PDA

View Full Version : Wilson w/ 4.9. Ouch.

Big4Dawg
02-27-2016, 12:32 PM
Not good

Irondawg
02-27-2016, 12:37 PM
I we curious how fast he really was as he never really ran by anybody. But was great at body position

defiantdog
02-27-2016, 12:43 PM
Duke Williams ran a 4.73.... that's bad for both of them. Fuller ran a 4.32.... too bad the guy can't catch worth a damn.

Dawgface
02-27-2016, 12:47 PM
That is pathetic. Won't help his draft stock.

Big4Dawg
02-27-2016, 12:50 PM
Won't help? It will hurt

defiantdog
02-27-2016, 12:50 PM
4.85 on his second run.... Bad technique

Bdawg
02-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Guess 4.85 sounds a little better than 4.9, but we all know what made Wilson great. And it was not his speed

jumbo
02-27-2016, 12:52 PM
Hopefully he can post 4.7 or better at pro day. That's not good at all.

dawgday166
02-27-2016, 12:55 PM
I we curious how fast he really was as he never really ran by anybody. But was great at body position

Me too .. but didn't expect a 4.9. Thought more along the lines of high 4.6s to 4.7s range.

Our WRs are pretty good, but don't stretch the field vertically too much ... although Gray seems to help with that some so far.

DancingRabbit
02-27-2016, 12:58 PM
He needs to get a good trainer and get it in the 4.7s on pro day. If he can do that maybe it won't hurt him too much.

Tbonewannabe
02-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Just want to remind everyone Dexter McCluster ran around 4.6 at the combine then ran around 4.4 at his pro day. Bear just has to be faster at his pro day.

Commercecomet24
02-27-2016, 01:01 PM
Wow I'm shocked at that time. That's gonna hurt him. He better get a faster time at pro day or he's gonna drop big time.

HoopsDawg
02-27-2016, 01:10 PM
Wow I'm shocked at that time. That's gonna hurt him. He better get a faster time at pro day or he's gonna drop big time.

It's slow enough that he may not even get drafted. You have to run sub 4.8.

Tbonewannabe
02-27-2016, 01:14 PM

He definitely has to run below 4.8 at pro day. It helps that he is the biggest WR and there hasn't been any big WR freaks like Calvin Johnson.

mcain31
02-27-2016, 01:19 PM
There are a lot of slow times by Wide Outs today

Tbonewannabe
02-27-2016, 01:22 PM
Same with QBS. No one blew it up but Driskel.

Steakonastick
02-27-2016, 01:23 PM
He will drop .2 at pro day just because of hand timing.

Commercecomet24
02-27-2016, 01:30 PM

Yeah if he doesn't get in 4.7s he won't be drafted. Heck you got linemen running 5.0. He's gotta get that down.

Reason2succeed
02-27-2016, 01:44 PM
Fans like 40 times. I'm not sure how much pro coaches really care. What is more important is game speed, route running, consistency, and technique. The problem is that I'm not sure how many of those other things Bear excels at either.

War Machine Dawg
02-27-2016, 01:58 PM
Further proof Bear needed another year. But good luck to him. Made his bed, now he has to lie in it.

Commercecomet24
02-27-2016, 02:03 PM
Further proof Bear needed another year. But good luck to him. Made his bed, now he has to lie in it.

Absolutely needed another year. I hope he does well but he may be costing himself money. This is a pretty deep wr draft. I'm wishing the best for him and all our guys.

Dawg61
02-27-2016, 02:08 PM
Told ya C34 like a year ago. Is it too late for Bear to come back?

HSVDawg
02-27-2016, 02:09 PM

Why? Another year isn't going to make him any faster. He has professional football aspirations as his career choice and he he only has a limited window to cash that in. Might as well get on with it and start making money.

ckDOG
02-27-2016, 03:02 PM
Some of y'all got no concept of fast. 40 times are so distorted. I was going to be thrilled if got a 4.7 time. He's not getting drafted off speed. He's getting drafted off hands, frame, route running, and jumping.

Coach34
02-27-2016, 03:08 PM
lol- He is getting drafted. Thats not even a concern. But he did hurt himself some today

HancockCountyDog
02-27-2016, 03:14 PM

He wasn't going to get faster by coming back. Now you know why Paidwell didn't run the 40. My guess is that He is in the 4.7 range.

Tbonewannabe
02-27-2016, 03:27 PM
He wasn't going to get faster by coming back. Now you know why Paidwell didn't run the 40. My guess is that He is in the 4.7 range.

It is funny that everything they were saying about Treadwell would also apply to Bear. I personally think the difference between them is Bear has 3 years of football experience.

Dawg61
02-27-2016, 03:28 PM
Some of y'all got no concept of fast. 40 times are so distorted. I was going to be thrilled if got a 4.7 time. He's not getting drafted off speed. He's getting drafted off hands, frame, route running, and jumping.

4.9 hurts. Bad. Maybe he should bulk up and be a hybrid WR/TE. He can block like a TE.

BoomBoom
02-27-2016, 06:00 PM
Not good

who's advising this guy? how can you go into this decisions not having an idea of where you at with professionally timed 40s? Bear, whoever is advising you tell him you are doing him a favor by letting him go without charging him for the millions he just cost you, and go get a professional.

ckDOG
02-27-2016, 06:09 PM
4.9 hurts. Bad. Maybe he should bulk up and be a hybrid WR/TE. He can block like a TE.

It for sure doesn't help, but he's a big bodied WR that's gonna make his money off jump balls and short routes using his body. He may prove useful blocking in the nfl but his bread and butter will be getting to the inside of his man. We all know He's not getting substantially faster coming back a year. This is a freak out by folks who think "fast" is a sub 4.5 route. You don't have to be fast to get yards at the WR if your frame and route is there. Will he be a deep threat outside of a jump ball scenario? Absolutely not. Nobody ever argued that though. Bear is going to make money at the next level. Can't wait to see it.

Although the professional evaluators can get past the 40 times, I'm starting to see why treadwell didn't run. He's probably a true 4.6 guy - maybe sub 4.6 at his best. Again, he's not a speedster but a physical receiver that can work his man. Probably didn't want to risk running a 4.65 - 4.70 and risk dropping even though he knows speed isn't his money maker.

MoreCowbell
02-27-2016, 06:56 PM
Damn I just saw a scout on Twitter say DW's 40 time and Vert jump were bad enough to knock him out of draft completely. He's really gonna have to put in the work to change those come pro day, and hope he will. He might have cost himself some real money today.

ckDOG
02-27-2016, 07:06 PM
Vert more important for a guy like Wilson than 40. That sucks

smootness
02-27-2016, 07:36 PM
who's advising this guy? how can you go into this decisions not having an idea of where you at with professionally timed 40s? Bear, whoever is advising you tell him you are doing him a favor by letting him go without charging him for the millions he just cost you, and go get a professional.

So what is your advice? 'You need to come back and get faster'?

Brahmabull
02-27-2016, 07:41 PM
Wilson had the worst 40, the worst vertical and third worst broad jump of all WR. No way to sugar coat it, that will hurt him big time. Especially the jump numbers. He is what he is which is why he needed to focus on an education. Hard for some to realize. Not saying he can't make a team, but it will be difficult.

Political Hack
02-27-2016, 10:42 PM
Not good. I said it a million times. I can't believe he made this decision.

BoomBoom
02-28-2016, 12:35 AM
So what is your advice? 'You need to come back and get faster'?

no, just don't run the 40. i thought that was obvious.

maroonmania
02-28-2016, 10:38 PM
no, just don't run the 40. i thought that was obvious.

Hard to believe that DW was outrun in the 40 by RK.

Commercecomet24
02-28-2016, 10:47 PM
Not good. I said it a million times. I can't believe he made this decision.

This is accurate. That time gonna hurt him bad. He has good size but that ain't gonna get it done. It wouldn't hurt him so bad if he was more polished, but he doesn't catch the ball with his hands well or use his height like he should. I wish and hope the best for him but his overall showing didn't help him any.

dawgoneyall
02-29-2016, 07:35 AM
Why is everyone saying he could not get faster in a year's time?
Not true.

Jack Lambert
02-29-2016, 08:48 AM
Just want to remind everyone Dexter McCluster ran around 4.6 at the combine then ran around 4.4 at his pro day. Bear just has to be faster at his pro day.

If I am not mistaken they use lasers at the combine but stop clocks at the pro day. Which do you think they put more stock in if true?

Political Hack
02-29-2016, 12:20 PM
This is accurate. That time gonna hurt him bad. He has good size but that ain't gonna get it done. It wouldn't hurt him so bad if he was more polished, but he doesn't catch the ball with his hands well or use his height like he should. I wish and hope the best for him but his overall showing didn't help him any.

I said it before he announced, but if he gets a single first down next year in an NFL regular season game it'll be more than I anticipated. Love what he did for State but he screwed himself here and I hate it for him. He needs time more than any WR I can think of.

drunkernhelldawg
02-29-2016, 02:51 PM
He's never been an outrun you receiver. He's a receiver that comes up with the football in a crowd, no matter how big the crowd is. I say he gets drafted. The 40 time doesn't help him obviously, but I also don't think it hurts him that much.

blacklistedbully
02-29-2016, 03:19 PM
Is it, in fact, too late for him to ask the NCAA to let him rescind his decision to make himself available for the draft and come back?

He may not get appreciably faster, but he could improve his vertical, make an even better name for himself as a possession receiver, and maybe even see if he could become a TE (yes, I know 1 year is not much time). If nothing else, coming back gives him at least a chance to not be at the bottom next year.

Commercecomet24
02-29-2016, 04:13 PM
It's not just his 40 time. He's just not polished in other areas the nfl looks at as well. If it was just his time that would be one thing. He doesn't catch the ball with his hands well, he doesn't use his height to his advantage and he's not a great route runner. And to Bear's credit he's come a long way just to be playing football the last 4 years or so. I hope like heck he's successful but with the all these things combined, its not good.

CadaverDawg
02-29-2016, 04:43 PM
Wonder if a move to Tight End is a possibility?

Political Hack
02-29-2016, 06:13 PM
It's not just his 40 time. He's just not polished in other areas the nfl looks at as well. If it was just his time that would be one thing. He doesn't catch the ball with his hands well, he doesn't use his height to his advantage and he's not a great route runner. And to Bear's credit he's come a long way just to be playing football the last 4 years or so. I hope like heck he's successful but with the all these things combined, its not good.

These are the main issues. He doesn't extend his hands away from his body to catch the ball. His catch radius is small for a big WR. People keep saying "possession guy" and speed doesn't matter as much, but that's not the case here unfortunately. I hate to say it, but if I'm an NFL GM he's not getting a roster spot on my team until he learns to catch with his hands away from his body. I'm concerned he won't be drafted.

drunkernhelldawg
02-29-2016, 09:06 PM
These are the main issues. He doesn't extend his hands away from his body to catch the ball. His catch radius is small for a big WR. People keep saying "possession guy" and speed doesn't matter as much, but that's not the case here unfortunately. I hate to say it, but if I'm an NFL GM he's not getting a roster spot on my team until he learns to catch with his hands away from his body. I'm concerned he won't be drafted.

My feeling is that he's better than he's showing at the combine. I have no idea how much the combine figures in draft decisions. I'm not well enough up on the board to say whether he'll be drafted. I believe he can play, and I hope he does well. I know that I've seen him make some catches that most receivers wouldn't make. From last season, his touchdown at the front right corner of the end zone stands out in my mind, but there are others as well.

He may just be having a bad mental week. Maybe he's not dealing with the pressure of the combine as well as others. If that's true, it doesn't say much about his overall future prospects.

dawgday166
02-29-2016, 09:16 PM
I love Bear and he's made some big catches for us, especially on the slant. But I believe he's a possession receiver ... he can't really stretch the field vertically. Add to that that his high jump sorta confirmed what I've wondered which is ... why over the course of 2 years I can think of only one catch he made in the back corner of the end zone. Some of that was on Dak tho but Cyrus Jones was able to keep him from catching the ball up high in back corner if I recall correctly. Cyrus can jump, but he shouldn't be able to get up as high as Bear.

parabrave
03-01-2016, 01:01 AM
Wonder if a move to Tight End is a possibility?

Ever since I saw him blocking for the first time I said that his NFL position would be a tight end.

dawgday166
03-01-2016, 07:37 AM
Ever since I saw him blocking for the first time I said that his NFL position would be a tight end.

That's kinda where I think he'll wind up, although he better increase his speed maybe even for TE. When D linemen are outrunning you, that ain't good.