PDA

View Full Version : Steve is saying Brian Baker new DL coach

Really Clark?
02-29-2016, 03:27 PM
Just came over on Twitter.

Jack Lambert
02-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Is this him?

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Brian-Baker-Named-Outside-Linebacker-Coach/5345cadc-39c6-4363-849c-9c0c6453d518

vv83
02-29-2016, 03:31 PM
Who is he?

Homedawg
02-29-2016, 03:32 PM
That's him

vv83
02-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Is this him?

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Brian-Baker-Named-Outside-Linebacker-Coach/5345cadc-39c6-4363-849c-9c0c6453d518

Always love getting NFL coaches on staff

Really Clark?
02-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Is this him?

Yep. That's him

Big4Dawg
02-29-2016, 03:36 PM
Was he let go at the Redskins after last season or what? Can't find much about him. Seems weird he would leave NFL for position coach.

What's his connection to staff?

Big4Dawg
02-29-2016, 03:37 PM
http://www.redskins.com/team/coaches.html

This answers my question - not listed on redskins website. So we hired a ex-NFL coach who doesn't have a job? Not impressed

Jack Lambert
02-29-2016, 03:39 PM
I think he was coaching at GA Tech when they won their NC.

miketice
02-29-2016, 03:39 PM
I'm sure he will be great. He hasn't stayed in one place very long though if we are looking for more stability.

MafiaDawg
02-29-2016, 03:41 PM
The last player he recruited is 40 years old now. You don't stay employed in the NFL for 20 years not knowing how to coach but the recruiting aspect concerns me.

Really Clark?
02-29-2016, 03:41 PM

That's right.

MadisonDawg
02-29-2016, 03:42 PM

http://coachesinc.com/bio.aspx?id=45
Was the LBs coach

Big4Dawg
02-29-2016, 03:43 PM
The last player he recruited is 40 years old now. You don't stay employed in the NFL for 20 years not knowing how to coach but the recruiting aspect concerns me.

Don't tell Croom that.

state66
02-29-2016, 03:43 PM
The guy wasnt retained by a brand new defensive coordinator. Redskins players raved about him. Were getting a solid coach, dont know what were getting in terms of recruiting.

Political Hack
02-29-2016, 03:48 PM
The guy wasnt retained by a brand new defensive coordinator. Redskins players raved about him. Were getting a solid coach, dont know what were getting in terms of recruiting.

We need a DL coach that can motivate players. Sounds like a player's coach, which is promising to me. Also, if the pro guys liked him recruits and mommas will probably like him too. That's a good first sign at least.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-29-2016, 03:54 PM

Yep...great points! Ryan Kerrigan gives him a ton of credit for his development and improvement last year. http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/13597/ryan-kerrigan-improves-as-a-rusher-eyes-more

"This has been a focus since the end of his first season. Kerrigan tends to round his rushes, taking him off the path to the quarterback; it's something rookie Trent Murphy must now combat. For the first time, though, he's had a coach dedicated to helping develop pass-rushers in Brian Baker....

Baker drills it into his players every day, with similar pass-rush drills that they performed in training camp.

“Even if it's on a Friday practice and things are lighter," Kerrigan said, "he'll be like, 'Stay on your track.'"....

“All pass-rushers, once they get close to the quarterback, get enamored with the quarterback,” Baker said. “That quarterback almost starts to be a distraction. Obviously that's the target so you don't want to be distracted by the target. You want to see the guy because he's going to move, so do I concentrate on the tackle or the quarterback? Well, you have to feel the tackle, feel where his weight is at and anticipate where you are in relation to the quarterback. All those things are repetition. The get off ... and the angle ... we've got that down pretty good.”"

BrunswickDawg
02-29-2016, 03:54 PM
We need a DL coach that can motivate players. Sounds like a player's coach, which is promising to me. Also, if the pro guys liked him recruits and mommas will probably like him too. That's a good first sign at least.

Deleted

Really Clark?
02-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Don't tell Croom that.

OLB/DL coach Brian Baker tells @ESPNRadio980 he is NOT being retained by the #Redskins & new DC Joe Barry/Jay Gruden. Did a great job in '14

Surprised by Baker. Thought he did a very good job. Seemed to really help Kerrigan in particular... John Keim

Tarik El-Bashir ✔‎@TarikCSN
Kerrigan repeatedly credited Baker w/helping him improve pass rush angles, etc. But you know what?Coaches like to bring aboard 'their guys'.

“Before, I was straight up the hashes and now I'm cutting off inside,” he said. “That's how I know if I'm rushing on the right angle.”

The sack/fumble on the first play of the game against Indianapolis provided proof. He went straight at the tackle, doing what a rusher must do: quickly close the space between him and the tackle.

“When I got there I saw there was a little space on the edge and I was able to knock his hands down without getting too wide,” Kerrigan said.

Baker drills it into his players every day, with similar pass-rush drills that they performed in training camp.

“Even if it's on a Friday practice and things are lighter," Kerrigan said, "he'll be like, 'Stay on your track.'"

Has a good track record in the league among coaches and players it seems. Getting a very experienced NFL guy is usually a good thing.

Big4Dawg
02-29-2016, 04:01 PM
https://vimeo.com/123651203

He's coming for you Freeze - except he seems real.

Coach34
02-29-2016, 04:11 PM
Don't tell Croom that.

Croom would have been a very good RB's coach at State...we hired him for a position he wasnt qualified for

Really Clark?
02-29-2016, 04:11 PM
https://vimeo.com/123651203

He's coming for you Freeze - except he seems real.

He seems to fill gaps, besides just the coaching part, from some really good men and coaches who just left. I like him more and more I read and listen.

maroonmania
02-29-2016, 04:19 PM

Well, we know 3 of the 4 defensive coaches are very good recruiters and surely Baker can't be any worse than a couple of the recruiters we continue to carry on the offensive side of the ball.

BrunswickDawg
02-29-2016, 04:23 PM

He was DC for that team - and was on staff during their "Black Watch" Defense era of the mid 80s with Pat Swilling. Those D's were stout - especially by GT standards.

BankerDog
02-29-2016, 04:30 PM
He was DC for that team - and was on staff during their "Black Watch" Defense era of the mid 80s with Pat Swilling. Those D's were stout - especially by GT standards.

Interesting. We've offered both of the Swilling twins for this class. They are legit ball players. Hopefully this helps us.

smootness
02-29-2016, 04:31 PM

According to his bio, he was LB coach in 90, became DC in 95. Either way, though, this seems like a great hire. Anyone claiming they aren't impressed is insane.

CadaverDawg
02-29-2016, 04:31 PM
OLB coaching experience for a DL coach....starting to think we see a lot more 3-4 sets moving forward. Maybe I'm wrong. Did Sirmon play under Baker? Could be a connection there.

Joe Schmedlap
02-29-2016, 04:35 PM
Don't tell Croom that.

Zing!!!

BrunswickDawg
02-29-2016, 04:40 PM
According to his bio, he was LB coach in 90, became DC in 95. Either way, though, this seems like a great hire. Anyone claiming they aren't impressed is insane.
I skimmed the dates wrong - but yeah, a Swilling connection couldn't hurt.

Really Clark?
02-29-2016, 04:58 PM
OLB coaching experience for a DL coach....starting to think we see a lot more 3-4 sets moving forward. Maybe I'm wrong. Did Sirmon play under Baker? Could be a connection there.

No. Baker never coached the Titans

smootness
02-29-2016, 04:59 PM

He spent the large majority of his career coaching the DL, though.

tcdog70
02-29-2016, 05:04 PM
He spent the large majority of his career coaching the DL, though.

anyone not liking this hire is just a negative idiot. You mean He can coach the DL for the Redskins but wouldn't be good for MSU? I think our defensive staff has improved big time.

defiantdog
02-29-2016, 05:04 PM
We're starting to copy Saban's way of thinking and going after NFL type coaches.

ShotgunDawg
02-29-2016, 05:06 PM
I like that he's got a good but of DC experience. That could really help Sirmon in his first year.

Commercecomet24
02-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Dan has to get a good grade for the hires he's made this spring. I believe we have hired some top notch people. Now they just have to put in the work.

msstate7
02-29-2016, 05:08 PM
I like that he's got a good but of DC experience. That could really help Sirmon in his first year.

And he can replace Sirmon after Sirmon stays his 1 year**

CadaverDawg
02-29-2016, 05:11 PM
I have no problem with this hire. Maybe not a huge name, but you can't put a price tag on a guy with that much NFL experience. We've addressed major recruiting concerns, so hopefully he is a big technique developer first and foremost. It's always easier to recruit when you can say, "I coached NFL DL-men for __ years, and you've got the talent...now let me teach you the technique that will get you to the League". So that alone should make him a decent recruiter.

Dawgtini
02-29-2016, 05:12 PM

This is a good bit of DL experience...
BAKER FOOTBALL TIMELINE

1980-83: Linebacker, Maryland

1984: Student Coach, Maryland

1985: Graduate Assistant, Maryland

1986: Fullbacks Coach, Army

1987-94: Linebackers Coach, Georgia Tech

1995: Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach, Georgia Tech

1996: Defensive Line Coach, San Diego Chargers

1997-2000: Defensive Line Coach, Detroit Lions

2001: Defensive Line Coach, Minnesota Vikings

2002-03: Linebackers Coach, Minnesota Vikings

2004-05: Defensive Line Coach, Minnesota Vikings

2006-08: Defensive Line Coach, St. Louis Rams

2009-10: Defensive Line Coach, Carolina Panthers

2011-12: Defensive Line Coach, Dallas Cowboys

2013: Outside Linebackers Coach, Cleveland Browns

Dawgtini
02-29-2016, 05:13 PM
Dan has to get a good grade for the hires he's made this spring. I believe we have hired some top notch people. Now they just have to put in the work.

+1 Agree completely.

CadaverDawg
02-29-2016, 05:15 PM
This is a good bit of DL experience...
BAKER FOOTBALL TIMELINE

1980-83: Linebacker, Maryland

1984: Student Coach, Maryland

1985: Graduate Assistant, Maryland

1986: Fullbacks Coach, Army

1987-94: Linebackers Coach, Georgia Tech

1995: Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach, Georgia Tech

1996: Defensive Line Coach, San Diego Chargers

1997-2000: Defensive Line Coach, Detroit Lions

2001: Defensive Line Coach, Minnesota Vikings

2002-03: Linebackers Coach, Minnesota Vikings

2004-05: Defensive Line Coach, Minnesota Vikings

2006-08: Defensive Line Coach, St. Louis Rams

2009-10: Defensive Line Coach, Carolina Panthers

2011-12: Defensive Line Coach, Dallas Cowboys

2013: Outside Linebackers Coach, Cleveland Browns

Oh I agree. I think people are taking that post of mine wrong....I just think with his combo of LB and DL experience, he might be a perfect guy to coach a 3-4 technique to DL-men & OLB'ers. But I'm probably reading too deep into it. I think it's a solid hire. Hopefully he and Sirmon are excited to work together.

Really Clark?
02-29-2016, 05:20 PM
Oh I agree. I think people are taking that post of mine wrong....I just think with his combo of LB and DL experience, he might be a perfect guy to coach a 3-4 technique to DL-men & OLB'ers. But I'm probably reading too deep into it. I think it's a solid hire. Hopefully he and Sirmon are excited to work together.

No. You are exactly right. It's not uncommon to see DL coaches, especially ones who do well with DE's, coach the OLB in 3-4 schemes.

mic
02-29-2016, 05:26 PM
It's not like Turner was pulling guys in from outside the state anyway.. Yes he is probably one of the main reason we got Simmons, but a recruiting guru he wasn't...
We just hired a major upgrade with an X and O coach...

Now maybe we will go hire a young up and coming DL guy under him... In a quality control position...

Commercecomet24
02-29-2016, 05:28 PM
It's not like Turner was pulling guys in from outside the state anyway.. Yes he is probably one of the main reason we got Simmons, but a recruiting guru he wasn't...

Now maybe we will young up and coming DL guy under him... In a quality control position...

Exactly!

Commercecomet24
02-29-2016, 05:29 PM
The hires so far seem to be a good mix of guys that can recruit and guys that can coach.

blacklistedbully
02-29-2016, 05:51 PM
Baker put a heavy emphasis on teaching technique, angles, hand fighting, and forcing turnovers during training camp and throughout the year. Ryan Kerrigan consistently praised Baker's influence before, during and after the season. Kerrigan finished the best year of his career with 13.5 sacks(7th in NFL) and 5 forced fumbles(T-1st in NFL). On the other side of the ball, Brian Orakpo had a down year with several injuries, finishing with only .5 sacks and on IR. Orakpo was reportedly not as receptive to Baker's instructions. Rookie Trent Murphy replaced Orakpo and started 8 games, finishing with 2.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles.

BulldogBacker
02-29-2016, 05:59 PM
Baker put a heavy emphasis on teaching technique, angles, hand fighting, and forcing turnovers during training camp and throughout the year. Ryan Kerrigan consistently praised Baker's influence before, during and after the season. Kerrigan finished the best year of his career with 13.5 sacks(7th in NFL) and 5 forced fumbles(T-1st in NFL). On the other side of the ball, Brian Orakpo had a down year with several injuries, finishing with only .5 sacks and on IR. Orakpo was reportedly not as receptive to Baker's instructions. Rookie Trent Murphy replaced Orakpo and started 8 games, finishing with 2.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles.

I saw a video of Coach Baker and he spoke in terms of football coaching being part of his Christian ministry. I think this is not only needed, but also will be well received by parents of recruits.

maroonmania
02-29-2016, 06:04 PM

Now maybe we will go hire a young up and coming DL guy under him... In a quality control position...

Just me but losing Turner is nowhere near the impact of losing Hughes. I mean if Turner had gotten us Brown from GA (the one with MSU parents) that would have been impressive but getting one highly coveted guy that is a stone's throw away from campus was good, but shouldn't be irreplaceable. Just don't remember Turner pulling in a lot of top shelf guys as the primary. As far as coaching, just seems like Turner did well in some cases (like Preston Smith) and just average to below average with others (like Chris Jones). Hopefully the new guy has some charisma even though he has not been in the recruiting game in a long time.

blacklistedbully
02-29-2016, 06:05 PM
Check out these videos of an interview he gave a few years ago. How could you not be pumped about getting this guy? Looks like a home run hire to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PuXlyUn8yg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMWsivcRXsE

War Machine Dawg
02-29-2016, 08:35 PM
Croom would have been a very good RB's coach at State...we hired him for a position he wasnt qualified for

Exactly. Not being a good HC doesn't mean you aren't a good coordinator or a good position coach. There's a ton of difference.

Dallas_Dawg
02-29-2016, 09:06 PM
Exactly. Not being a good HC doesn't mean you aren't a good coordinator or a good position coach. There's a ton of difference.

I don't know, Tennessee's RBs are pretty shitty. He rode Barry sanders and Ahman Green to the title of "great RB coach"

dawgday166
02-29-2016, 09:21 PM
I don't know, Tennessee's RBs are pretty shitty. He rode Barry sanders and Ahman Green to the title of "great RB coach"

That may be. I've often wondered how he was Detroit's O coordinator when they produced the first tandem 1000 yd receivers in league history with Scott Mitchell at QB. I scratch my head on that one, even with Barry as the RB.

djaymsu5
02-29-2016, 10:16 PM
I'm excited to see what this guy does with Simmons and co.

War Machine Dawg
03-01-2016, 12:34 AM
That may be. I've often wondered how he was Detroit's O coordinator when they produced the first tandem 1000 yd receivers in league history with Scott Mitchell at QB. I scratch my head on that one, even with Barry as the RB.

Look, I hate Croom and what he did to our program as much as anyone. So far as I'm concerned, he's the worst coach in school history and bilked us for millions. He deserves every ounce of criticism he gets for his time as a HC. But the guy can flat coach some RBs. Ahmad Green was very average with a severe case of fumblitis before Croom got him. Green himself credited Croom with his improvement. As for the Titans RBs - you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Not a single guy on that roster would start for another NFL team. Dexter McCluster is a slot WR with shitty hands. There's a reason Tennessee fired their GM recently.

Again, being a shitty HC is in no way indicative of one's ability as an assistant. The responsibilities are completely different. Being a HC is all about motivation, delegation, and setting the priorities/direction of your program/franchise. The actual football part of the job is further down the list.

But all this is derailing the initial thread. Let's just agree we hired a damn good DL coach, assuming he can croot. He's definitely an X & O upgrade. I'd have loved to see what he could've done with Jones.

TrapGame
03-01-2016, 12:44 AM
The hires so far seem to be a good mix of guys that can recruit and guys that can coach.

Mullen might be putting together the best staff he's ever had at State.

Reason2succeed
03-01-2016, 01:27 AM
Mullen might be putting together the best staff he's ever had at State.

When this is the only defensive coach without a recruiting pedigree but he still has that many years of NFL experience our talent level is going to rise. The guy is well groomed, articulate and has a long NFL resume. That will sell in living rooms. When he uses the hard work pitch Mullen requires it will go over because he has experience to back it up. (He also needs to get some of his former players to pitch in with a video message to recruits too.)

Muller wants to see dominant defense. It seems like the coaches are also technicians which I like.

On the flip side if Baker's DL starts dominating our OL in practice like Bama did them last year then we might actually see a change there too. We can only hope.

To the doomsayers pipe down and judge the program by what's on the field.

dawgday166
03-01-2016, 07:33 AM
Look, I hate Croom and what he did to our program as much as anyone. So far as I'm concerned, he's the worst coach in school history and bilked us for millions. He deserves every ounce of criticism he gets for his time as a HC. But the guy can flat coach some RBs. Ahmad Green was very average with a severe case of fumblitis before Croom got him. Green himself credited Croom with his improvement. As for the Titans RBs - you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Not a single guy on that roster would start for another NFL team. Dexter McCluster is a slot WR with shitty hands. There's a reason Tennessee fired their GM recently.

Again, being a shitty HC is in no way indicative of one's ability as an assistant. The responsibilities are completely different. Being a HC is all about motivation, delegation, and setting the priorities/direction of your program/franchise. The actual football part of the job is further down the list.

But all this is derailing the initial thread. Let's just agree we hired a damn good DL coach, assuming he can croot. He's definitely an X & O upgrade. I'd have loved to see what he could've done with Jones.

Dan needs to work on what's highlighted in bold IMO. Now with this new D staff in place, Dan might want to consider telling them he wants an aggressive, attacking D and then getting the hell out of the way. He should then go work on the offensive woes that plague us. And he should do a better job of getting the guys to relax and ball out in the bigger games against the better opponents.