PDA

View Full Version : Collins is a Liability in the field.

preachermatt83
02-28-2016, 06:36 PM
Put Gridley at 2nd, Alexander at SS, and Hump at 3rd.

I seen it dawg
02-28-2016, 06:38 PM
Thank you capt obvious. You see Hump yesterday play third? Well we don't have one.

msstate7
02-28-2016, 06:41 PM
I'd rather see...

Alexander -- 3b
Gridley -- SS
Stovall -- 2b

Not saying I'd stick with it, but I wanna see more of this

mic
02-28-2016, 06:44 PM
I'd rather see...

Alexander -- 3b
Gridley -- SS
Stovall -- 2b

Not saying I'd stick with it, but I wanna see more of this

You will see a combo of those 3 and holland late in games when we have the lead..

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-28-2016, 06:46 PM
You will in the late innings when we have a lead....
So you're saying we'll never see it?***

I seen it dawg
02-28-2016, 06:47 PM
We need Collins with his head screwed on straight and his bat in the lineup. Until Kruger can play in the field we are stuck with having Collins and Hump, both defensive liabilities, playing in the field. We need Collins at DH, Stovall the utility guy and in the lineup everyday hitting 2 hole, and Gridley at SS. Alexander fits into it somewhere and of course Hump is gonna play regardless.

mic
02-28-2016, 06:54 PM
I bet we are the only team in college baseball that have 4 catchers and No TRUE third baseman on the roster..

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-28-2016, 06:59 PM
We need Collins with his head screwed on straight and his bat in the lineup. Until Kruger can play in the field we are stuck with having Collins and Hump, both defensive liabilities, playing in the field. We need Collins at DH, Stovall the utility guy and in the lineup everyday hitting 2 hole, and Gridley at SS. Alexander fits into it somewhere and of course Hump is gonna play regardless.
I'm not trying to start another argument with you, I'm genuinely curious. What do you see in Collins that makes him so valuable to the lineup compared to Hump? Without looking at his career stats, I'd imagine they are comparable. And his progression as a hitter seems to be about the same as well.

I seen it dawg
02-28-2016, 07:04 PM
I'm not trying to start another argument with you, I'm genuinely curious. What do you see in Collins that makes him so valuable to the lineup compared to Hump? Without looking at his career stats, I'd imagine they are comparable. And his progression as a hitter seems to be about the same as well.

Seen a lot more of Hump due to Collins being hurt. However, Collins is harder to pitch to than Hump. The argument for Hump is power but we have to HOPE to get it thru the swings and misses. Hump holes at the plate are glaring, Collins with some regular ABs doesn't have the holes Hump does.

mic
02-28-2016, 07:10 PM
Seen a lot more of Hump due to Collins being hurt. However, Collins is harder to pitch to than Hump. The argument for Hump is power but we have to HOPE to get it thru the swings and misses. Hump holes at the plate are glaring, Collins with some regular ABs doesn't have the holes Hump does.

Too add...
In a key AB who Would you rather have at the plate..??. Hump or Collins.... That answer is easy.. Collins...

msstate7
02-28-2016, 07:12 PM
Too add...
In a key AB who Would you rather have at the plate..??. Hump or Collins.... That answer is easy.. Collins...

Probably so, but I saw hump come thru vs lsu last year so he's capable

msstate7
02-28-2016, 07:15 PM
Delete

Bucky Dog
02-28-2016, 07:43 PM
I'm not trying to defend any of these players but I am just so against Cohen moving everyone around in the field and in the batting order. I know I keep harping on this but any of you that have played, like me, enjoy the opportunity of practicing and playing in the same position each day. It is really hard to go from playing LF and then start at third. Or even go from catcher to third, or second. You use different gloves, have a different mentality and techniques for each position.

What is our fall program for and preseason if we can never decide who is playing what position and where they are batting in the order?? Again, not making excuses for players lack of production, but consistency breeds confidence which translates to production.

dawgday166
02-28-2016, 07:51 PM
I'm not trying to defend any of these players but I am just so against Cohen moving everyone around in the field and in the batting order. I know I keep harping on this but any of you that have played, like me, enjoy the opportunity of practicing and playing in the same position each day. It is really hard to go from playing LF and then start at third. Or even go from catcher to third, or second. You use different gloves, have a different mentality and techniques for each position.

What is our fall program for and preseason if we can never decide who is playing what position and where they are batting in the order?? Again, not making excuses for players lack of production, but consistency breeds confidence which translates to production.

I can't see nothing wrong with this argument. Left side of field vs right side takes a good adjustment too.

Very few players have the true utility man mentality.

CadaverDawg
02-28-2016, 08:04 PM

I'm with you, Bucky. I think we're really killing ourselves with the lack of consistency both in the batting order and in the field. You recruited these guys, watched them in the summer and fall leagues, watch them every damn day in practice, and see them in scrimmages....at what point does Cohen have to KNOW his damn team well enough to feel confident in a batting order and defense? Good grief, it should not take this yearly musical chairs to figure out who our players are. Cohen needs to just stop tinkering with shit and put his best out there and let em play. Every game is not a game of chess that Cohen has to put his personal stamp on, but he can't seem to figure it out. His ultimate downfall will be his unwillingness to get the hell out of his own way.

I'm glad we won this weekend, but I've seen enough already to where I'll be shocked if we're higher than a 3 seed at best....but as always I'll be right there cheering until the bitter end. Just can't stand the over-managing.

Great weekend by our pitchers. Looks like we're going to really need them this year.

Todd4State
02-28-2016, 08:21 PM
I'm with you, Bucky. I think we're really killing ourselves with the lack of consistency both in the batting order and in the field. You recruited these guys, watched them in the summer and fall leagues, watch them every damn day in practice, and see them in scrimmages....at what point does Cohen have to KNOW his damn team well enough to feel confident in a batting order and defense? Good grief, it should not take this yearly musical chairs to figure out who our players are. Cohen needs to just stop tinkering with shit and put his best out there and let em play. Every game is not a game of chess that Cohen has to put his personal stamp on, but he can't seem to figure it out. His ultimate downfall will be his unwillingness to get the hell out of his own way.

I'm glad we won this weekend, but I've seen enough already to where I'll be shocked if we're higher than a 3 seed at best....but as always I'll be right there cheering until the bitter end. Just can't stand the over-managing.

Great weekend by our pitchers. Looks like we're going to really need them this year.

Guess what? Moving players around from time to time is part of it. Slumps happen- and then a guy needs a day off. He has played basically the same people just about every day this year and people still bitch about it.

War Machine Dawg
02-28-2016, 08:39 PM

Nailed it. 82 straight games without the same lineup. It's all about Cohen and his need to be the smartest guy on the diamond. And the worst part is it costs us wins. I had high hopes for Cohen, but it's obvious at this point his ego is out of control. The wheels have completely come off after the Championship Series run in '13. But hey, we'll go be a 3 seed in Bucksnort, so Cohen can stay for life - especially since he has the perpetual free pass from '13.

War Machine Dawg
02-28-2016, 08:40 PM
Guess what? Moving players around from time to time is part of it. Slumps happen- and then a guy needs a day off. He has played basically the same people just about every day this year and people still bitch about it.

That isn't what people are bitching about and you ****ing know it. But keep spinning for The Meddler. That's what you do.

Todd4State
02-28-2016, 08:50 PM
That isn't what people are bitching about and you ****ing know it. But keep spinning for The Meddler. That's what you do.

Then what are they bitching about? Stick to football. That's the only thing they teach at South Panola anyway based on their graduation rates.

We've played the same ****ing people. It's bitching to bitch at this point is all it is.

Oh- and by the way, you took up for Dan Mullen early in season circa USM just as much if not more than I took up for Cohen so enough of that "spinning" bullshit. At least "my guy" gets a perpetual pass for making it to the NC round while yours is getting one for the ****ing Liberty Bowl.

Todd4State
02-28-2016, 09:03 PM
And to take it a step further, we have five players that have started all eight games, one who has started 7 and that's Humphreys who later pitched in the game he didn't start, and then Collins who has started every game except the two he was suspended for and would have undoubtably started otherwise. They basically means that we have been rotating basically 1-2 guys a game otherwise except for catcher which no ones starts every game anyway.

engie
02-28-2016, 09:24 PM
The lineup whining kills me.

So -- who deserves to have their ass firmly and permanently planted on the bench based on what we have seen thusfar? Who has played themselves out of a role on the team at this point? I'm betting I'll be waiting a long time on that answer -- because none of them have. Bitching for the sake of hearing yourselves bitch is all that is.

Taog Redloh
02-28-2016, 09:41 PM
The lineup whining kills me.

So -- who deserves to have their ass firmly and permanently planted on the bench based on what we have seen thusfar? Who has played themselves out of a role on the team at this point? I'm betting I'll be waiting a long time on that answer -- because none of them have. Bitching for the sake of hearing yourselves bitch is all that is.

Humphreys and Collins. Oh, Humphreys got 2 hits today? I don't care.

Don't break out the stats either, I don't care what his average is. Rooker and Kruger have the RBIs. And if you are looking at stats, it paints Lowe in a bad light. But that guy has hit the ball hard every game. 1 strikeout thus far.

Taog Redloh
02-28-2016, 09:44 PM
I'd rather see...

Gridley -- SS

We need Collins at DH, Stovall the utility guy and in the lineup everyday hitting 2 hole, and Gridley at SS.

Gridley should NOT be the SS.

This isn't hard. Stovall, Alexander and Gridley at 5-6-4. Stovall and Gridley have to play no matter what. I substitute defense at SS and Alexander has it. Gridley simply does not have his range, and is a better at 2B. Those boots by he and Collins will cost us vs. good teams.

This team will soon find its identity. We looked a lot better this weekend than last. At this point, I'd rather lean on pitching and defense a little more than offense.

Jarius
02-29-2016, 08:52 AM
There is a big difference in moving people around and what Cohen does. We had 51 straight different lineups last year. I'm ok with it this early in the year, but he needs to find a lineup and stick with it (unless someone needs a day off or someone is in a horrible slump) after another couple of weeks. He has had an entire fall, winter, and will have nearly a month of the season to figure it out. If you are still trying to decide late in the season then you don't have anyone in most cases. Sort of like people who play 2 quarterbacks with the same skill set throughout the year. It's usually because neither are worth a crap.

engie
02-29-2016, 09:22 AM
So I'll ask again -- WHO earned their spot and was thusly untouchable last year(LOL)? Oh yeah -- the one guy that had a consistent role.

The funny thing about all of this bitching is that once guys earn their roles he lets them keep it. Countless examples of this. But ultimately we've got a faction that thinks guys need their little pat on the head and their guaranteed spot in the 4 hole every day before they can perform. In other words -- we've got people longing for Ron Polk now.

Jarius
02-29-2016, 09:38 AM
Maybe if he wasn't yanking people in and out of the lineup so Much they could get more comfortable and produce. It's his job to recruit players that can produce and it's also his job to know which ones will be able to produce once the season rolls around. I'm not a Cohen hater and I think we will have a pretty good squad this year, but let's not act like he doesn't have his faults and tinkering with the lineup as much as he does is One of them.

Taog Redloh
02-29-2016, 09:56 AM
Maybe if he wasn't yanking people in and out of the lineup so Much they could get more comfortable and produce. It's his job to recruit players that can produce and it's also his job to know which ones will be able to produce once the season rolls around. I'm not a Cohen hater and I think we will have a pretty good squad this year, but let's not act like he doesn't have his faults and tinkering with the lineup as much as he does is One of them.
He's not doing that this year you dumbsh*t. That's what you don't get. Robson, Kruger, Lowe, Gridley and Rooker have all started every game, with Marrero close behind. That's all the 'core' you really need. None of the rest have earned a position.

You people complaining about lineup tinkering have missed your time. You had that chance in 2014 and 2015. It's just not true anymore.

Jarius
02-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Do you feel better about yourself now that you got it off of your chest? I hope So. I am not complaining about the way he has done things so far this year. I'm just pointing out that his MO for the past few years has been to constantly tinker with the lineup and that does not work the overwhelming majority of the time. But no, you are very wrong in the fact that our lineup currently has enough consistency for it to work for the remainder of the year.

He's not doing that this year you dumbsh*t. That's what you don't get. Robson, Kruger, Lowe, Gridley and Rooker have all started every game, with Marrero close behind. That's all the 'core' you really need. None of the rest have earned a position.

You people complaining about lineup tinkering have missed your time. You had that chance in 2014 and 2015. It's just not true anymore.

Taog Redloh
02-29-2016, 10:19 AM
Do you feel better about yourself now that you got it off of your chest? I hope So. I am not complaining about the way he has done things so far this year. I'm just pointing out that his MO for the past few years has been to constantly tinker with the lineup and that does not work the overwhelming majority of the time.
Again, you missed your time. You look like a fool who has not watched the games, when you make this argument now. And yes, I feel better. Calling out idiots has a way of doing that.

But no, you are very wrong in the fact that our lineup currently has enough consistency for it to work for the remainder of the year.
Yeah, no I'm not. It's February. Having 5 consistent players (or really, about 7), is pretty good for this time of year. Stovall and Brown are pretty close to locking down their positions as well. I personally think Alexander should be close to that, but not sure what will happen there. The problem is nearly solved, and probably will be once Kruger's arm heals. So yet AGAIN, you sound stupid talking about the lineup, especially compared to last year.

Jarius
02-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Having 5 consistent players is fine right now, but it is not Fine for the remainder of the year. Like I said earlier, I think that we will have a good team this year and if Cohen ends up with 7 or 8 constants in the lineup we will be fine, but he hasn't had that in a long time and he will have to do it consistently for me to believe that he will. I hope hat you have a blessed day.

Taog Redloh
02-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Having 5 consistent players is fine right now, but it is not Fine for the remainder of the year. Like I said earlier, I think that we will have a good team this year and if Cohen ends up with 7 or 8 constants in the lineup we will be fine, but he hasn't had that in a long time and he will have to do it consistently for me to believe that he will. I hope hat you have a blessed day.
What are you bitching about again?

Jarius
02-29-2016, 10:42 AM
What are you bitching about again?

Im simply saying that I hope that the trend from the past does not continue into the future and that it is too early to tell if that will be the case. If you would have read my Posts instead of thinking of ways to Insult me you probably would have gathered that. I don't hate Cohen. I love the overwhelming majority of his characteristics. I simply hope that the lineup tinkering that has continued into conference play in years past does not continue this year.

smootness
02-29-2016, 10:46 AM
Humphreys and Collins. Oh, Humphreys got 2 hits today? I don't care.

Don't break out the stats either, I don't care what his average is. Rooker and Kruger have the RBIs. And if you are looking at stats, it paints Lowe in a bad light. But that guy has hit the ball hard every game. 1 strikeout thus far.

This is objectively dumb. You want to bench the guy hitting .381/.417/.619 but not the guy hitting .233/.343/.267? The guy hitting the ball hard every game has 1 XBH in 30 AB, but the guy who should be benched has 5 XBH in 21 AB?

But don't break out the stats, because you know your opinion is objectively better than the statistical record of how they've performed so far. Mm hmm.

CadaverDawg
02-29-2016, 11:00 AM
Putting Gavin Collins at 2nd base is a total waste of time. He will never be our 2nd baseman consistently, and it only steals innings for someone who could be. That's one small example of lineup and/or positioning stupidity that Cohen has already done through 8 games. Continuity matters, and not just in the lineup. Guys turn double plays at a higher clip when they have a chemistry at SS and 2B for example. We've already seen multiple errors on throws to 2B from SS or 2nd baseman.

My point is, how can we still not have any ****ing clue who are best 2 at each position are? Yes we have a few of those figured out, but not some very key positions at middle infield, 3B, and the corner outfield spots.

Are there going to be some guys given chances throughout the year? Sure. Nobody is saying he should pick 8 guys and play only those 8 for the whole year....but how can you ever develop any continuity when nobody knows where they'll be playing each game (if at all), nor who will be playing next to them? There'll always be SOME shuffling throughout a season....but guys already playing 3 and 4 positions in the field through 8 games?? That is "too much tinkering", in my opinion.

You can disagree all you want, I respect that....but you can't say it's 100% not an issue, bc I can already count multiple instances through 8 games where it could have played a role in miscues.

I'm not saying we can't overcome it and still be good....but if we make errors and get shut down offensively against SEC teams like we have against some of these patsies so far...we will get our asses kicked a lot. So allow some of these guys to settle into a position and get some of these errors and blunders out of the way early, so that we can be solid and ready to roll come SEC play. This musical chairs in the field is only going to lead to more errors and mental mistakes, in my opinion.

But we'll see. I feel like Cohen is close, but he just seems to overthink things sometimes, when just letting the talented guy you recruited do what you recruited him to do, may be the best option.

Y'all can argue all you want, but I'm a believer in continuity & chemistry in the order and in the field. Not to mention how it creates fewer rifts in the locker room when guys know their role. If you have a change here and there, no big deal....but a constantly changing lineup and/or field positions seems ridiculous, and makes me wonder why we are unable to identify our best hitters/fielders BEFORE the season starts like a majority of college baseball programs.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? Does a team like LSU just have better players and better teams...,or are they plugged into a role that they get accustomed to and therefore develop chemistry and continuity which makes them perform better in key situations? Obviously there is more to it than JUST continuity, but ignoring it altogether is foolish if you know baseball.

Talent is great, but the truly great coaches can take great talent and teach them to perform as a unit. We have not seemed like a "unit" in a few years now, for whatever reasons.

engie
02-29-2016, 11:24 AM
And what about the 3 prior years where we overperformed/were better as a team than our talent level -- especially late? Everyone agrees that the past two have been disappointing and that last year was an outright dumpster fire -- and that can not continue. But lineup tinkering is not what changed our fortunes last year. That was solely attributable to what happened on the mound while we were an average hitting team without power. No one is arguing that we can't get better at the plate either.

All this comfort talk is fine -- and it certainly matters to an extent. But the guy that needs 32 games of consistency to settle in and play to his potential is infinitely more likely to become unsettled when adversity hits. What happens when he has to go on the road for the first time in Oxford or Baton Rouge? Or heck -- anywhere in our division? The guys that need all that to perform are more times than not going to be the first ones to fall apart when it really matters. Which is my point in people arguing that the only way to do it is to follow that model. Some guys perform better under constant scrutiny and pressure. Those are the guys we recruited under Burroughs and that's what we will need to be successful under Cohen. Not a bunch of guys that are going to pout because they dropped to the six hole in a game or had to sit once for an equally talented guy to get an opportunity that you obviously at that point hadn't locked down.

No one is arguing that he tinkers a bit too much. The Collins to 2B deal was crazy. What I'm arguing is that -- on THIS team -- every single guy we are running out there is capable of being the guy -- and there is no possible way to know just yet who it should be.

WeWonItAll(Most)
02-29-2016, 11:26 AM
This is objectively dumb. You want to bench the guy hitting .381/.417/.619 but not the guy hitting .233/.343/.267? The guy hitting the ball hard every game has 1 XBH in 30 AB, but the guy who should be benched has 5 XBH in 21 AB?

But don't break out the stats, because you know your opinion is objectively better than the statistical record of how they've performed so far. Mm hmm.

We have a relatively large group of people on this board who think their own judgement is superior to stats, the coach's opinion, or scouts' opinions. You might as well quit trying to argue with them because there's no convincing them otherwise.

War Machine Dawg
02-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Putting Gavin Collins at 2nd base is a total waste of time. He will never be our 2nd baseman consistently, and it only steals innings for someone who could be. That's one small example of lineup and/or positioning stupidity that Cohen has already done through 8 games. Continuity matters, and not just in the lineup. Guys turn double plays at a higher clip when they have a chemistry at SS and 2B for example. We've already seen multiple errors on throws to 2B from SS or 2nd baseman.

My point is, how can we still not have any ****ing clue who are best 2 at each position are? Yes we have a few of those figured out, but not some very key positions at middle infield, 3B, and the corner outfield spots.

Are there going to be some guys given chances throughout the year? Sure. Nobody is saying he should pick 8 guys and play only those 8 for the whole year....but how can you ever develop any continuity when nobody knows where they'll be playing each game (if at all), nor who will be playing next to them? There'll always be SOME shuffling throughout a season....but guys already playing 3 and 4 positions in the field through 8 games?? That is "too much tinkering", in my opinion.

You can disagree all you want, I respect that....but you can't say it's 100% not an issue, bc I can already count multiple instances through 8 games where it could have played a role in miscues.

I'm not saying we can't overcome it and still be good....but if we make errors and get shut down offensively against SEC teams like we have against some of these patsies so far...we will get our asses kicked a lot. So allow some of these guys to settle into a position and get some of these errors and blunders out of the way early, so that we can be solid and ready to roll come SEC play. This musical chairs in the field is only going to lead to more errors and mental mistakes, in my opinion.

But we'll see. I feel like Cohen is close, but he just seems to overthink things sometimes, when just letting the talented guy you recruited do what you recruited him to do, may be the best option.

Y'all can argue all you want, but I'm a believer in continuity & chemistry in the order and in the field. Not to mention how it creates fewer rifts in the locker room when guys know their role. If you have a change here and there, no big deal....but a constantly changing lineup and/or field positions seems ridiculous, and makes me wonder why we are unable to identify our best hitters/fielders BEFORE the season starts like a majority of college baseball programs.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? Does a team like LSU just have better players and better teams...,or are they plugged into a role that they get accustomed to and therefore develop chemistry and continuity which makes them perform better in key situations? Obviously there is more to it than JUST continuity, but ignoring it altogether is foolish if you know baseball.

Talent is great, but the truly great coaches can take great talent and teach them to perform as a unit. We have not seemed like a "unit" in a few years now, for whatever reasons.

Bingo.

Taog Redloh
02-29-2016, 12:00 PM
You are right. My eyes are better than the stats (2 weeks into the year) in this case. Pretty obvious you have not watched the games because if you had, you would understand that Lowe is better than Humphreys.

Taog Redloh
02-29-2016, 12:05 PM
We have a relatively large group of people on this board who think their own judgement is superior to stats, the coach's opinion, or scouts' opinions. You might as well quit trying to argue with them because there's no convincing them otherwise.
Actually, the coach seems to agree with me since Lowe has started every single game. So there's that.

msstate7
02-29-2016, 12:07 PM
Awww baseball... There's something about it that makes us state fans gripe even more than usual

Bucky Dog
02-29-2016, 12:09 PM

This^^^^

For you guys not understanding this is what we are talking about then I'm sorry. Right now it's moving guys to different positions all the time and within the batting order to some extent.

engie
02-29-2016, 12:20 PM
This^^^^

For you guys not understanding this is what we are talking about then I'm sorry. Right now it's moving guys to different positions all the time and within the batting order to some extent.

My issue is that some of the people most vocal about this issue now were the same ones most vocal about wanting Pirtle on the bench when Cohen stuck with him and he didn't get going until conference play his first year in 2013(similar to Lowe this year unless I miss my guess). I don't have a problem with people arguing it either way -- there is no technically "right" answer -- but people being pissed in BOTH of those circumstances is bs -- and basically assures they are going to be angry regardless of what he does.

Homedawg
02-29-2016, 12:49 PM
This^^^^

If you want to complain about position moving, fine. I don't happen to agree with you on it , but I understand. The part about moving in the lineup is just crap. So hitting 6th vs 7th vs 8th reduces performance? Yea for a complete wuss it does. And that got doesn't need to be here.