PDA

View Full Version : Bowl games

Drugdog
08-13-2013, 08:59 AM
I heard on XM/Sirus ch. 91 College sports that with the New Agreement the SEC picks which teams go to which bowls. There will be no more 5 team leaping over a 4 team according to this report.
I think this is good news for MSU.

curmudgeon
08-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Its a good plan. This is what most years will look like:

Champion to the Playoff/Champions Bowl
Runner Up to the Playoff/Chick-fil-A/Cotton
3rd Place to Capital One
4th Place to Outback
5th Place to Music City
Next Best East team to Gator
Next Best West team to Liberty (which with Big 12 tie-in moves up the chain)
Next Best East team to Belk
Next Best West team to Texas
Birmingham and Advocare get what's left.

Last year would have looked something like this:

Alabama to Playoff
Florida to Playoff
Georgia to Capital One
South Carolina to Outback
LSU to Music City
Vandy to Gator
Texas A&M to Liberty
Mississippi State to Texas
Ole Miss to Belk (no East team available)

Birmingham and Advocare would be left without SEC team. Mizzou and Tennessee were 1 win away.

dparker
08-13-2013, 10:01 AM
If you think there still won't be teams leaping other teams, I have some bad news for you. Bowls are all about how much money they generate (hotels, food, bars, etc.) and not about who deserves what. The SEC picking isn't going to change that. So expect people to still get passed over if they went there recently or the fan base isn't too excited about traveling.

Drugdog
08-13-2013, 11:03 AM
DP, I somewhat agree. However this report said that would not happen... But I know what you are saying.

maroonmania
08-13-2013, 11:09 AM
I heard on XM/Sirus ch. 91 College sports that with the New Agreement the SEC picks which teams go to which bowls. There will be no more 5 team leaping over a 4 team according to this report.
I think this is good news for MSU.

Oh man, just think of all the Outback steaks MSU fans could have eaten over the years if this rule had already been in place.

Drugdog
08-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Blooming Onion here we come!

SheltonChoked
08-13-2013, 11:14 AM
According to reports, the only way this will happen is if a team has gone to the same bowl too frequently (i.e. South Carolina has gone to the Outback Bowl 3 times recently, can't spell Citrus without UT from the '90's or MSU to the Gator again) then the order may be shuffled to get better attendance.

I expect outrage over getting screwed and having to go to the Belk Bowl instead of Texas or the Liberty. But, outside of the bottom 2, there is not a bad SEC bowl tie in.

blacklistedbully
08-13-2013, 12:20 PM
"In consultation with SEC member institutions, as well as these six bowls, the conference will make the assignments for the bowl games in this newly created pool system.

?This bowl process gives us the best opportunity to address several issues that impact SEC fans, including the creation of intriguing matchups, the accommodation of travel for fans, reduced ticket obligations for our schools and a variety of assignments to help prevent repetitive postseason destinations,? said Slive."

If you don't think Slive is gonna use this power & flexibility to throw us under the bus come bowl time, you haven;t been paying attention. Get prepared to watch a 7-5 UF go to a Music City or Gator while a 9-3 MSU goes to the Liberty or Texas Bowl. Of course it will all be in our best interests.***

hailmari
08-13-2013, 12:33 PM
If only we could trade New Orleans for Birmingham and let it switch picks with the Liberty bowl.