PDA

View Full Version : Basketball team ...

dawgday166
02-27-2016, 03:52 PM
is playing better every game. Howland's doing a good job. Ball movement, sharing the ball, and defense all getting better.

Coach34
02-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Finally became the team they should have been when Feb got here. Something to build on for next year

Tbonewannabe
02-27-2016, 03:58 PM
I hope we go to the CBI so the seniors have a chance at post season.

engie
02-27-2016, 03:59 PM
Arguably the most improved MSU team in history throughout the course of the season. At least in my lifetime.

Of course "most improved" is a loaded compliment -- because it means you have to suck on the front end.

dawgday166
02-27-2016, 03:59 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic. They might surprise and make tourney next year.

Tbonewannabe
02-27-2016, 04:01 PM
IJ Ready has turned into a good point guard.

dawgday166
02-27-2016, 04:02 PM
Arguably the most improved MSU team in history throughout the course of the season. At least in my lifetime.

Of course "most improved" is a loaded compliment -- because it means you have to suck on the front end.

Yea ... we hardly see an MSU team improve this much. It's usually the other way around ... fade down the stretch.

RougeDawg
02-27-2016, 04:06 PM

If we can play like we have the last two weeks in the tourney, we can beat anyone. How sweet would that be for our group of senioirs? From all they've been through to a NCAA tourney birth would be a story for generations.

engie
02-27-2016, 04:07 PM
Yea ... we hardly see an MSU team improve this much. It's usually the other way around ... fade down the stretch.

Under the past two guys... I don't remember RW teams ever fading -- just had a bunch of them that were either great or terrible...

engie
02-27-2016, 04:09 PM
If we can play like we have the last two weeks in the tourney, we can beat anyone. How sweet would that be for our group of senioirs? From all they've been through to a NCAA tourney birth would be a story for generations.

I'd put some degree of anticipation into this if it wasn't for double byes now. Upsets are gonna be tough when you are playing "better" teams two games more fresh...

dawgday166
02-27-2016, 04:15 PM
Under the past two guys... I don't remember RW teams ever fading -- just had a bunch of them that were either great or terrible...

RW? I'm drawing a blank here. Edited to add: Duh ... Richard Williams. And I think you're correct. Haha ... hell he was just interviewed too.

RougeDawg
02-27-2016, 04:16 PM
I'd put some degree of anticipation into this if it wasn't for double byes now. Upsets are gonna be tough when you are playing "better" teams two games more fresh...

We can there theoretically slip into the top 11 in the league if we win out and some others lose. We are only 0.5 games out of 11 after this. Tenn loss today would tie us with them at 11

engie
02-27-2016, 04:23 PM
We can there theoretically slip into the top 11 in the league if we win out and some others lose. We are only 0.5 games out of 11 after this. Tenn loss today would tie us with them at 11

That bears watching then...

RougeDawg
02-27-2016, 04:47 PM
That bears watching then...

Also need a little more help but could be tied with TN after today, with them holding tie breaker by beating us. We have to win out to have any chance of moving into top 10 and can be top 9 if ARK or Bama lose out. Need a lot to happen but looking at each teams remaining schedule that we need to lose, most play each other and ARK stills has SC. None of it matters unless we win out, starting Wed night after getting back to our routine bear season sweeps.

maroonmania
02-27-2016, 05:01 PM
As I stated in the game thread, wish we could somehow start this season over. We are playing now like what I thought this team could be when the season started. Great to end the season this way however its basically starting over again next year with a LOT more talent but a lot less experience.

BayouDawg
02-27-2016, 05:03 PM
The team looked great today! I loved how we trapped the short corner and took away the initial outlet to force them to throw cross court. Great gameplan, Great effort, Great ball movement, Great defensive effort will equal a Great win more times than not.

Liverpooldawg
02-27-2016, 05:15 PM
That's the best win for MSU basketball since Stansbury. I can't wait to see where Howland is going to take us once the talent level improves. It's amazing how much this team has improved. B

smootness
02-27-2016, 05:32 PM
The fanbase needs to call for a variation of the throwback uniforms to become permanent, a la what we did with the football uniforms 2 years ago. Our real uniforms suck and the throwbacks look awesome.

ScottH
02-27-2016, 05:39 PM
Coaching can make a difference.

starkvegasdawg
02-27-2016, 06:10 PM
Where would you put this team this year if Howland had become our coach last year?

drunkernhelldawg
02-27-2016, 06:18 PM
I'm so happy with the way we're playing. Would be great to get to NIT. Beautiful defense and tough offense. The 1996 team in the house. Great day to be a Bulldog.

Bothrops
02-27-2016, 06:54 PM
This team deserves some praise, they're finally clicking. Howland doing work.

MaxedOutMaroon
02-27-2016, 07:04 PM
Not sure if noted yet, but matched last years SEC win total now. We have a really good shot at winning these last 2. Will be tough in Oxford but we've figure out defense.

It_Could_Happen
02-27-2016, 07:10 PM
I'm absolutely stunned at what Howland has been able to do with this team offensively and defensively. We look like a legit tournament contender right now.

shannondawg
02-27-2016, 07:35 PM
Just reading this thread, just got home from game. Seemed like Hump of old.

Tenn, Ark just starting, who to pull for?

smootness
02-27-2016, 07:53 PM
Just reading this thread, just got home from game. Seemed like Hump of old.

Tenn, Ark just starting, who to pull for?

Probably Arkansas, since a Tennessee loss pulls us even with them, but either result helps us. If Tennessee wins, both teams are only a game ahead of us, and I think there's a pretty good chance at least one of them loses its last two. So if we beat Auburn, I think we stand a pretty good chance of the 11 regardless of the result of this game.

sbcmortgageman
02-27-2016, 07:59 PM
Hard to believe this team lost to a SWAC team. Sword, IJ and Q have improved so much this year.

msstate7
02-27-2016, 08:01 PM
Probably Arkansas, since a Tennessee loss pulls us even with them, but either result helps us. If Tennessee wins, both teams are only a game ahead of us, and I think there's a pretty good chance at least one of them loses its last two. So if we beat Auburn, I think we stand a pretty good chance of the 11 regardless of the result of this game.

If we're trying to get in some sort of postseason play (CBI or Vegas deal), wouldn't it be better for us to play auburn again in that first sec tourney game? Let's just assume (I'm very doubtful though) that we win our last 2 to get to 15-15... We'd need to win 2 in the sec tourney to get above .500. Wouldn't it be better for us to play the first game vs auburn? Of course, if we want to shoot the moon (win the sec tourney), the bye would be better

msstate7
02-27-2016, 08:03 PM
Hard to believe this team lost to a SWAC team. Sword, IJ and Q have improved so much this year.

Southern, umkc, aTm (without house), and tenn (without Moore) losses are what are keeping us from pushing our way on the bubble. Really should have won all 4

I seen it dawg
02-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Howland finally broke them down and they bought in. Damn fun to watch today. They absolutely whipped South Carolinas and it was never a doubt.

smootness
02-27-2016, 08:38 PM
If we're trying to get in some sort of postseason play (CBI or Vegas deal), wouldn't it be better for us to play auburn again in that first sec tourney game? Let's just assume (I'm very doubtful though) that we win our last 2 to get to 15-15... We'd need to win 2 in the sec tourney to get above .500. Wouldn't it be better for us to play the first game vs auburn? Of course, if we want to shoot the moon (win the sec tourney), the bye would be better

Good point. You've swayed me, I agree.