PDA

View Full Version : Forget, I'll say it - I'm wooly about baseball.....

Taog Redloh
03-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Only a matter of time before this team comes together. Cohen will eventually stop experimenting with people in the infield and will settle on Stovall-Alexander-Gridley-Lowe across the infield. Humphreys will battle Brown in LF and Robson and Rooker are settled barring a huge slump. Marrero should be the catcher until Kruger's arm heals then I think it's his job to lose. At that point Collins can DH.

Pitching's biggest problem will be picking the 3 starters. Hudson and Brown walk a few too many people but both got better from 1 week to the next. Ryan Rigby is the set up guy. Starting to think we might have a closer out of whoever the 4th starter is who becomes the odd man out, Smith, Humphreys or Young.

Biggest difference to me is the leap the pitching made from week 1 to 2. Even in week 1, FAU was getting a bunch of bloop base hits.

weblow
03-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Anyone know where Luke Alexander was this weekend? Didn't see him on the field or in the dugout Fri or Sat.

Coach34
03-01-2016, 01:21 PM
We are certainly improved from last year. Our season will hinge on what we do in the batter's box. Pitching and D will be good enough to win

War Machine Dawg
03-01-2016, 01:28 PM
We are certainly improved from last year. Our season will hinge on what we do in the batter's box. Pitching and D will be good enough to win

I don't trust the #HittingGuru

mic
03-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Anyone know where Luke Alexander was this weekend? Didn't see him on the field or in the dugout Fri or Sat.

Well obviously you weren't at the game or watch Firday since he started at SS...

Steakonastick
03-01-2016, 01:31 PM
He was sick Saturday and Sunday

dawgday166
03-01-2016, 01:40 PM
I don't trust the #HittingGuru

I tend to think this way ^^^^ I believe I like was Taog says tho.

weblow
03-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Well obviously you weren't at the game or watch Firday since he started at SS...

Actually I was at the game for the last couple of innings and didn't remember seeing him. I noticed on Sat he didn't play in either game and I didn't see him in the dugout.

Jack Lambert
03-01-2016, 01:47 PM
When or lose this weekend is going to go a long ways in getting our young guys jelled and ready for the SEC schedule.

AROB44
03-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Don't forget that we need to fire Cohen...

maroonmania
03-01-2016, 02:15 PM
Anyone get an injury status on Lovelady? The way his knee buckled I was concerned he may be done for the year.

Taog Redloh
03-01-2016, 02:31 PM
I tend to think this way ^^^^ I believe I like was Taog says tho.
Well I do think Cohen will err towards defense since we have some pretty good pitching, which will keep us in most games. In essence, a dialed down version of the small ball we used to play.

GTHOM
03-01-2016, 02:33 PM
I'm not trying to be that guy here but now everyone feels wooly about us after we beat Nicholls St and Umass Lowell?? I think we could be good and all but last weekend we were going to suck and needed to fire cohen

Coach34
03-01-2016, 03:16 PM
I'm not trying to be that guy here but now everyone feels wooly about us after we beat Nicholls St and Umass Lowell?? I think we could be good and all but last weekend we were going to suck and needed to fire cohen

No Mora Excuses

State82
03-01-2016, 03:16 PM
I'm not as impressed after these first two weekends as I thought I might be before the start but I'm still hanging on the fence. Next two weekends will tell a WHOLE lot.

Coach34
03-01-2016, 03:26 PM
We'll see more power arms this weekend than we have seen to this point. Curious myself to see how that translates in the batter's box after seeing these soft tossers coming at us the last 2 weeks

dawgday166
03-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Well I do think Cohen will err towards defense since we have some pretty good pitching, which will keep us in most games. In essence, a dialed down version of the small ball we used to play.

Maybe so ... that seemed to be the MO in '13. Not sure about it so far this year tho, since guys don't become great defensively at any position when being moved all over the place e.g. from C, to 3rd, to 2nd all in the span of a week. IMO, becoming great defensively in most cases means you put someone at a spot and they practice exhaustively only at that spot. There are guys occasionally who can move all over and be pretty darn good where ever, but they rare. And most great defensive teams have the same 2b, SS, and CF everyday.

So we'll see.

Edited to add a trivia question for the board: Name the MLB player who played the most positions throughout his career as an everyday player at each position ... and then name the positions?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer ... maybe not tho.

Taog Redloh
03-01-2016, 03:40 PM
We'll see more power arms this weekend than we have seen to this point. Curious myself to see how that translates in the batter's box after seeing these soft tossers coming at us the last 2 weeks
One prediction - Rooker will piss on a couple of those power arms over the weekend

Dawg61
03-01-2016, 04:04 PM
We are 0-2 vs the only team with a pulse we've played. How about letting us beat someone worth a shit before getting wood. Cohen sucks. He micromanages everything and handcuffs our hitters. He is the problem. Beating UMass Lowell fifty times in a row won't magically dissolve the real problem with this team.

bulldogcountry1
03-01-2016, 04:12 PM
I definitely feel more encouraged than I did this time last week, but there a few things I need to see to before I get too carried away. First off, we need to have someone emerge as a dominant reliever. That's really the reason we were below .500 last season. From now on, we have 3 game weekends, so we will have more options. I assume Daniel Brown is the odd man out in the weekend rotation even thought it would be more favorable to have a lefty starting. Blake Smith has looked good. Humphreys has potential, but he's pretty raw. Tatum can eat some innings, but he's still inconsistent. Young can still be a factor. Someone will step up. I just hope we don't lose too many games before we find out who that guy is.

Secondly, can we hit against good pitching? We probably aren't going to need 10 runs to win games this year, so I feel like if we struggle a bit, Cohen will revert back to small ball with our best defensive lineup. We have to cut back on the pop-ups and drive the ball. We are making good contact and only striking out 4.25 times a game, so that's not bad.

Schultzy
03-01-2016, 09:37 PM
It was encouraging to see none of the lead off doubles were followed by an attempted bunt this weekend and there were several lead off doubles.

Political Hack
03-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Team looks good. Pretty amazing when you can rotate the staff like that throughout a game. Wouldn't mind seeing it more to be honest. We can tee off on bad pitching without a doubt. To score that many runs without having to hit HRs is impressive. The first inning was the best 1st inning I can remember unde Cohen. If they can transition to SEC play its gonna be a fun, fun season.

engie
03-01-2016, 10:18 PM
Nicholls St has been a pretty good program the last 5 years. About on the level of Raffo's boys.

Todd4State
03-02-2016, 12:26 AM
I definitely feel more encouraged than I did this time last week, but there a few things I need to see to before I get too carried away. First off, we need to have someone emerge as a dominant reliever. That's really the reason we were below .500 last season. From now on, we have 3 game weekends, so we will have more options. I assume Daniel Brown is the odd man out in the weekend rotation even thought it would be more favorable to have a lefty starting. Blake Smith has looked good. Humphreys has potential, but he's pretty raw. Tatum can eat some innings, but he's still inconsistent. Young can still be a factor. Someone will step up. I just hope we don't lose too many games before we find out who that guy is.

Secondly, can we hit against good pitching? We probably aren't going to need 10 runs to win games this year, so I feel like if we struggle a bit, Cohen will revert back to small ball with our best defensive lineup. We have to cut back on the pop-ups and drive the ball. We are making good contact and only striking out 4.25 times a game, so that's not bad.

I like our bullpen options- Young, Tatum, Rigsby, Blake Smith, Humphreys- that's a lot of quality arms right there. Breaux will be a factor as well.

Everyone struggles against good pitching. But if we stay with our approach as you said it will give us a better chance. Plus we have some pitchers that will give us a fighting chance.

Being able to play some small ball and having guys that can do that might help us in those close games too. Sometimes the difference in a 1-0 game is a stolen base and then gets driven in because the player was able to get into scoring position. At the same time it's good to have some power guys because you need them in a slugfest or sometimes in a close game a guy that can hit one out might be the difference. That's why I like balance in a lineup. You get the best of both worlds.

Political Hack
03-02-2016, 07:55 AM
Why is no one talking about Ethan Small after that outing? He has elite stuff. Could be a HUGE lift to us this year.

And Kruger is a stud at the plate and doesn't apologize for it. He looks like what I thought Renfroe should have looked like.

msstate7
03-02-2016, 08:30 AM
I'm not wooly yet, but i will be if we win 2 this weekend. This is a big weekend for our baseball team

Jarius
03-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Why is no one talking about Ethan Small after that outing? He has elite stuff. Could be a HUGE lift to us this year.

And Kruger is a stud at the plate and doesn't apologize for it. He looks like what I thought Renfroe should have looked like.

Is he a 5 tool player? **

Ralph
03-02-2016, 08:52 AM
Anyone get an injury status on Lovelady? The way his knee buckled I was concerned he may be done for the year.

Pretty sure I read on Twitter he's done for the season. Sucks as he's damn good defensively behind the plate but good news we have 127 catchers on roster.

Def feeling better about season especially if we win 2 this weekend. FAU still undefeated.

msstate7
03-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Can we fill lovelady's spot on the active roster with Reynolds or not?

BeachDawg
03-02-2016, 09:01 AM
Cohen confirmed in the post game interview that Lovelady is out for the season. He also said that Kruger may be able to catch either the South Alabama midweek game or the Oregon weekend.

Political Hack
03-02-2016, 09:13 AM
Is he a 5 tool player? **

Yeah, maybe I should clarify my earlier statement. "Kruger looks like what I thought Renfroe should've looked like AT THE PLATE." I'd love to see a catcher showing off his speed, but I suppose hitting over .500 will suffice.

BiscuitEater
03-02-2016, 11:46 AM
In essence, a dialed down version of the small ball we used to play.

How can you call it 'that' when 44 of our 105 hits (42%) are for extra bases, everyone has a 'green light' on first pitches, and we have seldom bunted over anyone so far?

Coach34
03-02-2016, 11:50 AM
Yeah, maybe I should clarify my earlier statement. "Kruger looks like what I thought Renfroe should've looked like AT THE PLATE." I'd love to see a catcher showing off his speed, but I suppose hitting over .500 will suffice.

Lon Kruger looks better at the plate than Renfroe ever did.

BiscuitEater
03-02-2016, 12:13 PM
We are 0-2 vs the only team with a pulse we've played. How about letting us beat someone worth a shit before getting wood.

You were ready to fire Cohen last May. So far, we have out hit every team in every game except one this year. In that first series, 18 players made their 'first ever' appearance as a Bulldog ..

True FR making first appearances (7) .. Elih Marrero, Hunter Stovall, Luke Alexander, Jake Mangum, Hunter Stovall, Cole Gordon, Jake Mangum
Transfers making first appearances (2) .. Jack Kruger (TR), Nathaniel Lowe (TR)
True FR pitchers making first appearances (5) ..Kale Breaux, Ethan Small, Noah Hughes, Jared Padgett, Ryan Cyr
Transfer pitchers making first appearances (2) Blake Smith, Ryan Rigby
+ Making first Bulldog appearance .. Jacob Billingsley (RS SO)

Cohen SAID that he was going to play a lot of 'new' guys to get them some experience. Apparently, you just weren't listening.

He micromanages everything and handcuffs our hitters.

Have you watched a single game? Cohen has given EVERYONE the green light. We are swinging at FIRST pitches. We rarely have bunted to move runners. 'How' exactly has he handcuffed out hitters? Please explain.

Cohen sucks. He is the problem.

Your hatred definitely runs deep and to this day, I have NOT heard a single other person corroborate your story about Cohen last year. Not a player, not a parent, not a recruit .. NOBODY. You remember this from last year? Want to explain why not a single person can back up your post?

Dawg61 5/16/2015 08:02 ..

Yes and it changed from a no after I had a lengthy (off and on discussion for 9 innings) with the father of a prized recruit that plays for the Dodgers team in Memphis. I got very detailed information on a recruiting visit he attended along with his wife and of course his son (being recruited heavily by MSU). It's easily enough for me to want Cohen gone now especially with the piss-poor managing skills he displayed all year long. We can do much better than Cohen. He has gone full certified. Next year is his last although I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Stricklin will do exactly the same thing with baseball that he did with basketball in the next two weeks.

Basically the scenario that was told to me is that there was a large group meeting with coaches, players, recruits and their families. Butch gets up and talks in detail about how important church is and will be moving forward for the team. No problem there. Then Cohen gets up and goes full mental. GD this GD that fu@k this fu@k that type of speech.

And yet we ended up with a great signing class. Go figure.

Taog Redloh
03-02-2016, 04:32 PM
How can you call it 'that' when 44 of our 105 hits (42%) are for extra bases, everyone has a 'green light' on first pitches, and we have seldom bunted over anyone so far?
Learn to read, bro. I said that's what we likely will BECOME. And I for one hope we do. Like another poster said, similar to how we were built in 2013.

maroonmania
03-02-2016, 04:50 PM
Pretty sure I read on Twitter he's done for the season. Sucks as he's damn good defensively behind the plate but good news we have 127 catchers on roster.

Def feeling better about season especially if we win 2 this weekend. FAU still undefeated.

That hurts our depth for sure and will likely push Collins back behind the plate in some games unless we are truly serious about Stovall being a part time catcher. Will Kruger be healthy enough to catch at some point this season?

Todd4State
03-02-2016, 05:43 PM
That hurts our depth for sure and will likely push Collins back behind the plate in some games unless we are truly serious about Stovall being a part time catcher. Will Kruger be healthy enough to catch at some point this season?

Highly unlikely barring tons of injuries that Collins catches this year.

baseballfan
03-02-2016, 09:09 PM

I've been saying the same thing. Kruger is the real deal. he's a great hitter. Small is also a stud. He will get better every time he pitches. Stovall is showing out too. I really like Marerro and Hudson is looking really good and confident. The future is bright.

Todd4State
03-02-2016, 10:15 PM

Small has a chance to be a first round pick in three years. We just have a lot of veteran pitchers right now and that is limiting his opportunities right now. He and Breaux could be a force for us later in the year though.

Todd4State
03-02-2016, 10:16 PM
Can we fill lovelady's spot on the active roster with Reynolds or not?

I don't believe so.

Dawg61
03-02-2016, 10:44 PM
@Biscuit I'm not reading all that. Call me when we beat someone worth a shit. We're about to get skull****ed this weekend.

Backspin
03-02-2016, 11:39 PM
Looking forward to finding out more about this team over the next 2 weekends. Hope I end up being as "wooly" as some but I haven't seen enough yet. We have hit well against pitching we will not see in the SEC and won't see over these next 2 weekends. Pitching looked better last weekend but again the hitters we faced were nothing like we will see going forward. Should be an interesting and hopefully fun weekend....looking forward to it.

sleepy dawg
03-03-2016, 01:14 AM
I'll be posting a way too early Runs Created soon. I use the advanced formula here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/3/c/6/3c6c63e3b6593f333f75fe535d16b25f.png

A:https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/f/0/4/f049289824683d7dfaab7e9671bc424b.png

B:https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/3/5/8/35898cfd763505ae5a1b2c622365d044.png

C:https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/2/3/4/234ae531175c4030f0c16abeecbcd1f5.png

Backwoodsdawg
03-03-2016, 10:59 AM
I don't believe so.

Reynolds is gone! Be kinda hard to now!

Taog Redloh
03-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Reynolds is gone! Be kinda hard to now!
He's still on the roster. How do you know he won't come back once he looks at the situation realistically? 2 OF spots will most likely be up for grabs next year. And honestly, if you can't make an SEC roster, do you honestly expect to play pro ball for any real length of time, much less get drafted?

I hope he sticks around and plays next year. He's an MSU guy, hopefully he does.