PDA

View Full Version : Off topic question for the board

nicks_hammer
02-27-2016, 08:31 AM
Question: Does anyone know what high schools in MS offer Orchestra? We are preparing to move back to MS and our kids do the strings thing. If this is the wrong forum for this question go ahead and move it.

BulldogBacker
02-27-2016, 08:52 AM
Question: Does anyone know what high schools in MS offer Orchestra? We are preparing to move back to MS and our kids do the strings thing. If this is the wrong forum for this question go ahead and move it.

I know for sure Starkville does...a friend's daughter played the flute and got a music scholarship to State. A few Starkville High School Band members were also members of the Mississippi State University Philharmonic Orchestra, including the young lady I know.

Westdawg
02-27-2016, 09:18 AM
I think Tupelo and Madison central do. And a couple of the bigger schools down south part of state.
I have a couple friends that are band directors in MS i will ask
Should know something for you today

BeastMan
02-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Madison Central has a marching band and concert band. Concert has symphonic and wood winds sections according to this link. Other than this link I have no idea about anything band at MC besides they played after we scored TDs

http://www.madisoncentralband.com

nicks_hammer
02-27-2016, 09:48 AM
ok that sounds great. I have 1 that plays cello and the other on violin.

Dawgtini
02-27-2016, 10:38 AM
I think there is also a statewide HS orchestra. Not certain. Also, I know my kids are in the MS Baptist All State Choir and they also have kids that play all sorts of instruments for their arrangements - including violin and cello.

BulldogBear
02-27-2016, 11:16 AM
My daughter is at the MS school of the Arts. Unfortunately, at this time that's still a dead end. There are plans to add instrumental music as a discipline at some point, but not as of yet. Right now they only offer Voice, Visual Arts, Literature, Dance, and Theatre. Other than that I'm quite ignorant in regards to the Arts offered at MS High Schools.