PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Trout bite in South LA (article)

BeastMan
03-08-2016, 11:09 AM
http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2016/03/angler_boats_nearly_8-pound_sp.html

Even though it's East Timbalier, I think a lot of fisherman can take that to mean the "outside" bite is starting early this year with the mild winter. Insane stringer for that guy though. Limit by 9:30 AM ranging from 2lbs to nearly 8.

State82
03-08-2016, 04:58 PM
BeastMan, have you read Todd Masson's books on trout fishing? Been wanting to pick them up but just haven't had a chance yet.

BeastMan
03-08-2016, 05:00 PM
BeastMan, have you read Todd Masson's books on trout fishing? Been wanting to pick them up but just haven't had a chance yet.

I have not. Probably need to read it though

SpeckleDawg
03-09-2016, 09:54 AM
That's a serious box of trout! Trip of a lifetime for sure. I also fully expect the trout to transition earlier this year due to the mild winter, which is fine by me. I'm ready to hit Cat Island.

BeastMan
03-09-2016, 12:53 PM
That's a serious box of trout! Trip of a lifetime for sure. I also fully expect the trout to transition earlier this year due to the mild winter, which is fine by me. I'm ready to hit Cat Island.

No doubt and that's exactly what I was thinking as far as what it means to us Coast anglers. I have got to learn to trout fish Cat. Interestingly enough my best trout trip the last 2 years was at Cat where we flat cleaned up on specks and whites but we got on some birds that no one else seemed to care about. No one ran in on use and we stayed on them forever. We usually fish the marsh at cat for a mixed box if you know what I mean.

SpeckleDawg
03-09-2016, 05:11 PM
No doubt and that's exactly what I was thinking as far as what it means to us Coast anglers. I have got to learn to trout fish Cat. Interestingly enough my best trout trip the last 2 years was at Cat where we flat cleaned up on specks and whites but we got on some birds that no one else seemed to care about. No one ran in on use and we stayed on them forever. We usually fish the marsh at cat for a mixed box if you know what I mean.

Not sure if you only had courteous boaters near you (yeah right) or they were tired of being tricked by schools of ladyfish and hard heads under the birds. We like to fish north and south bayou as well, but my favorite spots for trout are all on the south side. The key for me every time I've caught well there is to keep moving and don't stay in one spot that isn't producing for too long. This is especially true in the dead of summer. The pressure is on when the hot sun starts getting up high.

Duckdawg
03-11-2016, 09:33 AM

Im with you. Ive got to figure out how to catch trout other than those little bait stealers Ive gotten into in the marsh. With this new boat Im getting Ill be more mobile.

Johnson85
03-11-2016, 10:31 AM

I've seen some friends doing pretty well out of Mississippi already. Nobody limiting out on fish like that, but seen them bringing in 15-20 fish box full of 2 to 5 pound specks. Not sure where they've been fishing.