PDA

View Full Version : We Finally Got A Kickin Coach

ShotgunDawg
02-26-2016, 06:13 PM
Former NFL kicker Chris Boniol named the special teams quality control coach.

Mullen has made some good moves on the staff. Just wish we could recruit better on the OL

BrunswickDawg
02-26-2016, 06:15 PM
No way, Mullen is too stubborn to make changes***

In all seriousness, it looks like we are starting to put the SEC $ to good use.

War Machine Dawg
02-26-2016, 06:16 PM
Isn't that an off the field position? If so, nothing has changed.

AROB44
02-26-2016, 06:18 PM

Mullen has made some good moves on the staff. Just wish we could recruit better on the OL

Never miss a good opportunity to bitch.

ShotgunDawg
02-26-2016, 06:21 PM

I'm not sure about that. Would still help either her way. Put a Kickin net in the weight room and just kick inside.

Commercecomet24
02-26-2016, 06:23 PM
It appears Mullen is putting together the best staff we have seen here.

ShotgunDawg
02-26-2016, 06:23 PM

Never miss a good opportunity to bitch.

Absolutely about that position unit.

You want to know why Dak is rising up draft boards?

Because every NFL scout watches his film and says, "WOW, that OL is an abortion. Imagine what he could do with a competent one."

Commercecomet24
02-26-2016, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure about that. Would still help either her way. Put a Kickin net in the weight room and just kick inside.

Yeah I doubt he hired a guy with boniols credentials just to shuffle papers. Guy was a NFL kicker a long time and pretty good.

Dawgtini
02-26-2016, 06:24 PM
I think QC coaches can help on the field. Either way they can help in scheme, game planning, and film study.

War Machine Dawg
02-26-2016, 06:26 PM

True enough. At least you get an extra pair of eyes on those units.

War Machine Dawg
02-26-2016, 06:26 PM
I think QC coaches can help on the field. Either way they can help in scheme, game planning, and film study.

Good info.

Commercecomet24
02-26-2016, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=AROB44;512176]

Absolutely about that position unit.

You want to know why Dak is rising up draft boards?

Because every NFL scout watches his film and says, "WOW, that OL is an abortion. Imagine what he could do with a competent one."

Actually outside of the Bama and UNM games(which were brutal) the OL protected dak well. They only gave up 14 total sacks in the other 11 games.

Commercecomet24
02-26-2016, 06:28 PM

This is true, they can coach on field as well.

djaymsu5
02-26-2016, 06:57 PM
Anybody hearing anything on a possible DLine coach?

ScottH
02-26-2016, 07:11 PM
Anybody hearing anything on a possible DLine coach?

Names of interest from "elsewhere".... ECU DL coach, Tx Tech DL coach, KY DL coach

Dawgtini
02-26-2016, 07:20 PM
Names of interest from "elsewhere".... ECU DL coach, Tx Tech DL coach, KY DL coach
UK DL coach would be a good geat. Wasn't he at a MS juco before he went to UK?

dawgday166
02-26-2016, 07:49 PM
Seems like Mullen is trying to move in a good direction. I'll give him that from what I've read about the coaches he has hired.

On the off-the-field position ... he can still coach during practices and such can't he?

djaymsu5
02-26-2016, 08:04 PM

Thanks

Todd4State
02-26-2016, 09:15 PM
Boniol is a home run hire as a coach. I think he has NFL coaching experience as well.

Really Clark?
02-26-2016, 09:17 PM
Boniol is a home run hire as a coach. I think he has NFL coaching experience as well.

With the Raiders and Cowboys I believe.

Really Clark?
02-26-2016, 09:25 PM

The ECU coach is Deke Adams, USM graduate. Coached at So Car since 2013 until this year I believe.

Lumpy Chucklelips
02-26-2016, 09:32 PM
What does Bonoil's position pay? That can't be a high salaried position can it?

RougeDawg
02-26-2016, 09:59 PM
True enough. At least you get an extra pair of eyes on those units.

If the main job responsibility is "keeping eyes on unit(s)" there is hope for the Spice Brothers after all.

yjnkdawg
02-26-2016, 11:29 PM
With the Raiders and Cowboys I believe.

Per Wikipedia: "Boniol was an assistant coach for the Dallas Cowboys (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys) from 2010 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NFL_season) to 2013 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_season), and focused on kickers and punters. In 2014 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NFL_season), he was hired by the Oakland Raiders (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_Raiders) as an assistant to special teams (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_teams) coordinator Bobby April (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_April).[8] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Boniol#cite_note-8)

yjnkdawg
02-26-2016, 11:39 PM
What does Bonoil's position pay? That can't be a high salaried position can it?

It must be pretty high with his NFL credentials. He also has had a "Football Kicking Camp"

http://www.chrisboniol.com/ (http://www.chrisboniol.com/)

TaleofTwoDogs
02-27-2016, 12:04 AM
Per an Article by Dan Duggan of NJ.com ....

"The NCAA has a strict limit on the number of on-field coaches. In addition to the head coach, teams are allowed nine full-time assistants and four graduate assistants. But there are no limitations to the size of the off-field support staff.

With programs always seeking an edge, quality control coaches have been added to assist the full-time staff. The 432-page NCAA rules manual makes no mention of quality control coaches, but the main restriction is that they aren't allowed to work with players on the field."

Dawgtini was mostly correct but I don't think they can coach on the field.

Commercecomet24
02-27-2016, 01:03 AM
Per an Article by Dan Duggan of NJ.com ....

"The NCAA has a strict limit on the number of on-field coaches. In addition to the head coach, teams are allowed nine full-time assistants and four graduate assistants. But there are no limitations to the size of the off-field support staff.

With programs always seeking an edge, quality control coaches have been added to assist the full-time staff. The 432-page NCAA rules manual makes no mention of quality control coaches, but the main restriction is that they aren't allowed to work with players on the field."

Dawgtini was mostly correct but I don't think they can coach on the field.

However you can be very creative with the way the qc coaches interact with the players.

Reason2succeed
02-27-2016, 10:06 AM
However you can be very creative with the way the qc coaches interact with the players.

Exactly! He's is going to "creatively" work with the kickers.

Overall it seems like Mullen has gotten serious about beating Alabama and LSU. I don't know what the change is. Is Strick forcing this or is this Mullen on his own? Regardless it seems that our team is about to go through a major overhaul.

I think this is the right time after losing Dak and all the other guys to the NFL. This next progression of our program should take us to Atlanta.

mic
02-27-2016, 10:19 AM
We should do the same thing if we hire a younger less experienced DL coach..
Bring in an ex NFL DL guru or someone who is out of coaching this year And gain their knowledge and input...

I said this months ago... Our football staff and football program as a whole was dropping the ball here not hiring more behind the scene personal.. . Looks like we are doing something about it now..

Dawgtini
02-27-2016, 10:33 AM

Overall it seems like Mullen has gotten serious about beating Alabama and LSU. I don't know what the change is. Is Strick forcing this or is this Mullen on his own? Regardless it seems that our team is about to go through a major overhaul.

I think this is the right time after losing Dak and all the other guys to the NFL. This next progression of our program should take us to Atlanta.

I've said it before in other posts, but I think Mullen - for whatever reason you want to believe be it offers outside or internal reflection or both - has recommitted himself to long term success with MSU and he is making changes and adjustments to help in taking that next step - on the field, of the field, in recruiting, game planning, and support. I am excited to see where this takes our program!

BrunswickDawg
02-27-2016, 11:22 AM

Maybe Mullen has been pushing for adding staff the whole time and it took falling behind for Scott to open up the purse strings?? Sorry, it's not a purse, it's a European carry-all.

shannondawg
02-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Wouldn't it stand to reason that hiring a NFL kicker that played for umpteen years, that he would be imparting his wisdom to the kickers, in some form of fashion?

Y'all remind me of old women, dragging something out,

WPDawg
02-27-2016, 12:43 PM
Wouldn't it stand to reason that hiring a NFL kicker that played for umpteen years, that he would be imparting his wisdom to the kickers, in some form of fashion?

Ha. Bravo

Commercecomet24
02-27-2016, 01:04 PM

Well done, Sir!