PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Ole Miss football coaches have allegedly hired lawyers

PassInterference
03-03-2016, 09:26 AM
...according to Steve Robertson who has been spot on for months regarding Ole Miss's NCAA troubles.

Not school's internal counsel. Not the school's external counsel which serves as an illegal FOIA barrier. They guys allegedly went out and hired their own lawyers with their own dimes.

But hey, there's nothing on the current staff, right? 9 over 3 and we'll forget it by next year, right? Ole Miss has already self-imposed scholly reductions, despite signing a MLB yesterday, right?

Folks, ITS HERE. Right now is just the intermission. Relax, Act II "The Ole Miss Response" is coming up. After that we'll have Act III "The NCAA Drops The Hammer".

defiantdog
03-03-2016, 09:31 AM
Don't forget Act IV: a continued investigation

Boodawg
03-03-2016, 09:32 AM
Awesome if true. This would mean that some are in jeopardy of going to jail or at least going before a judge for something illegal. At least that's the only reason they would need to get their own lawyers, correct? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dental Dawg
03-03-2016, 09:36 AM
Doubt anyone is going to jail. I think they are just trying to protect their careers from show cause.

smootness
03-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Awesome if true. This would mean that some are in jeopardy of going to jail or at least going before a judge for something illegal. At least that's the only reason they would need to get their own lawyers, correct? Correct me if I'm wrong.

No. You would need a lawyer to defend yourself against any NCAA action, too.

starkvegasdawg
03-03-2016, 09:38 AM

I can't verify one way or the other but I did hear this sign was now posted in the athletic department.

http://s3.mimg.ifeng.com/upload/day_140124/201401241128439311_size57_w500_h502_iifeng.jpg

thf24
03-03-2016, 09:45 AM
No. You would need a lawyer to defend yourself against any NCAA action, too.

Would they risk bringing lawyers ONLY to fight NCAA business? If this thing gets in a courtroom, then the NCAA gets subpoena power, which would make it ten times worse than it's already looking. If they have a shred of sense, they'd try to keep it as far away from the legal realm as possible.

Coach34
03-03-2016, 09:56 AM
If they hired lawyers, it's to fight the NCAA and a possible show cause. Highly unlikely it's a legal matter

PassInterference
03-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Nobody is suggesting there is anything criminal going on.

I did use the words illegally and FOIA together. Ole Miss is not allowed to stiffarm FOIA's no matter if documents in question are in their offices or in their external lawyers' offices. Its going to take a lawsuit or an Ethics Commission complaint to show them the light on that.

Johnson85
03-03-2016, 10:11 AM

No. This means that they view their interests and the interests of UM potentially as not aligned. Doesn't necessarily mean anything except that current coaches are involved in some of the serious allegations.

TrapGame
03-03-2016, 10:12 AM
The ole miss staff is lawyering up but we were assured by B-Dork all of it was over and it had nothing to do with the current coaching staff.

Coach34
03-03-2016, 10:20 AM
...according to Steve Robertson who has been spot on for months regarding Ole Miss's NCAA troubles.

But Bafoom said Rosebowl had been told by them Bear lawyers to hush???

Ralph
03-03-2016, 10:23 AM
If the Pell Grant rumor has legs with the track team funneling federal money to football players, that would definitely cause some lawyers to be hired.

TrapGame
03-03-2016, 10:41 AM
If the Pell Grant rumor has legs with the track team funneling federal money to football players, that would definitely cause some lawyers to be hired.

Fraudulent grades/ACT scores with defrauding the government of federal dollars.

I can see ole miss getting the death penalty now. That's some serious shit there.

AlSwearengen
03-03-2016, 10:45 AM
if the coaches are hiring lawyers and actually paying for it themselves (not having olemiss lawyers do free work for them), what does that tell us? Are they afraid of being sacrificial lambs? I can't see olemiss hanging them out to dry with all of the dead bodies that are buried all over the place.

This could make a good John Grisham novel before it is over.

Dental Dawg
03-03-2016, 10:45 AM
First I've heard of this Pell Grant stuff.

Please given more details

msstate7
03-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Fraudulent grades/ACT scores with defrauding the government of federal dollars.

I can see ole miss getting the death penalty now. That's some serious shit there.

Could that cut off federal grant money to the whole school for a while? If so, that would absolutely level the university of miss, not just ole miss athletics

Bully13
03-03-2016, 10:50 AM
We haven't had a thread this good in a while.

msudawglb
03-03-2016, 10:51 AM
I can't verify one way or the other but I did hear this sign was now posted in the athletic department.

http://s3.mimg.ifeng.com/upload/day_140124/201401241128439311_size57_w500_h502_iifeng.jpg

If that was the case, then I'm pretty sure Kimchee will return for his senior year.

blacklistedbully
03-03-2016, 10:59 AM
Could that cut off federal grant money to the whole school for a while? If so, that would absolutely level the university of miss, not just ole miss athletics

And if that is true, then it would certainly explain them denying and fighting as much as possible at the highest levels. How could they possibly admit defrauding the federal gov't and expect to not get the university leveled?

A huge chunk of their students receive a significant amount of federal aid. If they lost that funding they'd be in deep doo-doo for sure.

Ralph
03-03-2016, 11:10 AM
First I've heard of this Pell Grant stuff.

Please given more details

That's all I have. I've read it several times on a couple boards dating back to late last year or early this year. No clue of its validity.

Saltydog
03-03-2016, 11:12 AM
themselves from the activities of these coaches. If true that is very, very telling. This could get interesting.

Liverpooldawg
03-03-2016, 11:22 AM

If proven it absolutely could. I doubt it actually would. I've never heard of that being done except to for profit diploma mill type places.

Westdawg
03-03-2016, 11:22 AM
This means that whoever squeals first and loudest will get the least.
About to get good up in here!!

maroonmania
03-03-2016, 11:26 AM

Well, there has been lots of chatter regarding money being funneled through the track team to football players although I can't say that I had heard it was from funds originating from Pell Grants. If so, that's bad, real bad.

Westdawg
03-03-2016, 11:28 AM
I have said this privately in the past to a few of you, but I was told from a big donor that in the last several weeks Mullen was told of the depth of what was about to happen to our neighbors to the north, and he is realizes he can now take full advantage of the state recruiting when this all comes to light - i.e. Ole Miss is facing a major scandal of epic proportions that will level their program for a decade or longer.
Take it for what it is worth, but the source told me Mullen knew the dirty stuff that he couldn't overcome in recruiting against them - not without getting in the crap pile too. And he just won't do it. that is why he was ready to bail. BUT
the other offers faded, and low and behold, this story has broke wide open and it looks as if we won't have to deal with it because OM has made their own bed now

mic
03-03-2016, 11:33 AM
I bet Kiffin has his lawyer on speed dial...

parabrave
03-03-2016, 11:36 AM
if the coaches are hiring lawyers and actually paying for it themselves (not having olemiss lawyers do free work for them), what does that tell us? Are they afraid of being sacrificial lambs? I can't see olemiss hanging them out to dry with all of the dead bodies that are buried all over the place.

This could make a good John Grisham novel before it is over.

Well since Dickie and Bill took Oliver down or Vica versa them OM lawyers are not as powerful as they used to be. Probably hired some MC Law School Grads. If any of them did mess with ACT scores or had a hand in grade changing then they committed a criminal act, IE Atlanta schools.

Dawgtini
03-03-2016, 11:39 AM
I have said this privately in the past to a few of you, but I was told from a big donor that in the last several weeks Mullen was told of the depth of what was about to happen to our neighbors to the north, and he is realizes he can now take full advantage of the state recruiting when this all comes to light - i.e. Ole Miss is facing a major scandal of epic proportions that will level their program for a decade or longer.
Take it for what it is worth, but the source told me Mullen knew the dirty stuff that he couldn't overcome in recruiting against them - not without getting in the crap pile too. And he just won't do it. that is why he was ready to bail. BUT
the other offers faded, and low and behold, this story has broke wide open and it looks as if we won't have to deal with it because OM has made their own bed now

I don't care if this is true or not.....I LOVE IT! I am taking this as the new gospel. Hails to the YES!

AlSwearengen
03-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Well since Dickie and Bill took Oliver down or Vica versa them OM lawyers are not as powerful as they used to be. Probably hired some MC Law School Grads. If any of them did mess with ACT scores or had a hand in grade changing then they committed a criminal act, IE Atlanta schools.

I would love to know what law school these lawyers for the coaches graduated from. Could be very telling. Although, I know a guy who went undergrad and law school at olemiss and he hates them.

Coach34
03-03-2016, 11:46 AM
I'm curious to see about the track stuff. Football guys are on full scholly- so I'm not seeing the reason money would be funneled thru pell grants toward football. They give their football guys enough cash as it is- no reason to use pell grants

ckDOG
03-03-2016, 11:46 AM
Ah - the third stage of grief - bargaining. This is when the fun starts. I'll especially enjoy this stage and the fourth surely to come - depression.

Bully13
03-03-2016, 12:03 PM

Nomination for post of the month

TrapGame
03-03-2016, 12:03 PM

And looking at the new staff hires he seems ready to let om be tossed into the dustbin of college football history and proceed to dominant in-state recruiting for the foreseeable future.

I like it! I'm with Dawgtini this is the new gospel.

shannondawg
03-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Don't most players qualify for Pell Grants? Don't see how they could use pell grants to distribute money. Don't see a player that qualifies sharing it. no way no how.

However I'm with Dogtini, am taking all this as the gospel truth and I know deep down that the punishment won't be near as bad I want it to be. Cause if it was they would level that shithole flat to the ground and plant kudzu all over it.

Commercecomet24
03-03-2016, 12:06 PM

This has been my thought as well. Well done!

Ralph
03-03-2016, 12:06 PM
I'm curious to see about the track stuff. Football guys are on full scholly- so I'm not seeing the reason money would be funneled thru pell grants toward football. They give their football guys enough cash as it is- no reason to use pell grants

My initial thoughts as well. More likely attorneys were hired to fight a show cause. But there's been enough smoke that Im curious.

BeardoMSU
03-03-2016, 12:07 PM
Ah - the third stage of grief - bargaining.

ED should really have a contest to see who can re-apply the D.E.N.N.I.S. system to the OM investigation.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_59Z3rTn4WIQ/SwYMjkZ-mtI/AAAAAAAACL4/yZHSYqWe8yg/s1600/2009-11-19+22.11.32-730213.jpg

shannondawg
03-03-2016, 12:12 PM
I was told from someone that is usually reliable, that they had an actual recording of a recruit being offered money, and that Tunsil and Kimdechee were spilling the beans, cause they felt like they were deserted. Too good to be true I don't kndid say it came from the SEC office. TIFWIW.

Todd4State
03-03-2016, 12:16 PM

If they get cash from another source that's just more money that they have to give out to other recruits and less of their boosters money to give.

chef dixon
03-03-2016, 12:19 PM
I was told from someone that is usually reliable, that they had an actual recording of a recruit being offered money, and that Tunsil and Kimdechee were spilling the beans, cause they felt like they were deserted. Too good to be true I don't kndid say it came from the SEC office. TIFWIW.

Snitchdeechee has already proven he has no problem spilling beans on people

TrapGame
03-03-2016, 12:26 PM
Snitchdeechee has already proven he has no problem spilling beans on people

Again, I mention the rumor on John Weiner's show two weeks ago that Papa Kim is pissed at Freeze and has dropped some info to the NCAA.

Todd4State
03-03-2016, 12:28 PM

I could totally see Nkemdiche taking them down.

Dawgbite
03-03-2016, 12:51 PM

My theory, if a student is receiving a Pell grant the money is put into an account for he or she to use throughout the year for expenses. At the end of the year any money not spent is given to the student in one check free and clear. The booster gives money exceding the Pell grant amount to the track athlete with the understanding that the track athlete gives his returned grant money to the football player at the end of the year. The booster is comitting a violation with track where the NCAA isn't looking and is insulated from the football player where the NCAA is looking. Only thing I can come up with.

Dawg61
03-03-2016, 01:09 PM
If that was the case, then I'm pretty sure Kimchee will return for his senior year.

Hahahahaha Kimchee bout to have a big senior year

TUSK
03-03-2016, 02:01 PM
Pell Grants????

ACT Fraud???

Dawg61
03-03-2016, 02:13 PM
Pell Grants????

ACT Fraud???

Haha that was quick

blacklistedbully
03-03-2016, 02:21 PM

If that's true then I'm no longer as pissed at Mullen as I was before regarding the Maryland talk in particular. UGA I could understand, but Maryland?? But if he was, in fact faced with competing with Ole Miss with them wholesale cheating, then I could see cutting bait.

Oxfordawg
03-03-2016, 02:21 PM
So is Kimchee gonna be the drugged out player that told all on SMU? This is getting crazy similar

maroonmania
03-03-2016, 02:25 PM
If that's true then I'm no longer as pissed at Mullen as I was before regarding the Maryland talk in particular. UGA I could understand, but Maryland?? But if he was, in fact faced with competing with Ole Miss with them wholesale cheating, then I could see cutting bait.

Yep, only issue I have with that sentiment is that we lost more head to head battles with AL than with UNM in this last cycle. AJ Brown is the primary loss to UNM by us and yes, that one would be directly associated with the UNM "dirty stuff".

Todd4State
03-03-2016, 02:26 PM
So is Kimchee gonna be the drugged out player that told all on SMU? This is getting crazy similar

Could be. I think it kind of depends at least in part on how far he falls in the draft and also how his NFL career goes.

The NFL will not tolerate his crap nearly as much as Ole Miss did. Ask Johnny Football.

fmbdawg17
03-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Ole Miss message boards saying the coaches are lawyering up for a defamation/slander lawsuit against Rosebowl.

When will this end?? They come up with the damndest things to get to sleep at night.

PassInterference
03-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Ole Miss message boards saying the coaches are lawyering up for a defamation/slander lawsuit against Rosebowl.

When will this end?? They come up with the damndest things to get to sleep at night.

Yep.

I don't recall Rosebowl accusing any particular Ole Miss coach of anything. That would be a tough defamation suit.

Coach34
03-03-2016, 02:50 PM

Not so far- remember his interview response at the Combine?

"OM recruited me pretty clean"

msstate7
03-03-2016, 02:50 PM

If they wanna sue for defamation, they're gonna have to release the NOA to prove Rosebowl is full of it

Coach34
03-03-2016, 02:52 PM

bwahahahahahahahaha....nobody with an IQ about jello believes that....Rosebowl has never called out a particular coach of theirs

Coach34
03-03-2016, 02:52 PM
If they wanna sue for defamation, they're gonna have to release the NOA to prove Rosebowl is full of it

and Rosebowl could subpoena people to prove them wrong- and they dont want that

War Machine Dawg
03-03-2016, 02:56 PM

This is what is being missed. It goes way, way deeper than just "academic fraud." People in GA went to prison for something similar. When the hammer drops, not only will it be hard, it could have criminal charges with it.

blacklistedbully
03-03-2016, 02:59 PM

Link? That's stupid even for them. Think I've gotta see that for myself.

Political Hack
03-03-2016, 03:05 PM
The football players that were accepting pell grant fund that never met the qualifications for eligibility, should have to pay the federal tax dollars back. The person who lied and got them the money should be starting jail time in the face for stealing my 17ing tax money.

TrapGame
03-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Damn, to have a law school they sure have some really ignorant fans when it comes to legal matters.

Coursesuper
03-03-2016, 03:17 PM
Damn, to have a law school they sure have some really ignorant fans when it comes to legal matters.

That would be because the majority of the ones that are posting this shat can't afford to pay attention and never darkened a classroom door there.

StatesboroBlues
03-03-2016, 03:26 PM
The football players that were accepting pell grant fund that never met the qualifications for eligibility, should have to pay the federal tax dollars back. The person who lied and got them the money should be starting jail time in the face for stealing my 17ing tax money.

Exactly..,

Liverpooldawg
03-03-2016, 05:23 PM

Yes it is. That is exactly what happened to SMU.

Liverpooldawg
03-03-2016, 05:26 PM

The last thing Ole Miss wants is to get someone with the power to make people testify under oath involved in this.

chainedup_Dawg
03-04-2016, 09:41 AM

3 problems with that, that i see;

1. They don't want subpoena power involved.
2. Rosebowl hasn't said anything about a specific coach or even to where you could infer which coach he was talking about. To my knowledge he hasn't said anything relating to a coach.
3. In Defamation/Libel cases you would have to prove that you could infer exactly who someone was talking about and that they said or posted publicly things that they knew were not true.

I don't see a win for them in any of these. The fact rhat once any of this went to court subpoenas would be issued is enough to tell everyone the people spreading this rumor are full of shit. Now, if Rosebowl wanted to file a Defamation/Libel suit against any of the hundreds of their fans that say he's a cokehead, that'd be a lot easier win and a lot more likely.

ShotgunDawg
03-04-2016, 09:49 AM

I'm no "lawya", but aren't coaches considered "public figures" and thus are not eligible to claim defamation or slander?

I mean, we sit here & defame & slander their coaches all day, so why would Rosebowl be considered different than us?

Virgil Caine
03-04-2016, 01:36 PM
I'm no "lawya", but aren't coaches considered "public figures" and thus are not eligible to claim defamation or slander?

I mean, we sit here & defame & slander their coaches all day, so why would Rosebowl be considered different than us?
They are eligible for defamation suits, but it requires more than just being wrong about what you said.