PDA

View Full Version : Lovie Smith to Illinois

DCdawg
03-07-2016, 09:48 AM
I thought the Illini had knocked it out of the park by getting Lovie until the contract came out today. His agent took them to the woodshed. 6 year deal worth $21 million - making $5 mil in his last year.

jumbo
03-07-2016, 09:51 AM
I thought the Illini had knocked it out of the park by getting Lovie until the contract came out today. His agent took them to the woodshed. 6 year deal worth $21 million - making $5 mil in his last year.

I think Lovie is a solid coach, but it will be interesting to see how he does at the college level. This could be Charlie Weis 2.0

archdog
03-07-2016, 10:06 AM
I thought someone on here or 6p said they were looking at Gonzalez?

ShotgunDawg
03-07-2016, 10:20 AM
I think Lovie is a solid coach, but it will be interesting to see how he does at the college level. This could be Charlie Weis 2.0

Weis was never an NFL head coach and Lovie has been.

However, I agree. I think Lovie may prove to be a better NFL coach than college coach. Harbaugh will be successful because he's a competitive freak, loves recruiting, and actually built his career in college, but Lovie strikes me as the type that may not recruit with the effort necessary.

That being said, he may still be successful because the Big 10 is so shallow. This is more of a threat to Michigan State, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Penn State than it is to Ohio State or Michigan

mic
03-07-2016, 10:30 AM
That's an AD making a statement...
On the job for 3 days.. Fires head coach before he even coaches his first game, and hires his guy.. And it's a big splash hire..

Ifyouonlyknew
03-07-2016, 11:29 AM
That's an AD making a statement...
On the job for 3 days.. Fires head coach before he even coaches his first game, and hires his guy.. And it's a big splash hire..

It better work. You fire a coach 2 days before spring practice it better be a homerun hire.

Reason2succeed
03-07-2016, 11:36 AM

Great move by the Illini in my opinion. What other big name coach do they have a snowball's chance in Oxfard of landing? Lovie Smith was beloved in Chicago in his time with the Bears. If he gets the right assistants this could really help them pull themselves out of the basement of the Big 10.

mic
03-07-2016, 01:01 PM
It better work. You fire a coach 2 days before spring practice it better be a homerun hire.

It's Illinois football... Even if it doesn't work he is making a statement ..

MetEdDawg
03-07-2016, 01:12 PM
I thought someone on here or 6p said they were looking at Gonzalez?

Wouldn't be surprised. I know Colorado State is his alma mater, but if I remember correctly they had some pretty good stuff to say about him after he interviewed and their hiring process was done. Could have just been lip service but I think he's going to be a HC one day.

Goldendawg
03-07-2016, 06:08 PM
Oh No. How many of our coaches will Lovie hire! He's got his hands full. This program is really down for years.

Dawgtini
03-07-2016, 07:02 PM
Oh No. How many of our coaches will Lovie hire! He's got his hands full. This program is really down for years.
Just our OC. **

mic
03-07-2016, 07:06 PM

We all know where he won't be looking for assistants... Oxford....