PDA

View Full Version : Cohen has got to fix the line up

Coach34
03-04-2016, 11:54 PM
We played 3 games vs decent teams this season-in those games we have scored 2 runs in 27 innings...that sux

Robson batting 1st- yes

Why waste Cody Brown in the 7 hole? He batted .300 last year, he's hitting .333 this year, and can bunt from the 2-hole. This is an obvious move

Lon Kruger is the easy 3-hole guy. He's hitting .550 and is far and away the best hitter we have. No-brainer 3-hole

Lowe is our worst hitting starter- and he bats 3rd??? WTF? He's hitting under .250. Just plain stupid. Hump can hit .250- work him at 1st

Rooker? Hitting .333 so far- as decent of a middle order guy as we have. But we just PH for him- thats how strong we are in the 4-hole. Pathetic. That should NEVER happen- a guy hitting 4th that you have to pinch hit for.

Gridley and Stovall hitting well. Reward them.

Too many holes in the middle of our order. Fix this shit.

Collins doesnt have a position. Either he catches, DH's, or sits. No Mora infield play.

Taog Redloh
03-05-2016, 12:00 AM
Can't argue with any of that. I was taking up for Lowe until tonite. I'm almost to the point of giving Gordon a chance.

I'd rather Collins and Humphreys sit the bench.

BossDawg
03-05-2016, 01:32 AM
Do you think Cohen's style can be successful in the SEC? Consistently speaking. I'm not talking about getting hot every few years or so.

Coach34
03-05-2016, 01:51 AM
Do you think Cohen's style can be successful in the SEC? Consistently speaking. I'm not talking about getting hot every few years or so.

We have some really good baseball minds on this site- I'll offer up my opinion:

1. Cohen has wasted too much time trying to tailor his team to DNF. Instead of just simply recruiting the best talent he can- he has tried to form a team to play in a ballpark that is huge. And he failed for the most part because alot of the munchkins we recruited didnt have bigtime speed. Why recruit dwarfs that cant steal 25 bases? He would have been better off just recruiting the best people possible

2. He is too overbearing. Our guys leave Sville and dominate summer leagues. In Sville- they look like shit. The common denominator is John Cohen. Whether its his teaching philosophy or his overbearing personality- something is missing with our hitting.

3. His batting line ups are awful. His "pod" philosophy is flawed. Not to mention- we went 50 games of never having the same line up? That cant happen in baseball- it just cant.

I simply think he is overmanaging things because he is a control freak and also because he puts alot of pressure on himself to win at State. The Meddler is the perfect nickname. Sometime- you just gotta back away for 4-5 games for the most part and let guys play baseball. Baseball players need to be tough- but not always "on edge"

JohnnyQuid
03-05-2016, 05:09 AM
We played 3 games vs decent teams this season-in those games we have scored 2 runs in 27 innings...that sux

Robson batting 1st- yes

Why waste Cody Brown in the 7 hole? He batted .300 last year, he's hitting .333 this year, and can bunt from the 2-hole. This is an obvious move

Lon Kruger is the easy 3-hole guy. He's hitting .550 and is far and away the best hitter we have. No-brainer 3-hole

Lowe is our worst hitting starter- and he bats 3rd??? WTF? He's hitting under .250. Just plain stupid. Hump can hit .250- work him at 1st

Rooker? Hitting .333 so far- as decent of a middle order guy as we have. But we just PH for him- thats how strong we are in the 4-hole. Pathetic. That should NEVER happen- a guy hitting 4th that you have to pinch hit for.

Collins doesnt have a position. Either he catches, DH's, or sits. No Mora infield play.

agree.

regarding rooker - "cos matchups mane." so retarded.

lowe better pick it up fast. Dunno what u do with collins but him at C or anywhere in the infield gives me the shakes.

work some magic cohen.

Joe Schmedlap
03-05-2016, 06:22 AM
Get out of the way, cohen.

Blackout
03-05-2016, 07:04 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Kruger got behind in the count his 1st AB showing bunt after Robson got on in the 1st.

That's the kind of cute, meddling bullshit that Cohen does that doesn't show up in the box score.

dawgoneyall
03-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Cohen should be gone if this team doesn't finish above .500 in the SEC.
What is this the 8th year?
He was given all the time he should have needed.

louisvilledawg
03-05-2016, 09:51 AM
what did collins do last night? I saw him boot one, overrun a pop fly, and get ejected for arguing a third strike. The dude just doesnt seem mentally tough.

dawgoneyall
03-05-2016, 09:59 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Kruger got behind in the count his 1st AB showing bunt after Robson got on in the 1st.

That's the kind of cute, meddling bullshit that Cohen does that doesn't show up in the box score.

Though when Bart said he squared around to bunt....what the 17. Was hoping, and still do, he was just faking a bunt. But with Cohen you never know.

djaymsu5
03-05-2016, 10:08 AM
When Lane Burroughs was the hitting coach this team could hit for the most part. Hence the 2013 squad. They had different approaches at the plate with 2 strikes. I know Cohen still meddled then too but when he solely let's a hitting coach have these hitters to himself we will be a better team. Or just fire Cohen that could work too. We will continue to get the same results with him as long as he is the coach. Bank on it!

raymond21
03-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Rooker dominated summer league hitting and seems clueless now. Batters have too many things going through their mind other than just hit the ball hard somewhere and that's on Cohen. Robinson has heard it long enough that he has adapted mentally, Kruger is so good at the plate even Cohen can't screw it up. Alexander, Stovall and Grudley are stars in the making if they don't get over coached at the plate.

Coach34
03-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Rooker dominated summer league hitting and seems clueless now. Batters have too many things going through their mind other than just hit the ball hard somewhere and that's on Cohen. Robinson has heard it long enough that he has adapted mentally, Kruger is so good at the plate even Cohen can't screw it up. Alexander, Stovall and Grudley are stars in the making if they don't get over coached at the plate.

Reynolds had a big summer too- and now he isnt even on the ****ing roster on a team that cant hit. Go figure

AlSwearengen
03-05-2016, 10:54 AM
Yeah, pinch hitting for a middle of the order hitter just isn't done. And the two hole hitter needs to be someone who can do it all as far as handling the bat. I agree with coach and it has been proven that brown is that type of hitter.

I never saw this type of stuff coming when we hired Cohen. Recruiting and hitting is what I thought he was known for.

Coach34
03-05-2016, 11:20 AM
And thats the thing- we do finally have a really good group of freshmen. But we have some older guys that are talented and have been in the program- and they are struggling again now that they are back in Sville. These guys went off and played great last summer. Just alot of constant turmoil at the plate and ****ed up line ups. Sick of this shit.

We dont have to try to re-invent baseball every season- sometimes you just let your guys play the damn game

mic
03-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Bat Cody in 2 hole against RH.. When Robson reaches it opens up the right side for him.. And if for some odd reason we actually run Robson and he swipes second , then a ground ball gets him to third..

Bat Stovall in 2 hole against LH.. He handles the bat well and I'm sure he can hit behind the runner

Kruger in 3 hole ... its a no brainier...

A weekend Dixie Youth baseball coach can see that Kruger needs to be in the 3 hole..

Tbonewannabe
03-05-2016, 11:40 AM
It may be he wants to win so much he can't help but meddle.

weblow
03-05-2016, 11:41 AM
I don't understand Cohen and others fascination with Collins. He is awful at 3rd base and has been all year. He obviously isn't good enough to start in front of several true freshmen behind the plate. He has now been suspended twice this season and gets ejected last night. He hasn't overwhelmed anyone at the plate. Someone please explain to me why he sees the field........and please don't tell me about the power that hasn't been seen in over a year. I understand the injury last year prevented him from contributing but the guy just has no business on the field this year from what i have seen. I would rather have Hump at 3rd or move Stovall to 3rd. Collins is a liability at 3rd and he proved it again last night.

dawgday166
03-05-2016, 11:59 AM
We have some really good baseball minds on this site- I'll offer up my opinion:

1. Cohen has wasted too much time trying to tailor his team to DNF. Instead of just simply recruiting the best talent he can- he has tried to form a team to play in a ballpark that is huge. And he failed for the most part because alot of the munchkins we recruited didnt have bigtime speed. Why recruit dwarfs that cant steal 25 bases? He would have been better off just recruiting the best people possible

2. He is too overbearing. Our guys leave Sville and dominate summer leagues. In Sville- they look like shit. The common denominator is John Cohen. Whether its his teaching philosophy or his overbearing personality- something is missing with our hitting.

3. His batting line ups are awful. His "pod" philosophy is flawed. Not to mention- we went 50 games of never having the same line up? That cant happen in baseball- it just cant.

I simply think he is overmanaging things because he is a control freak and also because he puts alot of pressure on himself to win at State. The Meddler is the perfect nickname. Sometime- you just gotta back away for 4-5 games for the most part and let guys play baseball. Baseball players need to be tough- but not always "on edge"

Without watching it every single day ... this seems pretty reasonable. Especially #1. Hard to play small ball if guys don't have speed.

Percho
03-05-2016, 12:05 PM

Robson batting 1st- yes

Cody might be my lead off. He is just a ball player. Gets it done.

tcdog70
03-05-2016, 12:16 PM
Too many strike outs, just put the ball in play.we get in the hole. The pitcher last night kept pouring it in the strike zone on the first pitch, with Men in scoring position, just hit it somewhere . Stiriking out with the bases loaded in the ninth just sucks. I might have pinch hit for the freshman. JC looking for a walk, should have been aggressive and hit the first good pitch.

Taog Redloh
03-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Too many strike outs, just put the ball in play.we get in the hole. The pitcher last night kept pouring it in the strike zone on the first pitch, with Men in scoring position, just hit it somewhere . Stiriking out with the bases loaded in the ninth just sucks. I might have pinch hit for the freshman. JC looking for a walk, should have been aggressive and hit the first good pitch.
We really have been taking a bunch of 1st pitch strikes this season.

War Machine Dawg
03-05-2016, 11:29 PM

He's well under .500 in SEC play at State, by like 20+ games, if you count his first two seasons. If you don't count the first two seasons, he's STILL sub-.500 in SEC play here. Sorry, but one magical NCAA run doesn't wash away all that suckage. Especially when you followed that big run with one of the worst seasons in the history of the program. No Mora Excuses - Win and be at least a 2 seed or GTFO.

Political Hack
03-06-2016, 12:01 PM

.500? He'd better compete for a damn championship with this squad.

Coach34
03-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Well- he finally put Lon Kruger in the 3 hole. That's progress.