PDA

View Full Version : Somebody PM'd me a little while back inquiring about Mississippi School of the Arts

BulldogBear
03-08-2016, 09:49 PM
I hadn't responded yet and went to do so tonight after the softball game. However, I cannot find this message. If you read this, send me another one.

Westdawg
03-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Wasn't me but there was someone on the board a week or so back asking if there was a school in MS with a good orchestra program (k-12).
There are a couple towns that have junior orchestra programs in the the city but not one that has a good orchestra program that I can find as of yet. Was surprised that Madison Central didn't.

Todd4State
03-09-2016, 12:40 AM
Wasn't me but there was someone on the board a week or so back asking if there was a school in MS with a good orchestra program (k-12).
There are a couple towns that have junior orchestra programs in the the city but not one that has a good orchestra program that I can find as of yet. Was surprised that Madison Central didn't.

Knowing the band director there, I'm not. They're more into marching band than anything else.

Westdawg
03-09-2016, 09:54 AM
Knowing the band director there, I'm not. They're more into marching band than anything else.

not a slight towards MC, was just surprised that of the few larger districts in the state with strong parental support for the arts they didn't have a established orchestral instrument program in 7-12 grades.
that was one thing that states i previously taught/coached in out west had that i would like to see more of here in MS. The smaller schools - even out there - don't have the funding, but the larger ones, especially in metro areas, had great programs.

nicks_hammer
03-09-2016, 10:19 AM
I was the one who had inquired about an orchestra program. I have only found Gulfport, Oxford, and a couple of the JPS schools that offer it. Both my boys and my youngest daughter enjoy the strings 's programs here at the school they are at in Texas. We may end up staying here to give them that opportunity. I don't forsee using JPS nor Oxford Schools and have not been looking towards the coast for a job after the Army.

Westdawg
03-09-2016, 11:03 AM
I was the one who had inquired about an orchestra program. I have only found Gulfport, Oxford, and a couple of the JPS schools that offer it. Both my boys and my youngest daughter enjoy the strings 's programs here at the school they are at in Texas. We may end up staying here to give them that opportunity. I don't forsee using JPS nor Oxford Schools and have not been looking towards the coast for a job after the Army.

it's not Mississippi, but there are some great schools in the greater MidSouth ( around Memphis) area that I believe have good orchestra programs. I didn't even think of asking that direction. I still have some contacts in the arts in that area. If you want me to get a list, just respond in this thread and let me know

nicks_hammer
03-09-2016, 11:55 AM
it's not Mississippi, but there are some great schools in the greater MidSouth ( around Memphis) area that I believe have good orchestra programs. I didn't even think of asking that direction. I still have some contacts in the arts in that area. If you want me to get a list, just respond in this thread and let me know

I would be very thankful for that.

drunkernhelldawg
03-09-2016, 01:12 PM

The Gulfport district program is excellent. Overall, Gulfport is an above average for Mississippi district. Better in high school than elementary, imo.

ETA: Gulf Coast Symphony has an excellent Youth Orchestra.

Dawgtini
03-09-2016, 04:18 PM
It was me. I still haven't figured out how to pm from mobile! Re: I have a 14 yo that wants to go to the MS school for the Arts. Any advice on increasing her chances of getting accepted is welcomed.

BulldogBear
03-09-2016, 08:26 PM
It was me. I still haven't figured out how to pm from mobile! Re: I have a 14 yo that wants to go to the MS school for the Arts. Any advice on increasing her chances of getting accepted is welcomed.

Which discipline would she be pursuing? They offer:

Visual (includes sculpture, drawing, painting)

Voice

Theatre

Literature

Dance

BulldogBear
05-25-2016, 08:07 AM
Bump