Stovall has moved around some, but he is a utility guy at this time and he has looked good wherever he has played. Alexander has only played third when Collins has been suspended or as a late inning defensive replacement and the same with Reid Humphreys starting when Collins was suspended and obviously we had to have someone there. Gridley has moved some between SS and second but he has been doing that his whole life before he even got to MSU.

So, I don't understand all of this complaining about guys moving around. Its been pretty minimal this year and 4-5 innings of Collins playing second against a team we were going to blow out anyway is hardly reason to complain about it on a weekly basis.

Thanks for the explanation, although it won't change my perception immediately. We'll see where we end up later on in the year.

dawgday166
03-10-2016, 03:52 AM
We also lost that series to LSU because Preston Brown went against the coaches and threw a curveball to Mason Katz which he hit for a home run. If you notice Brown sat the rest of the year. Vandy swept us in Nashville and that was the series where Lindgren completely fell apart and was reduced to a role on the Bench Mobb. Vandy won game two with a bunch of weak infield hits on a wet field.

That was also before Girodo emerged as a huge weapon for us.

And I guarantee you that if we pitched Graveman against LSU, we were winning.

Anyway, what you are saying would be like me saying that our 1985 team was lucky they didn't have to play Mississippi College in the postseason. Things change over the course of the year. For example, Central Arkansas won their series with us- and then we beat them in the regional two out of three.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying I thought our odds improved a lot when they dropped out.

louisvilledawg
03-10-2016, 09:30 AM
My lineup vs Oregon (all lh starters, I believe)...

Robson cf
Gridley 2b
Kruger dh
Collins 3b
Rooker rf
Hump LF
Lowe 1b
Marrero c
Alexander SS

I like the middle of the lineup. We need collins batting cleanup, not 2nd. Hella power with that lineup from 3-7. i like.