PDA

View Full Version : Rick Ray

fader2103
03-04-2016, 07:23 PM
Tweeting out to the seniors that he wishes them luck in their final game at the hump and tells them he will always be their for them.

Yes he wasn't a great ball coach but you have to respect the guy for that!

TheRef
03-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Ray is a great man. He really is.

Howboutdemdogs
03-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Ray has class! He just was not ready for the jump to Head Coach in the SEC. Class Act!

shannondawg
03-04-2016, 07:44 PM
Earlier this week he gave all the credit to big George for recruiting Q.

RocketDawg
03-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I liked him from the very beginning and at the time thought he was a good choice. Just couldn't cut it in the SEC but he really seems like a great guy. And apparently no hard feelings.

preachermatt83
03-04-2016, 08:23 PM
Absolutly. Great guy. Was just in over his head. I hope he does well in Missouri

Commercecomet24
03-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Nothing at all wrong with Ray the man. He was just in over is head as a head coach. Wish him well. Always seemed like a classy guy.

gravedigger
03-04-2016, 09:35 PM
Nothing at all wrong with Ray the man. He was just in over is head as a head coach. Wish him well. Always seemed like a classy guy.

Sadly, there is plenty wrong with msu the fanbase. The way message boards have acted it's embarrassing. Same with croom.

Percho
03-04-2016, 09:35 PM
Finished 5 and 24

Commercecomet24
03-04-2016, 09:58 PM
Sadly, there is plenty wrong with msu the fanbase. The way message boards have acted it's embarrassing. Same with croom.

Agree. People absolutely lose their minds at times.

shannondawg
03-04-2016, 11:26 PM
Only complaint fans had was his lack of experience before getting the job, and the performance of the team after. Only fault I had with him was his judgement in trying to take my seats for his wife. I did say trying.

sandwolf
03-05-2016, 01:59 AM

I don't know that I would put Ray and Croom in the same category. Croom left here acting like we had done him wrong by firing him. Ray seemed to understand that he wasn't getting the job done and he seemed to genuinely appreciate us giving him the opportunity. So there definitely isn't any reason for anyone to say anything negative about Ray.......but I can see where it would piss people off when Croom implied that he had gotten the short end of the stick, after we had given him an opportunity and paid him handsomely for 1 liberty bowl and 4 years of some of the shittier football that I have ever seen.

JohnnyQuid
03-05-2016, 05:13 AM
Ray is a great man. He really is.

Great man. shitty bball coach. hopefully a soon forgotten part of our history

fader2103
03-05-2016, 08:56 AM
I don't know that I would put Ray and Croom in the same category. Croom left here acting like we had done him wrong by firing him. Ray seemed to understand that he wasn't getting the job done and he seemed to genuinely appreciate us giving him the opportunity. So there definitely isn't any reason for anyone to say anything negative about Ray.......but I can see where it would piss people off when Croom implied that he had gotten the short end of the stick, after we had given him an opportunity and paid him handsomely for 1 liberty bowl and 4 years of some of the shittier football that I have ever seen.

I will disagree about Croom. I have actually seen him twice after he got fired and both times he said that he will always love the university and its fans.

Are you just bringing up the Croom story from SEC network , bc I'm sure they had to put the "Hollywood drama" into it.

smootness
03-05-2016, 10:29 AM
I wanted Ray to be successful so badly. Unfortunately, it didn't work, but we're in a good position now, so I have nothing against Ray at all. He is obviously a great person.

BulldogBacker
03-05-2016, 10:30 AM

Rick Ray was and is a good technical football coach. He had a staff who were not great recruiters, except George Brooks. They simply didn't have the contacts our current staff has. Wes Flanigan was a good guards coach. He really helped Chicken's 3 point shooting. His offensive guru was not as good as George and Wes. I, honestly, thought Ray deserved one more year, but I sure won't complain about Coach Howland. We had a shot to get him, and took it. He will have us beating Kentucky within a couple of years and that is the yardstick for me. Coach Ray is a man of integrity and he cleaned up the program. I will always grateful for that.

Taog Redloh
03-05-2016, 10:36 AM
I will disagree about Croom. I have actually seen him twice after he got fired and both times he said that he will always love the university and its fans.

Are you just bringing up the Croom story from SEC network , bc I'm sure they had to put the "Hollywood drama" into it.

Croom had a big ego. There is no denying that. He thought, coming from Alabama, that no one at MSU was qualified to question him.

mparkerfd20
03-05-2016, 12:11 PM
Rick Ray was a great guy, horrible coach. Croom was Far from a great guy and still a horrible coach.

tcdog70
03-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Good Guys, maybe so. I am not convinced. They screwed over some players, we're both hardheaded. And both couldn't coach a girls T ball team. I didn't like either one from the first game they Coached. The Job was miles over their Heads. They didn't have enough sense to hire
Enough good assistants to bail their dumb asses out. Our DC won Croom enough games to get him named Coach of the Year, thenSly got fired the next year, go figure.

Too bad Ray didn't teach our team how to,pay defense or set a pick. If He had it wouldn't have taken Howland half a season to actually have a team that could play. Croom and Ray they were awful , don't really care if they are nice guys.

Taog Redloh
03-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Good Guys, maybe so. I am not convinced. They screwed over some players, we're both hardheaded. And both couldn't coach a girls T ball team. I didn't like either one from the first game they Coached. The Job was miles over their Heads. They didn't have enough sense to hire
Enough good assistants to bail their dumb asses out. Our DC won Croom enough games to get him named Coach of the Year, thenSly got fired the next year, go figure.

Too bad Ray didn't teach our team how to,pay defense or set a pick. If He had it wouldn't have taken Howland half a season to actually have a team that could play. Croom and Ray they were awful , don't really care if they are nice guys.
We all know the real reason Croom was named COY (besides Ellis).

smootness
03-05-2016, 02:10 PM

Thanks for your thoughts that are completely irrelevant to this thread.

gravedigger
03-05-2016, 06:44 PM
We all know the real reason Croom was named COY (besides Ellis).

Thanks for reminding everyone how our fanbase is not immune from being small minded victims of reverse racism.

Good heavens how DIDNT you grow up an ole miss fan?

tcdog70
03-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Thanks for your thoughts that are completely irrelevant to this thread.

Didn't mean to piss off your Croom loving self. Sorry I just don't think Ray and Croom deserve all the love y'all were throwing out. I would expect it from You, I'm sure Croom sends you Christmas Cards.

smootness
03-05-2016, 08:40 PM
Didn't mean to piss off your Croom loving self. Sorry I just don't think Ray and Croom deserve all the love y'all were throwing out. I would expect it from You, I'm sure Croom sends you Christmas Cards.

This was about giving Ray credit for being a great guy. It had nothing to do with his coaching ability and certainly nothing to do with Croom.

But yes, I'm the one with the agenda here...

Commercecomet24
03-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Oh yeah coaching ability wise Croom and Ray were terrible but I do believe they were good men. You can seperate the man from the coach.

gravedigger
03-05-2016, 09:15 PM
Oh yeah coaching ability wise Croom and Ray were terrible but I do believe they were good men. You can seperate the man from the coach.

State fans cannot. It is amazing how ignorant we can behave when someone takes our program over when it's a dumpster fire.

sandwolf
03-06-2016, 01:29 AM

I don't find it hard to believe that he likes MSU and our fans. He seems like a genuinely good guy, and I think his personality was a really good fit for MSU......so I would imagine that he got along with people pretty well, and was well liked on a personal level.

Yes, I was referring to the SEC Storied episode on Croom, and his comments definitely could have been taken out of context. But my point was that I could at least see where some of our fans could see Croom as ungrateful and unwilling to take responsibility for the shitty product that he put on the field because of those comments.....I cannot see any reason for any of our fans to have anything negative to say about Ray as a person.

For the record, I don't hold any ill will towards Croom. I remember him as being a good, likable guy who just wasn't a good head coach.

sandwolf
03-06-2016, 01:49 AM
State fans cannot. It is amazing how ignorant we can behave when someone takes our program over when it's a dumpster fire.

Some might say it's ignorant to paint with a such broad brush.......there are plenty of State fans (and I would bet it's a majority of the fans over 30) that are capable of separating the man from the coach.

Some might also say that it's ignorant to imply that it is only our fans that lash out at coaches that don't perform, regardless of the situation that they inherited or the type of person that they are........this happens at every single Power 5 program in the country. Honestly, I am amazed that you find it amazing.

Joe Schmedlap
03-06-2016, 06:48 AM

Both were woefully incompetent and should return at least half the money they took from State. Both were self imposed death penalties.

gravedigger
03-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Some might say it's ignorant to paint with a such broad brush.......there are plenty of State fans (and I would bet it's a majority of the fans over 30) that are capable of separating the man from the coach.

Some might also say that it's ignorant to imply that it is only our fans that lash out at coaches that don't perform, regardless of the situation that they inherited or the type of person that they are........this happens at every single Power 5 program in the country. Honestly, I am amazed that you find it amazing.

I stand corrected. It is not all state fans. It is actually a vocal group on message boards. But I made no comment about it being ONLY our fans. I neither insinuated or inferred anything of the sort My comment is the disregard to decency. This thread contains a perfect example. And yes I am amazed. There exist plenty of schools where indecent ignorant thought is cultivated and my amazement is that these people don't gravitate there

sandwolf
03-06-2016, 12:18 PM
I stand corrected. It is not all state fans. It is actually a vocal group on message boards.

Agreed.

But I made no comment about it being ONLY our fans. I neither insinuated or inferred anything of the sort My comment is the disregard to decency. This thread contains a perfect example. And yes I am amazed. There exist plenty of schools where indecent ignorant thought is cultivated and my amazement is that these people don't gravitate there

When you said "State fans cannot." as opposed to something like "Sports fans cannot.", I took it to be directed specifically at our fans......I was probably just reading too much into the statement, so my mistake. I don't disagree with what you are saying. And I am also often amazed by some people's indecency......however, ignorance has become so commonplace that I have come to expect it.

Political Hack
03-06-2016, 12:23 PM
Everyone loving the guy because he's such a good person is what made it so hard to call him out for an absolutely deplorable team. I liked the guy the whole time and tried to be patient before rising him hard on the boards, but I said it halfway into his first season, he was never going to win at State. I think he's a great assistant and someone you want around your program, but he's not a head coach type. Maybe too nice?

tcdog70
03-06-2016, 08:54 PM
Everyone loving the guy because he's such a good person is what made it so hard to call him out for an absolutely deplorable team. I liked the guy the whole time and tried to be patient before rising him hard on the boards, but I said it halfway into his first season, he was never going to win at State. I think he's a great assistant and someone you want around your program, but he's not a head coach type. Maybe too nice?

Leo Durocher said it. Nice guys finish last. To really appreciate how bad Ray was just look at our defense the first ten games and our defense the last ten games. Watch our ability to now set a pick and shoot off of it, and as Howland said when he got here they acted as they had never heard of a screen. Who really cares if he is nice or an ass. I just am glad he is gone

Political Hack
03-07-2016, 12:17 AM
Only complaint fans had was his lack of experience before getting the job, and the performance of the team after. Only fault I had with him was his judgement in trying to take my seats for his wife. I did say trying.

That's pretty funny.

Dawg61
03-07-2016, 01:47 AM
Thanks for reminding everyone how our fanbase is not immune from being small minded victims of reverse racism.

Good heavens how DIDNT you grow up an ole miss fan?

Lol you still denying why Croom got the job too?