PDA

View Full Version : Wooden bats only next weekend

Schultzy
02-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Has anyone else heard that The Dodger Stadium/Louisville Slugger tournament will be all wooden bat games next weekend?

I think it's kind of cool to do that but some may not.

And who is our starting pitcher today?

weblow
02-28-2016, 09:11 AM
Houston is our starting pitcher and I don't believe the wooden bats only is correct for a couple of reasons.

Number 1 being that the wooden bats are way to expensive and would kill the budget.

Number 2, and this is per Cohen, teams would get screwed with wooden bats because there are not enough to made to provide the top level wood to all college teams. He rambled on about this for about 20 minutes a month or so back when I heard him speak.

I am more pissed at not being able to watch any of the game online. Hoping that is just a nasty rumor and we will be able to watch some of them.

msstate7
02-28-2016, 09:18 AM
Houston is our starting pitcher and I don't believe the wooden bats only is correct for a couple of reasons.

Number 1 being that the wooden bats are way to expensive and would kill the budget.

Number 2, and this is per Cohen, teams would get screwed with wooden bats because there are not enough to made to provide the top level wood to all college teams. He rambled on about this for about 20 minutes a month or so back when I heard him speak.

I am more pissed at not being able to watch any of the game online. Hoping that is just a nasty rumor and we will be able to watch some of them.

The "Dodger" classic... Maybe the dodgers are providing bats. Seems like a good way for mlb scouts to see hitters use wood

Jack Lambert
02-28-2016, 09:26 AM

Not enough being made?

starkvegasdawg
02-28-2016, 09:31 AM
Not enough being made?
Shortage of good wood? Maybe they should try to find it first thing in the morning.

sandjunky
02-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Has anyone else heard that The Dodger Stadium/Louisville Slugger tournament will be all wooden bat games next weekend?

I think it's kind of cool to do that but some may not.

And who is our starting pitcher today?

The only games played at Dodger Stadium are on Sunday

Blackout
02-28-2016, 09:38 AM
If so we would win the Natty knowing how our summer all-stars handle the wood bats

CadaverDawg
02-28-2016, 10:14 AM
If so we would win the Natty knowing how our summer all-stars handle the wood bats

We should hire a Cape coach as hitting coach, and switch to wooden bats. We'd score 8-10 per game.*

RocketDawg
02-28-2016, 12:52 PM
I would like to see college go back to wood bats entirely, mainly because that's what I used in Little League through Babe Ruth. There was plenty of "good wood" then and I'm sure there is now. Just seems to be a traditional part of the game to me, and I like a "crack" rather than a "clink". Same could be said about golf I suppose.

Steakonastick
02-28-2016, 01:31 PM
I always heard the problem was money. It would not be a problem for us having to buy let's say 250 bats for a season. But the two teams we are playing this weekend would struggle. So you would have major teams swinging top of the line bats. While the JSU's of the world would have Walmart wood bats.

RougeDawg
02-28-2016, 01:51 PM

Not sure if you forgot these "**" but there's really only one difference in our players in Maroon and Summer Leagues. You decide what is different.

weblow
02-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Cohen said that wooden bats are extremely expensive and the larger programs would even feel the pain of buying bats and them breaking. Said it would be a major expense and the smaller programs would go broke trying to just buy bats for a season. Wood bat makers refuse to deal or do contracts where they provide bats to schools.

He also said there was a serious shortage of top wood to manufacturer the number that would be needed and a % of teams would be playing with subpar bats compared to others. (Much like we did last year with adidas bats.).....I threw that last part in.

RC3
02-28-2016, 03:57 PM
Sounds like there may not be enough supply to meet demand. I'm Know what my investment will be in if pressure mounts to switch to wooden bats

CadaverDawg
02-28-2016, 06:23 PM
Well if we can't even afford the money necessary to be able to listen to MSU baseball AND basketball games in 2016, we pribably can't afford wood bats.**

Todd4State
02-28-2016, 08:42 PM
I doubt it's true unless the Dodgers or some bat company are providing them.

sbcmortgageman
02-29-2016, 05:52 AM
Shortage of good wood? Maybe they should try to find it first thing in the morning.

Shortage of wood? We should contract Freeze to help chomp down some trees.

Jacksondevildog
02-29-2016, 07:09 AM
They also make composite wooden bats that don't break. They've been around for years. You would think that some of you would know that. Baseball insiders that is.

bulldogcountry1
02-29-2016, 08:17 AM
They also make composite wooden bats that don't break. They've been around for years. You would think that some of you would know that. Baseball insiders that is.

Yeah, I played in an adult wood bat league for a few years. I broke an ash wood bat about once every 5 games until I got a laminated BBCOR bamboo bat. It lasted longer than I did.

Steakonastick
02-29-2016, 08:35 AM
Composite would be the way to go. You almost have to try to break them. That's what we always used in adult wooden league in Jackson.